1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Edinbour's Great "Nuzlocke Challenge" Adventure In Pokemon X

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Edinbour, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#1 Edinbour, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    First off for those who don't know, "The Nuzlocke Challenge is a set of rules intended to create a higher level of difficulty while playing the Pokémon games." -Bulbapedia

I've looked through a lot of the rules, optional rule, etc. but since this is my first time and it sounds like quite the challenge, I'm gonna tweak 'em a bit for my game to be challenging, but enjoyable (I'd rather not end this adventure like 2 gyms in.. lol)

Second, here are the rules I will be following for this adventure:
    • The #1 being that if a Pokemon faints, it's "dead" and must be released/never used again.
    • First encounter rule (catch the first Pokemon each route) but am also using the duplicate clause (if I already have it captured, I get another attempt)
    • I am NOT allowed to use any items, but I'm allowing Pokemon Center visits because if you break an arm, you can't drink a magical potion and all is well, you see a hospital.
    • I have to nickname every Pokemon I capture to build a stronger bond with them, so in the event one of them "dies" I feel sad
    • Absolutely NO use of an EXP Share or the Daycare, again to build a bond with my Pokemon. A lot of the game will be a grind-fest of training, but it'll be worth it! ;)
    • Gift Pokemon are allowed from NPC's, but I'm not allowed to make any online trades (obviously)
    • EDIT: Event Pokemon are also allowed, just not Legendaries
    • 'Battle Scene' is on 'SET' and not 'SHIFT' so whatever Pokemon I have in battle, stays until I can switch them out, for an extra challenge
    • Shiny's are allowed to be captured/used because the chances of encountering 'em is very, VERY low (I've only ever encountered 4 shinies in my Pokemon Career) :P
    I think that's it for the rules, but if I forgot one I'll edit it in with the word 'EDIT' next to it.
    I think that although I tweaked some rules a bit, it'll still be a very fun challenge! :)

Now third and finally, the story:
    I wasn't sure whether to post this Thread in the 'Gaming' section or 'Writers Corner' section, but I opted for the former because..
    A: it's just a journal-entry based story about a Pokemon game
    B: There will be chapters, but I don't plan on making new Threads for each chapter/update, instead I'm gonna call 'em "days" and just post here in this Thread.
    C: How "days" work will be that every time I play, I will keep a record of major events and post here. That means that if I play 3 times in one day, that'll be 3 days, hence why I don't wanna make new Threads each time, as that would count as "spam"

So sorry for such a long read, but I'm pretty excited about this new adventure! I hope you are too and really hope you enjoy it :)

Judgement likes this.
  2. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

"Day 1"

• Good morning world! The sun is shining, I hear some Fletchling's chirping out my window and normally I'd be mad because they woke me up, but not today! Today's the day I set out on my Pokemon adventure! I just gotta shower up real quick so I can head out!
    • My mother is so excited about me starting this new adventure as well, I guess she really wants me out of the house, but whatever. She said something about meeting someone in Aquacorde Town to get started, so I guess I should head there now.
    • I met some of my neighbors waiting for me outside and we met up again in Aquacorde Town. After being formally introduced, they wanted to call me some nickname so I told them to just call me "Red King" which they obliged. I didn't bother to learn their names though because they seem kinda childish, but one of them was running an errand for the professor and gave me a Pokedex as well as my first Pokemon, so he's alright in my book.
    • I chose the Pokemon Fennekin and named it Foxy. Not very clever, but I never said I was good at nicknames. Haha.
    • Before returning home to deliver a letter from the professor to my mother, I was challenged to a battle. She had a Chespin, so having the advantage my Foxy burned the living daylights out of it and sent them packing to the infirmary! lol
    • I delivered the letter to my mother and it basically said "wish your son luck on his adventure. F.Y.I he might not come back alive! lmao" and my mother got a good chuckle out it, thinking it's just a cynical joke. She also gave me a map, so she seemed very prepared for me to be leaving. Well, I'm off!
    • My first Pokemon encounter, I was successful in capturing it, a Pidgey! I wanted to name it 'Birdshit' but a voice in my head wouldn't let me, so I went with 'Birdpoop' so close enough I guess?
    • I hear the next city over is Santalune, but i gotta get through this forest first. I suppose this will be a good time to get some training done and maybe catch a new Pokemon?
    • I've finally got out of the forest and not only managed to train up Foxy and Birdpoop a bit, I also managed to catch a Scatterbug, which I decided to name 'Caterpie Jr.' since he reminds me of every other Caterpie rip-off. Haha
    • Wouldn't you know it? After training a bit more before getting to Santalune, some jerk almost runs me over on roller-skates! The nerve of some people.. I also came across some buck-toother goober of a Pokemon called Bidoof which I didn't want to deal with, but it seemed eager to fight since it wouldn't let me escape, so I released Foxy on it and let it rain burning embers. I decided to catch it though, because his will and ambition may prove useful in the future. I decided to name him 'Treiquon' after an old friend of mine who once had bucked-teeth like a Bidoof, but also had a strong will.
    • I met up with that bitch that almost ran me over with her skates, but she said that her sister is the gym leader of Santalune. I guess she's a trainer of Bug Types so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge for Foxy or Birdpoop, but I'm gonna get some extra training in the east at route 22, just in case.
    • After some intense training at route 22, I also managed to capture a new Pokemon, Litleo which is also a Fire Type, so that will definitely help for my up-coming gym battle! I've decided to name him Puss Feller after a character from the James Bond film 'Dr. No' as well as a pet cat I used to own.
    • For now, I think I'll hit up a Pokemon Center and rest until tomorrow.
    MAJOR EVENTS FOR DAY 1:
    - Left for Adventure
    - Received Pokedex
    - Received Fennekin (Foxy)
    - Received Town Map
    - Caught Pidgey (Birdpoop)
    - Caught Skatterbug (Caterpie Jr.)
    - Caught Bidoof (Treiquon)
    - Caught Litleo (Puss Feller)

Judgement and Chaudfontaine like this.
  3. Judgement

Onii-chan of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

HYPE

Edinbour likes this.
  4. KKG

KKG
    I hate every haters of the anime in my avatar
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Zubat is the best Flying type.
    Faster than Pidgey,lots of attacks,and once he trusts you you'll have Crobat.
    You can find them in caves usually.
    You will probably have more options since this is a new gen.
    Have fun.

dreamlovermimi and Edinbour like this.
  5. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than a snowflake
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

You seem to have fun. I will look forward with interest how your gameplay will proceed :smile:.

Judgement and Edinbour like this.
  6. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Glad you're excited! :)
    I've used Crobat in a lot of my games. Although he has a lot of weaknesses, his speed and poison attacks are quite effective. I'm sure I'll run into him on one of my first encounters in this game eventually ;)
    Thanks! And yes, although I just started, I'm having a fun time staying focused on not letting any of my Pokemon "die" :)

I'm about to play some more after I grab a bite to eat, so I'll post "day 2" later on, most likely before I leave for work!

Dreamer likes this.
  7. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

"Day 2"

• I decided to spend a lot of time getting some extra training done on route 22, just for extra preparation for my upcoming gym battle.
    • Puss Feller fought his first battle against a Flabebe which was 2 levels higher than him! He almost lost but managed to pull out the victory. I'm proud of him.
    • Before entering the gym, some roller-skating challenged me to a battle. As it turns out, she was the one who almost ran me over yesterday, not Viola's sister. Perhaps I shouldn't have spit in her face? #SorryNotSorry
    • After the battle, Caterpie Jr. evolved into Spewpa and the bitch gave me a pair of roller-skates. I'm still getting used to 'em but I keep falling on my face. I can't wait until I get myself a bike!
    • There were 3 trainers I had to face before going up against Viola, but they were no match for my Foxy!
    • Viola herself was a cakewalk. I decided to let Foxy rest and used Birdpoop instead and won quite easily and earned my fist gym badge!
    • I think now's a good time to rest up. Today was a busy day, although it was mostly training.
    MAJOR EVENTS FOR DAY 2:
    - Puss Feller won his first battle
    - Caterpie Jr. eveolved
    - Received a pair of roller-skates
    - Defeated Viola and earned my first gym badge

Dreamer and Judgement like this.
  8. Judgement

Onii-chan of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

If you ever need any advice whatsoever, hit me up oo

Dreamer and Edinbour like this.
  9. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

You should name your next capture: Condoriano

PSA: I'm a proud Nuzlocke opposer.

Judgement, KKG and Edinbour like this.
  10. KKG

KKG
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I've played heart gold and i noticed grass is better on rock and ground than water.
    And for water types electric is the best.
    Dark type beats ghosts and psychic very good.
    Physical dark attacks like crunch are effective,it works:grin:
    I never like Normal types.
    Taking their immunity to ghost types they suck.
    I wonder what pokemon you can find in that game.

11. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than a snowflake
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Congratulations for defeating Viola :).

Edinbour likes this.
  12. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Haha thanks! She didn't stand a chance :P

I'll be posting Day 3 later on! ;)

Dreamer likes this.
  13. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Effectiveness vs. each types varies. And then Abilities comes after. Pokémon X, from Gen. 6, only a few new species were introduced. But there's Mega Evolution.

Edinbour likes this.
  14. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I've never been a fan of Mega Evolutions. I think I used it like once or twice, so I most likely won't be using it in this run. I didn't put a rule about not using hold items, but I just won't use Mega's out of principle.

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  15. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That's why I hate Nuzlocke. It's imposing BS rules which "destroys" the gameplay itself. It's like picking the first option in a multiple choice exam all the time because it's a rule (just for the sake of "challenge" BS), you get what I mean?

But in your case, you're not a fan of ME so it's "valid".

Just to be clear to everyone, I respect everyone who are against my views and those who do Nuzlocke. :cool:

Dreamer and Edinbour like this.
  16. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That's why I tweaked the rules a bit, so I can have a good challenge, but still enjoy the game. :)

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  17. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#17 Edinbour, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    "Day 3"

• The time to rest is over. Now that I have my first gym badge, it's time to head to head for Lumiose City.
    • On route 4, I came across a Flabebe. I decided to pull back Puss Feller since he was having some PTSD about almost dying to one yesterday, so I sent in Foxy to do the job.
    • I ended up capturing Flabebe and naming her Wendy. No particular reason, she just looks like a Wendy to me. lol
    • There are a lot of trainers on route 4, so I managed to get quite a bit of training done, as well as earn myself some pocket cash. Looks like we'll be eating some steaks tonight instead of the usual instant-ramen!
    • I'm very happy to say that Foxy evolved into a Braixen as well as Caterpie Jr. evolved into his final form of Vivillon. That hard training on route 4 really paid off.
    • I've finally arrived to the big city, Lumiose! I'm told that I am to finally meet the professor at his lab. Perhaps this is a good time to formally thank him for giving me Foxy.
    • After the professor evaluated my Pokedex, he challenged me to a battle. He had all 3 starters from the Kanto region, but after all that training we did on route 4, they weren't much of a challenge.
    • After defeating the professor, he decided to give me another Pokemon to help out on my journey. My choice was a Squirtle and I named him Franklin, after the cartoon turtle I used to watch as a child.
    • Unfortunately, adopting Franklin to the team means I have to send one of my Pokemon to the PC Box since I cannot have more than 6 members on my team at a time. I decided to send Treiquon. Perhaps he'll aid me in the future.
    • Well, it was quite a busy day. I finally met the professor, 2 of my Pokemon evolved, we got loads of training done and we gained a new member to our team! I think it's time to rest up. Maybe tomorrow we can get ourselves our second gym badge.

Judgement likes this.
  18. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Still no Condoriano or Shepherd? Perhaps, you're reserving the name to Xerneas or another legendary?

Edinbour likes this.
  19. KKG

KKG
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

And the pokemon is also important,there are lots of them but some only learn attacks with low accuracy or weak.
    Others have poor stats.
    You can't beat Mightyena with things like Beautifly or Dustox even 10 levels above,Breloom will rule there.
    Ninetails and Gyarados are useless.
    Arcanine and Lapras are much better.
    Metagross...i would never use it but i hate when they use it against me:lol:
    Rhydon and Aggron sucks!
    Steelix is overrated.
    Swampert wipes the floor with these 3.
    I guess it's all about our style of playing,i go for 1HKO.

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  20. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That's true. 1-hit KO? I think you need Lapras.