1. The results of the Member of the Year voting are in... Find out who won!
  2. The Monthly PAW February 2020 is out now. Check it out!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

God Enel and the People of the Moon Discussion

Discussion in 'One Piece General' started by Buggy, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Buggy

Expand Collapse

Okay, so I looked through the Thread Reference and didn't find a thread for this, if I was wrong, remove the thread without any hesitation. :)

God Enel and the People of the Moon. Which refers to to the three races that came from the Moon: Skypieans, Shandians and Birkans.
    [​IMG]

The three races used to live on the Moon in a city named "Birka". Some time ago (over a 1000 years) they ran out resources and left for the Earth. The Skypieans and Birkans settled on sky islands and the Shandians on the island of Jaya.

And a related subject: Enel. He now lives on the Moon and controls an army of robots. When will we see him again? Also, what's the deal with the drum thing on his back? My guess is that he ripped off his wings and inserted that thing in their place. (Hopefully Oda draws him as a child so we can get that cleared up.)

Discuss your opinions and theories.

2. R1pp3r D. Pervert

Unofficial forum mod
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

I also hope to see some more revelations behind Enel and moon...
    tho 1 thing puzzles me...which orb is moon Enel is on

[​IMG]

Also i'd love to know if there's a connection between them and
    ancient kingdom.

3. r0land15

Navigator Helmsman Crew Member Apprentice Member
    Expand Collapse

i see sunny on the man's back :)

4. Lugz

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Isn't that the same as the sunflower-turned-lion hand-me-down dress of nami when she was a little? :)

5. Godiswithme

Expand Collapse

I think that lion is one of the favorite animal of eichiro odaa the creator of one piece hahaha

6. JoyfulBoy

Expand Collapse

we all know that Eiichiro Oda is the creator of One Piece.
    just sayin' :P

7. Mapache

means raccoon
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

#7 Mapache, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    This is the exact thread I was looking for: Enel and his voyage to the moon. (Thanks again @"TonyNico.D.Zoro")

Disclaimer: What you are about to read is a mix between theories I heard and my own thoughts. Since I have read and heard a lot of theories concerning this subject it's nearly impossible to name all my sources.
    Let's begin.

Right now I want to concentrate on only two special pages you encounter reading Enel's cover story, they are especially interesting. They show old engravings which tell something about the history of the ancient moon people.
    Here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would like to analyse them a bit and maybe some of you get some more ideas by reading this. But beforehand you should probably read the cover story again just to have the whole story on your mind.

What do we see in the first picture?

We see two moon people operating one of the little mechapeople who ascended to the moon after their inventor died (click here). So the mechapeople were new on the moon and as they came (supposedly) from earth they didn't have wings. But the moon people seemed to have build new mechas and modelled them after themselves, giving them wings. You can see the new models if you click here.
    It seems to me like the moon people wanted to build an army because all of their newly built mechapeople are armed. It also looks like one of the moon people is the leader of this army (the one with the bobbles).
    The last observation on this picture is the guy on the bottom left next to what looks like a compass. For me it looks like he is operating a cannon-like weapon. You can see the tube and the triangle looks like it's the mechanism to change the angle of the cannon. Also there are what looks like cannon balls coming out in front.

Conclusion of the first picture: The moon people were preparing for a war.

Let's have a look at the second one:
    From the description we learn that because of resource scarcity the moon people set out to the blue planet which I think is the planet where the One Piece story takes place. It's obviously blue. Their selfmade mechapeople seem to be very sad and crying about this because they are left behind and shut down from energy. If you click here you can see that they were only revived after Enel charges them with his electric power.
    The mechapeople are standing on some kind of platform which I'm not sure about. This could be some kind of ship or it might just represent the moon itself. As you can see the moon people are pictured slightly below the mechapeople which could mean that they are already on their way down to earth, using balloons as transport (more about my opinion on ballons you can read here, but I'll let you know that it contains spoilers for chapter 795).
    Then there's a symbol between the moon people and the mechapeople:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This might be showing a direction, downwards, and kinda looks like an arm and a hand pointing there. At the bottom right this is clearly the sea as you can see waves, a crab and a fish/ sea king. However, I have no idea what the thing right above the fish/ sea king is supposed to be. It looks kinda like a shooting star but I somehow doubt this. Maybe someone has a better idea. For the structure on the bottom left I have two ideas. First of all it must be the destination of the moon people since it's right under them. But here are the two possibilities: 1) it's an island in the blue sea 2) it's a sky island/ cloud in the white sea. So the moon people's migration either only went until the white sea or they made it all down to the blue sea. Or, why not both? Some landed on the first, some on the second. I will talk about this subject later on.

Conclusion of the second picture: The moon people left the moon, left their mechapeople army behind and descended down to earth using balloons.

Where did they land?

The following analysis will conclude that there are three different groups of moon people and each group landed in a different place. Main evidence is that there are three moon people depicted and each of them has distinctive features. So each one may stand for his own group.

1) We see that one of the moon people has these bobbles on his head which we already know from the angels in Skypiea/ Angel Island. So he and his followers probably didn't go all the way down to earth but settled down in the sky.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2) Then there are the Shandians who were living on Jaya up until 400 years ago (Calgara and his tribe). Even though they lived on earth they had wings. That's why I assume that this second group of moon people went down to Jaya to settle there. His animal hood makes me believe that the "Shandian moon people" are represented by this one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The leaders of the Shandians also wear this kind of headgear.

3) Third, there is this moon man who can clearly be distinguished by his different set of wings compared to the first ones:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Do you know who else has distinctively different wings from the others? Enel's priests.

Here you can see Conis' and Pagaya's wings (examplarily for all other angels) and also Laki's wings (examplarily for all other Shandians):
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    They resemble each other and don't show any big signs of distinction.

But now take a look at the priests' wings:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    They are much bigger and have a different form, rather pointing downwards than to the sides. Since we know that Enel and his priests came from another sky island, named Birka, this must be the place where this third group of moon people settled down.

Open questions: Why were there people living on the moon in the first place? What happened to the war they were preparing for? Against who was it fought? Who won? Or did it maybe not even happen? When did the moon people descend to earth? Do they maybe have something to do with the void century?

This is it so far, my little essay about the moon people. Hope it's not too long and that it's interesting to read for some of you.

P.S. Now at the end I have one last question concerning Enel: Why does Enel not have wings but instead this weird thing stuck in his back? If he's from Birka he must have had those Birkan wings, too.

Seiryu likes this.
  8. Date Damon

Supernova
    Expand Collapse

It's very long but interesting. I think the answers to all of your questions are the void century, @"Mapache". It all happened in the blank century!
    ~ hey, you are red now. Congrats!

9. Mapache

means raccoon
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

Thank you :smile:
    I also think it probably happened back then. We know that the Shandians were protecting the poneglyph at all costs.

10. Date Damon

Supernova
    Expand Collapse

don't mention it. Also, I think the Tenryuubito have something to do with this 'cause they all wear astronaut suit. Their ancestors might have some relation to the Moon.

11. Icecrusher

Calm Winds
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

Aren't they just afraid of getting germs from other people? Haha now that you mentioned it, I think I agree that their suit has something to do about the moon -- could it be their hometown? :spin:

12. Mapache

means raccoon
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

@"Date Damon" @"Icecrusher"
    Here's a short theory saying that they might be from space:
    [video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYyjdAoKnUc[/video]

And after all, their suits really resemble those of astronauts. That may be the biggest hint Oda gave us but nobody takes it seriously because it's just too obvious.

13. Date Damon

Supernova
    Expand Collapse

that might very well be the case. Too obvious to believe but who knows?

14. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Personally I see the moon residents as a separate "species" that lived on the moon for thousands of years. Once their technology advanced enough, then they were able to travel to "Earth". I make the huge assumption that the descendants of the moon residents founded the D. country. This would explain the war (their brethren were under attack by the 20 founding countries of the WG), the opponent, and the result.

Based on the Void Century timeline, the war started ~900 years ago and probably took a majority of the century (the WG was founded 800 years ago). I would have to check one of the official data books, but the One Piece story line goes back 4-5,000 years from the current time (5,00 years ago is when the Tree of Knowledge in Ohara was created; 4,000 years ago Alabasta's capitol, Alubana, was constructed; Potentially the moon residents could even predate that; Potentially important to note that Shandora was flourishing 1,000 years ago, right before the start of the Void Century). So I'm thinking the Bilka/original moon residents "birthed/created" the giant tree of knowledge, meaning they also had lots of time to migrate to the various sky islands/Jaya, and eventually into the Grandline/New World and establish the "great country" erased from history. I jump to the D. connection since it literally connects all of the dots.
    And that would make it an even better foreshadowing.