Beginner's Guide: How To Create A Thread

Discussion in 'Konnichiwa!' started by BlackDuck, Aug 21, 2014.

1. BlackDuck

Super Duck Moderator
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#1 BlackDuck, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2016
    [​IMG] Beginner's Guide: The Art of Posting a Thread
    by BlackDuck

Greetings my friend!

It seems that you are new in the forum with a topic that you would like to discuss. Are you interested in sharing your opinion with us? Do you feel a bit lost with all the rules and various sections of the forum? If that's the case, please do not fret. This guide will help you create the perfect thread in no time! Let us start, shall we?

STEP ONE: GETTING TO KNOW THE FORUM

As you've already seen, the forum is split into 4 sections:

Each of these sections have their subsections, depending on the subject.

Feel free to browse and familiarise with them. You will find numerous interesting posts from your co-members who express their opinion, promote their ideas and share their experience.

UPDATE: You can also check the link to the forum's map , a simple scheme created by @varunjitsingh641 chan! With links that might be helpful to get started and to get familiar with the forum! :blush:

STEP TWO: CHOOSING THE CORRECT SECTION

So you just finished watching the latest One Piece episode and wanted to share your opinion on the matter. Or perhaps you read all the Dragonball manga and felt the desire to draw a random dragon. Perhaps you simply thought of an idea to improve our forum. That is great! Yet, before creating a new thread you need to decide in which section it deserves to be posted.

-Oi! Why should I care about where to post my thread?
    The answer is quite simple - in order for everyone to find it quickly. We appreciate a tad of organisation as it helps us keep the forum neat and clean.

-Whatever, I'll just post my thread anywhere. Worst case scenario the mods will move it to the correct section for me.
    Yes... and no. Indeed, one of the moderator's job is to keep track of the subjects posted and make sure that they are in the correct section. This, however, is just a bonus task for them to do. It is greatly appreciated when the moderator doesn't have to "clean after" a messy post, since it takes up their precious time - they could use these few seconds to ban spammers or deal with technical issues of the forum. Please respect their time.

So how do you choose the correct section? You simply go to the Home Page and read the description of each of the topics. Use critical thinking and choose wisely.

BONUS FOR THE CREATIVE ZONE, VISUAL ARTS SECTION:
    Please refer from posting a new thread every time you draw a new picture, upload a video, paint your face with colours. Create ONE thread which has to do with your person and post all your artwork in this one.

STEP THREE: BEFORE BEGINNING - SEARCHING

One of the rules of the forum is to not double post threads. It's practical, it's logical, it's forbidden. The reason behind this is the extra unnecessary space or the confusion that could create to your fellow members.

For this reason, on the top right position of the forum page we have a "search-box" where you can type the keywords of your subject. Briefly browse through the topics that will appear and decide whether your idea has already been taken by a co-member. If not, you can proudly proceed to the next step.

Search Box:
    Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 2.26.52 PM.png

NOTE: The search engine only looks for the specific word you type. But you can also add the option for the word only on thread tittles to make your search easier. There: "Search titles only"
    Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 2.33.33 PM.png

STEP FOUR: WRITING A THREAD

You made it so far and you are ready to begin the writer's journey. What you need to focus on is:
    • English language
    Rather self-explanatory. It is forbidden to communicate in any language other than English in order for everyone to understand.
    • Proper grammar and vocabulary
    Let's be honest, no one enjoys reading through a text full of mistakes. It makes the grammar nazi cry and people lose their interest. Obviously, the multinational character of our forum allows our members to make mistakes (as not everyone is a native English speaker), however this doesn't mean that the person writing will not at least try to make their text as correct as possible. This means rereading your post and checking for any grammatical errors.
    • A title that explains the subject of the thread
    "Check this out", "characters", "I need help... Anyone...."
    Whenever I see this kind of titles to new threads i feel a shiver down my spine. Do not expect that people will always look at your thread if you put a title like this. It shows lack of motivation and interest. Plus, if it doesn't seem like a topic that could interest me, I will not lose my time with it. If on the other hand, you do not care about receiving any reply, then please do not post at all.
    • An interesting topic
    Remember that something may or may not be interesting depending on the way you introduce it. It is of a vital importance to put some effort in your writing skills. Try to actually have a content, make an introduction, post pictures or smilies (without exaggerating), show your readers that they do want to reply to your thread, that they will gladly begin a conversation with you. Make a high quality post, that will also receive high quality comments - this means long, well-thought, well-built and interesting replies.
    • Refer from using foul language (cursing, using "ugly" words)
    Although it is not officially forbidden, I do believe that using too many curse words lowers the quality of a post. We are also in a forum of all the ages and we may have minors or in general people who get offended by this type of language.
    • All opinions are equal - please respect them
    Everyone is different. Everyone comes from a different background. Everyone shares their own personal opinion. Thus this means that there are no right and wrong answers. There are no agreements and disagreements - you can share or not share someone's opinion, but no one in this case can be correct or not. Please, respect the others no matter what.
    • PMA
    Positive Mental Attitude. Think positive and let it reflect on your post as well. Do not adopt an offensive and negative attitude.
    • Pictures [​IMG]
    If you would like to post a picture in your thread, you have two ways to do it:

1.Upload a file form your computer: Near the button where you click "create thread" there is the button to "upload files"

Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 2.40.57 PM.png
    Once you click it just choose a picture from your computer! After that, the picture won't appear on the thread yet. You have yet to choose how you want your picture to appear:

Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 2.44.20 PM.png

You can choose a thumbnail (where a small image will appear, and if members want to see the whole sized picture they just have to click it) or the full image!

Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 2.46.31 PM.png

2.Another way to post a picture is to host it in a picture hosting website (i.e. Photobucket.com, imgur.com or others). First copy the "image address" from the image you want.
    Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 2.52.40 PM.png

Then, use the "Insert image" function from your post toolbar above your writing space (You can see the icon near the "smilies icon" Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 2.48.45 PM.png ) and paste your link! :grin: This also works for gif's :
    [​IMG]

• Poll [​IMG]
    In case you would like to post a poll in your thread, what you need to do is scroll down to the Poll section, here:

Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 3.01.49 PM.png

Did you fill in all the needed sections? Poll title, options, multiple choice or not? Click on the "create thread" button and see your beautiful idea come to life. :yum:

Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 3.03.27 PM.png

STEP FIVE: POST IT!

Click the "Post Thread" button and let the magic begin!

Some last tips for you to keep in the back of your mind:

• High Thread/Post count means nothing if it is of a low quality content. Although it does look cool to have a high number of posts, it is more advisable to have quality over quantity. And with time, this quality will also become quantity.
    • Respect the time and effort people put in writing their own threads, posts, replies. Just like you enjoy seeing your thumbs up or reputation number go up, same goes to the others. Appreciate what you read and show this appreciation by giving a +1 to a poster (in your own judgement of course).

You are now officially ready to travel in the sea of creativity! :ohyeah: Grab your keyboard and start posting! Thank you for bearing with me and I wish you a happy stay in our forum!

All the best regards,
    BlackDuck
    :duckuin:

UPDATE: Last Edited By @Cosmos !

Icecrusher, Red, Bery and 3 others like this.
  2. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Stupendous job, @"BlackDuck"! I've always meant to create this thread since we receive a lot of traffic from social media, most doesn't know how to use forums. But you have done it way better than I would have, sensational! ;)

3. 5kyMarshall

Chief Executive Otaku
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, Blackduck. No longer will I spam One Piece section with gaming threads, thanks to you.

Liked and Rep'd.

4. kazuko.i

falling star
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

That was fun to read... :P
    You've made it so clear. Good job.

5. BlackDuck

Super Duck Moderator
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Thank you guys for the appreciation! It means a lot to me, especially because it took me half the night to finish this. Oh the link copy-pasting just burnt my brain :P

Anyway, let's hope that people will actually read it through.

6. Roger D. Ace

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Nice Guide! Surprising how the things you find simple and easy to follow could be so much more difficult for someone else. Req Sticky.

7. kazuko.i

falling star
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

@"Owl" , probably you can create a hyperlink like this that makes it more visible to new members as well as everyone.

[​IMG]

8. Roger D. Ace

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Would be kinda ambiguous as to what the Beginner's Guide is about.

9. kazuko.i

falling star
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

If that makes people curious to check it out, then it works. :P

10. R1pp3r D. Pervert

Unofficial forum mod
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Liked it and rep it...wish i could kiss you for this but i can't

It always comes down to readers which in nowdays they rather sleep or watch tv then read, so reading something like this might be challenging. However i am positive that those that will need/want to read this will do so :)

11. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Well, it would actually make more sense to be inside the "Help & Rules" tab. Actually, inside that, there is a document named "Posting a New Topic", but it doesn't help anyone... I can link to this thread instead.

12. cleand

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Seriously @"BlackDuck" , you did a very good job on this. This will really help all the members, new or not. :)

13. kazuko.i

falling star
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

That'll do it I think.
    Just wondering how many people will actually read it...

14. Kyros

The Legend
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Can some one add how to attach a poll to a thread. Its missing in this section I tried searching but can't find an answer. Thanks in advance. :D

Edit: I totally forgot, THANKS BlackDuck. This thread is quite useful for new users.

15. JuanPiece

Substitute Mod/Prince of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Wow. Applause BD. This is a great thread. Didn't saw it before. :unsure:

16. BlackDuck

Super Duck Moderator
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

A small update on the thread - added extra information on the pictures and where to find all the codes to the "MyCode" feature.

17. naruto

Legendary Hokage
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the information. :)

18. Kyros

The Legend
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Hi @"BlackDuck" can you please add how to attach a poll to the thread. I've asked already but didn't get an answer.

19. BlackDuck

Super Duck Moderator
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Oh of course, I meant to add this as well, but forgot. Thank you for reminding me, Kyros! ^^

20. Kyros

The Legend
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Thanks I was searching for that for some time.