1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Hajime No Ippo: The Second?

Discussion in 'Manga Series' started by Zeek, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'll keep posting the chapters in this thread so don't read if you're not caught up!

Chapter 1234
    http://mangakakalot.com/chapter/read_hajime_no_ippo_manga/chapter_1234
    hajime1234..PNG

I'm pretty confused about where this story is going? I, like his former rivals, want him to somehow get back into boxing but his love interest seems to not be keen on it. Like, she is borderline psychotic whenever she thinks he's about to consider a return. Honestly I've never really cared for her character as she's pretty much just an object in the story.

What Ippo is going through is so painfully close to home for myself; the beginning of his journey is drastically different but this tail end is eerily close to my own. I started wrestling in 3rd grade and by my senior year of high school I was considered in the top 50 of the country for my weight class. Due to a few financial issues I settled for a college a lot closer to home to continue my career. There I made it into the top 5 rankings nationally within my freshmen year of college. We had our state tournament before our regional even, and then the national event after that.

At the state event I was wrestling a guy who frankly wasn't in my league. I had built up a 10-0 lead and was looking to go for a technical fall (essentially a mercy rule in wrestling). Shooting in, I grabbed both of his legs and he kicked them back, fully extending my arms. Being stubborn I held on and when he kicked back again I felt a sharp pain in my right arm. Wrestling essentially one handed I held on for the next four minutes to claim a 14-5 victory. At regionals I qualified for nationals and sat out my placement matches to try and heal. Come nationals my shoulder kept popping in and out of place so I didn't see a chance of placing and the team doctor wouldn't clear me regardless.

A doctor's visit revealed I had tore my labrum and bicep. Once again, like when I couldn't wrestle for the college I wanted to, money was too tight for my family to afford surgery at the time. So that's where it ended and I had to focus on my schooling.

Now I'm the head coach at a high school and I can't tell you how hard it is to not be competing anymore. My shoulder has been repaired and I wrestle with the kids but there will never be a PA system calling my name for a match under the gym lights anymore. Meanwhile, one of my old high school teammates and one of my old college teammates have made it onto the US National team as backups...Both of which I dominated regularly in practices.

I honestly don't think the average reader of this manga can really connect with just how hard this is on Ippo. Yes, you know he had ambitions. Yes, he seems to be okay with it. But the truth is no one ever wants it to end and athletes truly die twice in their lives. Once when they retire and once when they're no longer breathing.

I'm still not ready for Ippo's first death because I still haven't accepted my own.

How will he console his friend who is no longer motivated? Will being a second truly satiate him? It is true what he says about seconds not being a supporting role. I will say the happiest I've ever been in the sport of wrestling came this past season when one of my wrestlers, with no natural abilities whatsoever, earned his way into the state finals match. It's true that you view it as your accomplishment just as much as it is the kid who is physically doing it. Nothings better than telling a kid what they should do and seeing your plan unfold before your eyes. It's a lot more stressful being the one in the corner with no physical control than being the individual who in the ring who can make it happen.

tl;dr Ippo has me in my feels and I kinda hope he boxes again and leaves his boring waifu

Ebony Rustle likes this.
  2. Ebony Rustle

Expand Collapse

With the way the story is going right now, Ippo is in a journey of self-discovery. It is during this time that Ippo will probably regain his resolve to constantly find the answer to his question of "what it means to be strong", but more importantly, the question of "what it means to be a champion" and the burden that the title carries. And though it's rather complex to briefly discuss, his relationship with the people around him will also be the main focus of this journey along the way towards his actual comeback. Notable scenarios of which are 1) Takamura's potentially abrupt retirement due to his detached retina will have a massive impact on Ippo, and 2) his love interest, Kumi, will give him the final push since Ippo seems to be a man who keeps his promises.

3. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the response! Takamura is an interesting character to me because I’ve wanted him to develop a little further than he has. Though, pacing is not a strong suit of this manga.

It’s going to be hard to see Takamuras fall from grace but he can’t finish on top. That’s just, boring.

So you believe Ippo comes back? I feel like if he lets the damage dissipate and focuses on taking less punishment and being a better technical boxer then it’ll be realistic for him to return and have some actual longevity.

4. Ebony Rustle

Expand Collapse

Like what you said, it'll indeed be boring if Takamura just went on winning. What I speculate about his future is that he will be Ippo's coach after he officially retires. I don't really know much about the technicalities of boxing, but if you see a possibility for Ippo to return, then I'll just have to agree with it. But frankly, I think Ippo's fundamentals are already super solid thanks to Coach Kamogawa. What he lacks though are the mentality and "fighting sense" that Taka has. Remember that Taka is considered a prodigy by the coach, so there must be something in Taka that only he can truly enlighten Ippo about.

Also, Ippo doesn't have the typical ambitions of an athlete, which is to "win and become the world's best". What pushed him to continue boxing though was 1) he enjoys it, 2) he wants to reflect all the training that the coach gave him (in the sense that he's paying back the favor), and 3) he wants to answer his personal mission of what it means to be strong. But all three of these were willingly set aside by Ippo because of a sudden, external factor: the stress that boxing had been putting on his mother which Ippo was oblivious to.

So overall, the conditions for Ippo to make a comeback are to somehow acquire a much heavier reason to do boxing (which I think will lead him to adopt Taka's principle of becoming a "monster"), and also to receive confirmation from his mother (and, I guess, also Kumi) that she is resolved to fully support Ippo. These, along with how Morikawa continued the story after Ippo's previous loss, convince me that he will eventually make a comeback.

Zeek likes this.
  5. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Just takes too much damage to hope for a long career. The day of "slugging it out" disappeared because of brain trauma. He doesn't have to become an "out-boxer" but he could definitely work on being more like M. Ali. He has the sting like a bee part down but needs to work on floating better.
    How is his health? I thought he was dying and that's why the manga took such a sudden turn.

Ebony Rustle likes this.
  6. Ebony Rustle

Expand Collapse

Hmm, well I guess it all comes down to what his training focuses on then? Iirc, there hasn't been any sort of regimen for Ippo that centers on his capacity and skills to dodge except for weaving. He also hasn't displayed much when it comes to consciously reading his opponent's attacks just like Date. Perhaps, if my initial speculation becomes true, Taka will teach Ippo how to move efficiently just like what he did during a spar against Miyata before, who is several weight classes below him.
    I haven't really dug much into Morikawa's physical condition even before, but most of the news and forums I skimmed through only had speculations with little to no base to support them. But what's known about him is that he is already growing old and perhaps still undergoing the strict timeline of a mangaka. Maybe his body is weaker than other mangakas, so clueless people tend to link his frequent breaks to some sort of severe or terminal illness.

Zeek likes this.
  7. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Either way it's a great time to be reading the manga! So many different routes the story could take!

Ebony Rustle likes this.