1. OPF's 2nd One Piece Character Popularity Poll has arrived! Vote NOW!
  2. Participate in the OPForum's Secret Santa HERE!
  3. We have a NEW subforum for Dr. Stone! Check it out!
  4. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!
  5. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  6. Vote now for the Monthly PAW October 2019!

Haikyū!! (Manga)

Discussion in 'Manga Series' started by Twelve, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

How tall do you guys think Hinata is now? He looks significantly bigger, but he’s still likely considerably under 6 foot

miss_SMP, Kia and PirateKing_D_Luffy like this.
  2. Monster Trio

青眼の究極竜
    Event Host Shichibukai Member of the Year 2015
    Expand Collapse

I think he got bulkier mostly, and a bit in length, since the whole thing about him being short/small (don't @ me) was a big part in the show no? It's enough to show but hmm.. to the 170-175cm, which is under 6ft if m not mistaken

3. PirateKing_D_Luffy

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tag... Alerts keep me also alive :)

I haven't watched it but I am excited to watch it as soon as possible.

Thank you for reminding me about Haikyu!!

Haikyu!One-piece family.

Kia likes this.
  4. miss_SMP

Kahel
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking the same thing. So far the people around him is taller but they're Brazilians so they are taller people. I believe probably less than 6ft as well, but he looks bigger in mass.

Maybe we'll see reunion thingy with the characters soon. Hahaha. #fingerscrossed

Marco Polo and Kia like this.
  5. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

I’m really upset this is the last arc. I’m really upset they never even made it to the finals. I’m really upset we didn’t get two more arcs of their high school years. I’m upset we never got to see the first years. I’m upset that Hinata isn’t really keeping up with his rival; I don’t think this arc will cover 4 years so it’s unlikely we ever see Hinata in the olympics.

Marco Polo likes this.
  6. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Expand Collapse

I understand the first 2 “I’m upsets” but the other ones are kinda moot points to me.
    • Two more years of high school would have become repetitive very quickly. Yes, the summary Yachi gave is a little brief, but 2 more years of high school means 14 years of Furudate writing that isn’t getting to the heart of the series (Hinata overcoming Kageyama)
    • New first years could have been cool, but then the entire team dynamic changes without Daichi, Sugawara and Asahi. I don’t think Ennoshita and co would have had the same effect that those three did, especially since they didn’t really play
    • Make no mistake about it, Hinata was obviously leagues behind Kageyama, even during nationals. As much as he improved his fundamentals, he only became an offensive powerhouse thanks to Kageyama. This Brazil training is Hinata’s way of spending two years on nothing else but honing his all-round game. Yes, he will have grown during high school, but the simple fact is Kageyama had offers to go pro (and is also an Olympian), whereas to our knowledge, Hinata isn’t. For him to beat Kageyama, he first has to reach his level.
    And we don’t really know what this arc will cover yet, or how long it will - the Tokyo Olympics is one potential end point, but we still need that moment where Hinata stands on the court longer than Kageyama. That won’t happen at the Olympics given that they’re both Japanese, so there’s probably something else there (and the Olympic story might be a special of some kind). It’s simply too early to get upset and write things off just yet.

Zanekin and Kia like this.
  7. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

The 2020 Olympics is all too perfect to not include with it being in Tokyo

Marco Polo likes this.
  8. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Expand Collapse

371 is out! - https://readms.net/r/haikyuu/371/6295/1?mobile=1

Ninja Shouyou is a very cool nickname...

I thought this chapter was excellent, showing us bits of the year and a half he’s spent in Brazil and his struggles to adapt to a new country, language and way of life adds a more “realistic” side to the whole moving abroad thing.

That ending though, bumping into Oikawa of all people... looks like he’ll finally get his wish to toss for Hinata. Will they form an unlikely duo? I’m guessing Hinata will learn a lot from him.

This final arc will be longer than we thought, I think.

Kia, miss_SMP and Zanekin like this.
  9. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

Honestly a great chapter. Love seeing this bit of the game and the difficulty Hinata has adjusting. Reminds me a lot of when I went off to college for wrestling. Leaving home, even within the same state, can be so lonely sometimes.

This type of training is very ironic to me. He’s playing with people of all skill levels and ages. Reminds me of how he trained in middle school. Whoever will play with him!

Side note, if he returns to regular volleyball his legs should be even stronger. Running/working out in sand is legitimate work. Living near the beach I used to run in the mornings and boy howdy was it a workout.

Funny for him to run into a familiar face.

There’s no way his new partner’s name isn’t Hector instead of Heitor. I have no idea how to even try pronouncing that. Maybe our Ninja will inspire him to try?

Marco Polo and miss_SMP like this.
  10. miss_SMP

Kahel
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

I hope its gonna be long enough to show us everything we want. Fingers crossed. Hahaha

Love my all grown up baby crow traveling to another place. And the bits and pieces we saw on his flash back.

This one in particular is soooo precious:
    IMG_20191101_104352.JPG

His source of strength??? So precious. Make me think, are they still in contact? Yachi for sure. How about the rest? Esp. Kags?
    (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ლ(´ڡ`ლ) ヾ(☆▽☆)

And now we have the Grand King!!!! I've been missing him since regionals. Waaaa. So fun. And looking forward to more encounters.

PS. Seems like we have goal. Hinata is working hard for it within the time limit provided. Baby Orange Crow can do it!!!

Marco Polo likes this.
  11. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

Official release confirms it’s Heitor and not Hector. Odd choice.

12. Kia

Kia
    Jimbabe
    Event Host Captain
    Expand Collapse

It’s the Portuguese form of Hector.

Marco Polo and Zanekin like this.
  13. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I’m really glad he didn’t just get off the plane and go straight to carnival or whatever. You can see a growth in confidence between the flashback in this chapter and when he’s talking to Heitor.

Hinata probably isn’t in touch with them based on how Yachi was talking in 370 - she probably knows he’s in Brazil but that’s it. It’s probably only Captain Yamaguchi and Tsukishima that stayed in regular contact since they were friends anyway. Hinata and Kageyama are probably too busy thinking about volleyball to call, lol

miss_SMP and Kia like this.
  14. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Expand Collapse

372: https://readms.net/r/haikyuu/372/6307/1?mobile=1

Kageyama and Ushiwaka on the same team WHAT! I like that they communicate entirely non-verbally as well, very fitting.

Interesting that Oikawa was the first one to move overseas, I was expecting an Oikawa/Ushiwaka teamup at some point, though the way Furudate’s paired them up is probably more fitting. Let’s see how this inexperienced beach volleyball duo hold up against some opponents who look pretty skilled...

Also colour page next week should be great

Zanekin, miss_SMP and Kia like this.
  15. miss_SMP

Kahel
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

My baby Tobio *_*

Out of everything in the chapter, this is gold:
    haikyuu.PNG

Nonverbal comm indeed. Hahahaha

Finally we can see the Grandking set with the Orange Crow. He did say he wanted to. Excited to see the fight.

Zanekin, Kia and Marco Polo like this.
  16. Kia

Kia
    Jimbabe
    Event Host Captain
    Expand Collapse

IFKR?! My question is when did Kageyama move to Europe or did I miss something and there’s a team in Japan with a German name? I was so busy trying to suss that part out that when Ushiwaka showed up, I was flabbergasted. Loved Oikawa lying about seeing Tobio’s games though.

I’m looking forward to this game though. Good stuff. Bring it!

miss_SMP, Zanekin and Marco Polo like this.
  17. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

This series is just fun. Love the way Hinata and Wata interact. It’ll be cool to see them play together.

Lots of great moments here it felt like it ended so fast!

Marco Polo and miss_SMP like this.
  18. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Expand Collapse

Yeah the name of Kageyama and Ushijima’s team confused me as well. It does sound very

So from what I can work out, this is the timeline we’re working with:

2012/13: Hinata and Kageyama’s first year at Karasuno and the Spring Tournament Arc. Hinata/Kageyama are 15, turning 16.

2014/15: Hinata and Kageyama graduate from Karasuno. They are 18 at the end of high school.

2016: Kageyama plays at the Rio Olympics, aged 19. Hinata is in Brazil at this point.

2017: “Present day” - this is the Yachi part in 370. Apparently, Kageyama is still “planning to test himself in a foreign league in the future”, implying he’s still in Japan. Yachi also states that he’s been playing in Japan. The Hinata/Heitor stuff also happens in the present day. Yachi is in her 3rd year of university, which would make her, Hinata and Kageyama 20 or 21 depending on the time of year.

Hinata meets Oikawa at the start of his Brazil training, which implies this chapter takes place at some point in 2016, presumably before the Olympics. Kageyama and Ushiwaka are both playing for this German sounding team at this point though, which means either there’s a German-owned team in Japan, or the mangastream translation is wrong and he’s already in the foreign league.

Kia likes this.
  19. miss_SMP

Kahel
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Seems right. I think its more of translation choice, probably.

20. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Expand Collapse

I’ll have a look at the VIZ translations at some point

Fun fact: I would have been in the same class as Hinata and Kageyama in high school (class of 2015)

miss_SMP likes this.