1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Best Big Bads

Discussion in 'One Piece General' started by Kyojiro, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Kyojiro

Expand Collapse

So hey guys, I'm new here, and I don't quite know how everything works yet. I also can't seem to make the mechanic for choosing a profile pic work, frustratingly. Anyway, I tend to have a lot of thoughts on these kinds of things, and I got tired of keeping them to myself, so I decided to share them with you so you can share your thoughts as well. My first topic will be as follows: What are your favorite Big Bads of One Piece? This has nothing to do with strength, just your personal preference. Also, I'm not sure if making a poll for this is a good idea, I just want people to write their thoughts.

Now, only certain antagonists can qualify for this. Also, it doesn't have to be your top 5, that's just what I'm doing. First, they to be the main antagonist, not a secondary like Mr. 1 or Kaku. Second, they have to be indisputably the big bad, aka, the biggest threat of that arc. Because of this, antagonists such as Akainu or Kaido do not count, because they have not been the center of an arc. Marineford was full of big bads and Akainu was only one of them, and we don't even know that much about Kaido yet. A character such as Foxy or Bellamy however, even though their arcs were short, do count. And that's it. Here's my top 5. Also, be warned, this is gonna be really long and detailed.

5. Arlong.
    [​IMG]
    Taking the five spot is an early villain, and by current standards totally irrelevant in terms of strength. At the time, however, this guy was easily the most intimidating, sinister villain we had seen so far. He was the first villain that felt truly frightening and impressive, except for maybe Kuro, but I don't know man, Kuro isn't all he's made out to be. His plan made no sense and he got pretty easily demolished by Luffy if I remember correctly, similar to Don Krieg. This guy was the first real threat that gave our heroes real problems. Also, the amount of psychological torture and mental trauma he put Nami through is nothing short of vile, and his actions will always have an everlasting effect on Nami, one of our main characters. Even in the Fishman Island arc, hundreds of episodes and more than two years in canon after his defeat, Nami is still shown to be visibly shaken by memories of his cruelty. Not to mention, his actions inspired the villains of the Fishman arc, as lame as they were. That's staying power. Truly a classic One Piece villain.

4. Magellan
    [​IMG]
    Even though this guy's devil fruit isn't a logia as I think it should have been, this guy's abilities are still an unbelievable force to be reckoned with, but as I said, this isn't about strength. Magellan is here for a few reasons. One, well, just look at that guy. Would you want to go up against that? Immensely intimidating, both on a physical and mental sense. This guys is just scary as hell on all accounts. I mean, he literally looks like some form of Satan, and he's basically running Hell. So there you go. This guy is scary, smart, strong, yet strangely, despite his appearance, he never came off as particularly evil. Strict and ruthless yes, but this guy is almost straight as an arrow. He's not especially diabolical like Doflamingo, or ammoral like Rob Lucci. He's really not a malevolent person. He's like a less extreme, cruel, more likable version of Akainu. A man who believes in the firm, solid hand of justice. He's one of the more morally upstanding villains of One Piece, and that's what makes him so interesting to me.

3. Crocodile.
    [​IMG]
    Oh man, now we're getting into some of my favorite characters ever, period. So, Crocodile is freakin' awesome, as many of you would agree. Not only is this guy powerful as hell, but he's also got such a likable personality. Sure, he's a dastardly douche, but there's something about him man that just makes you smile. Maybe it's his cigar. I especially like his voice in the dub, because he's got some great lines. After saving Luffy from the clutches of Mihawk in Marineford, he says this to the Shichibukai, who may I remind you, is the greatest swordsman in the world.

"I'm not in the mood to take your crap or anyone else's. If you want to fight that hurry up and do it."

How badass is that? He's like a One Piece version of Max Payne in that scene. Tired, fed up with everything, and not much to lose. He's also one of the villains in One Piece who comes back after his initial appearance, although he's probably the most significant. He becomes an anti hero in Impel Down and Marineford, and then this character, this guy who've known so far as to be a heartless, unfeeling manipulator, starts to show a lighter side. We start to actually root for Crocodile to win, something we never imagined would happen during the Alabasta arc, or at least I didn't. At the time of his appearance, he was arguably the most cruel, sinister villain in the show so far, and while I don't think he would ever admit it, I think there's some good in this guy. Yet at the same time, he's still pretty sinister. That's something you don't see a lot, and I find it very refreshing and complex.

As much as I've praised moral complexity so far, my top two are pretty much straight bad guy, but here's the thing. I'm a lover of crazy, yet also collected as shit types of villains. Villains like your Heath Leder's Joker (Or really just the joker in general actually), or Raoul Silva from the James Bond movie "Skyfall." Characters who are charismatic and cool to extreme levels, who always seem like they're one step ahead. Guys who just do really messed up things and love doing them. They're my weakness man. That's why i love Farcry villains so much. One of these guys isn't quite as crazy as the other, and this was an incredibly intense match, but at the end of the day, it was style of all things that won the battle. You'll see what I mean in a moment.

2. Donquixote Doflamingo
    [​IMG]
    Man, this was such a hard call. Such a hard call. I'm sure many of you have guessed who No.1 is gonna be now, but I'm still not giving it away. How do I put this simply? I fucking love this guy. Doflamingo is just one of those villains who you know is totally nuts and evil from the start, but you don't even care because he's just so damn cool and fun to watch. From his very first scene when he used his abilities to force those two Marines to almost kill each other in the Shichibukai meeting just because he was bored, to his constant (usually hilarious), foreshadowing of events that let you know he had a master plan the entire time, true to the nature of his control oriented devil fruit.

That said, despite his planning and manipulation, this guy just does whatever the hell he wants, and doesn't care who he pisses off. He even threatens Sengoku, the Fleet Admiral at the time, and a member of the Gorosei. He gives that little amount of fucks. And that laugh man. Don't get me started with that laugh. While I said I prefer Crocodile's English voice as compared to his Japanese one, here it's the exact opposite. You really don't get the full experience of Doflamingo unless you watch the sub, which really sucks for me doesn't it? I have to alternate if I want to enjoy them both. Despite the anime's flaws with the Dressrosa arc, I still loved the final battle with Luffy at the end, so that also works to his favor. Also, despite the fact that I said this choice came down to style and character design, I still adore Doflamingo's, I just like the next guy's a little bit more. Doflamingo is such a fabulously dressed dude, but it doesn't feel like too much like Bon Kurei did, at least for me. Everything about him screams chaos, which is very interesting actually, because a lot about this next guy screams "order." If you haven't guessed who it is by now, well, have you even watched this show?

1. Rob Lucci
    [​IMG]

Here we are. The end of the line. The grand finale. One of my favorite characters of all time, never mind One Piece or anime. This guy has so much class it's often comical, but still just as cool. If there were ever a One Piece villain that was the king of cool, and the master of style, it's Rob Lucci. It's not enough that he dresses like a mob boss on the way to dance in a Michael Jackson music video, or that cold, sleek, chilling voice of his, he had to have a freaking pet bird that wears a tie and drinks fucking tea. He's such a serious character, and while something as funny as that SHOULD take away from it, it just doesn't. It's adorable and hilarious. It's the only thing about Lucci that implies a softer side, his connection to this damn bird. I want to know how they got together dammit. I want to see the Lucci heart-breaking sob story. How he came to be this anime version of Agent 47 only with to-die-for locks, and why this bird ended up being his only friend. Except for, arguably, MAYBE Kaku. I also wonder if he really does hold some affection for Paulie and the other shipwrights, but he denies it and shoves it under this unbreakable facade of unphaseable coolness/coldness. It's hard to say. Is he a total unfeeling killing machine, or is there more underneath? There's such a mysterious factor to the guy. The thing that really pushed Lucci over Doflamingo is these little quirks and details I love so much.

Besides all that, the guy is just 100% unadulterated badass. He was easily the most intimidating villain Lucci had faced at the time, and arguably he still is. At least, I would argue that. This guy and his posse totally handed Luffy's crew their own asses on a silver, finely decorated plate, and he's one of the few antagonists to actually "win" an arc. They soundly defeated Luffy and his friends at Water 7. They got demolished. Sure, Crocodile defeated Luffy before, but this was the first time the Straw Hat Crew had been totally beaten as a whole, and didn't come back to win later in the arc. Sure, Water 7 directly leads into Enies Lobby, but you have to wait another entire arc to see them even the score, and it's really long. The Enles Lobby Arc is also objectively one of the best One Piece arcs ever, and my personal favorite, so that also works heavily in Lucci's favor. His devil fruit, as straightforward as it is (I mean, he's a leopard), still manages to be the shit because it's in the hands of Lucci. He makes it one of the coolest devil fruits because of the way he is able to compliment his own rokushiki abilities with the enhanced strength of his Zoan fruit, rather than rely on the fruit completely, like Crocodile or Enel. He's versatile, and deadly as hell. Despite his almost entirely reserved nature, he's also undeniably psychotic and lives for the fight, as shown in his absurdly unnerving grin he gave us (which I unfortunately can't find) right before his final clash with Luffy began.

He's also got no specific weaknesses, like Enel or Crocodile. The only way to beat Lucci is just to freaking beat him down until he can't stand up, like Luffy did. Lucci was so powerful you felt like he could kick the asses of main villains of future arcs, like Moria or Hodi. The only bad thing about him at the time was that he seemed to forgotten about after his defeat, and with that side comic that came out, it seemed he was doomed to the same fate as Enel, Arlong, Kuro, and many others: Never showing up to play a major part in the story again. But the, Oda answered my prayers and made my day (hell, my month) when Lucci reappeared as the new leader of CP0. True we haven't seen much of him yet, but with his appearance in the Gold Movie, even though it's not canon, I think they're really building up to another major appearance, and I can hardly wait. Who knows how strong he is now.

Anyway, this is getting way out of hand, and I could go on for days about my love for Lucci, but I'm gonna call it there. I'm sure you've all had enough of my obsession if you made it this far. At first when Lucci first appeared as a shipwright, I thought he was cool with his pet bird, but the moment he revealed his true colors, I knew from the start I had found my new favorite villain, and he has yet to be dethroned.

So, what are some of your favorite Big Bads? Admittedly, I made this largely just so I could get this all out there, but I'm also really interested in hearing other people's opinions and favorites.

Seiryu and Marco Polo like this.
  2. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Sorry this took so long to be approved, new member threads don't normally have to be mod-approved so I don't know what's happened there

My favourite big bad will always be Arlong - his arc was the one that really got me to stick with One Piece

Big props to Doflamingo and Croc, they really did bring the full package as antagonists, and Luffy vs Crocodile was great fun every time

3. Kyojiro

Expand Collapse

Cool, cool, thanks so much. I feel an honorable mention for me should go to Bellamy, because even though I didn't like him at the time when he was the bad guy, and I liked him when he returned. I couldn't honestly say I liked him as a Big Bad though.

Marco Polo likes this.
  4. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

You put Arlong and Crocodile on your list? You have my respect, new crewmate.

The moment I first watched We Are! where it showed the East Blue villains, I knew these guys were gonna be real nasties from the get-go. The polarity between villains like Don Krieg, Arlong, and Smoker with the happy-go-lucky Luffy was astonishing to me at the time. The villains just kept getting more evil and better at the same time; Doflamingo, Eneru, and Crocodile (my favorite) blew the East Blue pirates out of the water. :)

5. Kyojiro

Expand Collapse

I can understand Arlong, but why are you surprised at Crocodile?

Also, how do you add those little things at the end of your messages? Is it like some sort of signature? I'm new to forums in general and I never understood it.

Glaze D. Bacon likes this.
  6. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Crocodile just fits the classic villain style in my book. He caculates things carefully from behind the scenes, is very charismatic and cunning, looks awesome, has an intimidating Devil Fruit power, and is just...plain evil.

Those are signatures, alright. You can change them by clicking on your profile pic on the top right, then selecting “Signature.”

7. Kyojiro

Expand Collapse

Alright, I found one I think I like. Because no one else has mentioned him, what are your thoughts on Lucci?

8. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I think Lucci is cool, just not as cool as my favorites, hehe. He doesn't have that flair that I saw in other villains, but his coldheartedness makes up for it.

9. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I can definitely agree with the rankings (which appear to be based on their level of causing mayhem to the crew/plot). I personally would rank the baddies primarily based on Luffy's level of difficulty (or inability) to defeat them. Not that I don't think other variables are important, but from the emotional side this is what leaves emotional scars for the protagonists and us readers.

1. Akainu (purely for Ace and Luffy going into pure shock)
    2. Kizaru/Sentoumaru/Kuma (one of the saddest scenes in the series as Luffy loses his nakam one by one; a little bit of a cop-out since it's a group of powerhouses, but the scene justifies it to me)
    3. Croc: I feel like I gotta clarify how this is purely based on Luffy's multiple defeats (and deaths if not for the plot armor). Other than the upcoming fight against Kaidou, this was the biggest jump in competition for Luffy throughout the entire series, which is why Oda masterfully had Luffy struggle through multiple defeats.
    4. Magellan: I think the biggest thing is that Luffy needed a bunch of help just to escape. Luffy undoubtedly wins easily now that he has haki and a beefed up immune system (immunity unless Magellan was able to upgrade his poison), but that's the case for almost all other baddies.
    5. Doffy: I would argue that Oda was simply negating the fatigue of Luffy battling his was up to Doffy (in regards to the damage from Law's gamma knife/other combination attacks). Ultimately, Oda wants them to be viewed as equals in combat capabilities so the plot necessitated external assistance. Doffy as a whole is just a great baddie, so I had to include him.

10. Kyojiro

Expand Collapse

Well as I said, the Straw Hat crew really didn't stand much of a chance against CP9 at first either. They just tossed them aside as if they were bugs.

11. Kyojiro

Expand Collapse

By the way, is your username the Seiryu from Yu Yu Hakusho? The guy who got wrecked by Hiei in 10 seconds flat?

12. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

No different kanji. I did enjoy Yu Yu Hakusho though.

13. KKG

KKG
    If you support watermarks i hate you
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

1-Akainu
    Greatest bad guy because he goes for the kill everytime he fights,kill every pirate on sight.
    2-Teach
    This one caused the Paramount War because of his ambitions.
    He killed the strongest man in the world.
    3-Mingo
    He despised every people who weren't on his level,he enslaved people acting like a sneaky elitist bastard and he was insanely op.
    He was way ahead of Luffy,if Law didn't hit him with Gamma Knife Luffy would never beat him even with King Kong Gun.
    4-Crocodile
    Beast DF,sneaky and very smart.
    The well known cancer aka Oda's plot armor saved Luffy from dying 2 or 3 times fighting him.
    5-Maggellan
    He came as close as Akainu of killing Luffy and he hated pirates

14. TiedyEPIC

Expand Collapse

I agree with Lucci, I think he is a great character. Really the only thing I disagree with is Magellan, because to me he doesn't seem like a bad guy. He just fights for what he believes in, and works to do his job. The thing you have to consider is that the pirates ARE the bad guys, and they consider themselves as such. Think about Luffy and Zoros reactions to being called heroes.

15. Kia

Kia
    I resemble that remark
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

But the reason they don’t want to be called heroes is just so they don’t have to share their meat and sake. Luffy specifically said that he really likes heroes. If he considered himself a bad guy, he wouldn’t like heroes. They’re more the free spirit kind of pirate than the destruction oriented type.

16. Kyojiro

Expand Collapse

I don't think Magellan is a bad guy either, but he's still the main antagonist of the arc and therefore a villain. The fact that he's actually not a bad guy is what helped get him on this list.

17. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Woah...Magellan willingly tortures anyone and often leaves them to die from his poison if they dare lift a finger against him. He isn't as dastardly as Shiryuu, but I would not call him a good guy. Oda makes it quite clear that the entire world in One Piece is filled with evil people and the moral people are in the vast minority (in terms of people with power; we don't see much character development of the commoners).