1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Green Bull - Admiral Ryokugyu

Discussion in 'One Piece General' started by TonzChopper, May 16, 2019.

1. TonzChopper

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys. Im not that good about Japanese terms and names but I came across this article about "fasting" and "longevity" and found "Ryukyu Island" in it.

Anyone has a thread about Ryokugyu's identity? If yes, then please let me know.

Screenshot_20190516_193540.jpg

Seiryu and Edinbour like this.
  2. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Rumor has it that @Pacquiao8 knows Ryokugyu's true identity :tearsofjoy:

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  3. Marco Polo

#TeamZornji
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

4. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

wow i never knew about this. I wonder if Oda chose the name Ryokugyu based on the island's people.

5. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Seems like the logical answer to me. I’m betting @Seiryu could give us a dissertation on the science behind it. Though cleanses and fasts are known to be quite rejuvenating and beneficial to ones health and well-being. I don’t know about these particular ones/culture but I’m familiar with others and their impacts. Then again, since he suggested a photosynthetic element to Ryokugyu’s deal, mayhaps he’s not familiar with this either. ^_^

6. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

this is maybe a stretch but if you look at plants/trees whatever non-ever green stuff, you can see the cycles of "fasting" (falling leaves, protection against winter etc) and growing. So both theories/assumptions can be put into one characther.
    (plant/natural cycles could even be the origin of the Ryokugu diet)

7. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Sure if you’re looking at non-coniferous trees and other plants that actually lose their leaves, I suppose you could try that...

I just remember him basically confirming the reason he chose the epithet for him—and the other admirals—in an SBS (volume 76).
    D: You know how there was a question in SBS Volume 75 about the admiral candidates?? Well I just figured out the reason behind your final choice of the "Ox" and the "Tiger" so here it is...

Hitsujisaru [未申 (坤) - literally "Sheep Monkey"] → Momotaro

Ushitora [丑寅 (艮) - literally "Ox Tiger"] → Kimon [鬼門 - literally "Demon Gate"]Oni [鬼] (Tiger loincloth, Ox horn)

And the "Oni" in this case would be representing the pirates.

Could the two new admirals "Ryokugyu" and "Fujitora" possibly have been created with the concept that, despite them being people of the Marines, deep down inside they are both Admirals who secretly harbor ill feelings towards the World Government (going against the WG → kind of like pirates?) as can be seen with Fujitora's wish to completely abolish the "Shichibukai" system set up by the World Government? P.N. Tosaka Kouhai

(Translator's Note: The epithets of the first three admirals [Kizaru- literally Yellow Monkey, Akainu- literally Red Dog, and Aokiji- Literally Blue Pheasant] come from the Japanese Legend of Momotaro, where Momotaro befriends a Monkey, Dog, and Pheasant on his journey to defeat an evil Oni in a distant island. This tale is actually based off of Onmyodo [derived from the more commonly known Feng-Shui, a traditional Japanese esoteric cosmology, in which the Ox and the Tiger, aka Ushitora, are the two zodiacs positioned in the Northeastern direction of the Onmyodo diagram and considered to be evil or unlucky. In Momotaro, the Tiger and Ox are represented by the evil Oni.)

O: What? Me, becoming restless? (cold sweat) W-w-what are you talking about? Of course not.

Uhhh, well that was one heck of a complicated theory written on this piece of paper. If you want to, go ahead and try to process it. I haven't said a single thing about whether this theory is correct or incorrect, okay! (cold sweat) Just saying. I j-just happened to throw this postcard in, so that I could show my fans the kinds of questions I've been getting and s-stuff.

8. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I'm not Okinawan, so it is a bit out of my direct cultural knowledge (the distinction of separate cultures is by both sides. I think there used to be some negativity between the two, but I haven't heard anything recently so I assume the times made everyone more culturally mature/accepting).

I do know that the above reference, and Okinawan culture as a whole, takes pride in the greater health/healthy aging benefits (as they should). People in Japan already live much older than anywhere else in the world (on average). However, if you isolate only Okinawa, it's a whole different scale/tier.

I do have to be a killjoy in the sense that despite the similarities/high overlap in English letters, the kanji/Japanese words are completely different and have nothing to tie them together. Fujitora appears like he might be based on an Okinawan person, so the fact that he gets along really well/goes back with Ryokugyu means that they both might be "Okinawan" in character design.

This does have potential because of Ryokugyu's fruit ability. Ryokugyu appears to be younger than all the other admirals, but context and Oda's pattern implies they all should be around the same age. This Okinawan inspiration seems legit to me because of this aspect (the whole healthy aging aspect).

9. TonzChopper

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Wow. Amazing input guys. I mean, I was totally blank and was just amazed about the fasting history in Japan, but this relativity just might be true.

I really like the idea that Ryokugyu might have a plan fruit or a wood fruit.

But knowing Oda, we maybe looking on a different angle.