One Piece Discussion - The Origin of Devil Fruits!

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Owl, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone, and welcome to the One Piece Forum YouTube channel! In this video, Jawapunk and Marcopunk discuss about various topics involving the origin of devil fruits!

Mentioned threads in the video:
    http://opforum.net/threads/logia-fruits-when-does-it-stop.48749/
    http://opforum.net/threads/how-devil-fruits-work.22335/
    http://opforum.net/threads/using-as...explain-devil-fruit-origins-remastered.51064/

Special thanks to: @Jawahib, @Marco Polo, @FrankyGaon15, @Mapache, @Tony, @Chaudfontaine, @Robin, @Zeek, @Phantom, @Wolf, @Dineria and @X Drake!

We plan to release a lot more videos, so go ahead and subscribe!
    (and like the video too!)

2. Zhya

Expand Collapse

Nice usernames you got there, punks! :P

Marco Polo likes this.
  3. Grin

the hero you deserve
    Expand Collapse

Solid job as always, boys and girls. For a topic I thought I knew a lot about I still got a bunch out of this one. Now I can nitpitck, argue and bully even better!

abdul jabar and Marco Polo like this.
  4. Marco Polo

ドナルド・トランプ
    Expand Collapse

Ayy, you called us Marcopunk and Jawapunk, I dig that

5. menma

Uncle
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Very nice video guys well made! and alot of informations that i thought i already knew but didn't hope you will keep making more of these! :)

Marco Polo likes this.
  6. Seiryu

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for sharing the video and thanks to those that worked on putting it together. In terms of the Blackbeard theory, my personal theory aligns with what you guys mentioned. The Yami Yami akuma appears to be the top of the food chain and is able to subdue other devils into submission. Based on Ace's fight, this requires direct contact (i.e. the Yami Yami devil has to make contact with the other devil to subdue it). Thus within Blackbeard's body, the Yami Yami devil is subduing the Gura Gura devil allowing Blackbeard to not die (I too see the Gura Gura as a permanent addition to Blackbeard's capabilities). Curious to see Blackbeard fight again to see if he is having this ability hunt all for himself. I too agree that this is the most likely explanation, but is there some limit to how many devils the Yami Yami devil can restrain? If there isn't a limit, is there a limit to how many abilities Blackbeard can activate at once? So many questions and unfortunately they won't be answered for years...

In terms of radiation/SAD/Smile, in general Smile are artificial zoans that appear to only modify part of the user. The Gifters could only transform the body parts with the strange tattoos. The exception to this so far was Sheepshead, who carries the title of "headliner". Considering how weak he is, this makes me think the title ties to only his difference in artificial ability (maybe he was the first consumer of a Smile and has had his body adapt/increase its affinity with the chemical production of the artificial ability). Maybe this has something to do with a "complete" Smile (they were harvesting non-ideal Smile in Dressrosa when Luffy arrives). Also every gifter seems to only be able to utilize a specific animal body part, versus becoming the animal (or Buddha statue in Sengoku's case). Either way, Oda implies that there is a clear distinction between an ability that stems from a devil and one produced from SAD.

Similarly with Vegapunk's successful mystical creature level zoan, this implies he was able to artificially create an actual "devil" within the fruit Momonosuke ate. At first I wrote that this whole devil concept probably wouldn't come up in the manga, but reconsidering with this in mind, we should hopefully get a more in-depth explanation when the crew meets Vegapunk. I do not see the story following Momonosuke after Kaidou's defeat, so I doubt we get information on the artificial zoan through him.

Not going to rehash the same argument on ability limits, but I will point out something I realized upon hearing the discussion again. Oda has an abstract limit to Luffy's "stretching" ability. From the beginning of the series (probably in the first 10 SBS), many people asked how far Luffy could stretch. It happened multiple times and each time Oda played it off as a joke, ultimately making up some word (looked it up: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_4 Oda uses "100 Gomu Gomus" as a record length). If Oda does not want to address it, he will play it off and ignore it as much as possible (just like the kid who kept pestering Oda to make a sketch of himself/his brother to be the next shichibukai; This kept getting published as a running gag since I am sure Oda had enough fan questions to fill the designated pages). He probably has limits for everyone in his mind, but doesn't have the panel space/time to explain them all. The pattern is that he will explain a limitation when it applies to the story (Law killing himself to achieve his life long desire and Buggy's was to explain how he could help escape, but is unable to fly out himself). So it was mentioned that Oda is making his own rules as he goes along, and that is his freedom as the creator. It is also part of the beauty of the series in that we probably won't accurately predict his twists.

7. Marco Polo

ドナルド・トランプ
    Expand Collapse

Wow, it looks like you really got stuck in with our video, I'm glad you enjoyed it

I didn't know the bit about Oda describing the limits of Luffy's abilities in an SBS, that's pretty interesting actually
    I think it does make sense that he wouldn't quantify in a measurement that makes sense to us, because it'd cause us to over scrutinise when Luffy stretches himself really far. For example, when he stretches to reach the Sunny when escaping from an island, we'd all have our tape measures out instead of enjoying the story

8. Time

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

This was a good watch. Id like to shake these two guys hand, you two did an amazing job. Keep it up, mate.

Marco Polo likes this.
  9. Seiryu

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Definitely got me analyzing things differently, so again, thanks for sharing. I think the big part of the open-ended aspects to limits is that Oda does not have future fights established. He will probably only set limits when it comes up in the story. He literally is coming up with things on the fly (he has the base 5-year manga story line as an absolute outline, but he has a blank slate to fill in as much details between these points). The manga was originally only supposed to be 5 years in length to the END. This is one of the important points that came up when Oda started to give SOME public interviews. When One Piece first became a mainstream draw for the WSJ (only popular in Japan), he literally did nothing for several years. Many didn't even know what Oda looked like since he literally was a hermit. Oh and the OP Wiki SBS doesn't have the early volumes (it came up about half a dozen times in the early SBS corners), so that's probably why the 100 Gomu Gomus might not be common knowledge.

Marco Polo likes this.
  10. PwnGoat

Expand Collapse

#10 PwnGoat, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    My idea is that devil fruits are dead people from the past, be it their soul or whatever. In the past haki was a lot more well understood and it's lost to history but they could do advanced techniques like the abilities of haki, so a person has the ability to gain these people on their own but devil fruits pretty much injects the soul/power of them into you.

Anyway why is Blackbeard searching for all he can? Because he has a crew.

11. Willster328

Expand Collapse

Cant watch the video at the moment, but I get the feeling that the Devil Fruits are tied together with the original of the Lost History. Oda has included the "Adam and Eve" Trees to the series, and I wonder if the Devil Fruits are supposed to represent the apple that Eve ate which began the fall of mankind. Ironically, it was Satan who tempted her to eat the apple and they're called "Devil Fruits".

I'd be willing something happened when the first person ate a fruit (and thus began a new era in history) and the fallout of what shaped the world.

12. Marco Polo

ドナルド・トランプ
    Expand Collapse

That's the concept I looked at in my Asura/Diable Jambe theory, and it's one that I personally find pretty interesting
    Souls play a pretty big role in One Piece, so if Devil Fruits did work like this I don't think it'd be particularly left field

Watch it when you get chance

If that were to be the case, I think they'd have to have eaten a particularly powerful fruit to begin with if it were to cause so much fallout
    I couldn't see, say, Kalifa's Fruit causing a 100 year long war

13. AkainuWrrshiprr

Millwright-in-Training
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps when the world runs out of soap, it would...

14. Marco Polo

ドナルド・トランプ
    Expand Collapse

:flushed::flushed::flushed:

I sense a theory coming...

15. AkainuWrrshiprr

Millwright-in-Training
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I sense it too.... i can feel the mind juices flowing already.

@Willster328 I see Blackbeard is one of your fav characters...nice.

16. PwnGoat

Expand Collapse

Wouldn't that give Brook and Big Mom a lot of potential? Like imagine if Big Mom could literally rip a devil fruit out of a still living person.

17. Marco Polo

ドナルド・トランプ
    Expand Collapse

Brook's fruit seems to be more connected to his own soul rather than the souls of others, but I think his ability will be useful during the Sanji Retrieval arc, since Big Mom won't be able to take his lifespan (he already dead)

18. PwnGoat

Expand Collapse

Brook also has the ability to do stuff like the ice ability which he claims to be ice from the underworld, his power isn't just manipulating his own soul, albeit he doesn't just control other people's souls he can probably do some amazing things.

19. PwnGoat

Expand Collapse

The void century was a dark and dirty time.

20. clayton davis

Expand Collapse

I do not think they come from a tree because i think it has to do with the energy the devil fruit might give off. in recent episodes (I think 605) you literally see an apple turn into a devil fruit so I think the energy that Smiley was giving off (on Hazard Punk, which is where Dr. Vegapunk worked before he disappeared) was what created this specific devil fruit. Also, when Ace died, his devil fruit power was basically recycled to another fruit so someone else could eat it so the only way that could've happened would be I'm guessing energy. no one could've created Ace's devil fruit AGAIN. its too coincidental. That's my take.