1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

BLACK CLOVER (TV)

Discussion in 'Anime Series' started by JORMUNGAND, Oct 8, 2017.

1. JORMUNGAND

Expand Collapse

#1 JORMUNGAND, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Type:
    TV Series
    Genre:
    Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Magic, Shounen
    Studios:
    Studio Pierrot
    Date aired:
    Oct 03, 2017 to ?
    Airing

Asta and Yuno were abandoned together at the same church and have been inseparable since. As children, they promised that they would compete against each other to see who would become the next Emperor Magus. However, as they grew up, some differences between them became plain. Yuno was a genius with magic, with amazing power and control, while Asta could not use magic at all, and tried to make up for his lack by training physically. When they received their Grimoires at age 15, Yuno got a spectacular book with a four-leaf clover (most people receive a three-leaf-clover), while Asta received nothing at all. However, when Yuno was threatened, the truth about Asta's power was revealed, he received a five-leaf clover Grimoire, a "black clover"! Now the two friends are heading out in the world, both seeking the same goal!

Origin: Manga

ZakNik and menma like this.
  2. JORMUNGAND

Expand Collapse

So you see i'm currently reading the manga and i'm in love with it.
    Thats why im gonna start following this anime but should i say that i'm disappointed yes i am, why because Asta voice in the first ep in the anime was hella annoying( Why didn't they just keep the one from the ova? i couldn't even stand the first ep.

3. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

In all honesty, and I will argue if necessary:

I think it’s shit.

4. JORMUNGAND

Expand Collapse

huh the first ep. was but don't hate on the manga bruh

5. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I meant that too from the manga’s perspective.

6. JORMUNGAND

Expand Collapse

the manga's cool right but the anime is pure trash
    the only thing i liked was the ova!

7. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yeah...how is the manga cool with a horrible main character and story? I find Asta to be instantly unlikeable. Even Natsu from Fairy Tail is better than him.

8. JORMUNGAND

Expand Collapse

#8 JORMUNGAND, Oct 8, 2017
    Dude the fuck. now you're hating on Natsu #both asta and natsu are cool
    # you need to look at the big picture, black clover is full of amazing characters and the storyline is awesome plus the design is mind blowing.
    Why do you hate it so much?

9. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#9 Glaze D. Bacon, Oct 8, 2017
    I’ve been reluctantly reading the manga since the beginning, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve cringed at what I’ve read.

Black Clover fills in a bunch of tropes that make it another generic series. For example, Asta can’t use magic, Asta acquires a strong ability in just the first chapter, Asta’s goal is to become the Wizard King, Asta and his opponent scream each other’s names, etc. There’s nothing new to enjoy in this series since we’ve already seen the same stuff over the years with different serials. Whether Tabata sucks at story writing or he’s just trying to be funny, it’s crystal clear for dedicated manga fans to find out where he’s going wrong. If this was written in the 80s or 90s, then sure, most of the stuff we would see here would be acceptable with its take on “comedy” and content. But now, it’s really an embarrassing work of fiction in the shonen demographic. How can Tabata hope to be on par with the greats like Oda and Togashi with what he’s got? The whole thing is basically a cliché-fest.

Then we have the design aspect. The only good thing about the series is Tabata’s artistic talent. But sadly, that can’t help this manga get any better. Most of the characters he designs have a really bland appearance; only a few, like Magna and Yami, look pretty good. But Tabata’s character designs are nowhere close to what other mangaka have, especially Oda. HE makes it look easy, but there’s a ton of thought that gets put into it. Tabata’s characters just seem forced, somewhat. Maybe it’s because his art style gets in the way, or it’s the way they look/their personality, or even their abilities? Who knows, but there’s a fine line in talent between him and other mangaka who still write today. Yuno and Asta is just another “Sasuke and Naruto” pairing; they’re literally the same people. Asta is hard to love as a character because of his incoherent screaming, his forced comedy, and his dumb lines; he's the embodiment of an overused joke. And one more thing: there’s a guy who literally wants to make out with his own sister in the series. Just...why?

I don’t understand how Black Clover can be in the same magazine as One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, and My Hero Academia. If Tabata can get away with a series like that, maybe I can, too.

Twelve likes this.
  10. menma

Uncle
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

How exactly is the main character and story horrible?

Is it because it's mainstream? because then almost every Shonen mangas is shit, the world in black clover is in my opinion amazing, if the story could have been made better of course it could.

I understand why you don't like it, Black clover is a manga you even like or hate, but calling it horrible is a bit too far in my opinion,
    It's not a horrible story or main character, it's just a story that resembles rest of the shones fantasy, fighting types.

To put it blunt, Asta is just like Luffy, Naruto and a lot of main characters like that, he wants to be the strongest in his field, he lives on the so called friendship power like most other main characters does in shonens.

JORMUNGAND likes this.
  11. menma

Uncle
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Pretty simple. Weekly shonen jump is targeting people at the age from the starts of their teens years, that's why it can be in that magazine, the only reason people in my opinion think that OP or HxH is so much better is because the serials came out long time ago.
    If you look at the facts OP is also a mainstream Shonen,

JORMUNGAND likes this.
  12. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

The way Black Clover’s story is handled makes it seem like a children’s book rather than a shonen. The Promised Neverland started not too long after Black Clover, and it handles its story beautifully, mostly in the fact that it breaks away from what the reader expects of an adventure manga and gives us something new. Manga that aren’t mainstream are usually well-written and underrated, but there are a few exceptions when they aren’t.

13. menma

Uncle
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I don't disagree with you that Black clover's story looks like something we've seen before, i think that's in plain sight for everyone that just took their time to read atleast two chapters.

Also it copies alot from previous works from other authors indeed, as i said even you like black clover or you hate it.

In my opinion it isn't a horrible manga, it's just an mainstream manga that follow the flow of Naruto and other adventure mangas that came out many years before.
    The Promised Neverland is a good manga indeed but it is two different types of mangas and can't be compared in my opinion.
    Black clover can be compared with the likes of Fairy tail and Naruto, while i have to agree it is really simular to those 2 mangas it still has its unique base as a singular story that makes it its own in my opinion.

Also the Magazine is reaching out to age from 12 to 18 i think i read, so yes there will be more "child like" mangas in the magazine and there will be more mature mangas like The promised neverland,

JORMUNGAND likes this.
  14. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Indeed, Black Clover's analogous nature will be its bane. I don't get how people can like it and I won't try to get in the way of their hype, but I will stand my ground and defend my opinion.

15. sweetjacky

Purrrrple Kitty
    Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I watched the first episode and it was alright, the animation is nice. Asta's voice was a bit annoying at first but I got used to it.

I'm fell pretty far behind with the manga and don't have much motivation to catch up because I don't hear many good things about it lately but I'm giving the anime a try now since I wanted to watch it animated since a long time.

JORMUNGAND likes this.
  16. JORMUNGAND

Expand Collapse

Well good for you.... I don't get why people hate it? well i think i kind of get it. , i mean it's just as you said the series is very generic in any sort of the word., sure it might be another Naruto ripoff.. But don't compare asta and naruto. asta seems more mature wise than naruto was in the first installment of naruto, just saying, but isn't those little differences that make black clover stand out out more? and sure asta can be annoying sometimes, but have you ever seen a MC that was never annoying time to time? no right? and sure black clover can seem like a ripoff of a lot other series but that's what gives it its name. the comedy is onpoint and the fighting scenes is awesome too. and while asta is underestimated from the character's pov. you got to admit he is strong.
    tabata and oda can't be compared, oda is just that great of a guy. but it's a very great good series overall

17. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#17 Glaze D. Bacon, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    How can I compare Asta to anyone else when he’s clearly supposed to be a carbon copy of Naruto? The kid doesn’t “seem more mature”; if anything, all he’s done was yell his way to victory, and his only “cool” moments are rare and very short-lived. Black Clover can’t stand out with those things, which leads most people to appreciate Naruto more since the latter is a “well-written mainstream shonen”.
    Yeah, I never heard of Jotaro Kujo, Kenshin Himura, Spike Spiegel, Yusuke Urameshi, Lelouch, and Saitama.
    :lol:

18. ZakNik

Legendary God of Speed
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

first episode is amazing....I like this anime so much...Nun proposal was awesome

Badazz D Zoro and JORMUNGAND like this.
  19. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I also watched the first episode and because of a lot of people say the manga is good i'm willing to overlook asta's voice. I'm fairly interessted in the a few aspects of the first episode. certainly the real physical combat sword astra got instead of the wide range magic like yuno and others. Probably we will encounter others of that kind but i found it a nice touch and more fitting for astra.

JORMUNGAND likes this.
  20. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Hmm. I just want to say that i like this manga.
    But i do know that it's shitty. It could have been a better one, the black clover universe is really interesting but sadly it turned out more generic than i thought. But hey, if you're an avid manga reader, they don't mean shit.
    Peace!

JORMUNGAND likes this.