1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Could Blackbeard be Luffy's uncle???

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Korikaze, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Korikaze

Expand Collapse

I have another possible BlackBeard speculation: That BlackBeard is Luffy's blood uncle on his mother's side. It would explain why BlackBeard respects and seem so interested in Luffy. If Luffy's mother's brother was Marshall D. Teach then she would be a Marshall D. as well. Likely she would be attracted to other men with the "will of D." Luffy's mother being Blackbeard's sis would explain why he has a beef with Dragon the guy who knocked up his sister and took her child to give to his father Garp. When you think about it, seem like Garp was hiding Luffy as a child the same way he did Ace which I would elaborate on further.

Let's say Blackbeard had a sister, a twin sister who was more infamous than him. For someone like Dragon to love a woman and give her a child, she had to be one remarkable woman/pirate. I have two subtheories I will briefly comment on about the possibility.

One theory is Luffy's mother was taken by the World Government and nobles. That would explain why Dragon formed the Revolutionary Army to opposed the World Government. Many men has gone to war over a woman. Let's not forget our good friend Obito. If I had to guess, Dragon was once a respected member of the Navy and was on a fast track to be the next Fleet Admiral. Dragon's world knowledge and militant expertise would support that theory. It's also strange how little is said about Dragon or even done about him. Somehow the World Government got Luffy's mom, maybe by using Dragon as bait. To make the theory even more interesting, let's say Luffy's mom was a crew member on Gol D. Roger's ship. One of the top members, a founding members. She would be above Shanks but below in rank of Rayleigh. What if as a little girl, Luffy's mom gave Gol D. Roger the Straw hat. Let's say that she had a dream of being the Queen of the Pirates, following the death of Roger. She wanted to follow Roger's path again to obtain the One Piece and reveal the truth about the world to all thus becoming Queen of the World! If she made a bold declaration like that she would be the most wanted pirate in the World. Such a bold characteristic is similar to Luffy. Assuming Blackbeard is Luffy's mom's little brother, he would be behind his sister becoming the Queen of the Pirates/Queen of the World. But as I mentioned earlier with this sub theory, that would have been ruined if she was captured by the world Government. To be honest, she could be one of the ancient weapons which would explain why Luffy can somewhat hear voices of sea kings. Perhaps if she was on Roger's ship it would explain why he was able to travel the World seemingly easily. It would explain the cut scene we have seen where Roger heard the voices of the Sea Kings but didn't know where they were coming from. If she was an ancient weapon then she would be able to communicate with them, call them when needed, and they would help guide her which means she likely would have been Roger's navigator.

Then if we think about Blackbeard showing up at Impel Down. What if he was not looking for crew members but looking for his sister? I wouldn't put it past Blackbeard to capture Ace to give to the government in order to cause a distraction with the Whitebeard Pirates trying to rescue Ace. Maybe he found his sister in Impel down and absorbed her which is the second sub-theory which user Seriyu has discussed that unique ability. In the opening song for the Dressrosa Arc I thought it was strange that a cut scene came up with Blackbeard asking Luffy to come into the darkness. Of course that is not part of the actual story but it may give us a glimmer of what is Blackbeard's real motives are for Luke, I mean Luffy, which is to join the dark side with Blackbeard and his sister, Luffy's mother.

Another small theory is Luffy's mother was killed or believed to be killed in action, maybe fleeing from Dragon or trying to get Luffy back from Dragon. That would explain Blackbeard's beef with Dragon too but if he got her caught by the World Government that would be enough to still piss him off.

Garp kept Luffy's mother ID a secret the same reason he kept other's from knowing Dragon was his father because she is likely extremely dangerous. If Luffy's mother was as famous as a pirate as Gold Roger then Luffy's life would have been in danger just like Ace's life was in danger as an infant. If anyone knew that Luffy was related to Blackbeard it would only gain him more enemies and it would made Ace have a slight indifference towards Luffy.

Until I see Blackbeard cause real personal harm to Luffy and he definitely can with his powers, I have to believe they are related. In Impel Down, Blackbeard actually helped Luffy. True they did have a small altercation in Impel Down and Blackbeard stated he originally was going to capture Luffy to get his place in the World Government but went with capturing Ace instead, that could have been just a lie to keep Luffy from knowing his real motives and to anger him. Before capturing Ace, Blackbeard told Ace he was going to capture Luffy to give to the government but could have been just to entice Ace to loose his cool making him fight angry not smart and I suspect that the more you fight with anger or darkness, the less effective you are against Teach. Blackbeard would have a vendetta against Ace for his relationship with Whitebeard and being the son of Gold Roger, who if his sister was in his crew, death lead to her unfortunate undoing. If they are related, it is also possible Blackbeard took out White Beard for Luffy. It would explain why Blackbeard thought it was too early for Luffy to call himself a Yonko because the plan was for Blackbeard to allow Luffy to "defeat" him to become a Yonko. Blackbeard didn't become active until he first met Luffy. He was a nameless pirate that seemed to have a lot of knowledge. Maybe that was the signal it was time for him to help his nephew fulfill what goals he may have. When he heard that Luffy was interested in the One Piece, he probably had to hold back the joy of knowing his sister's will lives on in her son.

In the future, I see Black Beard helping Luffy take out Kaido and dealing with any further threat from Big Mom. Shanks appears to fear Black Beard and will not stand in the way of letting Luffy become the King of the Pirates. I would think Shanks know the true relationship as well. Could explain why BlackBeard gave him the scar over his eye. Know who Luffy was meant that Shanks could not let Luffy die, out of respect for Luffy's mother who could have been one of Gold Roger's crew and out of fear of her brother, Marshall D. Teach who would have killed Shanks if Luffy would have died then.

Jawahib and Marco Polo like this.
  2. Admiral Ryokugyu

f(b/{gj/mj|{
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

There are so many flaws in this. You said Blackbeard respects Luffy. How ?

You said Blackbeard has a beef with Dragon. How ? Blackbeard Pirates only attacked Baltigo because Burgess arrived there by chance and they took the opportunity to steal a huge amount of weapons.

3. Kevz

Yuuzume’s little brother
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I like how you thought of the threoy but that would be messed up luffy’s “uncle” led to aces deaths hope it’s not true but it’s good!

4. Monkey D. Ruffy

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

This theory has so many if’s and lets say. It makes no sense really. I’m sorry but I don’t see any of that happening

Johannes likes this.
  5. Johannes

Expand Collapse

couldn't agree more! a theory with many sub theories...

6. Finalbeta

Expand Collapse

Yeah it looks too difficult for it to be true. It would be a crazy scenario anyway!

7. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I don't think I've seen this Blackbeard theory before, thank you for bringing something new to the table
    That being said, there's a few holes in this theory:

As @Admiral Ryokugyu said, Blackbeard didn't have any beef with Dragon, his invasion of Baltigo was primarily to get Burgess out safely, the other stuff he did while he was there was because he's Blackbeard and he likes to cause trouble whenever he can

Was he? We really don't know any of the circumstances surrounding Luffy's birth so it's hard to say. As far as we know, Luffy was born in Foosha Village, and he stayed there until he left on his journey way back in Chapter 1. Also, Garp revealed that Dragon was Luffy's father in a fairly nonchalant way - if it were that important, he wouldn't just tell him about it in front of everyone

Reading through this, there's a few pretty major issues when it comes to the age of Luffy's mother. Before you got into theory 1, you said this:

This would make Luffy's mother 40 years old in the current timeline (as Blackbeard is 40 according to the wiki)

This would mean she was 18 at the time of Roger's execution - only a year older than Shanks. Now, when the Straw Hats first met Rayleigh, Brook mentioned that he'd "heard of a rookie" that went by the name "Roger" - this would have taken place well over 50 years before the current timeline. Meaning that she would have to have been around -12 years old when she helped Roger found the Roger Pirates. And if she's giving the Straw Hat to Roger, she'd have to be even younger, since we see Roger with a Straw Hat on when he meets Rayleigh.. That clip also suggests that Roger and Rayleigh were the two founding members of the Roger Pirates, and there's no suggestion that there's a third member present. There's also no indication that Roger had a woman on his crew at all - none of the Roger-based flashbacks that I can remember show a woman in the crew.

If she were on Roger's crew, she'd already know what One Piece is? She wouldn't need to re-do the journey since she'd already have the answers.

• Her being an ancient weapon likely wouldn't explain Luffy's ability to hear Sea Kings, since Poseidon is the weapon that can communicate with them. Why would there be a separate ancient weapon that only does half the job of Poseidon?
    • Roger likely had the Voice of All Things, much like Luffy and Momonosuke have. Luffy's mother being able to hear Sea Kings and Roger being able to are unrelated.
    I mentioned it earlier, but Garp did a pretty shoddy job at keeping the Dragon thing secret - after Marineford, it became public knowledge. You do sort of have a point about the mother, though.

The Whitebeard factor is non-existent, since Blackbeard spent a long time on his ship. To me, his targeting of Whitebeard was purely to make a point to the world that he was strong, rather than a personal issue. Blackbeard took out Whitebeard for himself, not anyone else.

Wasn't Ace already hunting down Blackbeard when we first met him? Blackbeard only became active after he managed to find the Devil Fruit he needed for his plan - Luffy isn't a factor in that.

Also, the reason it's too early for Luffy to call himself a Yonko is mainly because he hasn't actually defeated one yet. He also doesn't have territory - Fishman Island is still technically Big Mom's turf since we haven't seen them raise the Straw Hat flag there.

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us, hopefully we'll see more theories from you soon!

8. Jawahib

Both Exotic and Professor
    Busoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Oiya what's with all the hate on this theory? Of course it's unlikely, but theories don't get points for likelihood. A 100% likely theory is yet to exist, so why use it as a metric? Theories' value imo comes from creativity and delivery, as long as they haven't been rendered impossible by the story. And this is pretty creative as far as it goes. Do I believe there's a whelk's chance in a supernova of it being true? Hell no.

But this was entertaining, fresh, easy to follow, and had a simple premise, so I rate it pretty well as far as theories go.

I mean I'd only dissect a theory in the way @Marco Polo has if the theorist claims that they think it's true and are ready to defend against arguments to the contrary, which inspires some fun debate. But the tone of this one is "hey guys this is an idea I had and how I think it could be maintained and incorporated into the current story of One Piece". It's not, as so many theories are (some of my own included), "OK so I think Blackbeard being Luffy's uncle is the best explanation for all the events we've seen so far about their interactions and here's the proof", just a dude having fun exploring an idea.

I mean, yes the OP has said "unless ... I have to believe they are related", but I think even they have some self-awareness of how many "if"s and "I guess"es and sub-theories are needed to sustain it given the tentative tone - hell even the title is a question - so I'd treat that statement as separate to the rest of the theory and say "OK but probs not" in response. If nothing else, it's an interesting idea that's been well-elaborated on.

9. Johannes

Expand Collapse

Isn't Fishman Island the Straw Hats turf (territory) already! As King Neptune declare Fishman Island under the Straw Hats' protection.

Source: Chapter 903 - The Fifth Emperor

10. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I would like to clarify that I didn’t dislike this theory, I actually enjoyed reading it

But there are aspects in there that the author has mentioned that don’t line up with what we’ve seen from the manga, and there are points where the thread of logic goes back on itself, which impacts the delivery a little in places

I’m hoping my nitpicking (and everyone else’s) gives the writer some more stuff to think about while he explores this idea - which is super refreshing, as well as being very unique: a rarity when it comes to Blackbeard theories, which all seem to surround his Devil Fruit and/or his body.

I’d love to see this developed into a fully fledged theory, because there’s some really promising stuff in this brainstorm

Not until there’s a Straw Hat flag flying there - if Big Mom’s flag is still there, it’s still her turf. It’s only a matter of time - maybe the flag Bellamy’s making in the cover story is being sent to Fishman Island?

Hey, I have a theory to write now

Jawahib likes this.
  11. Johannes

Expand Collapse

Yup! It really is a matter of time will just have to see, that would be cool of Bellamy if that where the case!