1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

"Five Devil Fruits" that can grant the Flight Ability?

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga' started by Pacquiao8, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Remember what Pell said about the five DFs? Is it literally just five?
    1. Tori Tori no Mi (only birds that can fly)
    2. Fuwa Fuwa no Mi (including its superior/inferior DF, if any)
    3. Mushi Mushi no Mi (only bugs that can fly)
    4. Ryu Ryu no Mi (only dragons that can fly)
    5. ?

2. Monkey D. Ruffy

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Fuwa fuwa no mi allows you to float. It isn’t the same as flying, or is it?

1. Bird type fruits
    2. Insect type fruits
    3. Gravity manipulation fruits
    4. Some logia fruits can make u fly(kizaru and enel)
    5. And idk

3. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Floating is a limited flying so it's similar in a way.

I'm quite skeptical with the inclusion of Gravity-based DF since we have yet to see it used for personal flight without objects used.

Logia, it's technically not flying since an element can't fly, just a free-form movement. I mean, we can't say that "the light is flying" or something to that effect.

Good possible list though.

4. KKG

KKG
    I hate every haters of the anime in my avatar
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

There are DFs from the 3 types that will allow flight.
    Gravity manipulation can be used on object or on the user,i think Fujitora can create an anti gravitational field around him so he can fly too.
    Luffy has a way to fly using his balloon world.

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  5. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

If someone can give me a chapter number, I can go back to the raw and translate the original text. I'm completely blanking on this conversation, although I know how he talks about his ability to fly is rare (which made sense with no modern technology in that point of the series).

6. Captain_tatsumaki

Expand Collapse

That would be bufallo who ate the Spin-spin fruit

7. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Just negate his personal gravity and his DF is now the bona fide superior version of Shiki's DF.

Forgot the exact chapter, but he did told exactly 5.

Not counting that one since there has to be a physical adjustment in his body for him to be able to fly. In his case, he has to make his body shape like a propeller.

Captain_tatsumaki likes this.
  8. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Assuming the translation is correct, then the quote has to reflect the original 5 year plan where we don't have the vast universe of characters and different powers/abilities. This explains why we have more than 5 fruit abilities with some level of "flight". Technically Luffy is flying in Gear Fourth as well.

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  9. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, but I think it's safer only to count those which will automatically grant a user the flight ability without some additional training (e.g. Gaseous Logias, Luffy's DF, Buffalo's DF, Robin's DF, Doflamingo's DF, etc.). That is, if 5 hasn't change.

Seiryu likes this.
  10. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I 100% agree, but technically (Sabo and Kaku are perfect examples) every ability user has to go through training. Any bird or flying animal zoan still requires "training" to use it correctly (not fall from an extreme height and die). Even by that count, I think we are over 5. We got Pell, Marco, and the multiple bug based Dressrosa Dwarfs off the top of my head.

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  11. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That's why I believe it's categorized not by individual DFs but by family. What Pell told is 5 "flying abilities", not fruits.

Seiryu likes this.
  12. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Chapter 169 page 17. He says flying powers. This came up elsewhere and reminded me that I never replied when this thread first came out because I was flummoxed by the whole dinosaurs and dragons aren’t classified separately thing. Even if they’re put together, why would you put the dinosaurs under the dragons? Like I’d rather say that all dragons are dinosaurs but not all dinosaurs are dragons. That’s better than the alternative. The way he does it makes dragons less special than dinosaurs. Guess that’s just me. So when my knee jerk response was disqualified, I forgot about the thread. My bad. Anyways, there’s the information that you requested, @Seiryu. Isn’t Marco’s fruit a tori tori no mi model mythical phoenix? He should count under the tori tori no mi category, right? upload_2019-1-19_19-21-48.jpeg

Seiryu and Pacquiao8 like this.
  13. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for providing that page! Yes, I think each abilities are categorized, limiting the count into 5.

14. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I'm glad @Kia provided the page so I could look up the raw. It is not Pell talking, it is just some random BW baddie (who gives us the information makes a huge difference on how big of an impact it is going to make on the rest of the series). The exact kanji that is used is 種 (shu = types, kind, variety, or species if referring to biological classification; throwing in the species aspect since it may be relevant despite not being the "primary" translation/usage of the word) with the raw text being 5種.

So ultimately, the raw context reinforces my initial post on this being a detail in the original, original 5-year plan. This probably is not relevant now because of the popularity forcing the expansion of more and more characters. Oda, per his norm, covers his butt by the "discovered" aspect. Luffy using massive propulsion in Gear Fourth would easily fit into the "undiscovered" parts and thus not a contradiction. Unless it comes up in a SBS, I don't think he covers what the original 5 classifications are.

So my bias immediately jumps to a broader classification system than the list Pac-man made. I think all flying animals would be one, so my list still leaves room for more options/Oda's creativity.

1) All flying animals/creatures (any zoan with flight)
    2) Gravity altering abilities
    3) Indirect propulsion/thrust abilities (Luffy comes to mind)
    4) Not true flight abilities (Doffy, Kizaru, etc.)
    5) I'm not that creative...

I do want to expand on Kizaru. It is key that he can only materialize when he reflects off of a mirror. Thus, he can only "fly" when he has multiple reflective surfaces. He literally is just a ray of light if he accidentally becomes light in the open sky/open ocean (i.e. he literally could just travel off into space and never return). Oda gave a huge limitation to the otherwise completely overpowering ability (I still don't think he is anywhere close to the true scientific speed of light, just like how Kuma's teleportation is not completely instantaneous).

Pacquiao8 likes this.