1. Participate in the Monthly PAW May 2018 with a special category for our anniversary!
  2. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

FLCL (Fooly Cooly)

Discussion in 'Anime Series' started by Shanks, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Shanks

Expand Collapse

Am I the only one who didn't like this OVA-series?
    It's...freaking weird. And even though that might be the point, the randomness wasn't entertaining at all. Only scene I remember that I liked was the one where they went manga-style.

For those who are interested:

FLCL

[​IMG]

2. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

I watched it recently. It was good and with a good OST (man, it made me a huge fan of the pillows). I didn't think that it was a masterpiece like many, it was pretty decent for me, but nothing much.

3. Shanks

Expand Collapse

I watched it like a month ago, and it was watchable. Nothing I regret watching or anything, but I didn't really dig the type of randomness this series had.

4. Captain Stickman

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

One of my favorite animes. I really liked the feeling mixing music and mechas in a random flow of happenings. I'm not a proper fan of mechas but I liked to see them in Fooly Cooly. Haruko is one my favorite characters too and her Vespa and Gibson make her so interesting, even though she is fucking random. I really liked and enjoyed watching FLCL.

And yeah, the pillows was a good discovery. Can't you feel ~~ Can't you feel my hybrid rainbow ~~

5. Moman

Most in love with Tashigi (Young Fool is a liar)
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#5 Moman, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    It was quite odd to say the least (or maybe the most, actually).

The most interesting things about it were the two attractive female "leads" who kept giving the main character a very happy childhood. The anime started to make a little sense in the last episode, which made me happy for a bit, but it ended immediately after.
    I wasn't too happy about the fact that the two "interesting things" randomly ditched Naota at the end. I felt terrible for him.

I did, however, enjoy the ending, which I didn't skip once. The music is good and the video is soothing to watch for some reason (the camera shots are great, too).

6. Date Damon

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Another weird thing from Japan. I hate anime like this. Random, nonsensical, labelled comedy but isn't funny a bit. I only watched the first episode.

7. Yumavo Cado

Tinyhands McSchnuffin
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I am one of "those guys" who'd call this a masterpiece. Awesome visuals in a seemingly random flow of events, but really it's a coming of age story packed to the brim with metaphors about growing up, spiced up with humour and sexual innuendo. One of a kind, as far as I can tell. Don't even get me started on the OST which has to be one of the most amazing anime soundtracks.

Moman likes this.
  8. Pararrara

Expand Collapse

Should I continue FLCL?I dropped it after 1 episode.It's really stupid and weird for me.

9. Yumavo Cado

Tinyhands McSchnuffin
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I mean it is only six episodes... But if you didn't like episode 1, chances are you won't like the rest either. I for one loved episode 1 to bits already.

10. Yumavo Cado

Tinyhands McSchnuffin
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I felt differently about this. Mamimi and Haruko were essential parts of the show, but I think not quite in the way you viewed them.
    Mamimi was like a remnant of childhood. She was the ex-girlfriend of Naota's older brother, so she always saw Naota as a kid and used him to fill the void that his older brother had left when he went to the US. I think she was a symbolism for Naota's childhood in that, as in a bit of his past. Haruko on the other hand was a completely new experience, a completely new person, a stranger. She helped Naota "swing the bat" which would be a metaphor for starting to make your own decisions or maturity, something like that. She was a symbolism for adulthood. Something that Naota wants to get, but he isn't quite there yet, as Haruko lets him know in the end before she leaves earth: "You're still a kid, after all", something along those lines. At the end, both Mamimi (childhood) and Haruko (adulthood) have left town, leaving Naota right where he belongs: adolescence. A story about Naota growing up.

Agree about the ending song, it's so good.

11. Marco Polo

despacito
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Just finished watching this

Watched it based on good ol Cado sensei's recommendations and I was not disappointed, there's a lot of good stuff going on

I love the OST, I think it fits perfectly and it adds a lot to the show

As for the story itself, I didn't really begin to work it out until around the end of episode 3, but once you work it out it almost makes sense I guess? I mean, I've literally just watched it so I'm still working it out but there's a whole lotta metaphors in just 6 episodes
    The fact that it made me think that much is super cool, and it's not something I usually get out of an anime
    Piecing together all the details we're given and working out what the show actually represents is kinda difficult because there's so much randomness going on but once you understand what the show is representing it's pretty satisfying

It's a clever way of representing the start of the "growing up" process, but it only seems clever and stuff once you work out what's going on behind all the weirdness with the robots and stuff

All in all, FLCL is pretty dang unique and it's also pretty dang fun to watch

Yumavo Cado likes this.
  12. Marco Polo

despacito
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

TRAILERS for FLCL: Progressive (Apparently the name for the next couple of seasons)

Toonami's trailer (English):

Japanese:

I'm really glad they got The Pillows back for this

13. servo

Expand Collapse

I loved the show, it just blows away your worries its pretty awkward though buy HELLARIOUS