Eiichiro Oda's second interview

Discussion in 'One Piece News' started by Admiral Ryokugyu, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

What are your thoughts on this long voyage that has spanned 21 years and over 900 chapters?

I’m surprised whenever the recipients of Jump’s Newcomer Manga Awards or the staff at our office tell me, “I was born after One Piece started.” I’m slowly getting used to it, though.

Is there a reason why the story keeps chugging along without a moment’s rest?

It’s probably because the characters just do as they please… When the series first started, I thought about having the crewmate-gathering process be like a video game where after you defeat a villain, they join your team. But after seriously interacting with other people, I realized that if some kid were to suddenly tell me, “Let’s become pirates!”, I wouldn’t go along with it. Unless he had a compelling story, I would not join his crew. In the beginning, I was planning to have 10 people join the crew within the first year and a half. After 20 years, the story’s at around the 80% mark, yet there are only 9 crewmates thus far.

Oda-san, what kind of existence is Luffy to you?

Luffy is my ideal child. I wish all children could be like him. He says some inspirational lines from time to time, but in the end, I want him to stay a child forever. There are some parts of him that are still a mystery, even to me. It be problematic if that weren’t the case. If I could understand everything, I’d have no use for any readers.

Please tell us who your favorite character is.

I like older-sister characters like Ivankov and Bon Clay, who saved Luffy and the others in Impel Down. No matter what they do, there’s an interesting dichotomy between their actions and their appearance, and that makes me want to draw them more. I also adore Buggy, who’s annoying but cunning.

I’m grateful that my characters are so popular among females, but at the end of the day, I just want to draw things that young male readers will find cool and interesting. For example, Sanji’s not only cool, he’s also perverted. That’s why I can trust that he’s well-liked among fellow males.

The death of Luffy’s brother Ace hit readers hard.

I was really worried about this. In order for Luffy to move forward, I needed him to experience a major ordeal. The response I got from readers surpassed my expectations. [Ace’s death] was something that I had to get over, together with Luffy. I mean, if it was all fun and games, the series wouldn’t have lasted this long.

Broadly speaking, not many enemies and allies had died up until that point, which made it even more shocking.

I don’t want to draw scenes where people die, I just want to draw those post-battle feasts. Because, if someone died, you wouldn’t be able to have a fun feast. Those feasts are my image of the ideal friendship. I want to cap things off with a massive feast at the end.

Following Ace’s death, the “3D2Y” message that Luffy sent out marked a big turning point.

17-year-old Luffy didn’t stand a chance of beating powerful enemies like the Yonko. I needed to use a 2-year timeskip to help Luffy and his crew grow by expanding their imagination. I had the reunion take place after only 2 years because I didn’t want Luffy to become too much of an adult. This has to remain a shonen manga, after all.

Luffy dreams of becoming the Pirate King, but what does that mean?

On one hand, Luffy believes that the Pirate King is “the person who has the most freedom in the world.” On the other hand, Luffy always acts on behalf of others. He thinks it’s cool to help the people in front of him. If he can make other people feel better, he’ll be happy himself. And then, those he helped will return the favor. I believe that this samurai spirit—having a chivalrous heart that beats for others—should be passed down to future generations.

That’s why I love old yakuza movies. In fact, I think the most handsome man in the world is Bunta Sugawara-san (the model for Fleet Admiral Akainu).

What would you like to tell all the children to help them realize their dreams?

My rule is to never put any messages in my manga. But if you feel something from seeing Luffy and his crew, then I want you to react accordingly. Among 100 different people, there should be 100 different reactions.

2. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

How come any time I read any interviews with Oda, I respect him more?

Oh, wait.. Maybe because he is a GOD! :)

3. ZakNik

Legendary God of Speed
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

One day I will meet this guy

Marine slasher and Pacquiao8 like this.
  4. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Will we survive to see the end? This is quite close. If 20y is 80%, 25y is 100%. Right? That's very close.

Edinbour likes this.
  5. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

This :luffy:

Edinbour likes this.
  6. Behnam

The one who wants CHOIce
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Not maybe though, clearly he is the God, there's no doubt.

Edinbour likes this.
  7. Judgement

Winners never quit, quitters never win.
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I hope it's gonna be a banger of a finale!

Chaudfontaine likes this.
  8. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

4-5 more years buddy, unless Oda pulls another Rabbit out of the Hat ;)

9. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Or a rabbit from the attic ;););) #wci

10. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Glad to read this since it seems like a much more accurate translation vs. what was implied from earlier discussions. I'm also glad to read that Oda is still driven by his original motivation (morals), but damn sad to realize he no longer has the same motivation as the first 21 years (the reason for the secret twitter question collection). I gotta be Debbie downer and point out that we will not get the finale we imagine if Oda doesn't rekindle his love for his "child". He is by far not even close to a god, nor does he want to be called one (he hates being called Oda-sensei for the exact same rationale). I have no idea what it is, but Oda is showing signs of giving in to the unimaginable pressure placed on him from the fans, WSJ, and fellow mangaka.

I can only hope the outpour of appreciation get Oda out of whatever funk his editor is noticing. This has much less to do with my fandom, but everything to do with Oda's mental well-being.

11. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

So this closes the infamous argument about the interpretation of Luffy's statement in the beginning regarding getting 10 people: Luffy did not include himself from the count.

Admiral Ryokugyu likes this.
  12. gboxrkw

Expand Collapse

i dont know why but just reading about oda answering some basic questions makes me so happy ;)

13. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

then i'll make sure to post every future Oda's interviews. I'm glad that makes you happy.

Chill024 likes this.
  14. Mo3MaR

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Ohh the part when he answered about the antagonist dying really hit our country writer's story line.. Its been a long time I watched our local TV and became bored of it... There's always a horror ending when antagonist tries to kill the protagonist .. At the end of fighting protagonist wins then the antagonist die.. After that a huge celebration will be held (usually wedding or family reunion) and they'll live happily ever after.. So boring , when I was a child this is the story and still continuing nowadays.. Now I am 22 it feels stupid, then I am hooked to the works of international .. But don't get me wrong I don't despise the works of our local artist.. I just think isn't there more things you could apply to make the stories revolve on its own not going in the same direction as those first work of art?

Admiral Ryokugyu likes this.
  15. Judgement

Winners never quit, quitters never win.
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Reading this gives me confidence for the future of One Piece tbh