1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Advertising

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Feedback & Support' started by Bakugan2556, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Bakugan2556

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Hey i have a quick idea.
    I've been thinking about something that this forum has been lacking.
    What am i talking about? Why, new Members!
    As of the time i'm posting this, we have only gained 4 new members in the month, about 20 since I joined, and most of them have left(although that's understandable in most cases)
    What's the easiest and cost friendly way to get new members? Well, we could advertise!
    I think the easiest site to advertise would be Roblox (don't hate me) as they have a built in ad system ( read; i don't understand the system) which allows the user base to advertise there games.

But ......
    What if we made an ad for this forum? It isn't that hard, as far as i'm aware, and is cost friendly (400 robux just costs 5 dollars)

It does cost robux though, but as i mentioned above, this is the most cost friendly way of running ads (besides youtube, but I generally don't click on ad links, and I doubt most people do so)

@Owl, thoughts?

2. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

We don't really have the money to invest on advertising and I don't think your suggested place to advertise would even be beneficial to us since it's not our target audience. I would prefer Facebook of all the options we have. But, at the end of the day, I would much more likely invest in our own development instead of advertising.

Where are you getting your data from?

3. Bakugan2556

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

My secret....

Jokes aside, I checked the konnichiwa area and checked the last time said user was online.

A week offline=might have left, might not have time, etc
    Month=more likely than not they left, might be in danger if not
    anything above 4 months is about 90% certain someone has left

4. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

We get more members than those who actually post in that section, though. :P

5. Christina Choi

Little Panda
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

@Owl sorry i don't really know about this kind of stuff but if there are more members, is there a prize(something that you get)? If not, @Bakugan2556 i don't think we need to try so hard getting new members, especially if they're just gonna leave after a few days.

6. Glaze D. Bacon

Seated at the right hand of Goda
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Hmm...maybe the official OPF Twitter can promote their tweets? Other than that I don't know how to get the word out for an unofficial forum such as this one.

7. Bakugan2556

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Eh true, and i do admit I like how this forum is so tightnit. Then again something needs to be done in terms keeping new users here, maybe something like a special tag to new users that gives them some admin permissions(something small, like being able to upload avatar files greater than the limit would be cool)

The main reason I stayed at this forum is because I used to be a diehard OnePiece fan(don't really watch much anime now, the reddit subbreddit r/anime is #cancer and caused my main account to go into negative karma)

Edit: I was using the konnichiwa area for a sample, you and the mods are probably the only people that could make a user record ( you should make a bot that tracks new members register so we have a complete population of users)

8. Marco Polo

ダサい
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

We lost our main Facebook page to the Zuck, so that's a 380,000 strong audience lost

I've been busy so haven't been able to tweet as much as normal unfortunately

@Owl once I'm on the new FB page I don't mind chipping in to promote the odd post if you'd be game for that?

9. Judgement

Onii-chan of OPF
    Busoshoku Haki Member of the Season
    Expand Collapse

I think it also helps if the members themselves tell everybody that might be interested about this forum. For example, I brought my best friend here (who will be active again soon) and am currently spreading the word in my anime/manga-related friends group. That kind of advertising is free, however, it's on a small scale and limited. Better than nothing, though.

I believe Owl or somebody else also made a signature to promote OPF on other forums. I mostly reside on Trainer Tower (a forum for competitive Pokémon players), but I presume there's a lot more other forums out there. I'll probably also post a link in my Facebook info. Sharing/liking OPF tweets and Facebook posts also helps. If everybody on the forum does stuff like this, we could have a lot of free exposure!

10. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I don't think it would be a terrible thing for this site to have a donation link. I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment but I'd love for this site to be a little more active. The design is above and beyond better than Arlong Park but the passing can be slow.

11. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

So great you don't need to insult other girls
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

You really should have a donate link though. I found this forum through fantheory links in the YouTube comments, so maybe we could spread links to fantheories onto other places to get people interested in this place (though we should only spread the most carefully crafted theories). We could also spread links to the art threads too!

Moman likes this.
  12. 4thBlade

Ice Prodigy
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I still don't know how to put money on paypal. Damn you brain. But as for advertising, we the members can freely do that on other social media platforms like facebook and etc.

I personally like the facebook fanpage, with the eye-catching clickbait(in a good way) about updates, spoilers and theories. What i would want is more One Piece related memes, that is by far the trendiest advertising tactic i could think of. The more witty the meme/message the more audience we can haul in.

13. Judgement

Onii-chan of OPF
    Busoshoku Haki Member of the Season
    Expand Collapse

Nice idea!! I would love to create a bunch of memes. Maybe some people want to join forces.

4thBlade likes this.
  14. Rohan

Expand Collapse

Based on my experience on advertising for a particular site I would say it's not worth it.

If you invite your friends they would either refuse to join or even worse they will join, stay active for a while and then leave. It becomes annoying to repeatedly remind them to be active not only for them but for you also.

If you go and advertise on ad forums, you might go for months getting no results. Even if you do get results the above leave pattern happens.

Thus it's best for the members to post as much as they can in the forums and get involved in events and staff should post quality content, features, contests and events. Do this and activity will rise gradually. Sure it would take months but if activity rises rapidly it's not a good sign as the activity might collapse in the future. A slow and gradual organic rise in activity prevents this.

Alternative methods to advertising which work long term is affiliating with different forums not based on anime and manga (The more diverse the better) and advertising in Twitter, Facebook and social media sites.

Owl and 4thBlade like this.