1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Game of Thrones: Spoilers Ahead!!!

Discussion in 'Media' started by Zeek, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

So I'm definitely not the first person to do this but I would really like to strike up a discussion about this current season as it airs and talk about the different possibilities. I decided to take a look at the twenty different characters shown sitting on the throne in the promotional posters. I'm grouping them from least likely to rule all the way to my #1 preference.

Red means I believe they will die before the series ends anyways. Pink means that, after events in the show, they've been eliminated from contention for some reason other than death.

Not happening, no way, why even pretend like they have a chance:
    • Lord Varys - Look, I know he is extremely intelligent and has ridiculous connections. Unfortunately for him he's the type of guy that hitches his wagon to a leader; he doesn't pull the wagon himself. His inability to have children would likely cause the "wheel" to spin into chaos again once he passed away. Plus, we've already been given enough death flags that I think it's safe to wager Varys doesn't survive this harsh winter. He hasn't been very impressive since following Dany and he serves too similar of a role to Tyrion.
    • Missandei - I think her character arc is all but completed. This season is likely to be filled with death and sadness so the disposable characters should be far from safe. There's no logical explanation I can come up with to justify her sitting on the Iron Throne by the end of the series. She's not a brave warrior, not a brilliant tactician, doesn't have any type of claim, and it would require some awful decisions to land her on the throne.
    • Melisandre - She is too old and too boring to even consider for the throne. Plus, like Varys, she's already foreseen her own death. Her character arc isn't completed yet so I don't picture an early death. Though she helped with the return of Jon, I think she still has some things to do to redeem herself for her immoral decisions.
    • Ser Jorah - I have absolutely no clue what will happen of Jorah and I don't particularly care. He's not a particularly fascinating character and now that his friend-zone with Dany is official he's utterly useless. However, I think it would have been a waste of screen time to cure him of the stoneman disease only to kill him now. Very interested and where he'll end up but I don't think it's dead and he seems to have no aspirations for the throne.
    • Grey Worm - He'll fight, he'll die. No arc for him really, he got laid. The end.
    Could logically happen, but won't or shouldn't
    • Bran Stark- this is both an easy and difficult character to attempt a prediction. He's not taking the Iron Throne; he doesn't want to and his support would be virtually non-existent. He's not dying; he's come too far and taken up too much screen time to kill off a paralyzed boy. Now, he might become incapacitated or changed in some manner but his conscious will remain in some form. I really hope the theories of him becoming the Ice King in some weird time loop isn't correct. I also really hope something snatches him out of his all-knowing weirdness and he can be friendly with his family again; I'd also like if he somehow regained his ability to walk but I don't see it happening since the show is pretty final with it's dismemberment and decisions. The reason he's not in the previous category is because with his wisdom he could rule over the kingdoms and if some tragic things occur he could be the ultimate weapon with his odd abilities. I just don't think that would be a fun or wise narrative decision.
    • Euron Greyjoy - He's positioned himself quite well as we've seen and now Cersei will con him into thinking that he is the baby-daddy. The Golden Company is legitimate but I believe Euron is the type to make bargains and deals he believes he could weasel out of eventually. Simply put, he's pulled too many dick moves to not get some type of comeuppance. I believe Theon will quite gloriously kill this douche.
    • The Hound - I think, based off the love of the fans, The Hound should not only win the Clegane-Bowl but he should also make it out alive. He's awesome and still hasn't really found peace yet. Likely he would kill his brother and end his life happily chilling in some small tribe protecting those around him. He's a good boi deep down. That being said, he doesn't have any type of claim to the throne and no desire towards it either. Theoretically he could end up on the throne as a fan favorite and could be a way to break the wheel by having a commoner of sorts taking the reins. He's almost in the previous category admittedly but I really like him.
    • Sansa Stark - I'm hoping we get a timeskip of sorts because I believe Sansa will continue to rule as the Lord in the North. She will likely have a bunch of children and bring their family back to a more prominent standing and size. She's shown the ability to lead, though I hate her actress and portrayal, and she's unlikely to die since the other Starks don't seem to fit in a leadership position (Jon ain't a Stark people).
    • Theon Greyjoy - He owes a debt that can't ever really be repaid to the Starks. That being said, I believe his death while protecting one of them is about the only way his character can be fully redeemed. Since he let Sansa get raped, I would put my money on him saving her at some point. He saved his sister, no saving the future of the Starks is his next best bet. There is a route, which would take a lot of redemption, where he could use his position and motivation to be a rather level-headed leader of Westeros. It would be one hell of a twist though and again, like Varys, he couldn't produce an heir to his throne (again assuming they'll continue to have rulers based off bloodline moving forward).
    • Tyrion Lannister - If HBO has the manhood to kill Tyrion I'll be floored. He's too much of an author and fan favorite to go anywhere. It would be nice to see him reclaim his status as "the smartest guy in the room" and to be a little more chippy again. There's no way Braun will go through with killing him but it'll make good television. I believe that he'll be left with a responsibility I'll mention later in this post. Him becoming ruler is all but impossible, he has the name but at this point his sister has ruined their reputation beyond repair and he's always been shown as more of a support-role.
    • The Night King - Look, it's incredibly unlikely but it could happen. If we didn't feel like there was a chance then it wouldn't be very exciting. I do think, somehow, he'll be a sympathetic villain when it comes down to it. I think he'll die and the good guys will come out on top but we could be left with hurt feelings; that possibility is quite exciting.
    It would be quite interesting and I wouldn't hate it
    • Arya Stark - She's definitely not dying and we'll get to see her use those sweet murder skills some more. If she took over the Iron Throne it would be in a scenario where almost none of the "good guys" are left standing. I think she is smart enough, strong enough, and she is a Stark. However, she doesn't have the desire and I don't think this would be the best logical route.
    • Brienne of Tarth - Here is an interesting one for me. I don't think it'll happen but she'd be a good choice if you're looking for someone outside of the main houses. Not being shown in the first episode isn't promising though. I think she lives for sure; in fact I think she'd be an excellent candidate to become the leader of the Kingsguard. She's smart, strong, skilled, and pretty flawless morally.
    • Cersei Lannister - Remember when I brought up comeuppance? There's no way Cersei comes out alive; she eliminated that possibility the moment she told Braun to kill both of her brothers. I do believe her child will be born before she dies and then Tyrion will raise the kid and restore the Lannisters to become an honorable and powerful house again; this time they'll do it the right way. Back to Cersei, there just isn't a way anyone can live happily until she is gone; she's going to pay her debts.
    • Daenerys Targaryen - I think she's a brat and not overly likeable. Everytime we forget that she's a little bit of a tyrant the authors quickly remind us. She isn't the hero and really her best use is that she has dragons. When she learns about Jon's actual origins I don't think she's going to take kindly to them. Also, I don't think she is particularly fit to rule. She's naive, not the brightest, impulsive, emotional, demanding, and not too far off from being a Cersei. Some will be sad when she dies, I'll be relieved.
    • Ser Davos - I think he's similar to Brienne. If they really want to find someone with good morals, small family, and a fair leader he could be a possible winner. Unfortunately he is older and I don't think he has much motivation to take the position. He's been a supporter for quite some time.
    • Jaime Lannister - Look, he's cool and all but I don't think he survives the full series. He simply has done too many jacked up things to come back from. A lot of the negative things in the world of Westeros wouldn't have happened without him. I do believe he'll be the one to kill Cersei and, in a way, redeem his family in the process. He's a good guy more or less now but he's just done too many stupid things for the love of his sister. IF he could somehow survive everything, I think he'd make a decent king with the right people around him.
    • Sam Tarly - Personally, his death wouldn't phase me even a little bit. Every second spent with his character feels like a waste of time. How the hell did he stay with the guards and still not lose weight? His relationship with the wilding is kind of cringey. Now his one positive connection, to Jon Snow, is on the rocks. I do think he'll die because he's a wholesome character that represents the importance of wisdom in the series. He'll likely be a valuable council member to whomever is the new ruler.
    Finally, the one true king that I believe in...
    • Jon Snow - Okay so this is far from being a "sexy" pick. I think the guy who has united never before united armies and risen from death is the future of the kingdom. Now he has the rightful claim to the throne (something I don't actually like because the whole point should be that birthright doesn't = ideal leader). Still, he's just such a golden boy in the series. He's too trusting though but that's why I believe he'll have a solid support staff around him by the end of the series. Winterfell really isn't his home anymore and I can't picture him trying to push Sansa out of the way to lead it. If the show wanted to kill Jon off they already had their chance to do it in rather heartbreaking fashion. The best part about Jon winning? He doesn't want to do so. Reluctant leaders are often the best (George Washington) and they're also the kind to avoid becoming power hungry jerks.
    ***BONUS***
    Here's the council I could see helping Jon rule Westeros:

Arya Stark - rumor, informat, assassin. Think about it, she's like a Varys with insane abilities and killing prowess. She would also be an interesting bridge between societies with Essos. I can't imagine her just going back to a regular ho-hum lifestyle.

Sam Tarly - Archmaester and advisor. He'll be a G by the end of things. Yay reading!

Brienne of Tarth - I really think she'd be great as a leader of the Kingsguard

Tyrion Lannister - He'll bring Casterly Rock back to it's greatness and start rebuilding the Lannister name. I believe a reborn Lannister clan under his leadership could be a great thing. I'm sure he'd be an advisor of some sorts but I'd like for him to mainly be in his kingdom fixing things.

Bran Stark - I'd like his personality to return and to serve as a guide for Jon in some ways.

2. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

#2 Chaudfontaine, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Bonus:
    FB_IMG_1555595526950.jpg

Agreed that cersei is going to die. On the other hand, if you want to set an example in a story, you just have to punish/shame shame shame her again

R1pp3r D. Pervert and Zeek like this.
  3. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I've been on the fence about watching it (I've seen a few episodes) but I heard that this will be it's final season so I may have to check it out. I hate binge watching shows that aren't done because having to wait months for new episodes is torture :P

Zeek likes this.
  4. Ghent

Expand Collapse

There is only 3 more episodes though, the fourth is coming today, which means you've got 2 more weeks to binge watch the show ;) I've got a lot of spoilers on my answer to Zeek though, make sure you avoid reading !

What did you think about last episode though @Zeek ? I found it really cool, one of the best episode of the show to me.
    Kinda like the way how Theon did is first and last heroic action in the entire show Aha! And RIP Jorah, died in the friend zone...
    Melissandre words to Arya were interesting too, she did say the same back to season 3, but it's to obvious to guess that the last pair of eyes she mentionned is Cersei, I would'nt like if Arya kill her, not just because it's obvious, but coz I'd like to see someone else doing it (Jaime or Tyrion, for instance).

About who's gonna sit on the throne, I'd say Jon as well, but it might be something we haven't think of yet. Remember when Tyrion, Davos and Varys were talking in Winterfell, they said something like it might be a good idea if they rule together. I dunno why, but I'am thinking that both of them could rule, together.

And about the white walkers and the Night King, well, I wouldn't be that disappointed if it's really the end for them, however I'd like to have an other tv show or something showing how did it starts with them and the children of the forest. I mean, we know how they've been created, but it would be nice to know why, how, they started to be out of control, wouldn't it ?

Zeek and Edinbour like this.
  5. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

When I could see it, I loved it. Otherwise it was just so dark during crucial moments!
    I've never hated Theon, he's been in a lot of lose-lose situations. Him turning on the Starks is the only thing I hated while I understood the rest of his actions. I was very pleased when Bran told him he was a good man.
    Yes, RIP but I think that's the best way for him to go out. Warriors should die in battle protecting what they love.
    Yeah, the prophecies are almost never correct or completely correct. It would be lame if she killed both the Night King and Cersei. If it were just Cersei it would be fine but otherwise she steals the entire show. Has to be Jamie for him to redeem himself.
    I still can't fully come to terms with Jon winning... it would be kind of cheesy. Varys is gonna dieeeee lol.
    I believe the spin-off takes place in the past so maybe we get answers there? Though I hate prequels because you know who lives and dies.

6. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

What I got wrong:
    Greyworm lived, the Hound died, and Ser Davos lived.

What I got right:
    Most of the deaths I predicted were correct and even my council wasn't too far off with Sam and Brienne both doing what I figured they would. Tyrion being hand of the king made sense as well and I somewhat expected that to be the case. I do imagine that he's technically the leader of Castlery Rock.

What I didn't expect at all:
    Bran being the King was a curveball with very little hints as to it happening beforehand. I agreed it needed to be someone that didn't want it and it needed to be done in a semi-democratic sort of method.

Braun being the master of coin makes perfect sense but I would have never guessed it would happen.

Jon returning to the Night's Watch was kind of lame. I think it could have been written in a way where he went down that same path but without being forced to do so. He did tell Tormund that he wished he could join them.

Arya exploring the world. Another thing I love and that makes sense but I would have never guessed.

Sansa having the North succeed from the union was amazing.

4thBlade likes this.
  7. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Your guesses were amazing.

Anyway, i hate the fact that Jon and Greyworm didn’t have a deathmatch. They just time skipped him being captured :/

Also, Arya’s decision for adventure is the only good thing i’ve seen in the last episode.

8. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Expand Collapse

this was a cool ending of her part of the story. I don't know if her list is complete, but instead of reminiscing on the past, she looks forward, or rather, westward.

Jon's return was lame indeed. But now all the starks rule the realm. Bran the broken over the 6 kingdoms, Sansa over the North, Jon over the free folk and Arya somewhere on the sea.

In general, this last season was kinda not as hyper as I wanted it to be. 6 episodes is way too short for the ending the show deserved. No red weddings, no green fire kingslanding thing, no real suprises (I mean, they hinted a shitload of times that the best king, is the one that doesn't wanted to be king). I enjoyed it, but that's about it. No scars, no trauma's, no overwhelming feeling of joy, no emotions.

9. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Expand Collapse

I hated that Brienne closed the book before it dried tho.

Ghent, 4thBlade and Zeek like this.
  10. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Hahahah! I get you man. Fcking Brienne

Chaudfontaine likes this.
  11. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Expand Collapse

Jon's mustache tho

12. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

As a huge GoT hater i'm so happy that Season 8 was pure trash because now my friends believe what i used to say about it being a trash tv show.

Oda gotta teach D&D some storytelling