1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

D Stands for Donquixote

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by ParkourManiac, Jun 19, 2018.

1. ParkourManiac

Expand Collapse

#1 ParkourManiac, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    I'm not sure if this is an existing theory or not but in chapter 907 we learned that there are many in the Donquixote family who are leading normal lives. It is possible that Doflamingo's family was not the first in the Donquixote line to leave the celestial dragons and the others who left (perhaps even shortly after the void century) changed their names to D in order to hide their identities. When Homing left, his name got him killed, which is proof that if any Donquixote family members left in the past, they would have had to eventually hide their identies.

This could explain why Dragon has such a grudge against the celestial dragons/world government and the reason he was able to empathize with Sabo at gray terminal. I think that many top officials of the world government know of the meaning of the D as well as many top tier pirates (WB, Shanks, maybe Rayleigh, etc..), and is the reason the government is so fearful of those who bear the D, since the government knows how much trouble they can cause.

When Doflamingo was in chains on Tsuru's ship he said ' The family of "D." have been hiding in the shadow of history.' Shortly after he says the celestial dragons will be dragged down. Firstly, he doesn't call it the family of the "D.", he calls it the family of "D." implying that it is an actual family, not just a group of people, linked by the D. Secondly, I think when he says the celestial dragons will be dragged down, he is referring to the family of D, who hold both the power and status needed to bring down the celestial dragons. Not only this but i'm assuming most, if not all bearers of the D, have or will have the "will" to take them down once they discover the truth. Perhaps this is even what it means to have the "will of D".

Edit: I think its also incredibly strange that both Homing and Corason died with smiles on their faces(Chapters 766 and 767). I'm not sure exactly how many people we have seen die smiling in the series but i cant think of any that weren't in the clan of D. Either way, I feel this is strong evidence to suggest that the Donquixote family is at least part of the D clan.

What do you guys think?

Seiryu likes this.
  2. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

This is a nice theory. If it turns out to be true though, the whole "All D.'s being in the same family thing" might ruin a few ships (which would be kinda hilarious to watch, especially since that would mean Roger and Rouge were technically incesting, the best part is, I barely ship anything in this fandom so I can just eat popcorn as I watch entire tags grind to a halt, I say grind because the anime only fans will take a little longer to realize and there will always be the occasional... I'm gonna say lemon despite that word being out of date because this is a civilized discussion).
    And maybe the apathy towards the meaning of their names is a taught behavior to keep their children from blowing their cover on accident?

Kia and ParkourManiac like this.
  3. ParkourManiac

Expand Collapse

Ya, i think a necessary part of hiding their identities would be keeping it a secret from their children.

Lol, I also noticed the Roger and Rouge thing but it is possible that they are very distant cousins, depending on how long ago their ancestors left. But i guess the relation could explain the abnormally long pregnancy for ace.

4. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

Expand Collapse

Nah, that part was just Rouge being a strong-willed mama bear.

Dreamer and Judgement like this.
  5. ParkourManiac

Expand Collapse

Haha I know, I was just making a bad joke.

6. ParkourManiac

Expand Collapse

Just edited post to include more evidence

7. Kia

Kia
    Wickedly Wanton Way with Words
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

It’s a very interesting theory indeed and the incest thing is something that royalty has regularly done so it’s not that huge of a deal, for Rouge and Roger, historically speaking. If it turns out to be true. Just saying.

@Robin-Senpai Is The Best Luffy and Law already have to deal with the homosexuality taboo, what’s a little incest on top of that? He’s going to be King. King’s are supposed to keep it in the family back in those days — stop trying to ruin their love story. Nothing will come between them, except Zoro, he can be their bridge. Always. ^_^

Seiryu likes this.
  8. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

Expand Collapse

The thing is, homosexuality may someday end up being acceptable (please), but people will always be squeamish about incest. It will start a fandom war no doubt about it.

Seiryu likes this.
  9. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

It had better be! Close minded people need to get over themselves and let love happen—sorry, soapbox issue. I’ll shush now. I just have huge problems with discrimination and hatred. Love and light, you know?

Oh I’m sure it will. I was just messing with you. ^_^ I was simply saying that there’s precedent for it in many cultures.

10. Yamanoki

Expand Collapse

Quick clarification - if I recall correctly, Doflamingo specifically says "D. no ichizoku". Ichizoku, here, isn't being used in the sense of a blood-tied family. Normally it means 'clan', but in One Piece it's also broadly used to refer to groups of individuals with a particular commonality (in this case, the commonality being that they all have the initial D.) In a similar way, the Straw Hat Crew has been referred to by some characters (notably in the Big Mom arc) as 'Mugiwara no ichizoku' (Mugiwara = Straw, shorthand for Mugiwara Boushi = Straw Hat).

I'd be very surprised if 'D.' stood for 'Donquixote', since it would make Ace, Luffy, Roger, Garp, Dragon, Law, Rouge, and Blackbeard all blood relatives of Jaguar D. Saul. It may easily be the case that the former 8 of them are all interrelated, especially since there are two triples of confirmed blood relations among them, but I have a hard time believing that any of the 8 of them are blood-related to Saul.

Dreamer, Seiryu and ParkourManiac like this.
  11. Finalbeta

Expand Collapse

Not sure honestly I think we will still need to find out what's the true D meaning but it's only my impression

12. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

how about Kozuki Oden and Kozuki Toki ?

13. Johannes

"If I die trying at least I tried."
    Expand Collapse

That would be mind blowing if it is! :eek: But I still think that D stands for Devil (for NOW that's what I think and it is not certain, only Oda sensei can tell :grin:)

According to Rosinante, the "D."s are considered to be the natural enemy of the Celestial Dragons, as Celestial Dragons are considered to be "Gods".

:smilingimp: vs :innocent:

Dreamer and ParkourManiac like this.
  14. Anjo

An alcohol dependent being, born at a young age
    Expand Collapse

Seeing the parallels between Israel and Mary Geoise, this might be true. Both are named Holyland - Israel is a very important religious site while Mary Geoise is home to the heavenly Tenryubito with Saints on their names.

Israel was formed by the United Nations. Mary Geoise was formed by the World Government comprised of the twenty Ancient Kingdoms.
    United Nations was formed after World War 2. World Government was formed after the great war during the Void Century. World Government has five Gorosei controlling it. United Nations has 5 members of its Security Council.

So my take on this is that, religion or some other superstitional force is the main reason why the World Government has ascended and managed to grasp to its power until now. They may have formulated their own story about how the world was created followed by creating the World Nobles, labelling them as descendants of the creators of the world, which were actually the members of the twenty Ancient Kingdoms. Those who knew, managed to knew, or planning to know of this fabrication were wholeheartedly persecuted like Gol D Roger and the whole of Ohara. This could also be linked to the real-life Crusades done during the medieval period.

Those with D on their names, were most likely the descendants of the Great Kingdom and were the original inhabitants of Mary Geoise. There, they created or cultivated the present Devil Fruits which made them a global powerhouse. Their crafting of the Ancient Weapons was the last straw that made them a real threat and prompted the 20 kingdoms to band together to annihilate them. I believe the Devil Fruits that we know now were not really named Devil Fruits. It's just the World Government who coined this terms to emphasize that this was the products of the Devils (their enemies). They even made an encyclopedia about this fruits just to further intensify this propaganda to the world.

15. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Who was displaced for Mary Geoise to be formed? Isn’t Im technically in charge of the World Government? I’m just wondering about a few issues.

Well yeah, the whole calling themselves Gods was a major clue there. Not to be an ass or anything but that’s sort of a no brainer. If it really parallels the Crusades, and I have no reason to doubt it after Ohara, then they’ve been persecuting people for trumped up reasons for centuries in order to maintain power, gain land and control.

Now this answers a previous question and is logical historically speaking. Or it could be that the Devil Fruits grew naturally in that location and the other Kingdoms wanted to exploit their powers as well as that of the Ancient Weapons which were being protected and it was this desire that led to the war, displacement, and subsequent persecution. Who knows?

Anyways, even though I’ve asked questions, picked at things and think that some of the information (perhaps because of my background) is common sense, I enjoyed the read! ^_^

16. Anjo

An alcohol dependent being, born at a young age
    Expand Collapse

Well, you can say Im could be the UN Secretary General, idk. One thing to note about Im though is that his existence is unknown to the world except to the Gorosei and maybe a few other people (Doflamingo included probably). So is this Oda's way of suggesting a conspiracy theory that there is some unknown authority pulling the strings behind the United Nations? Ha, i know, i know, kinda far-fetched, but hey, anything is possible!

Another angle to view is the religious aspect of the World Government. Im could possibly be the personification of the Supreme Being worshipped in our world (God, Allah, etc.) and how humans worship and center their beliefs and actions around him. But I still feel that this take has something major lacking. I just can't pinpoint what exactly it is.

I've mentioned in the past that Im was perhaps based on the Canaanite god, Yam or Ym, God of Sea. He was the representation of the wrath of the sea making him also an important divine figure to the sailor Phoenicians. Yam's palace was said to be in the deepest abyss while Im is sitting on the Empty Throne inside the Pangaea Castle in Mary Geoise. The juicy part though is that his main enemy was Baal Hadad the Stormbringer, the God of Weather. Does this mean that we will have a Monkey D Dragon vs Im showdown in the future? The Ym vs Baal Hadad fight was also equated to Zeus vs Typhon in the Greek mythology so instead of Dragon vs Im, do we see an Enel vs Im or Enel vs Dragon? This could also be plausible knowing that Baal Hadad wielded a thunderbolt like Zeus/Jupiter. Well, lots of possibilities really, and that is why I love One Piece!

17. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I would say that society as a whole is moving in the right direction. However, from a scientific standpoint, the cultural bias against incest is justified. Genetically, mutations happen at an astronomically higher rate if the parental genetics are too similar. Although the idea of keeping the bloodline "pure" was commonplace in pretty much most cultures, the mutations undoubtedly contributed to the eventual downfall (mental disabilities being more and more frequent).

@Anjo has the response I was going to write if no one else brought it up (only in regards to D. being anyone residing on the Ancient Kingdom). The "free" culture of all residents being on equal ground is why there is no "incest" among D. They literally are from throughout the world (I would assume some were still moon residents too).

My bias is that Mariejois was a holy ground for the Ancient Kingdom. The reason for this is that no one else had the technology to carve art out of the "impenetrable" Red Line back then. I doubt that is where everyone lived, but it was definitely a place of high regard (probably since it was physically close to the moon/home for the founders).

Anjo likes this.
  18. Dreamer

Wandering Wondering Mind
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree with @Johannes that "D" stands for devil.

But I believe that it has something to do with Devil Fruits, maybe there's some kind of hidden power of Devil Fruits that only members of the D can use. I'm not talking about Awakening but something greater.

19. ignisC4t

Expand Collapse

what are guys smoke during this discussion ? what kind of drug ? just tell me...

20. Dreamer

Wandering Wondering Mind
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

What do you mean by that? We are just discussing and telling our opinions about this topic.