1. OPF's 2nd One Piece Character Popularity Poll has arrived! Vote NOW!
  2. Participate in the OPForum's Secret Santa HERE!
  3. We have a NEW subforum for Dr. Stone! Check it out!
  4. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!
  5. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  6. Vote now for the Monthly PAW October 2019!

Binge-Reading vs. Waiting a Week/Month

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga General' started by Booker, Oct 28, 2019.

?

What do you prefer?

1. Binge-Reading/Watching

25.0%
  2. Waiting for Weekly/Monthly releases

75.0%
  1. Booker

Not A Member
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

The title pretty much explains what this is about: what do you prefer?

Binging a series in as few sessions as possible and taking it all in at once or do you prefer to wait while reading a series. Either because you have to, as it is a new series and there isn't everything avaiable yet, or because you are moderate enough not to binge your way through.

This came to mind as I'm currentely binge-catching up with a series.
    While it still is a fine read does it lack something. Further immersing yourself, thinking about what is going on and getting attached to characters feels harder, if you can just brush through, instead of having to take your time to look at things a little bit longer or reading over it twice, because you can't continue to read anyway. (Note that this is my personal take)
    It's easier for me to get attached to characters and getting to know them, if I'm forced to take it slower. More details come to my attention and the joy of reading it in general is a whole lot bigger. Maybe because you're kinda forced to take a different approach to it and have way more time to think about and process the things that happened in the latest installment.

Kia and Marco Polo like this.
  2. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

This is a surprisingly tough question. It’s easier to immerse yourself in a series when you binge it, and when you’re an anime only, the issue of forgetting what happens between seasons is mitigated. With smaller series, it’s a lot more fun to watch it all at once. It’s also much easier to collect thoughts about a series as well if you can watch it all in two or three sittings.

However, with more popular shonen series (eg One Piece), the weekly read is super exciting because you can share your excitement/hype/confusion with other people each and every week. While the wait is frustrating, a week passes by quickly enough that it doesn’t matter all that much. I find that the series I follow weekly are the ones that I’m most attached to as well.

Kia likes this.
  3. Kia

Kia
    Jimbabe
    Event Host Captain
    Expand Collapse

Yeah see.... this is difficult for me. I’m really a both kind of person. I’m all about the binge experience for the continuity and full flow of getting everything together. I also enjoy being able to discuss things with others so doing the week to week thing on current stuff is good. For me, I want/need to go back and binge series that I previously watched week by week in order to get a better feel for them. I think I’ll enjoy them even better the second time around without the interruptions. Mostly because that’s how I’ve always preferred my stories. I was one of those who was generally lucky enough to get introduced to anime and even my manga (go yaoi—I keep forgetting that I read those before I jumped into Haikyū thanks to Love Stage) was pretty much completed once I got to it so I didn’t have to wait for episodes to be released. My worst problem was the eternal, poorly timed flashbacks in Naruto/Shippuden. So yeah, I see the merits in both but, I’m not going to lie, I’m missing the days when I could just binge One Piece. I’m sort of thinking that I’ll go rewatch WCI. Then that’ll give Wano some time to do it’s thing. Or maybe I need to reread a bunch of chapters as well to get my good examination on. That’s the real issue. Well they both are. I have been too busy exploring other anime and going out having a life thus haven’t given Luffy his attention. So I’m going to need to fix that.

Back OT: there’s merits to the anticipation-shared experience route. There’s merits to the continuity route. Then there’s the combination of the two. Sometimes you discover new things that way and can revisit the discussions.

4. Chaudfontaine

Rudolfontaine
    Super Moderator Member of the Year 2017
    Expand Collapse

I love to completly lose time and myself in a story. I hate cliffhangers and i want to see the progression of the story.
    It is true that some things need time (like charachter names, i forgot these after a few weeks if i do not refresh my memory each week/month) but i feel that doesn't do unjustice to my experience on the story.

I wait weekly for series for the people. Not for the story itself, i hate it that i have to wait, but i love the interaction it causes. Readers grouping togheter, making theories, discussion and whatever. To read on topic while waiting for the chapter.

So on a personal level: binge
    On a forum/social level: weekly

(The same you see with netflix series vs game of thrones for example: the hype gets bigger when you have wait)

5. Sprasle

Still Best Mod
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

In most cases I'd say binging is better. Everything is fresh, you always remember everything, don't lose sight of what's happening, etc. However, lately I've been bingeing way less because of its time-consuming nature, and right now I'm usually pretty busy. I'm also finding it hard to be interested enough to keep watching or reading for long periods of time, sometimes even 20 minutes can feel exhausting. And for the people who don't struggle with bingeing, it can be dangerous as it's easy for them to lose track of time and waste too much of it.

Waiting for scheduled releases trades all the positives of bingeing for some time to breathe. Sometimes you might misremember things or lose excitement while waiting for the next release, but it makes it easier to find time and will to keep up with the story as it continues. It's even better for long-running series like "One Piece" because it allows people to have interesting discussions and come un with theories, which is something that wouldn't happen if the whole story came out at once for people to binge.