One Piece Discussion - The One Piece Universe, Its Climate & Raftel!

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Owl, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

2. Zhya

Expand Collapse

That introduction, and the shirts and ties... Perfect. Great video, professors!

Marco Polo likes this.
  3. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Thanks man :D

I didn't seem to get the notification about being tagged for some reason, but anyway, this was my favourite video to make so far :)

4. Tony

Unknown Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Great video Professors! I would have never thought that the One Piece world was relatively small compared to the earth :smile:

Wolf and Marco Polo like this.
  5. Marco Polo

Marc'emon
    Expand Collapse

Thankyou for the positive responses so far!

@5kyMarshall I hope this is everything you wanted and more

6. Zeek

The 10th Mugiwara
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Great video indeed! I love all of the thought that truly went into this and I don't know that I've seen anyone else figure all of that out!

I think you guys really tackled some questions that are more complicated than the typical questions asked.

Marco Polo likes this.
  7. 5kyMarshall

Chief Executive Otaku
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I've been waiting for this episode for ages xD.

- Amazing. I mean. AMAZING introduction.
    - Hate to be a douche, but the maths was a bit flawed. Doubling the diameter/circumference doesn't double the area xD
    - Re Zeff, maybe there was inflation of bounty xD?
    - I was hoping the geography would be described more. From your best judgement and assumption. You stated known facts, but was hoping of a thorough break down of sections.

Thanks for the shout out (I think), wasn't expecting it hahah. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

---------------------------------

Another episode idea, maybe Devil Fruit classifications you touched on in another thread, Jawa?

Jawahib and Marco Polo like this.
  8. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Woah woah woah, my math-o-meter is buzzing :P
    We aren't trying to calculate the area, we're trying to calculate the size. And size is directly based on the radius of the sphere. When someone asks you how big a circle or a sphere is, typically you'd picture its size based on its radius or diameter (this is not an assumption. Type 'size of Earth' into Google and see what you get). Scientifically, sizes of planets are considered by their radius, not areas. Due to all the curves (or the fact that it's one big curve, rather), visualising how many square metres/cubes will fit in it is just a headache, so it's much simpler to imagine its size based on its diameter or radius. Hence we chose to base our 'size' estimates off radius, or circumference instead. Since radius and circumference have a direct relationship, to find one is to find the other (with a ratio of 2pi between them), and to say a circumference is twice as big as something else is to say that the radius is twice as big as something else.

Another reason why we used circumference instead of area is because the data we have all directly relates to circumference. The distance for Paradise is the length of an arc of a circle, and it was far simpler to use that than to go out of our way to procure a value for radius to procure a value for area or volume.
    The heart of the calculations is to show that the Earth is about twice as big as the One Piece world when comparing radii/circumferences, which in almost all circles is taken to mean that the Earth is twice as big. Area is nearly never associated with size when it comes to comparing spheres.

Yoooooou're welcome :D . You did, after all, ask us to include 'How awesome 5kyMarshall is' as a point, and the discussion just wouldn't have been complete without including it :P
    We initially wanted to make it more in-depth about the geography, but there really wasn't anything we could add that hasn't already been covered as well as it can be in the manga itself. I mean, I don't think I used the word 'archipelago' once, which isn't good because that's the best way to describe the OP world, but when it comes to locations and stuff pretty much everything is in that awesome interactive map that was in the link.

Wolf, 5kyMarshall and Marco Polo like this.
  9. Marco Polo

Marc'emon
    Expand Collapse

You have no idea how long the planning bit took, Jawa's bit took a fair amount of re-working and verification to make it as accurate as possible

Thankyou for the response! :)

The maths was something we spent a good couple of hours on to even get an approximation, which is what our value is
    We made a fair few assumptions:

1. The average speeds of the two ships

2. That the One Piece world is spherical and that the distance of the first half of the Grand Line = the distance of the second half: so we can safely say that if the Red Line is dead centre that the New World and Paradise are equal in size.
    We worked out the length of the Grand Line, which is basically a band of ocean that goes across the equator of the OP earth, the circumference. The value Jawa came out with is the approximated circumference of the OP Earth. And when we take the geography into account, the value makes sense

The geography section is absurdly difficult and virtually impossible, simply because the amount of online research on the moon's effect on climate is very little. And when you consider the added factor of the differences in size and number of satellites orbiting the OP Earth, and that we can't just change the size of our planet and give it more moons, all one can really do is speculate on known facts.
    As for the microclimates, ie the Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter Islands, they're even harder to explain since there isn't really an existing phenomenon in the real world: you could debate that the poles/equator are examples, however they're at different latitudes: these islands all exist within the same band of ocean that's essentially equivalent to the Equator.

This video is essentially just application of theories that apply to us on Earth: Oda isn't a mathematician, geographer or meteorologist so it's unlikely that he'll ever go as far to explain the climates and ecosystems that exist on the OP Earth: rather simply use them to tell an entertaining story, which is what he's all about.

Wolf, 5kyMarshall and Jawahib like this.
  10. Marco Polo

Marc'emon
    Expand Collapse

Also
    Massive shoutout to @Tony for turning Jawa's computer handwriting in to something prettier

Wolf, Tony and Jawahib like this.
  11. 5kyMarshall

Chief Executive Otaku
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Creepy. You two are like twins y'know.
    Responded within 2 minutes of each other. Also not small responses xD

But fair enough with the Maths. It would be pretty impossible to get an accurate estimated based on what we know. My train of thought at the time was they were not always moving, nbot always going in straight lines etc.

I completely forgot about that!!

I dont remember everything I read. But I feel like I can't piece everything together exactly. Like you's mentioned, how the fuck did Zeff go back and forth in particular. You always bring up good points which makes me think of it more *sigh*

How did each sea get colonized if the redline and calm belt had always been there?

How exactly does each sea gain access to one another? Educated guesses by yourselves? E.g. Reverse mountain, hope and pray. Or take risk across calm belt? Maybe transport carriers covered in seastone.

If fish tiger could climb the redline, why couldn't someone do that to access Raftel?

How did Marejois get built on the redline? Why cant others be built there?

Skypiea is another kettle of fishmen too... Don't even want me to go there... lol

12. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

@Marco Polo he's onto us, man :P

That interactive map pieced together everything far better than we ever could, so we just left in the description to allow it to speak for itself.
    Glad to see you picked up on this. While I didn't directly address this in the video, I took this factor into consideration when I broke up the amount of time spent on the ships and the amount of time spent on land. Of course it isn't perfect, but we were going for more estimates than perfection anyway.
    You're right that we haven't addressed these questions in perhaps as much detail as would be ideal, but we were restricted by both the length of the video and ourselves. We straight-up didn't have enough time for one video, as we didn't want to go over the half-hour absolute limit we put on ourselves. Secondly, I don't think either of us have definitive opinions or ideas on any one of those questions, and making up an opinion while recording is never a good idea, because there's typically a lot of flaws under pressure, and if it happens to be completely wrong it would have just been a waste of time.
    If we talk about something neither of us have an opinion on, I can't imagine anything other than a complete train-wreck, no matter how interesting the topic is. To keep ourselves (and probably the audience) interested, we like to stay on things that we both have opinions on and interest us, so that we can get a bit excited and stay on-track while we discuss.

Marco Polo and 5kyMarshall like this.
  13. 5kyMarshall

Chief Executive Otaku
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I just remembered something you forgot.
    Awesome sign offs (looking at you @Marco Polo)

Again, good job. Both very charismatic. Im very envious.

Marco Polo likes this.
  14. Marco Polo

Marc'emon
    Expand Collapse

We're still clueless as to how it's possible to cross the calm belt without using Seastone, which seems to be a WG resource as far as I'm aware: the only people we've seen with it are Marines and Shichibukai, who work for the government
    So in short, I don't have an answer to these first two questions

Raftel is a hidden location whereas Mariejois isn't: it's relatively common knowledge that it's atop the Red Line. And as far as we know, the only people who were able to put the pieces of the puzzle together and find Raftel's location were Roger's crew: the fact that it's well hidden means that it's extremely unlikely that someone will just arrive there by chance

Other cities theoretically can be built there, however I think society has a lot to do with the fact that only Mariejois is up there: The Nobles, the rulers of the world have taken a place where they can look down on inferior humans, and if any other human society were to settle up there it would destroy the mindset of it being a "Holy" Land, which we've been conditioned to believe it is

Sky Islands were something I didn't even dare mention because they're inexplicable from our point of view

Wolf and 5kyMarshall like this.
  15. Grin

the hero you deserve
    Expand Collapse

Great work boys, although now whatever ideas I had about how you guys sounded are totally ruined. Thanks.

Will you be exclusively creating content you choose, or might it be possible to suggest specific topics in the future?

Marco Polo likes this.
  16. 5kyMarshall

Chief Executive Otaku
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Oh noes. You went there.
    If it's part of the same atmosphere, does that mean it's part of the OP world? Meaning it should be part of the geography? xD

17. Marco Polo

Marc'emon
    Expand Collapse

Thankyou!
    I'm curious what you thought we sounded like now :O

http://opforum.net/threads/opf-youtube-channel-topic-suggestions.48497/
    If you want to suggest leave your suggestions here, if we think we can make a good video from it we'll use it

Theoretically it is, there isn't anything stating that the Straw Hats had to go into space to get there

18. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Anytime. Always happy to ruin people's perceptions of me :P
    We're always taking suggestions, though currently Marco and I are pretty set on at least our next video (which has in fact been taken from the pool of suggestions). Any ideas go on over here: http://opforum.net/threads/opf-youtube-channel-topic-suggestions.48497/

19. Grin

the hero you deserve
    Expand Collapse

I've had Jawa pinned as "the young guy who writes tons of paragraphs" in my mind for a while, so I figured he'd be higher-pitched. As for you, Funkmeister. Though I think you could sound more Funkmeister-y if you tried, it's not exactly appropriate for an educational video.

Great, there was a topic for this already? Just goes to show I should do my research before asking. Thanks.

20. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Ask @Yumavo Cado about the uh 'high pitch'. I'm sure he'll be happy to PRIVATELY send you a link which will interest you.