1. OPF's 2nd One Piece Character Popularity Poll has arrived! Vote NOW!
  2. Participate in the OPForum's Secret Santa HERE!
  3. Vote now for the Monthly PAW November 2019!
  4. We have a NEW subforum for Dr. Stone! Check it out!
  5. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Eiichiro Oda's Interview with GHIBLI Magazine

Discussion in 'One Piece General' started by kazuko.i, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kazuko.i

falling star
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Eiichiro Oda's Interview with GHIBLI Magazine
    (Source: http://onepiece.ria10.com/Entry/3206/ / Translation: rio poneglyph from the http://opforum.net)​

[​IMG]

Eiichiro Oda: ''The special work connecting past and future is exactly the One Piece that I've been drawing.''

I'm a Hayao Miyazaki fan, it's a great happiness to see his drawings, which gave me huge satisfaction after visiting this exhibit.

When I was a child, most of the WSJ series didn't have much coherence in terms of their stories. Both mangakas and readers only cared about the amusement without taking the coherence of story into consideration. That said, when I became a mangaka, the story I wanted to draw should be clear and coherent. Nowadays, readers are fastidious. I feel this trend is like the closer the readers see, the better they are. Maybe it's because adults started to read what originally belonged to the kids.

Mangakas began to organize content because they wanted to get approval from those adult readers. But there's a nonexistent rule for creating a story that everything of it must cohere as a whole and there must be foreshadowing. Free imagination, on the other hand, is what will make readers happy and should exist.

I'm currently drawing a story about a toy soldier. Speaking of toys, the common impression is they'll be broken one day. Unlike humans, they won't recover. It's also unusual to fix it. This kind of illusory feeling isn't bad.

I started drawing with imagination as well. This time (Dressrosa), I first drew a scene where Toy Soldier and a little girl walk forward holding hands. Later every step progresses from this point. My impression of soldiers, to put it bluntly, is they're dead men. Drawing a young girl next to the toy soldier makes it feel alive.

Girls are usually more fragile and in need of help, for sure. It's even more so when I think about my daughter. The impact of environment is significant. I couldn't have imagined drawing a parent-child story before I got married. (rio: As it says 'Art comes from life, and goes beyond life.')

There's a female character, Nico Robin, when drawing that respective arc for her, I was taken aback because it was the first time drawing a parent-child story. Up until then, I had never thought of drawing something like it. When I look around, my wife is there, my daughter is there, I can't remember since when my impression of parent-child has changed from my parents to my wife and daughter.

As for manga, it does happen that someone's story is a repetition of another completely unknown one. More likely to happen when it comes to long serialization.

There'll be some same motives in mangakas' mind to put stuff happening around, historical background or one's own thoughts into his manga. I'll of course take it for granted, but it also influences the society. When there's a depression/recession, manga with optimistic content would be popular. It's always simple to accept things that walk towards the opposite direction of the era. I'll more look forward to having a look at that unimaginable ideal world only when I feel painful.

Last words said to Hayao Miyazaki, whichever way you choose, I hope you keep drawing, I really want to see it.

2. Owl

Owl
    Shichibukai Supernova Captain First Mate Navigator Helmsman Crew Member Apprentice Member
    Expand Collapse

Nice reading. Thank you again for the translation, rio! :smile:

3. xLuffy

Expand Collapse

thanks rio for information!:dance::spin:;)

4. 10thMember

GRIN'S OWNER
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for translating. Ehehehe :smile:

5. CruelKammy

Expand Collapse

Very cool to hear what Oda thinks about the way manga has changed over the years.

Thanks for the translation :]

6. kazuko.i

falling star
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

I saw some criticism about Oda haing sexism towards women elsewhere. I think I need to clarify that a bit.

This sentence is edited by Owl. (Please dont blame me for telling it, Owl. :))
    I initially wrote 'Girls are those who always expect to be saved, for sure'. (Sounds the same...? :P)

okay... Original script is '助けられるのは女の子がいいんですよ、きっと。'
    If anyone knows Japanese, please do correct me if I'm wrong.
    My understanding is:
    'What's certain is if there's someone who expects to get saved (either physically or mentally from a situation that one's not willing to be kept in), it should be woman/girl/female.'
    Considering he said this after he mentioned toy solider and the little girl (Rebecca), (ofc you've seen their flashbacks and you know what a girl Rebecca is when it comes to his father, Kyros), Oda's words are absolutely nothing to do with 'sexism', it's more related to the relationship between father and daughter, which is this whole parent-child thing about. Also, the role of a mother (Scarlett) is the same in this case, in other words, it's more of a family matter.

7. Mansi14

Expand Collapse

With what you translated the clarification is fair enough :D :P

8. kazuko.i

falling star
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Hope so. ;)
    If every time clarification/explanation has to be added after translation, it'd kill me. :P

9. Mansi14

Expand Collapse

Translating all that must be really tough!! :eek::eek::spin::unsure:

And i guess majority of people don't go in small details such as that, as girls in need of help isn't anything new or critical imo...:P
    Oda is clearly revealing that his family helped him in coming with the parent/child concept...I don't know how to explain what i actually mean...
    But criticizing about sexism from a single statement can be over thinking too...
    *no offences*

10. kazuko.i

falling star
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

It's alright, not a problem.

Agreed. :)

11. LAWless

Expand Collapse

Good Read :)

12. Razz

Expand Collapse

How is that not sexist?

"It should be woman/girl/female"

No it shouldn't. It can just as easily be a guy. It's degrading to women.

SPOILER FROM THE LATEST MANGA CHAPTER:
    I am kinda pissed that Rebecca had to get saved by a dude. She couldn't finish off her adversary on her own?

In fact, why did Kyros HAVE to be a guy? He couldn't simply be a SHE? So it can be proven that women can be as strong. Because if Oda is saying a woman cannot be as strong as a man, than that is sexist. Which is one of the reason's my wife quit watching One Piece, she noticed his increasing sexism and sexual objectivity he has been having lately in One Piece, especially when New World started. She loves the story, but she gets angry when her gender is being misrepresented more and more.

To quote my wife:
    "How would the men like it if all the male characters had super large groins? And they kept getting larger each arc. Would they be happy with cartoonishly-bulging groins bouncing around as the male characters went about their day? No, they'd be outraged. It's the same for women. Making all the women super-boobs, almost naked, and weak when compared to the males is not right. It's wrong."

13. Zhya

Helmsman Crew Member Apprentice Member
    Expand Collapse

In my understanding, Oda when referred to girls, he was talking about young girls, because he then refers to his daughter. I thought he was talking about the relationship daughter-father, because he is doing that kind of relationship in the manga now.

SPOILER OF LATEST MANGA CHAPTER:
    between Rebecca and Kyros. Rebecca was a fragile girl, but she grew into a pretty good fighter. Are you forgetting about the fact that she ended up in the final of the colosseum when she was such a fragile little girl in the past and all the blocks were mostly strong male characters? She had the will to go there and done, the will to do something can be stronger than physical strength. What's wrong about her having a breakdown in front of the guy that killed her mother? I didn't look at it like, "oh, she was saved by a dude", I looked at it like, "oh, she was saved by her father, which she didn't even know that existed until some recent events, who is trying to protect his daughter and avenge a member of his family".

I'm not saying that Oda doesn't exaggerate sometimes, but I believe that he has being highly misinterpreted recently. People forget how many charismatic and strong female characters he developed. Sure, you will see a lot of huge breasts, just like you will see Zoro without a shirt a lot of times. Fan service plays a big role in a lot of anime/manga, for both female and male audiences.

14. Owl

Owl
    Shichibukai Supernova Captain First Mate Navigator Helmsman Crew Member Apprentice Member
    Expand Collapse

This is going to get out of hand and I had to edit some posts to avoid spoilers. I'm going to close this thread, anyway, the interview is old and I'm afraid these posts are going to ruin the story to many anime-only viewers who are going to read this thread. If anyone feels like it, feel free to discuss this whole "sexist" matter in a new thread, but refer in the title that it's not spoiler free (or create it in the manga section).

~ closed.

EDIT:

@"Lionheart" created a thread here: http://opforum.net/showthread.php?tid=6860 ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.