1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Current Strawhats crew and the roles they still "need"

Discussion in 'One Piece General' started by Ebony Rustle, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Ebony Rustle

Expand Collapse

After reassuring back at Whole Cake Island that Jinbei was going to be the 10th SH member, many have already started speculating who the next member will be with the entrance of the Wano arc. Some think it's Carrot, others think either Tama or Kiku, while a few even go so far as to pitch in Caesar.

While all of these are indeed possible, I believe many have also failed to look back on the consistency of Oda's selection process. And what is that, you ask? Well, it's simple: who fills a vital, non-combat role on the SH ship that no one has taken just yet.

As a review, here are those roles:
    Luffy - Captain
    Zoro - Firstmate*
    Nami - Navigator
    Usopp - Sniper
    Sanji - Cook
    Chopper - Doctor
    Robin - Scholar*
    Franky - Shipwright
    Brook - Musician
    Jinbei - Helmsman

Before proceeding, let's clear out the ones noted above. First, Zoro as firstmate. Yes, I know, it's very arguable. But aside from that, I really can't think of any other non-combat roles that he has, so let's just consider it for now.

Next, Robin as scholar. Yes, I know, she's specifically an archaeologist. But i think the general role of "Scholar" is much more appropriate for the majority of what she does, which is to share and use her knowledge on different fields of study instead of just archaeology.

As you can see, such are the primary roles of each member. And based on my research, these roles already comprise the majority or essentials of a ship's crew in the past (pirate or navy) and present, save for some minor roles or roles that are simply administrative in nature (for example, the Quartermaster).

If that's the case, how then can any other character be qualified to join? Well, it can go two ways: 1) Oda goes for the minor roles, and 2) he starts to consider combat roles.

If Oda goes for the minor roles, I believe it will boost Carrot and Tama's chances. Carrot because of her potential as a Scout who has far-sight and infiltration capabilities, and Tama because of her identity leaning towards a Cabin Boy/Girl, which can serve as her training to becoming a ninja.

If Oda shifts to combat variety, Carrot can also pose as the speed-type brawler of the group given that she has Electro to compensate for lesser power output (not that she isn't strong or anything). Kiku is also a possibility and she might serve as a different type of swordsman as compared to Zoro and Brook (special technique-focused swordsmanship in order to compensate for her being a woman?)

Well, those are my thoughts on the matter. Some may be subjective, but I did try to do some research about it. What do you guys think? :D

GoldenVenus and Seiryu like this.
  2. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

As a Zoro fan, I have to point out how critical his role is. He is the one to keep everyone (including Luffy) in check. Although he is not the smartest, he is the voice of reason in times of hardship. Whenever conflict between nakama has come up, Oda made Zoro the onetime come up with the answer (the predicaments with Robin, Usopp, and Sanji).

As for the main topic, the main crew is now complete (unless Oda changes his original plan but unlikely since he is cutting things short). We will have additional allies that join as underlings but the main crew is established for 1v1s against Blackbeard's crew.

Considering Luffy has to take on the entire world (around 200 countries, Oda decreased the number at Reverie I think), at a minimum, we need Elbaf to join. The RA should make up for the remainder. Don't forget that all the current underlings will become powerhouses that are strong enough to do historical things on their own. They are weak now, but their unseen adventures will make them worthy of being underlings to the Pirate King.

BlindWolf, GoldenVenus and opwild like this.
  3. opwild

Expand Collapse

I'm not considering any other crew members.

Maybe Oda surprises us, which is always possible, but in the beginning it was said that they would be 10 mugiwara and Luffy has always rejected adding too many nakamas (and I mean seriously, not including the moments he invites weird people/creatures to join them, because those are merely jokes and never come true, while in the moments other pirates ask to join his crew, he sais no), so it's not probable Oda is gonna change his mind now.

As @Seiryu said, from now on they will add other people on the allies list, but I don't think any of them will join the crew itself.

Chill024 likes this.
  4. Dreamer

Expand Collapse

I thought that Jinbei will be an advisor or a tactician.

5. Chill024

Expand Collapse

I dont really dig this new potential nakama(carrot and okiku)
    As much as i want okiku to join,theres not much bond or time spent together with the SH as we know the series gonna end soon maybe after this 1/2 arc left?and if they join after wano it doesnt seem like they participate much in the journey to the pirate king.

GoldenVenus likes this.
  6. GoldenVenus

Lord of the Underworld
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Yup kinda agree that the current crew is enough as it is. Luffy did say that he wanted a 10-member crew (or did I get confused and he wants 10 members aside from him?) Anyway, knowing Oda, I'm pretty sure he's gonna stick to that (unless he's gonna change it on impulse). People like Carrot, Kiku, etc would most likely just be part of the Grand Fleet (this is the best way in my opinion).

7. GoldenVenus

Lord of the Underworld
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that might suit him best. Saying that he has a role of a helmsman is kind of strange cos, for one, he's too important to have that kind of role, and two, they all seem to know how to steer a ship (aside from Luffy ofc cos I've never seen him doing it even once).

8. Ebony Rustle

Expand Collapse

Yeah, no doubt. But just to be clear, the reason I described him being the firstmate as "arguable" is because of all the technicalities involved in the title.

By its general and more romanticized definition, the firstmate is the person the captain trusts the most to handle the crew when he (the captain) is absent. So far, I believe we haven't seen Luffy express this sentiment towards Zoro.
    Are you referring to the 10-member crew that Oda has hinted in the earlier parts of the series? Was it explicitly said anywhere that it is Oda's original and still current plan? Is it 10 members including Luffy, or aside from Luffy?

Sorry for the consecutive questions on that one. I'm not trying to be tacky or anything. I just really don't have any knowledge on those. :laughing:

Also, if SH pirates versus BB pirates is going to be strictly 1v1, Luffy's crew needs 1 more contender, right? Because Teach himself + his 10 Titanic Captains = 11?

9. Ebony Rustle

Expand Collapse

Guys, just to clarify, I'm not trying to hard sell any "new member" theories here.:laughing: I'm just providing a simple review of what has happened thus far in Oda's selection process, and laying down scenarios for the various roles and characters that I mentioned.
    I believe this is already a common fact albeit not being explicitly declared? Helmsman is a very important position on any ship as it provides crucial skills in maneuvering the vessel. Sailing skills such as "tacking" isn't easily learned and done, and I believe Nami mentioned Jinbei has those at a very high level of expertise. And besides, with that logic of being "too important", it's like denying Sanji and Franky's roles as the ship's cook and shipwright just because of their strength or relative sense of authority within the group.:laughing:

Dreamer likes this.
  10. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

At least 1 more person will join. I'm hoping that "that person" would be as powerful as Franky or Brook and will significantly be essential to the crew. When I say essential, I'm not only talking about the ship/crew role here. I mean, the crew can contribute more than their role can or can extremely perform them.

11. GoldenVenus

Lord of the Underworld
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

When I said that Jinbei is important I didn't mean to say other members are not. And it has nothing to do with their strength either. Their positions have long been established, Luffy wanted a cook, a musician, a shipwright, and a first mate, a navigator, a doctor, and someone with great knowledge, he got all of them. So I know for a fact these are all important positions on the ship.

Jinbei's position in the crew has not yet been established, and while I know a helmsman is not unimportant, Franky, Usopp and even Brook seem skilled enough for the role, which is why I think there's no need for a specific role for it. Well, if Jinbei turns out to have that role I'm totally fine with it though, I don't mind. It's just, I agree that being a tacticion/advisor suits him more, after everything he's done for Luffy.

Dreamer likes this.
  12. Ebony Rustle

Expand Collapse

I didn't intend to say that you're trying to claim that other members are unimportant. But okay, yeah, I get it when you say it has nothing to do with their strength as well. Jinbei has more of a mature and experienced role than the rest that Luffy can depend on for advice given how Jinbei helped him so far.
    I still think being the helmsman is established for Jinbei. The position and skills needed for it is just too important and I believe it has long been warranted for the ship already. Sure, Franky or Ussop could do it but they can't keep relying on their substandard sailing skills to get through the later and much more treacherous seas of New World.

But don't get me wrong. Even if I say this, I know that it is still simply a position for the ship's operations and it doesn't take away anything from Jinbei on whatever else he can offer to Luffy and the crew. Like what Seiryu said, despite Zoro being the "swordsman" of the group, he has also taken on the role of voicing out the truth whenever there's internal conflict. Nami as well, despite being the "navigator", she also takes on a somewhat Quartermaster-ly role on the ship, which is to manage tasks onboard and discipline the crew if they're getting rough.

Taking on one role doesn't mean a member can't take on another. So even if Jinbei is the official helmsman of the crew, he can also definitely be the main adviser/tactician of the group.

Dreamer likes this.
  13. Finalbeta

Expand Collapse

I can see one more person joining at the very best not necessary from Wano still.

14. mysticalflute

Expand Collapse

Personally, I wouldn't mind if both Carrot and Kiku joined the crew. I know Luffy said 10 people but that was two years ago when he didn't know what being a pirate really entailed and just how dangerous the New World was, so for all we know, that might have changed.

15. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

#15 Seiryu, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    I'm a little too busy today to search my old posts, but I'll copy paste the answer (probably Monday). I'll probably just edit this post so I properly answer the questions.

Edit: Most people have a misconception because of a mistranslation of the early chapters. You are referencing the right scene, but almost everyone is basing their thoughts on an incorrect translation. The scene is only this: "First I gotta gather up nakama. I want 10 people!! Then a pirate flag!!" That's the text on the bottom two panels. It is very basic so the previous translators were probably trying to elongate the sentences to fill the text boxes evenly/read smoothly since it is chopped up into 3 short sentences. Unless Oda is going to contradict himself, we have our complete crew already.
    [​IMG]
    A big part of the 10 member crew is to match up with the 10 members of Blackbeard's executives. Blackbeard has been promoted to be the "final boss" of the story (not the "ultimate boss" who I expect to be the WG/top Marines when the Mugiwaras topple the corrupt system). He is the exact opposite of Luffy in almost every aspect. Unless Oda changes his original plans and adds another character to Blackbeard's executives, by extension Oda is not deviating from his original plan of only 10 members.

Part of this is Oda's numbering. Luffy is always "1", so it is 10 including himself.

If we are going into the "requirements" aspect, the major points are a sad past and world-changing dream. There are other points and trends, but I've forgotten them already. Personally, I see a lot of overlap between each crew member's "role" and their "dream". Zoro's role is 1st mate, so he doesn't need any skills other than his leadership and ability to calmly assess/analyze predicaments. Just like Roger and Rayleigh, Zoro has to be the responsible voice of reason when the crazy captain wants to go off on absurd adventures.

Chill024 likes this.
  16. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Luffy said he wanted 10 nakama way back in the beginning. So there’s room for one more. I don’t know if this is what you meant though.

17. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

One "requirement" for joining is that one can do something else unique other than their ship roles. Only Zoro is the exception, but this is because of the reasons @Seiryu senpai mentioned.

18. TiedyEPIC

Expand Collapse

Brook is already a scout, he can use his soul traveling thing to look without any punishment

Kia likes this.
  19. Ebony Rustle

Expand Collapse

Oh yeah, that's right. At first I was considering if Robin had enough versatility to solely act as a scout, but Brook does make more sense. :brook:

20. Ebony Rustle

Expand Collapse

If that indeed is the case and it's simply just "I want 10 people", the 10 shouldn't translate to Luffy being included, practically speaking. The wording of the sentences there even has a small yet commonsensical support to the [Luffy isn't included in the 10]-argument, which is the "I gotta gather up nakama" that precedes it all.

Oda's numbering? Is this a widely-accepted fact? What examples are there of this? Was there an interview where Oda explained this or perhaps a detailed thread with research regarding this numbering? Again, like my previous post, I'm not trying to be tacky here. But no disrespect, I'm not gonna be easily convinced without any concrete evidence or relatively solid arguments.
    With Luffy and Jinbei included, the SH crew is currently 10-member strong. How then does this 10 matchup with Teach plus his Ten Titanic Captains, which totals to 11? Does "Oda's numbering" also apply here? If it does, then by golly, there's another mistranslation that happened, specifically the one that explicitly says that Teach is [supported] by his Ten Titanic Captains.

Dreamer and Kia like this.