"DRAGONS" (From One Piece Magazine Vol. 5)

Discussion in 'One Piece News' started by Pacquiao8, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#1 Pacquiao8, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Source: @NoxDRaz Blog, translated by EtenBoby of Reddit

Here's an article from the magazine which contains information about stuffs related to "DRAGONS".

Wano country and “Dragon(竜)”:
    The opponent that the three swords style swordsman Zoro defeated in Thriller Bark, Ryouma, legend says that he had cut down a dragon(竜) with his sword, that sword is now in the hands of Zoro. In Punk Harzard, Zoro have already kill a dragon(竜).
    Now, Zoro and the Strawhats are in Ryouma’s homeland, Wano, to take down one of the four emperors, Kaido. Kaido is a dragon(龍), so perhaps the legend of dragon-slaying will happen again.

Dragon(竜) and Dragon(龍): Similar yet different
    Ryouma had a legend of killing dragon(竜), and now the country is guarded by a dragon(龍), Wise king Kaido. In the time of 23 years, dragon(竜) shifted from enemy to guardian, it’s not just a change of kanji, but perhaps the society as well. In current Wano, the idea of opening the border and the Kozuki clan that want to do so are all considered evil. So perhaps it’s a political movement to hide the past by switching to “龍”.

Celestial “Dragons” and Dragon(竜):
    According to Brownbeard, the celestial dragons adore the dragon in punk harzard to the point of naming it. They also use the “hoof of the flying dragon” as their mark.
    After consuming the artificial devil fruit made by Vegapunk, Momonosuke turns into a dragon. At the entry of Punk Harzard, there’re two large horns that reminds people of Kaido. IF the artificial devil fruit was made base on Kaido’s body, then it’s natural for they to use him as a symbol.
    Why are the celestial dragons so keen on making dragon-like creatures and devil fruits? Or is it that it will not do if it’s not a dragon.

If we compared Momo’s dragon(竜) form to the dragon(龍) form of Kaido, it’s as if they’re father and son.

“Dragon” of The Revolutionary Army:
    How ironic that the leader of RA who want to take down the celestial “dragons” are named “Dragon”(doragon). IF the name was given by Garp, and it’s given after he joined the Navy, did he give him that name so people will think of the heads of the world government? Is it really a coincidence that someone named Dragon(doragon) aims to take down the celestial dragons(竜)?

Here are the scans via TalkOP:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Source: Same as above

The Artificial Dragon from Punk Hazard which was made by Vegapunk was a Western Dragon!!
    It’s characteristics are explained in the magazine as follows:

• The saliva in it’s mouth is flammable and have the properties of the oil which enhances the firepower.
    • The bones in the wings are hollow, so as to reduce the weight, but the bone composition is close to carbon and hence it is very strong. Due to that the structure can fly under strong air currents.
    • There are many unique organs in the body for fire and flammable gas. There is also a lot of gas in the organs, so it can breathe fire on the enemies.
    • There are huge nostrils which can inhale a lot of oxygen which helps in producing fire.
    • It also has very long fangs to have a strong bite force.
    • The skin is very hard and fire resistant.
    Scan, same provider as above:
    [​IMG]

3. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

An info at the bottom left of the left page which was missed by many translators:

" ONE PIECE will focus on dragons in the future ... "

4. mysticalflute

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I bet it will. I bet it will.

5. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

@NoxDRaz are you the scan provider? :o

6. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Revolutionary Army and Celestial Dragons arcs?

7. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Expand Collapse

no idea, it's probably Editor Naito who told them that. He has a vague idea of how One Piece will come to an end.

Apparently dragons are very important to the story of One Piece. We got the leader of the Revolutionary Army named Dragon. The World Nobles are called Celestial Dragons. They told Vegapunk to make a dragon in Punk Hazard.

And another thing that i'm sure is related to that: Ryugu Palace in Fishman Island is adorned with a gigantic Eastern Dragon. I've always wondered why Oda did that. Eastern Dragon is related to Chinese Mythology, Fishman Island is based on Atlantis which is a part of Greek Mythology and has nothing to do with dragons at all.

There's something about dragons that's really crucial to the story, and which we don't know yet.

image.png

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  8. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Urashima Tarou is the main reference for Neptune and his palace. Ryuugu-Jyou literally translates to "dragon shrine palace".

I was hoping for clarification on the implied change of Zoan classifications...Technically the Japanese word for "dinosaur" uses the dragon kanji, so it does match the "Japanese" perspective on classification. I guess this "dragon" theme is going to come up over and over again. The most interesting part is the Tenryuubito obsession. Their obsession is probably what sparked Vegapunk's capture then.

It would be nice if Momo could somehow contribute to toppling Kaidou, but he's way too weak. That last bit on Oda purposefully having the dragon/dragon and father/son part is something I want to read the raw on.

Just a FYI: 竜 is the kanji for common kanji, while 龍 is used primarily for names (trying to match lucky stroke counts and what not).

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  9. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Expand Collapse

Yes you're right. Thanks for the clarification.

But still it could have a double meaning, because we already know that dragons will play some sort of role in the story from now on. There is one more thing that i try to understand. Why do all Navy Headquarters have a Wano-inspired architecture ? Old Marineford, New Marineford, and G1.

G1.png
    old.png
    new.png

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  10. NoxDRaz

Expand Collapse

#10 NoxDRaz, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Some scans yes. other were from TalkOP. Sorry for the late reply, been busy in University lately.
    Anyway The Dragon part of the content was translated by someone I know /u/EtenBoby. And the rest was translated by me. I also asked Eten to translate the novel Law since it was too much for me. So he translated the novel Law, it is also there on dawnofonepiece.com

Marco Polo and Pacquiao8 like this.
  11. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Expand Collapse

wrong thread, comment deleted

12. NoxDRaz

Expand Collapse

What do you mean?

13. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Oh, thanks for clarifying. Can you please tell us which of the ones posted are from you and from others, so that I can correct the credits? :D

14. NoxDRaz

Expand Collapse

The Magazine Cover, ASL as Marines with Garp, Zoro's bounty poster Law's poster and Big Mom's children collage If i remember correct and the rest including the Dragon Scans were from TalkOP. Dragon content was translated by Eten and the rest by me.

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  15. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

My mind immediately jumps to kairouseki and Wano Kuni craftsmen. If not, just Oda being Japanese since he's already said way back that he won't tailor things for foreign readers despite the international popularity.

16. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Expand Collapse

In that interview Oda was talking about the Japanese jokes. He said that when it comes to Japanese jokes then he can't do anything about it when foreign readers don't understand them, so he said he leaves it to translators to explain things.

17. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Was it only jokes? I know the quote my brain refers to is from the interview when the international colorspread was released (the one with each Mugiwara member representing a country with the top volume sales, so we had Japan, India, and U.S. for sure. Off of memory, Zoro was the Japan side, Robin was India, and I can't remember who was the U.S.). So this was a long time ago (in general your references come from the recent stuff since I know Ace/Blackbeard was addressed before the recent Ace novels). Because this was one of the interviewer's main questions, with the timing of the international celebration, that's the only reason why I know the time frame my quote comes from.

Ah, so mine might have even been from an old SBS. It might not even have been an interview. Going back far enough, Oda gave no interviews at all for anything when I first started the series. So just timeline wise, that colorspread is still in a time when interviews are rare.

18. KKG

KKG
    I hate every haters of the anime in my avatar
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Dragons shouldn't be in One Piece because they are some of the strongest mythical creatures.
    One Piece is not an overkill anime.
    A swordsman from Wano cutting a dragon is a serious insult to every dragons,they can't do it!
    Dragons can only be hurt by legendary swords like Excalibur and some hero who is very strong to use it,angels,high class demons or a god.
    Wano samurais are all jokes!
    What's the point of cutting fire and paint stupid goofy creatures?
    This whole story is fake:lol:

19. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. If so, they're the first ones to be insulted in the series:
    Ryuma (Shusui's original owner) from Monsters (an Oda one-shot manga):
    [​IMG]

20. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

d is for dragon

luffy is actually a dragon slayer sent forward in time to stop the end of the universe. he and his dragon slayer buddies teach, law, garp and dragon, have to awaken their dragon slayer magics and the power of friendship to defeat the ultimate dragons who will bring about death and destruction

one piece is fairy tail confirmed