1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Great Food, Strange Place

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Edinbour, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

This is a fairly simple topic. Tell of a time that you found some amazing eats at a very unconventional place.

A few years ago, my sister drove me to my dentist appointment that was 45 minutes away. Naturally, I told her I would put gas in her car so we stopped off at a random gas station right before jumping back on to the thruway. Of course I hadn't eaten yet so I was a bit hungry.
    This gas station sold pizza by the slice for like $1.50 so I bought a couple slices to hold me over before I get home to eat. All I thought was "well, it's gas station pizza and it's dirt cheap so it'll probably taste like shit but at least it'll hold me over"
    Let me tell you that this was some of the greatest tasting pizza Ive ever had. Nothing special, just pepperoni and cheese but holy smokes it was absolutely delicious! Much better than pizza I've had from actual pizzerias! As silly as it sounds, I was almost in tears because it was so good. Had I known, I would've bought a lot more.

So there's my story about the divine gas station pizza. What's an extraordinary culinary experience you've had somewhere you didn't expect? :)

2. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Nobody else has one? Fine! I'll add another :P

Here in the good ol' US of A, we have a convienent store called "7-11" (not sure if it's international though, but whatever) and they've got some real goodies there.

There's two things (besides lottery tickets) that I usually buy when I stop there. One is a quarter-pound (4 oz.) beef hot dog for $1.99. Sounds pretty boring, right? Well they also offer you free toppings, such as chili, cheese, pico de gallo, etc. so it's one hell of a great deal! The second is called a "Buffalo Chicken Roller" which is pretty much just processed chicken bundled up in a spicy wrap kinda thingy (hard to describe :P) which is only $1.29 (or 2 for $2.22).

Normally I would not trust food from gas stations, convienent stores, etc. because of the risk that the food was ill-prepared or something, but I have yet to get sick from eating it! Plus you can't beat those prices. $1.99 for a quarter-pound hot dog with whatever toppings you want? That's one hell of a deal, especially since that would cost anywhere around $5.00 everywhere else! ;)

Oh, I almost forgot! 7-11 actually has sells different chicken wings as well! Although it isn't very often, they have these breaded and baked wings which are phenominal. Not only are they jumbo sized, but the breading on 'em has a bit of a spicy kick to it which of course I absolutely love :) (I'm pretty sure they're 5 for $5.00 or something)

So there's that! :)

3. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Supermarket hotdogs in Poland are pretty dang tasty

We don’t have that kind of thing in the UK because we’re boring, so I thought it was a weird place to get a hotdog

4. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Okay here’s a few: ^_^

• IKEA it’s a department store for goodness sake but their hot food sections are pretty darned good! I remember this from my childhood in Europe and tried it again as an adult in the US.
    • The last burlesque show that I went to (the one where I got to sit on lady Santa’s lap) was actually a cabaret so there was table service even though it was at a bar without a kitchen. They had chefs on the back deck with BBQ grills, making super tasty food. It was delicious!
    • Once upon a time in Florida, there were really tasty hot wings in a strip club I frequented.
    • My local bowling alley has super tasty food. I live in a small town, this place has like 6 lanes/manual scoring and bowling alleys aren’t known for having good food in general so it’s definitely surprising.

GoldenVenus likes this.
  5. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Aye! There's a bowling alley about 15 minutes away (by car) and they've got some BOMB-ass wings! I got a pitcher of beer, some wings, got fat, drunk and bowled an 85 :tearsofjoy:

6. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

In my first job, there was an employee who sells snacks. I love her banana spring rolls. She adds several twists everytime she sells it.

Edinbour likes this.
  7. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

We sell these cheap-ass cheeseburgers at work and the other day, I was a bit pressed for cash so I bought one just to snack on really quick and honstly, they're pretty tasty! :P

8. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

9. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

When you think of "TV Dinners" you think of cheap garbage, right?

Well there's this company that recently came around called "Devour" and they're "TV Dinners" are nothing but cheap! They're about $3.99 (unless on sale) but they make some killer meals. My favorite is the Buffalo Chicken Mac N' Cheese. They're very filling and as much as I love prefer making my own meals, sometimes I'm too tired after work so I'll pick one up. You can get 'em at most shops around here and I've never been dissatisfied.

I guess it's not so much from a "strange place" as it's just strange to praise a "TV Dinner" ;)