Section Description Threads

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Feedback & Support' started by Red, Sep 18, 2016.

?

Is it a good idea to have a sticky description thread for each section that explains its working?

1. Yes, it is more organized and helps oldies and newbies alike.

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. I don't fully understand why this is needed, but I'm not against it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nope, not necessary.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Red

Red
    Prince of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

This may be a long read and I apologize in advance for this.

I had earlier suggested to our beloved admin Owlmos about the need of incorporating one sticky thread for each section or subforum describing on what that particular section/subforum entails and the rules to create a particular thread or discussion. I think it's best if I voice it out to the community now in order to know what the general position is on this particular idea, so I've created a poll for this. Please vote after reading this.

I personally think this is very important since we are a community trying to deal with activity. More activity comes with more users, which mean more people logging in and staying. I think I can bravely state without much disagreement that there are a lot of users that log in, read one or two of the topics, maybe stay a few days and then forget about it. @Grin's OwlBot thread however addresses this situation to make it clear to the newer members on what must be done where. The Forum Guidebook by @varunjitsingh641 also helps in this department since it gives new users a general idea of the structure of the forum. However, activity is gained by posting. BlackDuck's old thread on "How to make a thread" addresses this perfectly, but considering the new layout of the forum there are bound to be a couple of changes to be made, in which I am ready and willing to help. So, I recommend a short intro or beginner's guide on using the forum, posting, the usergroups, making a thread, searching, etc. This may seem stupid for us who post and reply in reflex, but for newer members, it takes time to adapt. (In fact, the reason I stayed was because of the RPG in the first place, so the OPF would have lost one of its best members had that not begun :P.)

The second reason why I think this is important is with regards to a conversation I had with Owl regarding a particular style/layout wanted for the Manga Chapters. This is in order to have a particular standard or format while creating a chapter to avoid confusion and prevent the forum from getting messy. However, the moderators and admins who know the said format naturally cannot be online at all times, thus allowing any other member to create the chapter thread. However, in some cases, the member may not use the format required which necessitates a moderator edit. Again, I reiterate my point: this may not always happen since a mod/admin cannot be online 24x7 and can sometimes overlook certain threads. Therefore, there is a need of a sticky thread that includes a code in it. A member that sees the chapter come out early can just copy the code from the sticky, and edit the parameters that require changing, namely the Title, the image and the chapter link. This is further helpful since this is much faster than usual, and search results can directly point to us.

Finally, it is more neat, organized and reputable to have a sticky thread for each section with an explanation of how each section works.

I hope I have been sufficiently articulate in pointing out why this suggestion is necessary.

I'd like some views on this since I took some time writing this down from my thoughts, it was pretty difficult putting them into text. Granted, it's a little long, but I believe it can make very significant changes!

Note: If you have selected Option 2 or 3, I'd like you to reply why. Thanks!

Moman, Skivar, Wolf and 4 others like this.
  2. Grin

the hero you deserve
    Expand Collapse

I can do them for my section as soon as there's a general consesus. Or can I just decide myself, @Owl?

Red likes this.
  3. Red

Red
    Prince of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

yay i have mod support <3

4. Skivar

President of the USA (The Donald)
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Ive been working on making templates for formulating suggestions and theories. I could add section descriptions to those threads if you guys feel it's appropriate. The threads should be posted within the next few days. Great idea Phantom!

Red likes this.
  5. Chaudfontaine

The Epicurean
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Cool idea, with some games etc it's certainly helpfull!

6. Cosmos

Ms. Owl
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

games ?

7. Grin

the hero you deserve
    Expand Collapse

If you mean forum games, those should have the rules in the first post, right? If it's the RPG, it could use one when it does get active again...

Chaudfontaine likes this.
  8. Cosmos

Ms. Owl
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Ah! I understand the games comment now...

Chaudfontaine likes this.
  9. Marco Polo

ドナルド・トランプ
    Expand Collapse

There are some places where I think this is a really good idea (chapter/episode threads) and others where it's either a) not necessarily applicable (General Lounge because people can make a thread about anything), or b) a bit too much (Theories: it'd stifle creativity a little to tell people how to format their theories, especially new theory writers who think the guidelines have to be followed to the letter)

However, I'm not opposed to the idea as long as it doesn't become a "this thread doesn't follow the forum guidelines so mods have closed it /heavily edited it so it fits the template. They're a good idea for people who have no prior forum experience and want a clear idea of how to structure longer posts/theories/reviews etc. But for things like theories, they should be a guideline but not an enforced thing.

Speaking of reviews, a review subsection in the general anime/manga section could be nice... Would 10/10 spam it with reviews

Red, Cosmos and Grin like this.
  10. Red

Red
    Prince of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

@Marco Polo, I completely agree with what you're saying and that wasn't the intention of this thread. Also, a Description thread isn't necessarily a Rule thread, just a thread that describes the purpose of that particular section. If you have no clue what to do there, it's a big help.

Second, obviously there would be no format required to post a theory :P
    Just suggested methods on how to deliver and put forth a good theory, example: A nice title, images, bullet points , etc.

Just a little update on what's been happening, in case you haven't seen yet, a thread for the chapter layout has been made: opforum.net/threads/layout-how-to-post-a-chapter-thread.53371/

Skivar likes this.
  11. Skivar

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Update on my end: Suggestions Section Intro & Template has been posted. I'll finish the theory one when I've recovered.

Red likes this.
  12. Skivar

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Kyros likes this.
  13. Skivar

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse