1. OPF's 2nd One Piece Character Popularity Poll has arrived! Vote NOW!
  2. Participate in the OPForum's Secret Santa HERE!
  3. We have a NEW subforum for Dr. Stone! Check it out!
  4. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!
  5. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  6. Vote now for the Monthly PAW October 2019!

Hajime No Ippo // Ippo the Spectator

Discussion in 'Manga Series' started by Zeek, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Monster Trio

青眼の究極竜
    Event Host Shichibukai Member of the Year 2015
    Expand Collapse

There's a reason that boy was my profile picture for such a long time, I like the fact that Martinez is so humble too tbh, dunno why he talking so poetic though, he's a boxer damn. And yes lowkey 4th wall breaking lmao, but it's getting interesting, even the world champ is having fun

Zanekin likes this.
  2. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

Seeing someone you have beaten before reach such heights would eat at you a little as a competitor

Monster Trio likes this.
  3. Krazy

DR. TEDDY
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

@Monster Trio Thanks for the comment.

I have mixed feelings about Sendo taking Gonzales down,but I guess for the Story telling he has to, thought beating Martinez is not possible I'd say. Rooting for a fight between Miyata and Sendo after the Gonzales one. But, we'll see, so many possibilities out there.

About Ippo, eventually he'll be coming back to take the world and fight Miyata, after all that's what it's about this whole time, fighting Miyata is Ippo's goal. Though I can also understand he's having his mind confused and taking the retirement card for now, been there myself in a boxing world having to pause because of injuries and that drove me to no motivation to keep going. And for him to come back, something bad will happen is my guess, to his mother or Kumi, like someone mentioned it here.

Anyways, glad to see someone else reading/watching Hajime no Ippo, my second favorite manga/anime.

Monster Trio and Zanekin like this.
  4. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

I’m fine with Kumi passing away lol. She’s nothing but an anchor to Ippo and his career. Pretty sure Sendo had a combination of luck and power; otherwise he’d be a little more pleased with himself.

5. Monster Trio

青眼の究極竜
    Expand Collapse

Agreeing with the Kumi part, I'd be kinda sad if it were his mom, she's been supportive while also disliking the fact he comes back all bruised. Meanwhile Kumi made him quit it in a way. And yeah there's no way he can let the manga end when it was about Miyata indeed. Not gonna lie even I forgot for a sec

Zanekin likes this.
  6. Krazy

DR. TEDDY
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

It has to be the mother, that is the actual reason he quit, to help his mother keep the family bussines running. It sucks, but in my opinion that's the only way to get him go over the "Monster" line Takamura made. We have seen his "Monster/Demon" face him slapping the hell out ouf Tahei.

Punch Drunk or not, he's coming back. Anyways I don't think the manga will keep going for a long time,the ending should be not that far away.

7. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

Would need a time skip then to have a fitting ending. Unless you do a Rocky storyline where the champ gives him a chance without him climbing through the ranks.

8. billoni

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

two new chapters were released today on mangastream

Zanekin and Monster Trio like this.
  9. Monster Trio

青眼の究極竜
    Expand Collapse

#69 Monster Trio, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    https://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1276/6235/1?auth=1

It seems like even Morikawa sensei wants to put an end to it, he's saying he got a clear image so let's see how this goes, will edit this post once I get to reading the chapters.
    @Zanekin @Krazy

Seeing all those old enemies... Damn I feel like my memory doesn't suck for once! I can actually remember the fights, which makes me happy, really. You ever on the sea and try to look for Mexico? Me too. Seeing Ippo dress up in a suit for the class reunion? Hit me. Nostalgic romance was unexpected tbh, but no clue who she was. Feels like morikawa sensei felt like bringing back some old characters again? Did he get to reading old volumes himself to remember what all he wrote or sth :') I can't remember..
    "I think you need to cut down on the remarks, not just the french fries" lmao I felt that. Him meeting with Date again was really a step he needed.

Zanekin likes this.
  10. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

Monster Trio likes this.
  11. Krazy

DR. TEDDY
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Ippo is finally going to get back, want to see that. That new girl seems better than Kumi, after all she is supportive of him doing boxing and would cheer him on if he ever fought, anyways he got the her number, so I guess we´ll see him decide on if he should keep seeing Kumi or the new girl in the few next chapters. What I don´t know or can´t think of the situation, if Gonzales is going to win and then have a rematch against Ippo or if Sendo is going to win and fight Ippo for the 3rd time.

I´d like to see Ippo vs Gonzalez rematch, then Ippo challenging Ricardo and actually winning the world title understanding the meaning behind being "Strong". And after that he should defend the title against Miyata, well, anyways, this is just me dreaming about some stuff.

Zanekin and Monster Trio like this.
  12. Krazy

DR. TEDDY
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

@Pacquiao8 you should check this manga/Anime out.

13. Pacquiao8

62-7-2 (39 KO)
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

I know this manga/anime. Not so updated in the manga but I'm aware of the happenings. I'll probably re-read from the start if Ippo returns to any of the organizational Top 10, or if Takamura reaches Light Heavyweight division.

14. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

Looks like Ippo is coming back boys. Sendo respects him so much.

15. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

@Monster Trio @Krazy @billoni
    Hajime no Ippo 1280
    I really don’t know anymore. Each chapter just feels like a tease on whether or not he’ll return. Hate that he lost the number to the supportive girl. Funny interaction though with his kohai and girlfriend.

His punch scared Sendo! This chapter was fun man. It seems like we’ll likely follow Sendo’s path until Ippo finally accepts his reality.

billoni likes this.
  16. Krazy

DR. TEDDY
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

It's getting boring not knowing if he'll return or not, but he still trains and wears those weights around which made him stronger....

17. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it’s like Oda ending every chapter with Big Mom almost catching the Strawhats. It’s getting old.

18. billoni

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

I am almost sure that he will return sooner or later, but even if he wouldn't i am satisfied with the story currently

19. Ebony Rustle

Helmsman
    Expand Collapse

Yo @Zeek looks like we're finally growing in number. Hell yeah. :smile:
    @Monster Trio thanks for keeping the discussion going bud!

Now to give my drive-by opinions on the current state of the story before I disappear back into the mist. I don't know if you guys recall, but we're relatively only just a few chapters into Ippo's "Redemption Arc". All of the character development before Ippo and his two pupils went bald were stated by Morikawa as his "Reflection Arc". This then leads me to believe there's still several months to a year's worth of chapters before Ippo steps into the ring again, assuming Morikawa continues with his current pace.

Also, as I've mentioned before in my past discussions with Zeek, I think there's a whole criteria for Ippo's comeback, which are:
    • Takamura's inevitable defeat and eventual retirement due to growing issues with his detached retina. The existence of his condition has already been hinted several times in the manga.
    • Kamogawa's retirement or indefinite leave from coaching due to his condition suddenly taking a turn for the worse. Best case scenario: he needs to be hospitalized until further notice. Worst case scenario: he dies. :worried:
    • Ippo's mom gives him the push he needs to return to boxing. This is the most important of the three since she's also the main reason why Ippo quit.
    So yeah. If we're to look at it as a step-by-step process, I think it's all gonna go down like this: Takamura loses and retires --> Kamogawa's condition suddenly "worsens" --> Ippo starts to feel compelled to return to boxing, probably because he wants to continue his coach's legacy and his senpai's goal --> Takamura offers to coach Ippo if ever he decides to return --> Ippo's mom seals the deal.

All in all, I think it's gonna be a depressing path for Ippo. But honestly, if that's what it takes to turn Ippo into a "monster", fine by me. A heavy toll for a heavy change in character is, by all means, welcome for the final arcs of this awesome manga.

Zanekin likes this.
  20. Zanekin

Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

Agreed, I think Takamura comes up just short and ends up being Ippo’s coach. All the jokes related to him aside he really is incredibly intelligent. I think it would be fair to call him a prodigy/genius in regards to boxing. It would add some weight to his negative comments to Ippo about being broken (he’s upset with himself and seeing Ippo scares him).

Still think Ippo can mentor his pupils too.