1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Cowboy Bebop (Anime)

Discussion in 'Anime Series' started by Marco Polo, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Couldn't find a thread for this in this section, surprisingly

Alternative Titles
    English: Cowboy Bebop
    Synonyms: COWBOY BEBOP
    Japanese: カウボーイビバップ

cowboyBbop.jpg

Synopsis

In the year 2071, humanity has colonized several of the planets and moons of the solar system leaving the now uninhabitable surface of planet Earth behind. The Inter Solar System Police attempts to keep peace in the galaxy, aided in part by outlaw bounty hunters, referred to as "Cowboys". The ragtag team aboard the spaceship Bebop are two such individuals.

Mellow and carefree Spike Spiegel is balanced by his boisterous, pragmatic partner Jet Black as the pair makes a living chasing bounties and collecting rewards. Thrown off course by the addition of new members that they meet in their travels—Ein, a genetically engineered, highly intelligent Welsh Corgi; femme fatale Faye Valentine, an enigmatic trickster with memory loss; and the strange computer whiz kid Edward Wong—the crew embarks on thrilling adventures that unravel each member's dark and mysterious past little by little.

Well-balanced with high density action and light-hearted comedy, Cowboy Bebop is a space Western classic and an homage to the smooth and improvised music it is named after.

[Written by MAL Rewrite]

Information
    Type: TV
    Episodes: 26
    Aired: Apr 3, 1998 to Apr 24, 1999
    Premiered: Spring 1998
    Broadcast: Unknown
    Producers: Bandai Visual
    Licensors: FUNimation Entertainment,Bandai Entertainment
    Studios: Sunrise
    Source: Original
    Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy,Drama, Sci-Fi, Space
    Duration: 24 min. per ep.
    Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

2. Grin

Only hers
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I watched it 'cause Yumo told me to. I liked the atmosphere, and the English dub was surprisingly good. I checked it out 'cause I was told that. They weren't wrong.

3. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Topnotch! despite my dislikes of an episodic storyline, was this show fantastic. The animation, the feels that got me, the soundtrack and the characters where very lovable.

4. Red

Red
    4ever REDDY
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Oh boy, one of my favorites. I loved this one, so smooth, elegant, well made, great ending, not too dragged out, realistic, relatable, very well animated, great fights, great personality development, good ambiguous beginning, outstanding and simply brilliant ending, good plot, feel-worthy and original.

Only downside is its episodic nature which tend to be filler-like.

5. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

Finally finished this, almost two years later

While it starts (in my opinion) pretty weak, the series ends strongly, and I think the last 3 episodes are probably 3 of the best episodes of anime I’ve ever watched. From the whole series, I think my favourite episodes are 5, 7, 11, 22 and 24-26.

The main characters (Spike, Jet, Faye, Ed) were all very well designed and I was drawn in to all of their individual pasts and stories, and I felt the way their respective character arcs ended was fitting for the character. The art, animation and music were all great as well, aesthetically speaking Bebop is definitely my favourite anime out there.

The issue I have with it, that many do, is that as a series with an episodic format, if a couple of back-to-back episodes are weak, the motivation to watch the next one decreases, which is part of why it’s taken me as long as it has to get through it. Having looked at the episode guide, there’s a good number of episodes that ended up being pretty forgettable, possibly too many for a series of its stature. I do think to watch the series, you have to accept that there’ll be a good number of episodes you won’t like, but there’ll be others that you love, and that love balances out the subpar episodes.

Overall I did really enjoy it, I’d give the whole series an 8/10, with the best episodes being 10s, and some of the weaker ones being a lot lower than 8

6. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I've heard good comments about it as other anime called Ghost in the Shell,this one was garbage.
    Never watched Cowboy Bebop,but in my opinion i think it's not good,it should be a crap like Gantz.
    I could try but i think it wouldn't worth it.

7. Grin

Only hers
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

If you've not seen it, why is it not good? Admittedly I did not expect to like it either, but the main characters are all solid.

8. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

There are lots of messed up action animes out there,man.
    To find a good one is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    I saw a recent one called Killing Bites.
    Shitty final.
    Garbage.

9. Glaze D. Bacon

Not dead, just dead tired
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Grin; you can’t tell if a show is good or bad if you haven’t even watched it yet. Hell, I thought JoJo was bad because it killed dogs, and look at me now.

10. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

It's a feeling i have.
    Sunrise was a good studio really,but not every animes they did were Inuyasha.
    I understand your point of course but i saw some sci-fi animes like this Cowboy Bebop style and they were very bad.
    The only good animes i could call sci-fi were Heavy Object and Parasyte.
    I think i could call them sci-fi.
    Mecha is also sci-fi and alien monsters.
    Amazing,Total Eclipse wasn't that bad too.
    The problem is when i have to watch more than 20 episodes of an anime just to get to see a shitty ending.

11. Glaze D. Bacon

Not dead, just dead tired
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

At least experienced opinions, no matter how negative they are, are more accepted than feelings. Marco never described that the ending was bad.

12. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

Baseless opinion, this oughta be good

I had a feeling that Boku no Hero was overhyped and then I watched it and was happily proven wrong

From someone who's actually watched it, the ending is the opposite of shitty

KKG likes this.
  13. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

As someone who actually watched it,your opinion has more value of course.
    The thing is i saw many action animes of many types and sci-fi are allways the ones that disapointed me most so i have to say it's predictable to me that i would hate the ending.
    Most shounens have problems i'm tired to describe here but i can never mention all of them because i would be banned and everyone of you would hate me.
    Your way of enjoying animes is very different than mine,i don't say it's just an anime.
    As for Boku no Hero Academy,i watched the first season and if this is the best Bones can do they will have another Soul Eater.
    That one was so bad.
    Dragon Ball caused the revolution,still rules,Inuyasha followed it and Bleach from i've been watching,but others like One Piece and Naruto are ruinning the shounen at some point that one day i will just avoid animes when i see "Action" in genre.:(
    Just my opinion,of course,but i'm still happy that other anime fans can enjoy it like it is.

14. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Bebop was definitely the series that got me to follow manga/anime as a whole. Not only is there excellent character development in the 24 (ish?) episodes, the music is freakin' top notch. The emotional connection/relation that takes Oda an entire arc or multiple arc, Bebop's mangaka does in just a few chapters/episodes. I don't have exposure to many series, but I know for sure very few (if any) can match Bebop in terms of making a character relatable out of nowhere.

15. servo

Expand Collapse

One of the best I ever saw and will reamin lik ethis forever