1. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  2. Our One Piece User Tournament is back. Join the fun now!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Dr. Stone

Discussion in 'Anime Series' started by Johannes, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Johannes

The End of the Beginning
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Information:

Episodes: Unknown
    Aired: Jul, 2019 to ?
    Premiered: Summer 2019
    Broadcast: Unknown
    Producers: Shueisha
    Licensors: None found, add some
    Studios: TMS Entertainment
    Source: Manga
    Genres: Sci-Fi, Adventure, Shounen
    Duration: Unknown
    Rating: None

Synopsis:

One fateful day, all of humanity was petrified by a blinding flash of light. After several millennia, high schooler Taiju awakens and finds himself lost in a world of statues. However, he’s not alone! His science-loving friend Senku’s been up and running for a few months and he's got a grand plan in mind—to kickstart civilization with the power of science!

(Source: Viz Media)

MyAnimeList

2. Johannes

The End of the Beginning
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Update: Episode 1 - Stone World :cool:

3. Marco Polo

*piano intensifies*
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

Anyone seen the first episode yet?

4. GoldenVenus

I shall rise
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

I've watched the first episode, it was not bad. I like the character (Senku) but I'll have to where the story goes.

5. Marco Polo

*piano intensifies*
    Expand Collapse

Just seen Episode one and ooh boy I’m excited. The art is very faithful to the manga and Taiju/Senku are pretty much how I imagined them (though I’m willing to bet Senku gets gradually more extra as the show progresses

Recommendations for:

@Chaudfontaine @Admiral Ryokugyu @Seiryu @Jawahib and anyone else who likes science idk

6. Admiral Ryokugyu

Green Bull
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

just watched it, and i already like the story. I might switch to the manga later if the anime skips stuff. Interesting story.

Marco Polo likes this.
  7. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tag. I've literally skimmed through the manga for years (so I've seen random panels over the years, but never got into it). I know I love the details and shading of the mangaka's style, so I'll give the anime a shot.

8. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Woah! That was an enticing first episode. I won't mention any manga spoilers, but I'm super curious to see the progression since I know certain achievements/steps of progress. I have to admit that the plot itself it a whole lot better than it seemed from the outside. Senku seemed like a stuck-up bastard from the outside, but he probably is Taiju's best friend. I personally loved the scene where Senku bets the house (at least for a high school kid) on Taiju not getting rejected. Senku definitely is driven by personal reasons (he likes the challenge of literally overcoming the entire world with science), but I wouldn't care about him as a character if he was "empty". I don't know if the opening chapter had the same balance of showing off his science skills (successfully reviving the bird) with the humanization of Senku.

I'll probably end up catching up to the manga, but damn, the anime would be worth it if they can keep up with the beautiful artwork the mangaka puts out. From seeing random pages, some of his landscape panels were amazing.

9. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

I’ve watched the first two episodes and am loving this show! It’s great. I’ve got two husbandos LOL. No seriously. The characters, animation and conflict are already bam. There’s comedy and the science is good as well. I truly look forward to where this is going. The boiling people down to basic types because there’s so few left is great. I look forward to seeing the conflicts... I’m already pleased that I’m not a singularity kind of person because I cannot choose between Senku and Tsubasa. I feel/agree with them both in different parts of me. So yeah. I dunno. I mean I haven’t read the manga but we shall see. As I said in the other thread, Are You Lost/Sounan Desu Ka? is similar in that it’s got survivalism but with high school girls on a tropical island

Seiryu and GoldenVenus like this.
  10. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Oh man, I can definitely relate because I think Tsukasa/Tsunasa is the first baddie I love more than any other character in the series. Hisoka from HxH was probably the closest thing but Tsukasa is hands down my favorite character in this series.

Thé WTF faces look better in the manga (I just jumped straight into the manga but I’ll try to keep up with the anime), but the nature scenes are definitely better in the anime. So much potential and hopefully the 100 or so chapters keep things connected.

11. GoldenVenus

I shall rise
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

I've watched Ep 3, and I'm liking it so far. Senku and Tsukasa are definitely my favorite characters (still team Senku though XD).

Seiryu likes this.
  12. Johannes

The End of the Beginning
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Expecting for Chibi Senku and Funny facial expressions :tearsofjoy:!

Seiryu likes this.
  13. Kia

Kia
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Well that got real. They’re seriously keeping the levels up as far as skills/abilities and I appreciate that. It would be boring as all hell if Tsukasa couldn’t hold his own with Senku or was conniving. He’s genuinely pure hearted and wants what he feels is best for the world. He doesn’t see the point in fighting unnecessarily so he posed a question, gave an option then went about his business. However, he wasn’t fooled by the ruse and knows the plan. So now it’s a race. Exciting indeed. The humor interspersed throughout is great and I’m looking forward to the next clash. Hopefully little miss lovelorn proves to be useful somehow.

Seiryu likes this.
  14. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

For sure. I have Tsukasa higher ranked as my personal favorite character, but I have to be team Senku though (expanded at the bottom of the spoiler comment).
    Now that I've read a big chunk of the manga, they are a pretty integral part of the manga, so I'm hoping they do a great job animating it (since chibi characters are usually done well since they are the more popular version of characters usually).
    Yup. Pacing, action, character development, comedy, believablilty/connectivity, all the main categories for a great manga all have high ratings for me. I don't think I've ever binged a manga series, but I'm up to chapter 70 or so, and god damn...This series is probably overtaking HxH as a clear #2 behind One Piece for me (for the first 70 chapters since I have no idea on well the story stays for the years to come).

It's a completely different style of character development (I'm not too fond of the over simplification of every person to their "role in society". To keep it anime relevant, episode 1 with Taiju saying to that Senku handles all the brainy stuff and that he handles all the labor stuff is how the series and individual character development goes. However, the mangaka does a great job at having almost immediate character development from anyone's introduction. There is a common thread to Oda in that every character has a unique eccentricity about them (or at least the major ones have it come up over and over).

Oh man...love Tsukasa as a character. I definitely can't fault him for killing the drunkard, but him killing the happy parents out of his universal bias was to show the "evil" aspect of his bias.

15. Marco Polo

*piano intensifies*
    Expand Collapse

Watched Episode 3

Tsukasa vs Senku is a very interesting ideological clash. It’s a shame there’s such a big conflict so early on in Senku’s mission, but as @Kia said, things would be too easy if Tsukasa just followed Senku blindly

16. Kia

Kia
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Now they’ve gotta run like the wind and see who gets to goal first at Hakone, right @Marco Polo? Tell me I wasn’t the only one who thought that once Hakone was mentioned and Tsukasa caught on. I mean, it’s clearly a race...

@Seiryu I’ll have to rewatch to look for the happy parents of which you speak. However, just because you’re doting parents doesn’t mean that you’re not capable of evil in other aspects of your live. For example, Sabo’s parents doted upon Stelly (and to a lesser extent, Sabo) but were clearly willing to let the Grey Terminal burn. This is the exact type of behavior that Tsukasa wants to prevent.

Marco Polo likes this.
  17. Marco Polo

*piano intensifies*
    Expand Collapse

I wanted them to shout "The mountains of Hakone are..." when they got to the top, lol

Kia likes this.
  18. Admiral Ryokugyu

Green Bull
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

#18 Admiral Ryokugyu, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Thanks again for @Marco Polo who recommended me to give this anime a try.

Dr. Stone is giving me some Death Note vibes, and i love that. The psychological warfare between Senku and Tsukasa reminds me of Light Yagami vs L.

One more thing that i appreciated about this show, is that they don't ( yet ) portay the antagonist as a bad guy who just wants to be a bad guy. They're dividing the fanbase, just like Marvel Studios have done with Thanos, and just like Tsugumi Oba and Takeshi Obata have done with Kira. A lot of fans have been sympathetic towards these antagonists, because their goals aren't really bad: it's their way of working towards those goals that is wrong. Thanos wants to save life on all planets from extinction, so he decides to wipe out half of all living creatures. Kira wants a world with no criminals, so he decides to kill them himself. Tsukasa wants a simple and peaceful stone world with no bad people and no dictatorship, so he wants to stop Senku from reviving them.

So it's always interesting when a story has such an antagonist.

Seiryu, Marco Polo and Kia like this.
  19. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

And like most things in the world, the best answer is somewhere in between the two extremes. I'm REALLY fond of the break-neck pacing of the series, so introducing the Senku vs. Tsukasa feud is literally the M.O. for the mangaka. It's surprising how much background information gets filled in by the oversimplification of everyone's "role". If the story continued without the immediate conflict, Senku gains too much of an advantage and this kills the plot.
    Nothing close to the corrupt royals. They were happily playing with their kids. They are so engrossed with each other they don't even react to the light (which is several seconds). The kids had huge smiles (the whole family did actually) on their faces. I love Tsukasa more than Senku, but the mangaka clearly wanted to show the "evil" behind Tsukasa's excessive stereotyping.
    screenshot.png

Marco Polo likes this.
  20. Kia

Kia
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Was that even shown in the anime? I haven’t looked for it yet but, as I said, I’m anime only. Ah, I took the time and rewatched. I found them. That doesn’t invalidate my point that people can be many things. We’ve had this discussion many times in other threads. Yes, anime and manga are simplifications of complex issues but just as you and Senku are arguing that being older doesn’t automatically make you evil, so too are Tsukasa and I arguing that being a loving/doting parent doesn’t automatically make you good.