1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Could Dr. Vegapunk be Usopp's grandfather?

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Dreamer, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Dreamer

Expand Collapse

#1 Dreamer, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    I have thought about this theory for a while although I don't have concrete proof about its correctness.

Would it be possible that Dr. Vegapunk is Usopp's grandfather?

Because:
    • The word 'Vega' from Vegapunk's surname can refer to a star in the constellation Lyra and most of Usopp's attacks are star themed (Green Star, Fire Bird Star, Gunpowder Star, etc.). This may be Oda's way to hint about their relationship.
    • Both of them has skills to invent weapons. Vegapunk made Pacifistas and Usopp made Nami's Clima-Tact.
    • Both of them has knowledge about physics and know how to make use of it. Vegapunk is well-known from his inventions and Usopp kind of applied rocket science to shoot Bag Worm during the Dressrosa Arc.
    My theory is that Usopp doesn't speak about his relationship with Vegapunk because he doesn't know that Vegapunk would be his grandfather because Yasopp never told Usopp about it. As a child Yasopp lived normal life with his parents before Vegapunk's illegal researches were revealed to his family and he was arrested by the World Government. After this Yasopp and his mother moved to another island. Later Vegapunk was employed as Marine scientist but Yasopp and Vegapunk didn't see each other anymore because Marines were watching Vegapunk and Yasopp hadn't any way to contact with his father. When Vegapunk started to get reputation as a Marine scientist and his son started a family, Yasopp decided not to tell his wife or son about his relationship with Vegapunk because he was afraid that they will be targeted by the World Govenrment, pirates or some vengeful people who had been in trouble thanks to Vegapunk's work. Vegapunk in turn never heard that he has a grandson because of the lack of communication between father and son.

So, what do you guys think about this?

2. gboxrkw

Expand Collapse

Maybe or Maybe not but it would be nice if vegapunk turnsout to be a good guy.

Dreamer likes this.
  3. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

These seem rather far-out for similarities, so I would consider them coincidental. I wonder why a government scientist would be alright with his son and grandson becoming pirates...

4. Dreamer

Expand Collapse

Well, I was thinking that just like Garp, Vegapunk was too busy with his works and hadn't time to stop them in time. And who knows? Maybe Vegapunk isn't aware of his a grandson's existence? However, I understand your point.

5. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I just don’t see a relationship in family between Vegapunk and Yasopp. One of them’s a genius who grew up on Baldimore, the other’s a sharpshooter from Syrup Village who’s one of the strongest pirates out there. I mean, the same could be said about Garp and Dragon, but I don’t think another situation like that will happen again...

6. sweetjacky

Purrrrple Kitty
    Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I highly doubt that Usopp and Vegapunk are related.

He doesn't know Vegapunk otherwise he probably would have mentioned something to the crew, or at least to Franky. This already excludes your point that he named his attacks after Vega. We don't even know if that star exists in the One Piece world.

Usopp learning about botany was a coincidence because of the island he landed on when he was sent off by Kuma.

The invention skills and physics knowledge pretty much apply to Franky as well.

And saving their hometown is something a lot of people want to do, we've seen it a lot of other times, for example with Nami.

7. Dreamer

Expand Collapse

Well, when I pointed out about Vegapunk's surname and names of Usopp's attacks, I didn't mean that he named his attacks after Vegapunk. I just thought that it was Oda's way to give a hint about their relationship.

I know that things I listed in my theory are probably just coincidences but in my opinion there are too many of them so that those would be just coincidences.

But you are right about helping their hometown. I see now that it wasn't good idea to put it to the list.

8. Rika24

Expand Collapse

While I would love for Usopp to gain focus in the future (where are you Elbaf arc?), I highly doubt it would come from Vegapunk. If Usopp were to be related to anyone of importance outside of Yasopp I'd say it would be Noland since that's been foreshadowed with Usopp's lie, and scenes from the Jaya arc. Though there might be a possibility of the Tengu guy being a relative through Banchina due to the nose.

If Vegapunk has any relation to the Strawhats it would most likely be as Franky's father.

9. Dreamer

Expand Collapse

I understand your point of view but I myself has difficulties to believe that Usopp would be related to Noland because Cricket said that he was very honest man. And if Vegapunk would be Franky's father, wouldn't Franky had told about him before to other members of the crew? Unless the man Franky believed to be his biological father was actually his step-father. Well, we can only wait that Oda either confirm or disprove our theories.

10. Rika24

Expand Collapse

I always thought of Usopp's armband as a connection to Noland because of his pants design. Plus, Usopp's lies started after his mothers death, yet Usopp is humble when it comes to his actual accomplishments (helping save Syrup, he told Kaya and the kids not to tell anyone, when he saved Luffy and Traffy from Sugar he said not to say anything... And can't forget ennies lobby, Luffy still doesn't know that was Usopp).

I think Vegapunk is an alias, so Franky might not know