1. OPF's 2nd One Piece Character Popularity Poll has arrived! Vote NOW!
  2. Participate in the OPForum's Secret Santa HERE!
  3. Vote now for the Monthly PAW November 2019!
  4. We have a NEW subforum for Dr. Stone! Check it out!
  5. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Carole & Tuesday

Discussion in 'Anime Series' started by Marco Polo, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

#1 Marco Polo, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    candtues.jpg

Carole & Tuesday
    キャロル&チューズデイ

Synopsis

Fifty years have passed since mankind began migrating to the new frontier: Mars. It's an age where most culture is produced by AI, and people are content to be passive consumers.
    There's a girl. Scrapping a living in the metropolis of Alba City, she's working part time while trying to become a musician. She's always felt like something is missing. Her name is Carole.

There's a girl. Born to a wealthy family in the provincial town of Herschel City, she dreams of becoming a musician, but nobody around her understands. She feels like the loneliest person in the world. Her name is Tuesday.

A chance meeting brings them together. They want to sing. They want to make music. Together, they feel like they just might have a chance. The two of them may only create a tiny wave. But that wave will eventually grow into something larger...

(Source: Official page)

Information

Type: TV
    Episodes: 24
    Aired: Apr 11, 2019 to ?
    Premiered: Spring 2019
    Broadcast: Thursdays at 00:55 (JST)
    Producers: Fuji TV, flying DOG, BS Fuji, Hakuhodo DY Music & Pictures,Hakuhodo DY Media Partners
    Licensors: None found, add some
    Studios: Bones
    Source: Original
    Genres: Sci-Fi, Music, Drama, Romance
    Duration: Unknown
    Rating: None

Kia likes this.
  2. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Expand Collapse

I've only seen Episode 1 so far, but it has very strong Cowboy Bebop vibes in its art/scenery etc, which is to be expected since this is a Watanabe project. The girls' first jam session felt like a first jam session as well - I'm really glad they didn't just "magically connect" the moment they started playing together and that they were seemingly getting used to each other's playing styles etc as it adds that extra bit of "authenticity" from a musician's standpoint.

Also, the Instagram account in the series is posting in "real time", which I think is a nice touch.

Recommending this to:

@Yumavo Cado @Seiryu @Grin @Chaudfontaine @servo - I know all of you are Bebop fans (I'm also recommending this to all Bebop fans that I don't know, lol)

servo and Seiryu like this.
  3. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I'll have to give the manga a try at least. Thanks for the suggestion @Marco Polo!

Marco Polo likes this.
  4. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Expand Collapse

I think it’s an anime original series

5. Chaudfontaine

Rudolfontaine
    Super Moderator Member of the Year 2017
    Expand Collapse

Music anime, i would love to make time for that!

6. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

#6 Seiryu, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Yea...I figured that out really quick...

But.....HOLY SGKJWPRGSKLBVSDVISIGHS"F!!! That is some major talent on whoever the seiyuu (voice actors) are. The fluency of English almost makes me think they have someone separate for the vocals, but if they are the same seiyuu for everything, god damn the Japanese music industry is in very capable hands.

I only watched episode 1 too (looks like there are 3 episodes out right now), but I was initially shocked they actually got Gibson to sign off on the anime (that is until I heard the singing). Eventually I think I'll get around to reading through the closing credits about the seiyuu, but I am dumbstruck, so definitely thanks a bunch for the recommendation @Marco Polo.

One weird thing for me (I'll keep all spoilers out until others get a chance to watch), it felt awkward to have "Jet" be a goof. I think this is the only voice that I recognized from Cowboy Bebop (the guy must be elderly for his voice to have distinct changes to it). I'm also not a fan of the computer generated model that gets programmed to move (I think it was only Tuesday during the music part). I know the recent Berserk animation does this, and I couldn't watch it...so maybe I'm just scarred and biased from that.

For some reason I am completely brain-farting on the fellow music enthusiasts so I'll have to go back to one of the BGM threads and tag people to check this out later.

Edit: unless the search cannot pick up "BGM", I can't find the thread/threads...oh well. Off of memory: @Edinbour @Kia @Storm chaser
    This series might be worth the watch for the music alone (it is for me).

Marco Polo and Kia like this.
  7. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Expand Collapse

@Seiryu try “OST” or “Soundtrack as a search term

PS - glad you enjoyed it!

Seiryu likes this.
  8. Kia

Kia
    wicked weeby witch
    Event Host Captain
    Expand Collapse

I’m already watching it, thanks though @Seiryu. I’m all caught up. I’ve been planning to cosplay Carole since episode 1 lol. I’m loving it! You guys need to catch up so we can talk about it because
    Roddy’s face when they called him a pervert for the secret video though lol. What the actual f*ck is going on with that AI producer/manager guy? He’s so inhuman it’s bizarre. How awesome was it that Tuesday was the one to flip out on Mr. DJ? I totally expected it to be Carole and am glad that it wasn’t! The complete and utter patronizing, misogynistic drivel that came out of his mouth and oozed from him made me wanna punch him. Being bisexual doesn’t change that about him. Ugh. Can’t wait til he gets put in his place. Okay. I’ll stop now.
    ^_^

PS the tag didn’t alert me by the way. I wonder how many others I’ve missed.

Seiryu likes this.
  9. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

It wasn't the OST thread (I looked through it anyway). Thanks though. Doesn't matter potentially because tags aren't working for me either (they seem 50-50 on getting a notification).
    Haha...well I guess I'll watch the other two episodes while cooking/eating to discuss. If the plot design/flow is similar to Bebop, I think I kind of got the gist of the series, and I'm liking the 3 main parts established from episode one.
    Yea, I thought it was just me so now we got another thing to add to our mod list...

Marco Polo and Kia like this.
  10. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Crap, was going to just edit to avoid a double post, but since tags aren't working, I think I have to make a new post for anyone past episode one.
    Yup, Roddy is an interesting character that seems like he isn't going to play a big role once the plot really gets rolling.

The AI/model girl/rich mother all seem like the "competition" to C&T. The line that gives it away is when he talks about how his AI can create the perfect hit through analyzing patterns of previous artists/sound patterns (somewhat true but individuality/a unique style has to be a part and that will be missing, which is what C&T excel at). It seems like the main plot is seeing the polar opposites (model girl already being the hottest thing in pop culture vs. absolute no bodies) progress on their paths and then have some sort of "clash". The fact that she cannot sing for crap (and needs to be "auto-tuned" by the AI) is the giveaway for me. My ears cringed and I had to skip the scene of her out of tune singing.

Yea, Tuesday flipping out seemed contradictory to her implied character, but makes sense since she ran away from home (she's excessively passionate about meaningful things). Wait...was the DJ bisexual? Either way, it seems like a perfect ending if DJ donkey ends up tag teaming with model girl on some sort of project/tour and get their limelight stolen by C&T.

I'm actually most curious about Tuesday's mother. This is the biggest X-factor in the series. Is she going to try to shut Tuesday down? Is there going to be political crap/chaos introduced into the series? Tuesday will have to stand up to her mother eventually, so whenever this happens, it is going to be a huge point in the series.

11. Kia

Kia
    wicked weeby witch
    Event Host Captain
    Expand Collapse

Yes, Angela, etc are obviously being set up as the competition. I just was commenting on the personality quirks of the producer guy. The DJ’s sexuality came out when he was first introduced and speaking with Roddy about how the latter named his AI and “she” had a crush on him. The producer said too bad because his love was reserved for men and extraordinary women. He’s such a prat. I can’t wait until he gets his comeuppance. The Clash of the Titans feel with Carole’s AI pet owl is really right up my alley too. But I wouldn’t necessarily say Angela is a Medusa figure if C&T are supposed to be Perseus. Hmm I dunno where my mind just went, it’s early and I’ve just gone on a weird tangent. Ignore me lol.

Seiryu likes this.
  12. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Ah, completely forgot about his conversation with Roddy in the beginning. I know what irritates me most about him now: he is fake and just puts on a grand facade. We have slight differences on what irks us most about him, but he's definitely a perfect antagonist for the series.

I don't follow/know all the details about Greek mythology, but I think I know enough that the analogy fits (at least to what I expect to happen in the series). To throw in a biblical twist to it: C&T are definitely at a David level of notoriety, but work their way up to be at a Goliath level for the "Clash of the Titans".

AI pets are a good tangent. I'm a fan of Carole's owl too. Considering how much air time he/she gets to just be half asleep, there has to be some important role much later (like Ein in Cowboy Bebop). Right now he/she is nothing more than an alarm clock (the voice for the alarm could just be an app voice rather than his/her voice).

Kia likes this.
  13. Kia

Kia
    wicked weeby witch
    Event Host Captain
    Expand Collapse

Don’t get me wrong, everything about that DJ irks me. Yeah, I adore that little owl. I’m sure it’s going to be important because, as you say, he definitely has a lot of air time. He’ll likely assist in some way or another. Roddy will do something as well, methinks. Just having basically been a “double agent” will be an issue when the DJ officially becomes competition for them. Or maybe not. I mean he’s the one who essentially discovered them so to completely fall out of the picture would be odd. He’ll have to make a choice. As much as he’s personified his AI, I think he’s been missing that true human touch and will choose it in the end. Just my hunch that he’s the type who really doesn’t wanna be with DJ dipshit and is in it for love of music so will follow the feelings.

Seiryu likes this.
  14. servo

Helmsman
    Expand Collapse

Greatly appreciated , I'll give it a try in free time ....

Kia and Marco Polo like this.
  15. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

So I finally got around to watching (rather than just listening) to the opening/closing and there are completely different people for the songs (and the anime seiyuu). It is interesting because both Carol and Tuesday are based on the real life performers (Nai Br.XX is Carol and Celeina Ann is Tuesday). Tuesday isn't a blonde in real life, but that's the Japanese stereotype for Caucasians. Based on my minimal searching, one if not both have had previous collaborations with Japanese DJs so maybe that's where the inspiration came from.

Here's some links for them.
    Nai Br.XX's youtube page:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgzeZBN3EDta5Sk9iRBuF0Q
    Celeina Ann's official page:
    http://celeinaann.com/

Oh no no no. We both completely hate him, which is what makes him the perfect antagonist for the series. However, in my mind anyone that is not fair/mutually respectful of people is unfortunately the norm. There's a lot of people that way, so that isn't "memorable" or "distinguishing". I remember him for being a "fake". He may end up being so shallow/empty that that is his true nature/self, but there's a few scenes implying this isn't the case.

Yup, I 100% agree on Roddy. I'm thinking they are having Roddy represent the society as a whole in the sense that everyone will enjoy the "real" music, but they are too caught up with the rat race, technology, and the politics (where Tuesday's mom comes in).

I am a little surprised the plan is to have them "fail" and blow off DJ donkey, but we both liked the character development from it. I have to think Roddy sticks with his current job until C&T are legitimate and provide financial stability. That's when he switches over from a commitment standpoint.

Kia likes this.
  16. Kia

Kia
    wicked weeby witch
    Event Host Captain
    Expand Collapse

Well as you can see, Giggy clearly is more than an alarm clock in that he’s intelligent enough to notice the uselessness of IDEA from the getgo and be skeptical of him. Also, Roddy’s connections to DJ dipshit came in handy for the video such as it was so I’m sure they’re going to keep milking that angle for a while to come. After all, he’s the AI guru so the DJ (I could look up his name but have decided he’s not worthy of naming because he’s an ass—I can pronounce it but not spell it) would be lost without Roddy to manipulate and maintain the machines for him. Thanks for the links. I’ll check them out in a bit. ^_^

As far as Tuesday’s family goes, the brother is also an intriguing character in that he seems to be genuinely concerned for her safety and not just the family image (as mom is) while still wanting to please his mother so being trapped by familial bonds and roles. I’m looking forward to that playing out as well.

Seiryu likes this.
  17. Chaudfontaine

Rudolfontaine
    Super Moderator Member of the Year 2017
    Expand Collapse

just watched episode 1. holy smizzle the comfyness. cool that they sing in English too.
    i'm SOLD.

Marco Polo, Seiryu and Kia like this.
  18. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Yup, 100% agree. It was actually kind of cute/funny that the owl AI played along with the fraudulent AI (my mind jumped more to a gospel/musical reply and answer with the whole: let me hear you say 'whoo'...'whoo'). Other AI can talk, so hopefully our owl friend gets a software update.

I like "DJ Donkey". That's my nickname for him. DJ Dip-shit seems much more appropriate but I try not to swear. But yea, it's perfect comedic relief to see him at a loss. Although to be objective, he isn't 100% crap. He legitimately befriended the firefighter (I do not think that was a fake smile for social media). I am thinking C&T's major performance changes him too.

Ah, almost forgot about the brother. Yup, it's only the mother that is corrupted by her job (and to be fair, she is damn important). It seems like the whole theme of the series is "saving" people through music. Speaking of which, it was nice to have C&T have a role model through what's-his-name's ex. It was only one scene of them admiring her, but it seemed perfect since they are taking a complete leap of faith.
    Haha, nice! Post here when you watch an episode so we can discuss.

19. Kia

Kia
    wicked weeby witch
    Event Host Captain
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I did appreciate the fact that he bonded with the firefighter and that he couldn’t resist Roddy. After all, no one is 100% bad. I swear like a sailor but we’ll go with DJ Donkey for your sensibilities. I’m fine with that, this is a family friendly forum, after all. ^_^ Thanks for bringing up the ex-wife. I really liked her character! All of her scenes were gold. Did C&T blush when they kissed because it was PDA, same-sex, it made them think of each other? Hmmm? Just things about which I wonder. The call and response thing is definitely musical but no gospel I’ve heard incorporates that specific call and response. Music was the best part of church—just saying. Makes since considering song and dance began as worship. ^_^

A software update would be nice for Giggy. I’m guessing Roddy has something to do with this being the AI guy.

Seiryu likes this.
  20. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

#20 Seiryu, May 7, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2019
    Haha..I used to have a "f'in potty mouth" but I've had to stop that once I opened my own practice. You know that Hawaii's way too small so you run into people you know in random places.

C&T were taken aback, but they blushed when she asked them if they were single and if she wanted her to find them a boyfriend or girlfriend.

Wait...didn't the "call and response" originate in black churches? There's debate on who started it, but that's where it entered the music industry.

His name's Giggy? That's awesome. I'm terrible with names but that's cute and fitting.