One Piece Chapter 850: "Ray of Hope"

Discussion in 'Past Chapters' started by Dustfinger, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Hahaha! Pedro looks so powerful and reliable that I now want him to join the Straw Hats. Pudding seems so powerful too, can be a great opponent for Nami (I'm very curious with her upgraded weapon).

I'm fine, very busy with my work and other important tasks.

Villaine likes this.
  2. adorebela

Expand Collapse

That's a good point! I never really even thought about it in that sense. I think this sense of wonder about Pudding's true intentions is exactly what Oda wants because she holds the power of what happens in this arc. Anything she does can turn the story around drastically and that's what makes it so intense. I wish it was possible for OP to update everyday instead of every week cause I can't handle the waiting, lol.

3. Chicano180

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Next chapter we will see The Vinsmokes revelation that they plan on killing Big Mom and all her kids at the wedding

4. Betelgeuse

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#84 Betelgeuse, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    If that ever happened I'd have to say that we are in for the best arc of the series so far! This arc has already been top notch so far

5. Dustfinger

Jack Of No Trades
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Why do you have to wave him out? He's still busy doing his job to be the greatest scientist at the laboratory hahaha

I'm still rooting for Caesar tho Pedro now has more possibilities of joining. :D

#DontWaveTheFlag

6. Red

Red
    Prince of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Stupid plot twist is stupid

I don't really care where Pudding's loyalty lies, this sort of double-agent theme is so recurrent that it's not even a surprise anymore. And why, is she, like any stereotypical villain spouting out her plans to Reiju with the window so conveniently open for someone passing by to hear or see her? You might call it a simple underestimation of the Vinsmokes, I call it pure, unadulterated stupidity.

Considering that Reiju escapes later, shown in the last panel of the last chapter (or was that not in the future?), the situation is too convenient for Reiju to runaway and tell the others. Unless, Pudding wants herself to be displayed as a villain so that Sanji didn't need to choose between marrying her or returning to the Straw Hats: now that would be a better conclusion and would actually make sense.

Really disappointed with this chapter unless there's something more to it, the idea of Pudding being "evil" and no further thought put into it is too convenient, too simplistic and un-Oda-like. On top of that, I'm very bothered by seeing her cry right after calling the Straw Hats whatever she did, those seemed like genuine tears; so for the story's consistency, I do hope there's more to what Oda is planning in the remainder of this arc.

Aside from that, the drawings are great as usual, three-eyed Pudding panel was terrifying

Personal Rating: 4/10

Villaine likes this.
  7. TheDarkSide

Expand Collapse

i dont think pudding is good person anymore..look what she does to my beloved reuiji...fakkkkkkk pudding!!!!!!!

8. Seiryu

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#88 Seiryu, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Something being overlooked: Reiju is incapacitated by whoever attacked her. She is unable to walk more than 10 feet due to her leg injuries. Pudding is in all likeliness not the one that attacked Reiju (she/the blob are the one(s) that found Reiju). The blob is acting as handcuffs to prevent Reiju from attacking Pudding. If Pudding had decent New World level combat capabilities (I would put the weak unnamed children in this category), an injured Reiju should not be a threat.

@Red: mentioned this earlier, but Pudding "reveals" the plan because readers would not know it otherwise. This plan in all likeliness gets interrupted by the climax/twist of the arc. Big Mom killing the Vinsmokes (something she is more than capable of doing herself, even if all the children are magically neutralized) is not a problem. The plan itself is only additional drama, and I doubt this is how Sanji is rid of his original demons.

The whole point of this arc is seemingly to emphasize the Mugiwaras still have A LONG way to go to be on the same level as a Yonkou. Big Mom's afterthoughts (she doesn't respect Luffy at all and still put together a perfect plan to neutralize everyone) was more than enough to put everyone in their worst predicament of the entire series (only Luffy has had one or two instances of impending death).

@Marco Polo: clearly Pudding has psychotic characteristics, but she is no where near meeting the criteria to be diagnosed as a true psychotic. I think the best analogy is that spoiled/favorite children get fair/unfair exceptions. Oda might have wrote himself into a corner with the Lola flashback, and I definitely agree that this is the glaring inconsistency. Hard to imagine Lola not at least showing up, so we'll see how it gets explained then. As long as we don't get more Frog-Carrot level B.S., I think I'll be happy with almost anything else.

Edit: Just read the raw for the chapter so I can address what @Vash D Stampede asked. So the translation is definitely correct, so it goes along with the above aspect that Lola and that flashback are a clear discrepancy.

Pudding was probably meant to be the "cliche" double agent from Big Mom's first appearance. Oda still keeps to his morals by making Pudding's behavior the result of "good acting", but I definitely think Lola was originally meant to be a "favorite child" too. It definitely seems like Oda is overly concerned about his ideas getting released early in unofficial data books and is trying to make changes (changing Big Mom's fruit from the birthing birthing fruit to the soul soul fruit, Frog-Carrot, and in my opinion making Lola a hated child).

Everything fits perfectly if Lola is not hated by the family. The flashback in question makes sense since the "favorites" have to stick together or get bullied by the other children. But rationally, Pudding is only a handful of years old so that leaves plenty of time to be corrupted by her family/environment.

Either way, the climax/twist is coming up really soon, so how that is handled hopefully cleans up this mess.

Villaine likes this.
  9. TheDarkSide

Expand Collapse

are you the RogerBase on youtube??? hahahahhaha... we loved how oda twist

im vote 10/10

10. Red

Red
    Prince of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That's exactly my issue with this - wish Oda could do this in more subtle ways if he wants to convey it to the audience. I'm also not a fan of plot inconsistencies and Oda doing things in such a messy manner.

Did RogersBase not like it as well? I gotta check his video out xD

Thing is, other than the one panel of three-eyed-Pudding, the "evil" aspect of Pudding fails to affect me - the situation seems more comical than worrying. The evil "twist" is unnecessary imo

Seiryu likes this.
  11. TheDarkSide

Expand Collapse

yeah...XD..he give 4/10 too...but im still with 10/10

Villaine likes this.
  12. TheDarkSide

Expand Collapse

yes u are