1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Hajime no Ippo is concluding soon?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga General' started by Sunny G, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Sunny G

Expand Collapse

#1 Sunny G, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Uh. So, with the recent chapter, I'm guessing that it's soon reaching it's conclusion. Wow. 1200+ chapters. I'm honestly a little surprised. And I think...maybe, it's best to let it end as such. I don't care what people say, Ippo was legendary. Is legendary.

If this is how it ends, like I suspect, then let me express this. Thank you Morikawa-sensei for your hard work. This story was a true inspiration - and ultimately, also a great reminder. A reminder that every journey will eventually meet it's conclusion. Makunoichi Ippo will forever have my respect as a main character, as a Champion, and as a boxer. Did I expect it to end like this? No. But it is very real. It felt very real.

If it is indeed, the end.

(EDIT)

I...suspected that Ippo would never reach the World Level again. He's much too kind. He doesn't display the hunger for victory that Takamura has. Ippo to me, felt very human. Too much so. A world champion cannot be just a human. World Champions must be monsters. A monster that must devour other monsters until they themselves are devoured. That is the world of competition in a nutshell.

I'm seeing that people are butt-hurt over the ending. Well, I'm not sure how to feel about that crowd. To me, it was real. No shonen BS, none of that stuff. Ippo tried. And with the damage he accumulated over the years, it's no surprise. The fights he went through after becoming Japanese Champion were frightening damage-wise. He did well to make it this far.

Kyros likes this.
  2. Kyros

The Legend
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

I read some comments in reddit about how Ippo apologising to Coach is like the writer is apologising to the readers that due to his physical condition he couldn't continue to write.

I really like the series and don't want to end it so abruptly with Ippo loosing and broken. Hope he wraps things good.
    I really appreciate author for his hard work all this time and wish him good health.

Sunny G likes this.
  3. Sunny G

Expand Collapse

Yes, I agree. I think he will take a couple more chapters to wrap things up. And maybe a small epilogue.

Kyros likes this.
  4. Kyros

The Legend
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Yes its needed , many readers might be sad if things are left like this.

5. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

If that's the case then it would be sad not to see Ippo fight Miyata or Martinez, and Takamura become an undisputed champion and a 6-division champion.

Should the series continue by the way, about Ippo, his career will be defined with how he will deal with back-to-back losses. I'm not sure if Morikawa will make him similar to those real-life boxers who bounced back after consecutive losses (Pacquiao is an example) though shifting into that mentality would be difficult and DEM-ish should that happen.

Agree. That's one of the huge differences between Ippo and Takamura. Ippo's only aim is to fight Miyata (not a world champion, a friendly rival) while Takamura wants to unify titles in as much as 6 divisions from 154-pounds up to Heavyweight (beating reigning world champions in the process).

Sunny G likes this.
  6. Sunny G

Expand Collapse

It's not out the window that the story will continue. But Ippo has been going for decades - and we all know how tough it is to make it as a mangaka, I think it's best to end it here - on a bittersweet note. More bitter then sweet, unfortunately. I also do not see another author picking up the story for Morikawa because it wouldn't be right. Morikawa was absolutely brilliant in regards to boxing knowledge, he knew his stuff, and he knew just how to exaggerate the finer details and make it into a hell of a shonen series.

Ricardo will retire undefeated or he will lose to Metzili (I forgot his name, but his nickname was so badass that I remembered it). Takamura, people have speculated that he has a vision issue, but now we can only speculate. I just want a few more chapters for closure. Ippo retiring, the coach forgiving him, and I really, really want to see an epilogue where Ippo takes on a young boxer as a protege. That would be cool. The cycle goes on...

PurplePandaSageReborn likes this.
  7. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

The problem really is all the unfinished subplots.

8. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I have never read the series, is it really any good? The art just looks so meh to me.

Sunny G likes this.
  9. Sunny G

Expand Collapse

In my opinion, I think it is one of the best sports genre animes. I suggest watching the anime. And if you are interested, follow up on the manga.

It's a very underdog story and many people can relate to that.

Zeek likes this.
  10. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I got you, personally I really loved Eyeshield 21's manga

11. Sunny G

Expand Collapse

Eyeshield 21 is a great feels trip. So many great moments. Ippo can be hit or miss - and the art can look old school. But the fights are amazing. Simply put, it is amazing.

PurplePandaSageReborn likes this.
  12. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'm caught up to the most recent chapter after grinding and I'm almost in tears. It can't end this way.

Kyros likes this.
  13. Vesi

Karate Hobo
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

wtf already? didn't you just start?

Kyros, Zeek and Grin like this.
  14. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I get way too into manga and I binge :zorolaughing:

Now I'm stuck waiting for hopefully more chapters

Vesi likes this.
  15. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I have a comment on the punch drunk issue though. While reading the series I to constantly thought to myself, "man he should have more fights where he just comes out and dominates without taking massive damage. Constant comebacks aren't cute once you're in that higher level. Instead it makes you look like a lesser fighter.

I believe a time skip where he trains to become a better technical fighter, and embraces the "hit before getting hit" mentality. If he could combine his in-fighting with better evasion and some out-fighting he'd actually be worthy of this world stage. The time skip should emphasize that he's going to train without taking any damage (no spars just glove work, shadow boxing, bag work, speed bag, and other training drills). Emphasize evading head shots and let him become almost untouchable regarding his head.

During this timeskip the following should happen:
    Takamura - keeps claiming belts left and right because him remaining undefeated should just be a constant.

Aoki - becomes a more respectable fighter, his experience starts to shine and he truly finally puts it all on the line to become the Japanese Champion. His retirement should be immediately after the match regardless of the result. That would be his summit.

Kimura - becomes Japanese Champion as well after adding strength to his punches. Settles his battle with Battery finally stopping the draws and can eventually retire as well. Should be slightly more successful than Aoki.

Itagaki - let me express my main complaint with this character...there's no reason he should be the same weight as Ippo. I say post time skip he has been coached by Ippo during the recovery and has actually dropped down a weight class so his ceiling isn't eternally below Ippo and his strength matches the weight better.

I would also introduce, though not focus on, four up and coming fighters at their gym that will eventually fill in for Takamura, Aoki, Kimira, and Ippo with Itagaki eventually becoming akin to the original groups Takamura.

Kyros likes this.
  16. Kyros

The Legend
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

That sounds good for other characters except Ippo , If Ippo comes back into ring without some ground shaking miracle and win World Belt against Ricardo it will look like BS and all the feel that author created over past few chapter will be wasted. People are already predicting the end and just wanted the series to end with some wrappings to show what everyone become in future.

17. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

New chapter, anyone read it? @Kyros

18. Kyros

The Legend
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I read it. So its confirmed that he won't be a boxer anymore now. I really wonder if we can get some info on Takamura's 6 weight class challenge in wind up chapters. How many chapters do you think are left?

19. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I don't know that he's done for sure. The chapters were so heavy have about him being done that I think we might get a cliffhanger ending where he returns once he's allowed himself to recover properly.

Takamura isn't handling it well so I'm nervous for his fight. They've been such short chapters i would say we may have 10-20 left.

Kyros likes this.
  20. Vesi

Karate Hobo
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Takamura will save this manga I hope :coldsweat: