Current time: 09-02-2014, 07:06 AM Hello There, Guest!
(LoginRegister and start posting!) or Connect with Facebook!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eiichiro Oda's Recent Interview with ChinaTimes (COMPLETE!)
rio poneglyph Online
訳者

Mood: Sleepy
(Source: ChinaTimes / Translation: rio poneglyph from the http://opforum.net)

After hearing the journalist's guess about One Piece's ending that 'One Piece = Won Peace', meaning the treasure Luffy will finally find is world peace, Oda smiled and said "Indeed, the name of One Piece does have something to do with the ending of One Piece, but I can't tell you the exact reason/clue, or it'd be meaningless."

Later, he said "After 17 years, after more and more new characters being created in the story, I couldn't stop inspiration coming into my head. I think I can continue drawing for another decade." - He also says that more members will join the Straw Hats! "And there will be new nakama, they will show up successively."

When talking about the creation and setting of Devil Fruit, Oda said it's inspired by Doraemon, all the inspirations come from daily life. E.g. Luffy's Gomu Gomu no Mi was created because I (Oda) was too lazy to move out of my seat to get something, it'd be great if I could elongate my arm. Oda also said he wants Robin's Hana Hana no Mi the most because he then could have many hands drawing at the same time. Besides, some of the devil fruits that are eaten by female characters are relevant to some of the most desired women's wishes in real life. Example: Alvida's Sube Sube no Mi, that among its powers, changed completely Alvida's appearance.

[Image: LFzMBkx.jpg]

Before One Piece was first serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump, Oda had experienced a bottleneck-period of manga creation, that period once made him so sad and disappointed that he couldn't even get off bed.

He says while smiling that after One Piece has been created, 'inspiration never stopped coming', but before that, he also had low tide in his career. "At that time, any work I submitted had always been denied and unaccepted, I felt so anxious and pressured with no achievement when I found my fellow mangakas started publishing their mangas in weekly magazines, I thought I didn't have any talent of drawing."

Until there's this editor who told him "A hard-working person like you will get what you deserve!" - Then Oda gradually relieved those downhearted feelings and conceptualized One Piece, which amazed everyone with this single brilliant feat in manga world.

Nowadays, One Piece has become Japan's national manga with vast diehard fans. In his entire 20 years of career, he keeps drawing almost every day even when he was hospitalized resulting from over-working. When talking about manga, he still seems to be very happy, "Manga is nothing like a job, I'm always very pleased as long as I'm drawing."

Oda frankly says "As I'm getting older, I've slightly adjusted my sleep time. I go to bed at 8 (morning) and wake up at 12 (noon), making sure that I have 4 hours of sleep. Don't need to worry about my health, it's all fine now."

Oda is really kind when his wife has been mentioned in the interview. When asked about how Oda treats his wife, he says with honesty "Hmm, I'm on my own in work, but I indeed listen a lot to my wife in daily life."

For his beloved manga, Oda often works day and night, he doesn't even have time for relaxation or travel, when asked about why his wife could accept a marriage like this, Oda replies with confidence "Oh, that's right, but if she couldn't accept the busy me, she wouldn't have married me!"

Oda decides to put the inspirations that he got in Taiwan into manga.

On the very day of interview, Oda dresses in t-shirt and jeans. His appearance is no different compared to what he was like two decades ago, only one thing different is the stylish mustache on his face.

"Ah, if I'm gonna describe myself, I'd say I'm a super nice person!" - Oda says with a big laugh. Actually, readers will like him when reading and then liking his manga. "Because my manga reflects myself, for example, Luffy likes eating meat, that's me."

Due to the lack of time traveling abroad, Oda reveals that all the dreamlike kingdoms and fantasy scenes are inspired by books and images. He always talks to editors about plots and scenes.

As for this exhibition, the concept of making manga three-dimensional is what Oda cares the most. "I don't like, in exhibition, the walls were simply hung with artworks. It's like visiting a museum, which is very boring. I want the audience to be happy when they come to the exhibition and blend into manga scenes."

[Image: ZAxLpaR.jpg]

Source: ChinaTimes
Translation: rio poneglyph from the http://opforum.net

[Image: opauxtX.jpg]
07-08-2014 06:25 AM
Find Quote
Albert Newton Offline
young scientist..

Mood: None
Protector Chopper's Hat
RE: Eiichiro Oda's Recent Interview with ChinaTimes (COMPLETE!)
hehe.....thats a lengthy one....but ...well...its worth reading.....Biggrin

and....damn.....he's adjusted his sleeping time to 4 hours..!! ..Confused and thats sufficient..? ...Mann....thats way too much work.... well...thats our Oda for ya....cant be helped with this huge Fan Base...Tongue ....

and....he said there's gonna be more members to join SH crew...hehe....sounds interesting...Biggrin ..

way to go ODA - SAN.....

[Image: luffy_smile1.jpg]
07-08-2014 06:55 AM
Find Quote
rio poneglyph Online
訳者

(07-08-2014 06:55 AM)Albert Newton Wrote:  and....damn.....he's adjusted his sleeping time to 4 hours..!! ..Confused and thats sufficient..?

He slept even less before the adjustment, it was about 2-3 hrs.

07-08-2014 06:58 AM
Find Quote
Owl Offline
Administrator

Facebook Twitter
Mood: Coffee
Pirate Flag Den Den Mushi Wanted Poster Gaimon
Chopper's Hat Law's Hat Roger's Hat Straw Hat
Super interesting interview. Oda is such a fantastic person, I'm happy to be part of this forum which is dedicated to his work. Finally he says in a recent interview that more members will join the straw hats, a lot were people were speculating that the crew was already complete.

Thank you rio for the translation! Happy

"The forum needs protection.. There is a wild animal that lives by night, searches for spammers and cleans out the garbage. To clean the trash cans out of (virtual) society, I chose to become something more than a man. I'm the hero this forum needs. I am...

...The Owl."
07-08-2014 07:01 AM
WWW Find Quote
Albert Newton Offline
young scientist..

Protector Chopper's Hat
yeah...that lack of sleep itself can make a lota damage to his health....*sob...*sob...oda - san...he worked so hard for us..

[Image: luffy_smile1.jpg]
07-08-2014 07:02 AM
Find Quote
lucci Offline
*DEADLY*

Mood: Lazy
Pirate Flag Den Den Mushi Wanted Poster Protector
Gaimon Chopper's Hat Usopp's Army
(07-08-2014 07:01 AM)Owl Wrote:  Finally he says in a recent interview that more members will join the straw hats, a lot were people were speculating that the crew was already complete.

I still think the crew is completeTongue (with jinbe maybe)
07-08-2014 07:09 AM
Find Quote
rio poneglyph Online
訳者

(07-08-2014 07:09 AM)lucci Wrote:  I still think the crew is completeTongue (with jinbe maybe)

Given Oda's wording 'successively', one after another, so at least 2 new nakamas.
11 people can be a soccer team that Oda likes so much.

07-08-2014 07:11 AM
Find Quote
lucci Offline
*DEADLY*

(07-08-2014 07:11 AM)rio poneglyph Wrote:  Given Oda's wording 'successively', one after another, so at least 2 new nakamas.
11 people can be a soccer team that Oda likes so much.
maybe,
the amount of members on the ship are adequate imo and there are no positions left that I can think of

wait a min how do u know so much about OdaTongue
07-08-2014 07:20 AM
Find Quote
rio poneglyph Online
訳者

(07-08-2014 07:20 AM)lucci Wrote:  maybe,
the amount of members on the ship are adequate imo and there are no positions left that I can think of

Believe in Oda's imagination. Biggrin

(07-08-2014 07:20 AM)lucci Wrote:  wait a min how do u know so much about OdaTongue

Not that much really...

07-08-2014 07:25 AM
Find Quote
lucci Offline
*DEADLY*

(07-08-2014 07:25 AM)rio poneglyph Wrote:  Believe in Oda's imagination. Biggrin
hai haiBiggrin

(07-08-2014 07:25 AM)rio poneglyph Wrote:  Not that much really...
thats a bit of an understatementTongue
07-08-2014 07:30 AM
Find Quote
rio poneglyph Online
訳者

From Heishi Yoshihisa, WSJ's current chief editor:

''Oda has a very good assistant team of 8-10 people, he usually spends 4 days doing NAME (NAME means outline and storyboard), two days of which spent in discussion with editors and modification afterwards. It normally takes 3 days to finish drawing the whole chapter. And Oda is a friendly mangaka, he always takes new editor's opinion into consideration seriously and adjusts what could be better.''

07-08-2014 08:31 AM
Find Quote
Robin Online
I'd be like Bart if I meet Robin...

Last poster trophy
Mood: Yeehaw
Pirate Flag Den Den Mushi Artist Protector
Gaimon Chopper's Hat Law's Hat Roger's Hat
SotW Winner
(07-08-2014 07:20 AM)lucci Wrote:  wait a min how do u know so much about OdaTongue

He secretly IS Oda Ninja GiggleGiggle

Robin is awesome Cool

[Image: tumblr_nalm94LJFo1tx4izxo1_500.jpg]
07-08-2014 03:57 PM
Find Quote
DevonHawk Offline
Hooded Marskman

Mood: Mellow
Pirate Flag Den Den Mushi Wanted Poster Gaimon
Chopper's Hat Law's Hat Gamer SotW Winner
Usopp's Army OPForum Award I
(07-08-2014 03:57 PM)Robin Wrote:  

He secretly IS Oda's assistant Ninja GiggleGiggle

TOOOTALLY ABSOLUTELY TERRIFICALY WITHOUT A HINT OF DOUBT OR SKEPTICISM OR ANYTHING ELSE.. CANT THINK OF ANY OTHER WORD HERE SO...

Yeah... he definitely is one of Oda's assitants... I just know it xP
So guys! be good friends with him..! who knows we might get a few more spoilers! GiggleGiggle

and YES!!! FINALLY news straight from ODA himself!!! More nakama!!! woooo!!!!! BiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

[Image: BvVKFERCMAAdtJk.jpg:large]
Haikyuu!!
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2014 08:16 PM by DevonHawk.)
07-08-2014 08:15 PM
Find Quote
CruelKammy Offline

One Piece = Won Peace : CONFIRMED

[Image: tumblr_n53yijjPKX1sg4lu9o2_500.gif]
07-08-2014 10:35 PM
Find Quote
rio poneglyph Online
訳者

(07-08-2014 10:35 PM)CruelKammy Wrote:  One Piece = Won Peace : CONFIRMED

Haha, nice one. Giggle

07-08-2014 10:37 PM
Find Quote

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)