One Piece Discussion - Origin & Purpose of the World Government & Marines!

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Red, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Red

Red
    Prince of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Twelve, Sprasle, Owl and 1 other person like this.
  2. Marco Polo

ドナルド・トランプ
    Expand Collapse

@Yumavo Cado its hereeee

Hope you guys enjoy this, there was far less planning involved in this one as it was recorded a couple of days after we chose the topic and we hadn't done as much research

Wolf, Jawahib and Owl like this.
  3. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Just finished watching it. Really well done discussion, brought a lot of good points and it was pretty interesting to watch. Congrats to the OPF YouTube Team and in particular to @Jawahib and @Marco Polo. :) Gonna watch it again for sure later, I want to give my opinion as well on this subject.

Sprasle and Jawahib like this.
  4. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, boss-man. Can't wait to hear what you have to say :)

Owl likes this.
  5. 5kyMarshall

Chief Executive Otaku
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Good to put some faces to the names. Comments during the great video as I watched it.

- Agree with World Government controlling Economy to keep the secrets from the past. All the trouble they went to to eliminate Robin's town who could read Poneglyphs etc.
    - I think Gorosei do know the secret. They are quite old, similar to that of the core Roger Pirates. I don't think they personally experienced what had happened.
    - I also agree none of the Mariens know the secret (incl Fleet Admiral). I think Kong was told the secret after being promoted once Gorosei trusted him (or maybe he did discover it).
    - Ahahah I like the idea of D's to be "SIMPLE" to the WG. "These guys aint a threat, they are plain stupid".

Looking forward to next episode.

Also I love the sign outs! I don't know why I lost it.

@Jawahib: Jawa out.
    @Marco Polo: And ummm... Marco's gone too.

Jawahib likes this.
  6. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Wait, you lost it laughing?
    @Marco Polo we should totally consider comedy :P

Marco Polo and Wolf like this.
  7. 5kyMarshall

Chief Executive Otaku
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeee. You ended it so smoothly then Marco tried to follow it up and mixed two different responses together. I think I replayed that last scene about 10 times. Half of your view count will just be me.

Wolf and Jawahib like this.
  8. Seiryu

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Haha...just had a big tangent in a post on this (and will not re-hash that here). For the most part I have to agree with most things mentioned in the video. Biggest thing I want to add is that Luffy will likely overthrow the WG upon fulfilling his "adventure".

First thing I gotta disagree with is the stereotype of the Tenryuubito. Although the morally unjust "spoiled kid" stereotype is what Oda utilizes for his moral/political commentary, the older generation of Tenryuubito have been portrayed to be analytical. In the Doffy flashbacks of Homing being denied re-entry, if everyone was dumb instantaneous rational judgement would be impossible. Even in the auction, the father was rational with his commentary on Charloss. Oda excels at making baddies easy to hate. I think the dunce characteristic was more for this purpose rather than a universal trait.

I also disagree with the significance of the Tenryuubito treasures. I think it is more the volume rather than importance to the story line. Remember that they monopolize the entire world. Their treasure is enough to feed the entire world. The power comes more in the knowledge of its existence/location. Forget pirates, any country would revolt to even get a piece of the treasure. The Marines can't fight off the entire world to protect the Tenryuubito. They had problems simply preparing to take on Whitebeard. Based on Doffy's explanation, it sounds like a savings/bank of the Tenryuubito (he said he would have been able to steal it all with the Ope Ope ability).

Arabasta is a unique situation in that the Nefertari did not fully comply with the WG. The Nefertari chose not to join the other Tenryuubito and remained in Arabasta. Thus the natural despise from the Tenryuubito (and thus by extension the Marines) since they were willing to stay with the "lowly commoners".

In terms of the "D clan", I think there is a good chance they are the descendants of the ancient civilaztion from chapter 820 (which obviously is new info). The biggest common trait is not they are simpletons (that's comic relief), but that they are of free will and do WHATEVER they want. This is where the potential, and greatest threat to the WG comes from. Most people will not deviate from an established norm. In the OP world, essentially only the "will of the D." will. Thus the need to take out any potential D. descendant on the rise. Naturally without a knowledge of their history, it makes sense that some members of the D. clan find their way to work for they "enemy". But again they have all did the work their way.

Marco Polo and Jawahib like this.
  9. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

You're largely correct here, but when I said "they're stupid" (which does sound very much like a stereotype which I didn't intend), I mean that the fact that even one of them is permitted to leave Mariejois without being all there mentally. It only takes one to screw everything up, and I'm not writing off the entire Noble population as ineligible to know the secret, perhaps there are some small number who know, though these do not ever lead the land of Mariejois.

However, your comment made me think of another alternative. Perhaps you're right and they DO know, and the Government relies on the threat of the Admirals to keep people on check. I mean, it would make the most sense I think. Under the guise of pretending to preserve the authority of the nobility, no one even thinks to challenge a Tenryuubito to find something bigger. I mean, it's not like they're amazing people, or the Admirals have nothing better to do than wait aroud to cover these guys' asses, so I think you could make a very good point about the Nobles knowing the secret.

At this point I'm swinging either way.

10. Seiryu

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Ah, was watching sportscenter while listening to the discussion so I probably missed something in the lead-up. Thanks for clarifying though.
    In terms of the secret Tenryuubito treasure, either way is equally likely to be wrong with Oda. At this point I'm convinced he likes to play mind games with his twists/significant plot points in that he will paint a picture and then do something completely out of the box. Another part of this is to have the resolution so far into the future, it further highlights the impact.

11. Marco Polo

ドナルド・トランプ
    Expand Collapse

I agree with your first point, since it's implied that once the Straw Hats learn the true history they'll declare war on the WG

I think it is possible that our current perception of the Tenryubito isn't truly accurate or representative of them, however I'm leaning more towards the idea that they're incredibly elitist and sheltered. I think the ones who appear "stupid", perhaps even naïve, are not uncommon exceptions rather than the rule: they're born into an environment where they're conditioned to believe they're better than everyone else, and they carry this belief with them throughout life.

Regarding your point about the Tenryubito treasure, my opinion on it would depend on what it would be. I don't think Doflamingo would be the kind to steal a load of cash, it doesn't really seem to coincide with his goal of destroying the world. Sure, you could argue that he could use the cash to buy weapons and stuff, but he was already a lynchpin in the underworld.

I feel like any kind of D. related genocide would have occurred shortly after the war, with only a few families surviving to pass on the name.

12. 5kyMarshall

Chief Executive Otaku
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yeh agree. More likely the WG will get in the way of Luffy's 'adventure'.

As for the Celestials. I have always thought they had the original entitlement and lineage to be 'the rulers'. I don't believe they have anything else but that. Their riches come with their title, as Kings gain wealth through taxes etc, maybe through WG. I also don't agree they have any moral/political strength. The elders are just wiser over the years. The youth don't show any potential to be outstanding/bred politicians/leaders at all...

I think the World Government are the ones ihiding the secret and have consent of current Celestials to continue as they do aslong as they allow them to still be... The Celestials. HNefertari possibly didnt agree and were treated as outcasts, I see them as being key to post-story.

13. Seiryu

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I think we agree on the Tenryuubito "stereotype", which I think I misinterpreted from the discussion video. In terms of the treasure, my initial interpretation of Doffy talking about it was that he wanted to steal it to essentially blackmail the Tenryuubito. It pained him that he lost this big trump card with Law being given the Ope Ope no Mi.
    As Doffy explained, the Tenryuubito are the previous Royalty that chose to promote themselves to a higher status. That's when they all moved to Mariejoa. Since they were the kings, I think it is only natural to be rich. With how Oda paints the society of the OP world, Royal families likely have to pay taxes to their respective Tenryuubito. Remember when Charloss willingly exceeded everyone's bid for Keimi? They definitely are implied to be on a different pay grade than even royalty. There were "Tenryuubito" families that did not move to Mariejoa: the Riku and Nefertari clans (who both love their respective country and citizens). We will definitely see the sensitive things are when Oda decides to show Reverie.
    The WG is the governing body that represent the Tenryuubito and was established upon the conclusion of the void century. Don't forget that the Tenryuubito only represent the countries that joined the WG. Everyone else was wiped out. They essentially share the "dirt" of the void century. Doffy did not clarify when the Tenryuubito made their move, but I think it is safe to assume all of the above coincide.

5kyMarshall likes this.
  14. Gustavo Woltmann

Expand Collapse

I think the world government is the bad side in ancient times. They are the one also handling the ancient weapon.

gustavo woltmann