1. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  2. Our One Piece User Tournament is back. Join the fun now!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Grammar Check Please!

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Twelve, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Twelve

Trippin'
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Hello! I'd like to dedicate this thread for questions or clarifications related to grammar. :robin:

It could be for your homework or a long post in this forum. Or maybe you just want someone to be your grammar police and check your composition before you send that risky text to your crush. (JUST DO IT! )

[​IMG]

I know that we could use the world wide web or some applications for this, but I would like to bounce off ideas with people. I learn things that way. And I hope you will too.

Please feel free to leave questions in this thread. Surely someone will be kind enough to offer help. :innocent:

2. Twelve

Trippin'
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

The question that inspired this thread:

Her mother ________ the laundry every day.
    A) is doing
    B) does

My brother argues that the answer is A. Please help me understand why it isn't B. xD

3. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

It’s passive versus active voice if you use A. And a lot of times active is more preferred, so I would choose B. But neither is grammatically incorrect.

Twelve likes this.
  4. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Because the answer is B.
    We use the present simple to talk about something that happens regularly in the present. Since it happens every day, it requires Present Simple.

Twelve likes this.
  5. Admiral Ryokugyu

Green Bull
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

It's B. You use present simple tense when it's a repeated activity.

Example: i go to the store every week.

Twelve likes this.
  6. Twelve

Trippin'
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Also what I would give as reason for this: present simple tense. I'll always use B in any case. Thank you for your answers :blush: I honestly thought I believed in something wrong the whole time for pushing B xD

Naruhodo. There's also that active vs. passive voice. I guess if it's for an exam, B would also be the more correct answer despite A being grammatically correct too?

Kia likes this.
  7. Monster Trio

青眼の究極竜
    Shichibukai Member of the Year 2015
    Expand Collapse

Poor brother is wrong indeed
    The present continuous is kinda odd to use in such a situation, it can be done but it doesn't sound really smooth nor all that correct. The sentence is more used to express a habit, sth done in a regular fashion. In such cases usually the Present Simple is used.
    I'm usually not that familiar with these terms cos I never pay attention to English class but I think it overlaps with what others said in the thread as well, so I hope it clears up this

Thoooooughh.. I'm not sure if A really could be correct, it still sounds odd to me.

Twelve likes this.
  8. Cleand

Forum Granpa
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

This kind of sentence fascinates me the most. It makes me think.

And good job @Twelve on making this thread. I'm very particular with grammar myself. Also, my answer would also be B for the reasons all the other members mentioned above.

Twelve likes this.
  9. Twelve

Trippin'
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Tbf to him, he was just following the answer key. I also doubted myself for answering B because of it and needed more opinions from people. XD

Same. Or more like you just know something is right or wrong by looking at it or sounding it out so I never bothered with memorizing the rules or terms :tearsofjoy:

It does sound odd but I feel like it's because we know B is more correct and is something that we're used to seeing?

It was made out of my need for answers xD Do post questions here or anything, if you happen to have them in the future. :blush:

Monster Trio likes this.