1. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  2. Our One Piece User Tournament is back. Join the fun now!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Dr. Stone

Discussion in 'Anime Series' started by Johannes, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

This is manga only related info, but they were ranked in all of the character popularity polls (and I think they were in the top half or close to it for all three). The vocal fans got their way, but there are much less popular characters for sure.

But 100% YES! This very quickly became my second favorite series of all time (it seems only 50% done, but that might be an overestimation since it's still early in the manga too). It's the only series I've seen to maintain a break-neck level of pacing for >100 chapters. Of course some series can do it for an arc, but Dr. Stone takes it to a different level while still having everything fit perfectly together.

I will be realistic that the exact current manga chapters magically slow down to a "normal" pace, but this past week has an implied shift back to Dr. Stone "normal" levels of pacing. Everything still fit perfectly, but there wasn't a "major" event in a few chapters in a row. Literally every single chapter/episode will have something big. Literally 97% of the chapters has a huge breakthrough, legit drama/action, etc.

We've also discussed character development before, and Inagaki is even better than Oda at just making a character feel right at home. He steals Oda's technique of having every major character have one eccentricity (Oda's the first I've seen use it on a universal basis). So the plot/literary side is completely solid too.

My preference is to have a series that has a little bit of everything (action, drama, comedy, etc.) but still meet my overanalytical perspective. It's still only 116ish chapters, but it has done nothing but exceed my expectations.

GoldenVenus and Marco Polo like this.
  2. Marco Polo

「MISTA TWELVE」
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

#42 Marco Polo, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Episode 8 is out!

Suika is a lil’ cutie, love her

It’s not an anime until everyone eats ramen together, even if that ramen is ten billion percent worse than 21st century ramen, lol.

Also, to add on to what @Seiryu said: this series has a unique charm to it that comes from its “power system” - whatever Senku and co. create in a chapter adds to their might. From small things like making ramen, to major things like developing antibiotics - it’s all useful and seeing the process behind every creation is entertaining. That, and Senku seems to have that “Luffy effect” as a protagonist, where even in a cast of fun, eccentric characters, he stands out above the rest - something that’s reflected in popularity polls. It’s rare for a protagonist to stay the series’ most popular character throughout (see: Deku’s dropping in popularity in MHA), but I’d be willing to put money on Senku retaining his No.1 spot for the series’ entire run

Seiryu, Kia and GoldenVenus like this.
  3. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Yup, they nailed Suika completely (and probably most importantly the voice actor). Maybe it's my eyes, but I'm disappointed they revealed her hair color. It might have only been one scene since the perspective had to be down and up on an already short character, but whatever.

Senku's a terrible Japanese though. It's the broth that makes a ramen. Just because the noodles taste like medicine, the broth is what delivers the initial taste (what everyone else is going cuckoo over).

The WTF faces are definitely a major highlight for me. Always hilarious.

4. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

So I’m thoroughly enjoying this still. I liked that Senku was concerned about Kohaku being instantly in love with him. That was a great response. Chrome is fantastic. The sorcery battle and all of his collection, plus the geeking out once he lost was priceless. I like the way they’re winning over everyone. I mean even before the ramen happened which was super wonderful because you can’t have a show without ramen, obviously. Suika is so adorable! What I’m wondering about still is how they’re supposed to make sulfuric acid. I saw it on his diagram to make antibiotics and I still dunno how they’re supposed to get that rare element. Now I want to research if it’s even found in Japan.

Marco Polo likes this.
  5. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

It's stereotypical, but Senku's love of science overrides everything else (excessive focus on his dream). But this definitely carries over to Chrome too. Maybe I'm getting mixed up with something else, but Chrome nerding out about hearing about what the world used to be like seemed way too short/under emphasized.

It's been way too long since organic chemistry (and thank god I don't have to use it), but chemical reactions are independent of the location as long as the necessary components are present. Sulfuric acid doesn't have any rare elements in it so it is more about the ability to do modern chemistry in the stone world. Senku's already started this with his mixing of different chemicals experimenting on the potential revival fluid.

6. Kia

Kia
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

So it’s the getting from sulphur to the acid form that I’m talking about precisely because when I refreshed my memory many episodes ago whilst I was trying to figure out why/how Senku was going to beat Tsukasa and not get killed (and why he hadn’t just made sulfuric acid in the first place as a backup weapon), I found a process basically like this: Take the sulfur and burn it with oxygen to make SO2. Then, direct the stream of SO2 gas into a reactor bed with some vanadium pentoxide catalyst and extra oxygen gas to make sulfur trioxide gas which is the acid anhydride of sulfuric acid. Then, the bubble the SO3 gas produced by that reaction into some water. The element that I was concerned about being the vanadium pentoxide. However, I did more research and vanadium is not only the 22nd most prevalent element; it’s definitely present in Japan. More specifically, it’s present and has been measured in the hot springs surrounding/at Hakone. So there’s no question anymore about availability of necessary elements per se.

7. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Ah, I got ya now. I won't spoil anything but a very convenient loophole is coming up. Per the norm of the series, great drama is developed in the midst of trying to overcome the problem. I'm hella rusty on the o-chem, but I can't pick apart the early chemical reactions (still just a few steps of reactions). There's a specific person used for "science references" in the manga, but they've been legit for everything thus far.

Yes, the sulfuric acid as a weapon is something that comes up as an option so it's not like they aren't aware of the science behind it. I really think "everything fits" with this series, so I'm super curious to get your opinion as things fly along.

8. Marco Polo

「MISTA TWELVE」
    Expand Collapse

I wasn’t very good at chemistry in high school so I’m going to skip out on the “how to manufacture sulfuric acid” discussion

However, Episode 9 is out!

Asagiri Gen, aka Marco Polo_irl is finally here! His loyalty is questionable and his words are meaningless, but will he end up becoming a reliable ally?

The lightbulb moment was really magical, it’s impressive how far the Kingdom of Science has come already - and the journey’s just begun!

Also, RIP Kinro’s spear 5738-5738: never forget :’(

Also bonus meme from the episode:

41662113-687D-43CD-826E-6278F9159A6D.jpeg

6FBB7CC4-8AC0-4A09-A914-4F64502844CF.jpeg

Seiryu, GoldenVenus and Kia like this.
  9. Kia

Kia
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Wow, could you pick a smarmier guy to represent yourself? His words are as light as a feather. I mean he did come through in a pinch—to save his own skin. Though I do appreciate the hair representing his clear balance of good and evil inside himself. Kinro and Ginro powering the generator just to get shiny new spears that may never be is sad but efficient.

My only concern with that magical lightbulb moment is that it clearly broadcasts that Senku is alive if Tsukasa was awake to see it.

Marco Polo and GoldenVenus like this.
  10. GoldenVenus

I shall rise
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Dr. Stone is getting better and better each episode. There's just something about it that really excites me, and pleases me at the same time. And of course, Senku makes everything even better. (please bear with my fangirling)

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing, because he's basically announcing their location. But knowing Senku, I guess he knew it already.

Kia likes this.
  11. Marco Polo

「MISTA TWELVE」
    Expand Collapse

Psychology boys - we're all smarmy

I think they exaggerated the brightness to make it look more dramatic - theoretically one lightbulb wouldn't produce enough light that Tsukasa's kingdom would see it... right?

Kia likes this.
  12. GoldenVenus

I shall rise
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Ah that's right, that makes sense. I forgot that Tsukasa's base is far.

13. Kia

Kia
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

I think it would depend on relative elevations as well as distance in addition to the brightness of the bulb. The brightness shouldn’t be underestimated in a world without any light pollution at all. Light really travels on the wilderness. I’ve seen it.

GoldenVenus and Marco Polo like this.
  14. Marco Polo

「MISTA TWELVE」
    Expand Collapse

Episode 10 is out!

Cola is a powerful motivation, huh. I bet it's really warm in the stone world, so a cold bottle of cola would probably go a long way.

Looks like there's a plan to save Ruri now... Will the Kinro/Ginro team be strong enough to beat Magma?
    I'm not a fan of the blonde hair on Magma/the village chief, it looks more yellow than blonde and just seems a bit off

15. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Haha...I can't believe I forgot about this...you guys haven't put a video out in a while, but yup even the physical appearances overlap a bunch.
    Exactly...Marco's too nice to say it bluntly, but there's a reason for a bunch of these imagery, point of reference, etc. A nice touch for an anime since it's purposefully added for manga readers and stimulates connecting the dots. Pretty sure I'm being more than vague enough to not be considered a spoiler...
    Damn...I only recently watched episode 9...

I hope you aren't as easily bribed as Gen!

I'm not sure if it's a different shade of blonde, but I thought Magma's hair color when he was first introduced in episode 9 was fitting.

Kia likes this.
  16. Kia

Kia
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Have you ever bleached dark hair? It turns super brassy yellow, well it turns reddish orange first then gets yellow. That’s what happens. So those dark roots are telling me that yellow blonde isn’t natural somehow and thus is an appropriate shade? Could just be me. But yeah, cola is hella motivating. Just thing of all the things they’ll be able to do once they have it. They can clean the corrosion off their battery or nuts/bolts if it develops, neutralize jellyfish stings, kill small rodents, I’m sure there’s more that I cannot recall.

Even if Kinro/Ginro aren’t strong enough, Kochaku is the contingency plan as she’s entering as well to ensure Magma loses. Chrome was hella cool when he proclaimed that it didn’t matter if he fought because he’d settle for creating/procuring the cure. So long as she can get better and he can keep his promise, it’s all good. True love says you don’t have to be happy with me, I just want you to be happy. My man!!

Seiryu likes this.
  17. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I don't think talking about bleaching hair is a spoiler, but doesn't it get white with enough repetition? I had a high school friend who wanted his hair green. The first time he didn't bleach it enough, so it looked poop/barf green. Came out much better with the extra bleaching. But makes sense since he started with a base that wasn't white.
    I think I know who the bleached hair is referencing, but I'll avoid spoilers and just say I think it is meant to be natural as shown. I guess there's two people this could apply to, but I personally think both are natural.

But 100% agree on Chrome. I love how the series gives everyone a moment to shine. Great artistry by BOCHI for all of them, with the anime carrying over most of the details consistently.

But to go back to Gen, despite his natural personality, he isn't 100% petty/superficial. He's already taken a huge liking to Senku (probably mainly determined by the first impression though). He definitely isn't lying that he just wants to be safe, wants to have a harem, etc. At the same time, I do not think he is lying about saying that a bottle of cola can bribe his loyalty either. If I had to try to verbalize it another way, safety/harem is 99% important, but a cola (in the stone world) is 100% universally important. Of course this 100% flips pre-petrification.

18. Monster Trio

青眼の究極竜
    Shichibukai Member of the Year 2015
    Expand Collapse

This is the anime thread right? Well honestly I haven't read all the previous posts.. but the animation of it has been great so far. At first I thought they toned down a bit on the facial expressions as compared to the manga but I'm really liking the last few episodes(: I hope people like it lots and it'll have more seasons, as the stuff that happens in the manga later on just gets better and better.

Seiryu and Kia like this.
  19. Kia

Kia
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

The craftsmanship was fantastic! I was so excited to see Suika be able to enjoy that field of sunflowers. Of course Senku used it as a way to optimize her labor but at least he took her to a gorgeous place for her first sight with clear vision. Can they please make actual glasses now though? As much as Ginro and Kinro easedrop, they should realize that Senku can fix the fuzzy sickness and give them a real shot at winning. I honestly expected the helmet to disappear entirely but instead he retrofitted it for specs which makes the most sense in order to maintain Suika’s position as the detective of the group. The way they baited the artisan was perfect. It’s not only something that I would have done but something that would’ve worked on me. I both love and hate it lol. This is why Senku is so amazing. Seriously he’s Machiavellian. The only things is that if Kohaku wins, they can stop Magma but that doesn’t get them access to Ruri-nee necessarily since a wedding won’t occur and she’s still disowned. Chrome has definitely been taking after Senku though with the just grabbing who they need and damn the consequences lol. Everyone is a potential labor source it seems. He’s a man on a mission. Nothing stops love and science!

Marco Polo likes this.
  20. Marco Polo

「MISTA TWELVE」
    Expand Collapse

How’d they make getting glasses so emotional, damn :sob:

Kinro being nearsighted as well seems like an important plot point, I wonder if Senku will notice/already has noticed - being able to see sounds like a really basic powerup but it’ll do wonders for him.

Kaseki’s finally here, he’s like a stone world Master Roshi with those muscles lol

Seiryu likes this.