Eiichiro Oda's interview summary ( July 2018 )

Discussion in 'One Piece News' started by Admiral Ryokugyu, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

#21 Seiryu, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    WT*^#&^#)^@#)(*&*!!!! That means he is purposefully taking out content that was supposed to be covered. We literally made no progress in the plot and we magically jumped 10% completion since his last estimate (sure there was some legit manga content, but most of it was the half a year of B.S.). Depressing...but at least I know what to expect...I will say that we all lose as fans if he is taking other parts out just because of the WCI B.S. changes (I would assume the war on Big Mom is shorter and probably has to do with the Jinbei teaser). The optimistic side of me thinks that might be the best situation.
    Edit: I just figured out what I'm gonna comment/ask of Oda through twitter...I think as fans we deserve to know why the sudden change, especially if we are missing/shortening key stuff. Thank god for kanji. Gonna cram as much into the character restriction.

I'm really surprised about all the Kishimoto comments. They had a huge feud (and actually on Oda's part since Oda was jealous of Naruto's popularity overseas). Glad to hear that they became good friends over the past 6 or so years. He is correct in that the statistics say it is very unlikely for any WSJ series to gain so much popularity to stay in serialization for 15+ years though.

I'm hoping for raw text since if this is truly an accurate translation, he is changing the war against Blackbeard. Hopefully he just means more underlings to the Grand Fleet.
    I guess Oda has to change his support for those that get less love (it was Buggy the entire time prior to this interview).

GoldenVenus likes this.
  2. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

☆~Fashion~☆
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Kinda confused at 80%, though maybe it's like with Wano coming in 2017 and the series isn't gonna end up being rushed (I am begging to God this is the case). I mean, Oda did expect the series to only last 5 years when it started.

3. Rika24

Expand Collapse

I just hope he doesn't rush the Elbaf arc when we get to it (or worse, that he decides to cut it completely... It wouldn't be the first time Oda shafted Usopp due to time limits).

4. gboxrkw

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

So is the 80% counted with wano arc or without wano arc ????
    Like if Wano is not included in the 80% then mostly 10% would be the wano arc and 10% final arc or if we count wano as 5% then total 4 arcs will be there mostly wano, elbaf, im-sama, raftel.

5. gboxrkw

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

so basically if we take 912 as 80% then we are likely to get a total 1140 chapters.
    so it can be we might get 1200 as the last chapter.

6. GoldenVenus

I shall rise
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure just what the 80% has covered (up until Reverie or is Wano included as well?) But if he really is taking out some parts that should be there I'm gonna lose my shit. The shitty WCI arc could've been shorter so he could make other important arcs longer (not that I'm saying Sanji isn't important but the entire is just so crappy it's unbearable to me)

Not to mention there's no way he could fit everything in a single arc and there's also no freaking way the final massive war could end in just few multiple chapters. Marineford was still the best to me, so he better make the final war way better. I really have a problem with how things are at the moment, if he truly means that the manga is 80% done.

7. GoldenVenus

I shall rise
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I still don't think Oda can fit everything in like 4 arcs, unless he rushes everything and makes something crappy like WCI, only shorter. Or maybe he sucks at Math?? There's still the thing about the Void Century, Dragon and the RA, and also the final war.

8. gboxrkw

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

exactly we all know the pace oda prefers and he is always into smaller details & if he rush to end the series all those things will be missing and am sure OP fans wont want that to happen.

9. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#29 Admiral Ryokugyu, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    He said 80% is finished with Chapter 911. So Wano is included in the remaining 20%.

Oda is just throwing random percentages as he always does. So just don't pay attention to that guys.

10. Time

bogan scientist
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Wait a second. Oda is the guy that writes One Piece, mate. So I find that last line extremely disrespectful. I get it why some fans are so upset about his or his editor's estimates most of the times but what he said still is something to consider even though it could be more or less inaccurate according to the fans(?). I'm sure you guys always take these estimates with a grain of salt, so why so worked up over it anyways? Estimates are estimates after all.

11. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Expand Collapse

Oh really ?
    Never knew that.

I said nothing disrespectful dude. It's very hard for Oda to give a correct percentage. When those nerds who interview him ask that question it's almost impossible for him to give a correct answer in the very short amount of time he has to think about it, so he just throws a random number because IT IS NOT IMPORTANT. Not really a random number but, it's just not accurate that's all i'm saying.

12. Time

bogan scientist
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That's what I thought as well. He just thought of the number on the spot so it's hardly accurate though you'd think that he should know how much the story is left. That's beside the point though. I was saying the way you worded your post sounds disrespectful towards Oda. Or by "guys", did you mean Oda's editors and interviewers? If so, my apologies then.

13. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

14. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Expand Collapse

Dragon Ball, which is a shonen manga a lot more popular than ONE PIECE, has a protagonist aged 47.

Dafuq is Oda talking about.

15. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Do you want another timeskip, yes or no? Answer but don't explain any further.

He's talking about typical shonen portrayal of characters and he wants it that way. And I think it's not surprising because the series was supposed to be done sometime around 2002 and that the ending has been set.

16. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Expand Collapse

yes i do.

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  17. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I think most of us agree that no matter the exact calculation, this is bad news for us as fans. Which is exactly why I'm going to submit a twitter question tomorrow when I get some free time outside of work.
    Oda is the most meticulous character I have ever heard described (by-far exceeds anyone I've met in person and I've met some extremely eccentric people through work). His editors can be safely ignored since I agree that they only provide promotionally twisted/biased info. Oda has (at least prior to WCI B.S.) been completely honest and valid with his answers. Assuming he is being honest will all of these answers, we are losing as fans.

Gyojin Island was a true halfway point (the first major estimate I can think of) and the only other I know of was the recent 70% estimate (which was following the same pace of chapters and plot progress). The fact that Oda himself thinks we made 10% of plot progress is the problem itself. He's the one writing it. He fully controls everything, so I don't see any other explanation other than cutting out other parts (wishful thinking that this is only limited to the war against Big Mom).

GoldenVenus likes this.
  18. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Allow me to share something, I despise Oda for delaying Jinbe mainly because it looks unfair to him and to the crew and that the crew needs him to complete the monsters to clash with Yonko M3s. But, what can I do? I can rant all day but it will change nothing.

I just hope that Oda won't cut short Elbaf (Usopp Year), Vegapunk (Franky Year) and the meeting between Straw Hat Pirates and Revolutionary Army. By the way, I have a feeling that there won't be a huge arc focused for the Big Mom Pirates rematch, as well as a build-up for the Red Hair Pirates confrontation.

19. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Expand Collapse

I know, i'm just giving my opinion. Talking about the story and sharing opinions is one of the reasons why this forum exists, isn't it ? If we were just to read this thing and no one was to share his ideas then even chapter reviews wouldn't exist. Nothing of what we say will change Oda's mind, that's very obvious, trying to justify it is like trying to demonstrate an axiom.

20. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yes, that's true. Just saying that there are some things that we can't control and we should prepare for more changes in the story in the future.

Admiral Ryokugyu likes this.