One Piece Top 10 - The Most Popular Marines!

Discussion in 'One Piece General' started by Owl, May 1, 2016.

1. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Good day, and welcome to the One Piece Forum YouTube channel! In this video, @Zeek discusses the forum's voting results for the top 10 most popular Marines in One Piece while giving his opinions! Enjoy, subscribe and join the discussion!

Special thanks to: @Zeek, @Jawahib, @Marco Polo, @FrankyGaon15, @Mapache, @Tony, @Wolf, @Dineria, @X Drake and @Phantom!
    What is your personal top 10? Which ones do you like more? Do you agree with this list? What would you change? Remember that this list was the voting results from the One Piece Forum! Watch the video and join the discussion!

We plan to release a lot more videos for this new series, so go ahead and subscribe!
    (and like the video too!)

2. Chaudfontaine

The Epicurean
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I mainly will remember that the forum is laidback and chill in his preferences :tongueclosed:

Wolf, Zeek and Owl like this.
  3. menma

Uncle
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

very nice job guys! :D really good video

Zeek and Owl like this.
  4. Cosmos

Ms. Owl
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Yesss A new series of episodes in the OPF channel! :blush: Congratz guys!!

Zeek and Owl like this.
  5. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

No Condoriano? No thanks.. Thumbs down! (Just kidding) :P
    It was a great video! Excellent job :)

Here's my take: (Going to put in spoiler tag so I don't ruin the video) ;)

10: Tashigi/Tsuru (tie) - The fact that Tsuru is like 100 years old and still revered shows that she is very powerful. The fact that Tashigi is at the bottom of the list will make a certain member upset (sorry @FoolishYoungling ) :P

9: Akainu - I'm really surprised he was so low on the list. Yes, we aren't meant to like him, but number 9? I would've pegged him for top 5 at least!

8: Coby - I agree that first seeing him, then seeing Smoker, you can't see him rising up to Captain Level. A part of me still thinks that Capt. Coby isn't as strong as Smoker was at Capt. but I could be wrong. As for becoming Fleet Admiral, it's most likely, but NO! There is only one true Fleet Admiral for the Future :P

7: Rocinante - We've seen so little of him so I do forget that he technically was a Marine. I think this is a good rating for him, but agree that if he managed to survive, he'd be way up the ladder.

6: Sengoku - I agree with everything said.

5: Aokiji - With the upcoming arcs, I'm sure we'll see a lot more of him. I highly doubt he truly joined Blackbeard so that'll make it intersting to see what he does next.

4: Borsalino - No, no and NO! Borsalino is easily top 2! Yes, we haven't seen his true potential but I know he is easily the strongest Marine! :P

3: Fujitora - I love this Character. Just like with Sengoku, I agree 100%

2: Smoker - Smoker to me has always been great. He's my 3rd favorite to become Fleet Admiral.

1: Garp - This one was obvious when I came across the top 4. Garp is really great and does deserve a top spot.
    That's my take on it! A great video, keep it up! :)

Polybotes, Zeek and Owl like this.
  6. lunaxzorobin

Expand Collapse

Did Smoker even have Haki as a captain?

7. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure, but I still think Capt. Smoker>Capt. Coby
    Mainly due to Smoker's Devil Fruit :)

8. lunaxzorobin

Expand Collapse

Well I guess I can go along with that but without DF abilities Coby is probably stronger

Edinbour likes this.
  9. Zeek

The 10th Mugiwara
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Depends on whether or not you believe that Coby has the ability to use armourment.

Tactically and hand-to-hand Coby would have to have to have the advantage. Having certain abilities makes it to where people usually rest on their laurels and they become so used to winning off of an ability. I'm sure when he was dealing with Captain level threats he would use his abilities and never run into an armourment user.

10. lunaxzorobin

Expand Collapse

So the plot would help him escape from certain situations?:sweatsmile:

Zeek likes this.
  11. Zeek

The 10th Mugiwara
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Essentially lol

Regardless, Smoker and Coby while captains have to be on the same tier. Remember that Smoker's first promotion came from a cover up instead of merit. Now he has definitely improved over time but I think Coby is a 'sleeper' character. I think we're supposed to routInely forget about him so that when he becomes awesome it's a surprise.

Looking back at our list again I will say Akainu's was the most surprising for me as well. Not a fan of him but I respect his character as it has been more recently fleshed out. Some part of me tells me that his fight with Kuzan was staged to justify Kuzan's exit and infiltration into Blackbeard's crew. Likely he is the one that gave up the Revolutionary bases' location.

Wolf likes this.
  12. lunaxzorobin

Expand Collapse

#12 lunaxzorobin, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Most likely there are times when the forum makes me like Akainu more than I ever would have thought. And I guess we should stop talking about Coby all together and 5 years he'll get re-introduced and all the speculation will come back.

Zeek likes this.
  13. Marco Polo

Marc'emon
    Expand Collapse

#13 Marco Polo, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    A stunning debut, @Zeek

Do you do a lot of stuff like this? You come across pretty naturally

P.S. s/o to Smoker for upholdin 'Murican values

Owl and Zeek like this.
  14. Rogue

Most in love with Tashigi (Moman is a liar)
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Willing to fight anybody here in a 1v1 irl to have Tashigi move up 9 spots. :grin:

And when was this poll held? Nobody spammed my pms 20 times a day about this, so this doesn't count, Tashigi haters. :ragecry:

Wolf, Zeek and Chaudfontaine like this.
  15. Chaudfontaine

The Epicurean
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

16. Zeek

The 10th Mugiwara
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I've been studying to be a teacher at ny University lol if that counts

Owl, Wolf and Marco Polo like this.
  17. Marco Polo

Marc'emon
    Expand Collapse

That does involve public speaking so I can see that

Zeek likes this.
  18. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

@FoolishYoungling Tsuru>Tashigi so Tashigi is number 11 and loses her spot in the top 10 and the video.
    U Mad Bro?

19. Date Damon

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Wow, nice! Hope to see more videos from you. When is the next top 10 poll held and what is it about? You got any ideas yet?

Owl and Zeek like this.
  20. Seiryu

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Great video! Thanks to all of those involved in all of the organization/execution since I can only imagine the amount of work it took.

But in terms of what was mentioned, Coby is foreshadowed to become an admiral (not fleet admiral). I have my doubts about a second time skip simply because Oda doesn't want to mirror his peers. The time skip only happened because Luffy did not have the power to protect those he cares about. The time skip gave him the building blocks to build towards this goal. I will readily admit that Luffy is still far from the top of the powerhouse tier, but Oda's got quite a twist in a couple of years to work around this.

In terms of the story line, it would make sense for Fujitora to take a similar route as Aokiji and relinquish his post to maintain his view of justice. This would open a spot for Coby.

I actually disagree with the commentary on Smoker/Tashigi. Luffy and Zoro respectively have shown that they passed their Marine rivals by leaps and bounds. Thus rather than valid antagonists, they would fit as allies or at least supporters from the "enemy side". This directly leads to Aokiji, who is painted in a similar manner in terms of the story line. With his strong sense of justice, Aokiji joining Blackbeard for the sake of power or supporting him to become Pirate King makes no sense. The cliche of keeping your enemies closer would make for a rational explanation. Considering his judgement and morals, it makes sense for him to be a key double agent to help out the ultimate cause at his own expense.

In terms of Tsuru, she is shown to be a great "support" character (she is able to heal people by "cleaning" them like laundry). We have never seen her actually fight. Plus when she was first introduced, a normal physique implied normal power (recent characters have gigantic physiques to reflect their superior power level). Moreover her respect from fellow Marines appears to stem from her sound judgement and advice versus from her combat abilities (Akainu is shown to rule by an iron fist; refer to Akainu attacking the Marine fleeing the War at Marineford). Just like Garp and Sengoku, they are more mentors/advisers rather than key antagonists (I forget his name but the Marine ranked higher than Fleet Admiral had a conversation with Sengoku that the legend of Sengoku/Garp was a significant moral booster for the younger marines, which necessitated them staying around even if in some fake title only). Speaking of which, the most recent chapter has Sengoku as the base for the comic character "Sora" (the seagull on their heads), implying he has a widespread cultural impact on the world as well.

Owl likes this.