1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Biggest News from Reverie

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Seiryu, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

#1 Seiryu, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Unless Oda has some sort of weird wardrobe design for Mjoscard, he is kneeling in apology to Neptune (Oda has the grass drawn right next to what should be his gloves).
    1.png
    If you don't think this is a HUGE deal, don't for get about this scene:
    2.png

To give some cultural background, in Japan/traditional Japanese culture the concept of "lowering" oneself in all aspects (using keigo, not making direct eye contact, physically bowing lower, always ceding the right of way, etc.) is an integral part of the culture to ALL superiors. Other cultures definitely have aspects of this, but it is refined to almost an art form in Japan. In my opinion, it all comes down to showing proper respect.

In both of these cases, the superior is clearly going out of their way to do the opposite of "lowering" themselves to reflect the extent of their regret/apology. In Fujitora's case, Riku is still higher ranking, but the fact that he is making the Marines "lose face" by the extent of his apology is the biggest factor as to why he is banned from all "bases" (something I think Oda purposefully reminded us last chapter).

The only way this doesn't become the biggest news is if there is no picture of this event. I forget his name, but I trust my ability to recognize faces that the famous bounty photographer is now working for Morgan.
    1.png
    Edit: Attach is a "legend" from the early SBS because he was more of a gag upon introduction (which is why he's got the typical wacky character design). He is the one to take pretty much all the bounty photos. He's obviously a weakling, but he has the skill, wit, and luck to survive battlegrounds with the world's strongest (the pictures are always right after a major fight). I forgot Oda created the photo department of the Marines so thanks to @Tony for that part. He is the highest ranking Marine for the department, so Oda has always had him magically be where ever the action is. So I don't see access to the upper grounds being an issue.

With his reputation/Marine ties, I would assume he is allowed access to the upper grounds. With the picture as proof, even with Dragon/RA's declaration of war, the Mjoscard picture trumps the impact on the general public by far. The core of the world is being changed in this very moment. To a certain extent, it takes away from the declaration of war (the general public knows the evil of Tenryuubito, so the humanization takes at least the edge off of pure disdain). This goes hand-in-hand with his comments on being granted his humanity back from Otohime.

At the very minimum, this scene gets an expanded role in the anime (canon-filler). In true Oda fashion, I think he delays the Shanks part of the mini-arc and sticks to the actual Reverie events in the next chapter. Oda couldn't fit other surprised faces (pretty much only Neptune's face), so I have a hard time seeing this not being expanded upon (and probably the focal point) next chapter. Maybe this changes Sabo's heart? I can see Oda potentially doing something like that. Don't forget that the core of this entire manga/plot is morals, so this is 100% going to have more ties than just Neptune/Shirahoshi based on how he apologized.

2. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Very nice observation man. I never noticed that Mjosgard was kneeling. That could be a really Big News !
    However, I highly doubt that camera guys and other Morgan's men are up there in Mary Geoise. The only people allowed to enter the Holy Land are Celestial Dragons, Marines, World Government's agents, guards, and royalties. That's why Shanks being there puzzled every manga reader.

3. GoldenVenus

Lord of the Underworld
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

You have keen observation, I didn't even notice the grass and that he was kneeling. Yeah I agree that the fact that a Tenryuubito actually kneels in front of someone and apologizes is a huge thing that probably can't be ignored, both by the WG and other Tenryuubbito. And the fact that he's a Doquixote makes me wonder if there's more to the Donquixote family than we know. I mean, Oda could make the guy someone else, but he's a Donquixote, of all people.

Anyway, like @Admiral Ryokugyu said, even though Mjosgard kneeling is not something to be ignored, I don't think anyone unrelated will be allowed there. Even if it's someone with a connection to the WG, the place isn't just for anyone. I don't think they'd simply let a photographer be there. Especially when they have so many secrets to keep. But it'd be really great if someone took a pic of that kneeling scene and if the news made it to the front page.

Seiryu likes this.
  4. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

I may hate her, but she's good waifu material
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Nice detail, poor Doffy, his family is full of decent people that actually have a respect for life!

Seiryu likes this.
  5. bandurista24

Fifth Emperor
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I dont think a commoner like a photographer will be allowed in mary geoise. And i super duper highly doubt that having that picture taken and put in a newspaper will be done because it will be shame for the celestials. And i super duper mega ultra hyper doubt that sabo and the rev army would even change their heart after seeing just one celestial bowing.

Seiryu likes this.
  6. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I guess I gotta expand on the photographer. He's the "legendary" photographer that takes all the bounty photos. He's a high ranking worker for the government (works with the marines but not for them probably) if I remember correctly. The bombshell was that Oda gave him a second job under Morgan (his character design is so different from everyone else since he was designed 10+ years ago). His original role is working for the government so restricted access should not be an issue. We know that news of Reverie decisions gets published so someone has to cover it. Oda can have him go wherever he wants because he is legendary in his field.

7. Tony

The Lurking Legend
    Haoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

@Seiryu you're right about the photographer, he did appear in chapter 905 behind Morgan (you probably know but you didn't really state it as a fact in your posts, so this is to clear it up for people who didn't spot him). Though i don't remember him ever being called "Legendary" he does work for marines and now also for Big News Morgans, he calls Morgans "Mr. Editor" in the following screenshot, taking pictures of Shirahoshi:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, i guess it's possible for the kneeling Tenryuubito will become BIG NEWSSS but i also feel like the kneeling thing has already been used that way for Fujitora (as described in the first post) thus it wouldn't be very original. With so much going on i feel like there is currently not much room for that but of course that can change in just one chapter. Good observation though, it's hard to see that he's kneeling which also makes me think that Oda is not going to make a big deal about it. Otherwise he would have drawn it more clearly (but then again, he can do that next chapter as well). Lets wait and see!

Seiryu and Chaudfontaine like this.
  8. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

The "legendary" aspect is from the SBS. People wondered how someone was able to survive being around the most dangerous people in the world (this is especially true now that we have the Yonkou and other elite of the elite). The speed of battles was much slower back then, and it might have been before gear 2nd. Attach was a gag and like Buggy is more of a light-hearted role/character, but Oda has been expanding his role (vs. most minor people just staying as a part of the SBS).

Tony likes this.