1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Haki: What is an Aura? (rehash)

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Mcguint, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Mcguint

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Hello, OPforum.net

I would like to re-create an older idea in a simple format. The idea is, Haki is a made-up word which is based on the idea of chakra energy.

Chakra energy is, "Life Essence". It is the vibrational energy; electromagnetic energy; which all forms of life possess. (Biomagnetism is the phenomenon of magnetic fields produced by living organisms; it is a subset of bio electromagnetism.).

It is photonic energy, light. That is to say, in this story, people who are able to use this energy are actually an evolved form of creature; things which can create and use photonic energy through their own physiology. However, this is based on the idea of a "Soul". This is why the phrase often goes hand-in-hand with, "Willpower.".

The colors themselves are based on the light spectrum. But, they do go in a specific ordering. They can be described as follows:

1. Red: Root Chakra
    2. Orange: Sacral Chakra
    3. Yellow: Solar Plexus Chakra
    4. Green: Heart Chakra
    5. Blue: Throat Chakra
    6. Indigo: Third Eye Chakra
    7. Violet: Crown Chakra

I'll continue to think of more to add, however I believe this covers the general understanding of the subject. This is slightly open to interpretation where it concerns how each category applies itself. Then, too, how I see where it applies might not be the same as how someone else might. As a final note, it would seem clear that Crown Chakra is King's Haki.

Seiryu, Yuuzume and Marco Polo like this.
  2. Kia

Kia
    Wickedly Wanton Way with Words
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

The links between Haki and chakra have been discussed in other places. Thanks for providing the specifics on the chakras and colors for those who aren’t in the know.

As for your final point, actually the crown chakra is the connection to deity. The Navel/Solar Plexus chakra is the will, action, fire and purpose. As such, it would more appropriately correspond to haoshoku Haki if there were to be a direct correlation, I would think. However, in order to manifest it, it’s necessary to have all chakras balanced and in good order. Some believe that the further up the body you ascend, the more important the chakras are but the root chakra is just as important to keep in good order as the crown for it is the foundation and the “higher” chakras will not be balanced properly if there’s imbalance elsewhere. ^_^

Seiryu likes this.
  3. Mcguint

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

#3 Mcguint, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    I might say each of the chakras have their own merits. But every one of them involves will power. They are just different forms.

The idea is to become Enlightened. To do this, a person needs to activate all of them. They are born with different amounts of each. But Crown Chakra is the most special one among all of them.

When someone completes that it is referred to as, "Kundalini Awakening".

(I do believe that is the basis for the concept of what Awakenings are in the story as well).

Where it concerns deities~~ The Color of the Haki of the Supreme King may refer to the Crown Chakra color in at least one respect. The people with this Haki are said to be, "Chosen by the Heavens"

---

Where it concerns direct correlations.. I would say, the three basic types of Haki don't translate directly to the seven different chakra types. However, if you look at it in figurative terms-- the three basic haki types almost seem like the primary colors. If you mix them, you get all seven chakras.

Another part about this is I think the martial art Cipher Pol uses is directly related to this. There are 6 techniques of Rokoushiki and a secret 7th one.

Personally, it seems like Crown Chakra is the 7th Chakra (King's Haki) and the secret 7th Rokoushiki technique was designed to counter it.

Just some thoughts of mine.

Yuuzume and Marco Polo like this.
  4. Mcguint

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

#4 Mcguint, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    I will describe how I believe Crown Chakra will translate into Awakenings in the story.

Crown Chakra is described as... like Kia said, an energy which is connected to the divine. Deities and demigods. A person with Crown Chakra is very special in such a way that they can, "create their own universe". Like, literally, this person can create a place where reality fits their description. But, the reason that works is because~~ their willpower/soul is strong and allows them to create or destroy All Things.

I believe this relates to The Voice of All Things.

With that said, the Voice of All Things also equates to The Supreme King's Voice (or rather his Will). A voice is likely just a... fancy way to describe a will, or rather the vibrational energy which manifests through a persons will/soul.

Now, to actually discuss how this may work in the story.... I believe Doflamingo showed signs of being able to use the Haki of the Supreme King since he was a child. But, it wasn't until after he gained proficiency with a Devil Fruit that he was able to actually combine his use of Conqueror's Haki with it.

Conqueror's Haki, also described as The Color of the Haki of the Supreme King, allows a person to overwhelm their opponent. However, I believe it may go beyond that. Beyond a person's own body, All Things may be infused with Willpower. I believe an example of this may be the Moby Dick being damaged by Shanks. However, I believe if a person is a Devil Fruit user once they dominate something with their Will it may become an extension of their own body and therefore something they may use Devil Fruit Ability with.

Before going further, I do realize I'm quick to say things like.. Crown Chakra equates to King's Haki
    But, this may only occur if a person possesses both Conqueror's Haki and a Devil Fruit.

There may actually be other people aside from just Devil Fruit users who use Conqueror's Haki in combination with other abilities. One group that comes to mind are the Swordsman, The Ability to Cut All Things is likely based on the use of Conqueror's Haki in combination with Swordsmanship.

---

Later, when I have more time.. I will define each of the seven chakra types. However, I will leave interpreting them as part of the Haki system up to the readers. I think there can be many views on it.

Root Chakra (bottom one)… involves connections to the Earth, Life Force (vitality), and Survival Instincts while Crown Chakra is connected to the Divine.

The original form... not the Earthly body... is called the Pure Form (Divine Form). Humans often take on these Divine Forms to manifest the energies of the Supreme Deities to which they correspond with as seen in Deity Yoga (I believe Zoro does this a lot).

Here's an interesting thing to consider regarding Luffy and Blackbeard..... philosophically speaking. There's two ways for Crown Chakra to be used~~ to create All Things or to Destroy All Things. By connecting to the universal energy matrix, a person may create anything they wish to. Or, by understanding the inherent emptiness within them a person may bring about their destruction.

The Void is Nothingness. If Blackbeard can destroy All Things with the Power of Darkness, Luffy will likely gain the opposite set of abilities~~ the ability to create friends and such will likely turn into the ability to connect his will to All Things.

I do have fun thinking about these things.

Before I forget, there are certain things people with Crown Chakra can't change in their realities; these special rules involve Universal Laws. Some of which are mutable, and some which are immutable.

Kia, Yuuzume and Marco Polo like this.
  5. Marco Polo

boy with luv
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

the way you think is genuinely incredible

please don’t stop posting theories, your creativity is inspiring and wonderful

Jawahib likes this.
  6. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

@Mcguint I quite like this.

I like how you connect conqueror's haki to known events of the series. It has already been hinted that Luffy's possesses strong willpower, hence strong haoshoku haki, so it'd make sense for him to be more attuned to the "voices" of all things if we regard said voices as the manifestation of willpower. Also, explaining Luffy's befriending abilities as an effect of haoshoku haki is quite nice. It's not like he's the only good / moral character we've seen in the series but that ability of his makes even more sense if haoshoku haki was used to explain it, rather than just say that it's because he's the main character. Furthermore, I'm very much in favor of the way you describe the exact workings of haoshoku, that it is the ability to manipulate one's own "domain" freely ( other than the things you suggest can't be altered ). We have already seen from Katakuri's use of kenbunshoku that haki has varying levels of mastery and that the expert level of mastery clearly differs from the rudimentary level in terms of power. So merely affecting one's opponent may simply be the rudimentary form of haoshoku haki and the higher level of mastery might be the ability to affect one's surroundings according to own's will, like when Shanks damaged Whitebeard's ship as you mentioned yourself. After all, Shanks' abilities have been strongly hinted to revolve around haki prowess and swordplay. As another example, Rayleigh removing Caimie's explosive collar at Sabaody is also worth mentioning. I think it was the opinion of many, including myself, that what Rayleigh displayed during that instance was the advanced form of busoshoku haki. However, your explanation of haoshoku has made me reconsider that instance and it may have just been Rayleigh displaying the advanced form of haoshoku haki rather than busoshoku's.

While I do like how your theory explains and connects the aforementioned facts and details, I also do have a question on your explanation about how this correlates to the awakening to which I'd appreciate an explanation to make better sense of it. If I understood your premise correctly, then if a character has strong enough haoshoku haki ( Crown chakra ) and also possesses adequate control over it, that character should theoretically be able to affect their own haoshoku "domain" in accordance to their complementary abilities ( devil fruits / swordsmanship / etc ). This explanation makes me view the awakening abilities as a power with haoshoku haki as the main basis and with the complementary abilities as more of a guidepost to help the character in question better control their haoshoku by aiding in the visualization of the way they want to affect their domain. After all, it'd make sense for a person who ate the string - strong fruit to manifest their haoshoku domain as the power to turn one's surroundings into strings. Now, I am in favor of attributing the awakening abilities to haoshoku haki, especially since the only awakened user we've seen ( Doflamingo ) is a haoshoku user, but the way that Doflamingo explained awakening hinted that the main basis of that power is the power of devil fruits and that only devil fruit users can acquire awakening abilities, with haoshoku possibly being a secondary ingredient of that mix. So, considering that putting the emphasis of the awakening on haoshoku haki suggests that even a non-devil fruit user can use awakening through the use of haoshoku haki and any secondary ability, doesn't doing so contradict the explanation that Doflamingo provided?

In regard to the above, I'd like to elaborate some more to share some thoughts that occurred as I attempted to make better sense of the matter. I recall you suggesting in the past that devil fruits alter the electromagnetic force fields of their users, hence gifting them their respective abilities. Now, if I didn't misunderstand what you're suggesting above, then you're saying that haki is also a form of electromagnetic energy that the people capable of using haki in the One Piece world possess. Going along that line of reasoning, do you suppose it's possible that devil fruits are man made products / natural occurring phenomenon that act as a container for localized haoshoku "domains" that are sustained by the wills of the people who originally created through their own powerful haoshoku and complementary abilities? That is to say, do you suppose it's possible that devil fruits essentially gift their users with a ready, pseudo-haoshoku domain version of the original domain that the creator of the respective ability wielded? Going by that reasoning, that awakening is haoshoku based, then it would make sense for a haoshoku user like Doflamingo to be able to improve his pseudo-domain to a complete one and extend his domain to his surroundings. And going by the same reasoning, more things can also be explained. Whitebeard stated that Roger is still waiting for someone, hinting that Roger's will still exists, hence proving that wills can be sustained via some method. If that method was capable of creating a container for a will out of everything, then Roger's straw hat could be way more than a symbolic straw hat and could possibly be a container for part of Roger's soul. As for the origin of the devil fruit abilities, I'd personally say that the devil fruits contain the wills of accomplished haoshoku users of the Ancient Kingdom that had managed to create their own respective haoshoku domain. I'd base that on the existence of the abundance of the tombs / prison cells that we saw underneath of Mary Geoise.

In any case, these are my thoughts. Thank you for sharing this theory, it was very intriguing and it made me reconsider the way I view haoshoku haki from the very base of it. It was quite an inspiring theory and it was enjoyable to read.

7. Mcguint

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

#7 Mcguint, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    I would like to describe an event wherein I believe a direct correlation CAN be seen. This is regarding types of chakra and behavioural attitudes of a certain character.

During the fight with Katakuri, at one point Luffy was down.. and, he started yelling statements Katakuri considered mostly nonsensical. However, there would seem to be more to it if you consider Throat Chakra.

The throat chakra is the voice of the body. It is a pressure valve that allows the energy from the other chakra to be expressed. If it is out of balance or blocked it can affect the health of the other chakras. When it is in balance we can express what we think and what we feel.

This is why Luffy was shouting, "Damn! It hurts!! This is so tough!! I'm hungry!!. To which Katakuri responds, "What are you saying?". Luffy replies, "I said everything on my mind!! I feel better, now!".

This would be an example of Luffy practicing the use of certain universal laws~~ such as... he needed to act right then or he wasn't going to achieve his dreams. So, even if it hurt and it was tough and he was hungry~~ he still needed to do it. By saying so, he allowed his other chakras to flow more freely and he felt better because of it. Mood, and intent have a lot to do with chakra and auras.

---

I believe there are many other examples similar to this which I would point out as relating to types of chakra, however in practically each and every case~~ as the reader, I think there is a likelihood to a) dismissing them all or b) considering most of them to be blatantly obvious.

This particular example would be something I personally would consider blatantly obvious.

Marco Polo likes this.
  8. Mcguint

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

The explanation that Doflamingo provided goes something like...

"Listen up, Hatchling! Devil Fruit abilities have a whole other stage to them. It's called, "Awakening".".
    "Very rarely, an ability will "Awaken" and begin to affect things other than the users own body!!!".

You have, actually, argued this before. You're presuming Doflamingo meant this ability is exclusive to Devil Fruit users.

You should just keep assuming that, probably. I feel if you didn't accept my stance on it before and feel you need to rehash the argument, then I am inclined to believe you won't consider it more this time around.

But, to give you my side of things once more~~ I don't feel Doflamingo's explanation describes it as being an ability exclusive to Devil Fruit users but rather that Devil Fruit users sometimes awaken a new set of abilities based on possessing special qualities which allow the abilities to exceed their normal limitations. I have also described this as being a gradual evolution for them because it takes time to develop the use of Devil Fruit abilities let alone develop the use of Conqueror's Haki as well as understanding them both enough to combine them for this result to occur.

---

On your side of things... from what I understand, you're suggesting there are "lucky fruits" which sometimes give people extra abilities without further explanation. Or rather, I think I understand from your previous arguments that you believe they undergo evolution while already consumed by the user. Without going further, I'll stop right there and just say.... that's one way to look at it, and I understand you have put a lot of thought into it. So, it's nice for you to share it..

9. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Well, that is my main perspective right now considering that the only example of an awakening we've seen is a devil fruit user. But considering that the same character is also a haoshoku user, it's also fair and logical to think that haoshoku played a part in it as well. Indeed, I thought that the awakening of devil fruits was caused by another factor, possibly more directly related to the fruits themselves, but like I've said before, this view on haoshoku caused me to reconsider haoshoku's properties and the role it possibly plays in the awakening.

As such,this:
    actually isn't what I was suggesting. I went with your assumption that haoshoku can lead to the evolution of a person's secondary abilities through advanced use. To use an example that you used, swordsmen could have acquired evolved their swordplay into the ability to "cut all things". So what I was suggesting wasn't the existence of any sort of lucky fruit or anything of the kind. My suggestion was that there have been people in the past who similarly evolved their abilities into the power to " turn all things to magma / to ice / to sand / to fire / to darkness / etc " through the use of haoshoku. Then, before those people died, they left their wills into containers, that were known as "devil fruits" later on, and those containers could have respectively become the magma / ice / sand / fire / darkness / etc fruits. So I was suggesting that the devil fruits may gift the incomplete form ( not awakened due to lack of haoshoku haki or lack of proficiency over it ) of the original abilities to "turn everything into magma / ice /etc", even to people without haoshoku haki. And thus, people with haoshoku haki, like Luffy or Doflamingo, can overcome that barrier through the use of haoshoku and achieve the same state of awakening like the original creators of their respective devil fruits, like you're suggesting yourself.

10. Marco Polo

boy with luv
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

You might enjoy reading this: https://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece/Chapter-894--012-005-AM?id=402939

The scene with Luffy and Rayleigh focuses very heavily on a) Luffy's ability to sense Rayleigh's anger after he knocked over the food (mood), and b) Luffy's consideration of his opponent's personality when he fights them (intent). We all just kind of wrote that off as "Luffy being Luffy", but as you point out here this could be Oda applying concepts from chakra etc to Luffy's character, and by extension to Observation Haki as a whole based on Rayleigh saying that sensing feelings is one aspect of Observation Haki.

Seiryu likes this.
  11. Mcguint

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

#11 Mcguint, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Unfortunately, I do not find this interesting because I have already examined this in the past. Such is the case with most other occurrences. I would be lucky to find something I have not already taken consideration of I would think.

I am very much more interested in the more peculiar occurrences where this may occur, one's that are still mysterious or yet to be developed.

Marco Polo likes this.
  12. Mcguint

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

#12 Mcguint, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Concerning what you said, Yuzuume, to put it briefly~~ it can be explained in this manner.

a) My idea centers around one ultimate Devil.
    b) Your idea centers around a multitude of Devils.

I will explain my view on it. This story, like many other similar stories, tend to be based on an All is One concept. Moreover, some of the things which occurred to the Devil Fruits seem only likely to occur if they all underwent the same process.

It might be too coincidental for all the Gods of a supposed ancient past to suddenly have their spirits turned into trees which bear fruit with their powers in them.

It is seemingly more likely that one incident occurred in which all the Devil Fruits came into existence at once.

Moreover, the thing about "Gods" from a religious view is that.... there is no Fire God, or Ice God, or Water God, exactly... anything that is~~ is part of the universal energy matrix. The only real, "God" in the story is....

"Constantly regard the universe as one living being, having one substance and one soul; and observe how all things have reference to one perception, the perception of this one living being; and how all things act with one movement; and how all things are the cooperating causes of all things which exist; observe too the continuous spinning of the thread and the contexture of the web. "

A super consciousness which is connected to All Things, since.... all things are one in the same (by virtue of the philosophy).In that sense, the creator or light-bringer is Luffy and the great destroyer in the story is Blackbeard.

Also, if you would explain that each Devil Fruit equates to individual people~~ then, some of them are rather confounding. Especially where it concerns the paramecia group. Most of them are just verbs... like... if every Devil Fruit has a person's soul from the past.. then... like... who was the Castle-Castle God... or the Rubber-Rubber God... or the Full-Body Weapon God... or the Stitch-Stitch God...

I might give some weight to a Fire God (Logia) or a Bear God (Zoan). But, where it concerns the Paramecia types I don't think there's good explanations for that from this standpoint.

Moreover, you would be describing what is seemingly an absurd argument... the Devil Fruits kind of encompass All Things... so, like... if there's an individual person and fruit for each and every thing... well... I don't know.. that seems off... way off...

Try explaining why someone in the past gave birth to a power to what is now known as the, "Jacket-Jacket Fruit" abilities which allow a person to.... turn themselves into a jacket to be worn by someone else. Who was this? lol

Yuuzume likes this.
  13. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I was aware of your opinion on this being that all devil fruits originate from a single deity / person and it did of course cross my mind while thinking about the specifics of conqueror's haki in this thread. After all, when we're talking about how conqueror's haki allows one to affect their environment in a certain way based on one's complimentary abilities, it's logical for the mind to consider the possibility of the hypothetical ability to affect one's surroundings in any way possible / to control everything that would stem from fusing / merging all of the individual abilities together. It has been stated before in the series that the wielders of haoshoku haki are ones who have the qualities of a king / the potential to become a king, so a person wielding the aforementioned ability could be considered some sort of true king / supreme king. Still, having considered such a possibility, I do have difficulty accepting it even due to the mere omnipotence that it would introduce to the series. There is also the matter of how one would assemble all abilities when the highest number of them we've seen a single person wield is two but the crux of the matter is that it would be too overpowering. I mean, it's certainly possible and I like that it fits in with the rest of your theory but I don't think that such an overpowering ability would fit in with the series. So I considered the next option, which was multiple people, like you say.

It certainly would be coincidental for all those people to end up the same way if you considered it in general, but it's less so if you consider the possibility of all of them originating from the ancient kingdom. Either the same thing was done to them by the World Government in an attempt to turn their power into abilities that the WG leaders could use themselves or the Ancient Kingdom themselves did the same thing to themselves in an attempt to pass on their powers to people who could topple the WG. I do recall once suggesting that One Piece is really a device that allows for a person's will to switch vessel's. In any case, considering the possibility that they all originated from the AK and that they were on the brink of annihilation at some point, it's less far fetched to think that they all did the same thing to themselves or that it was done to them by the WG.

It's true that some abilities do seem somewhat weird compared to others, like you say. But isn't the case the same if we assume that they originated form a single deity / person? I mean, I can see why such an existence would split into elements ( fire, ice, etc ) or animals ( phoenix, dragon, etc ) but why would a " jacket - jacket fruit ability " be created when that existence split into multiple parts? If I were to give an answer to this question for either case ( both for a single deity and multiple people ), I'd say that those abstract abilities seem weird is because they are the limited representations of the original power. That is to say, the jacket jacket ability could merely be the limited version of the ability to " assume control over any object / person ".

14. Mcguint

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

#14 Mcguint, Apr 17, 2019
    You have to consider the logic behind that.

I'm emphasising a complete set of divine abilities in its whole.

You're emphasising individual abilities.

There's a big difference. Since you don't consider the All is One concept, you don't see the abilities as being part of the same thing.

From my view, The Voice of All Things is the key factor. All Things being the key word to consider.

It is more reasonable, at least to me, to consider that the abilities of the Jacket Jacket Fruit were just part of the essence of a Jacket in its core. Nobody needed to directly or purposefully focus only on Jackets as long as they could gain understanding about All Things.

And we are talking about men here, demigods. So they might be a lot more fallible than actual God's. It's all very difficult to consider overall though.

15. Mcguint

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

#15 Mcguint, Apr 17, 2019
    Consider this... Following your reasoning.. We are required to explain how a group of people mastered All Things, one thing per person.

That's quite a thing to imagine. As Devil Fruit abilities pertain to All Things.

In fact, I'm inclined to believe there are more abilities in question at this point than there are people involved.

Think about that for a second - - it means there would be a 1:1 ratio of person to things (abilities). That makes for really odd figures. Gross figures like.. How many things are there? (abilities) and how many "masters" must there have been for each of them? I don't know. That seems strange.

Nevermind how odd it is for someone to master jackets... The numbers alone seem off.

It gets even worse if you try to explain the timing of the whole ordeal-- how did an extremely high number of people all master All Things at relatively the same time.. One by one.. And all have their souls put into fruit bearing trees? How.

16. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Indeed I am emphasizing individual abilities but like I say in my previous comment, that's mainly cause I found the idea of a complete set of abilities too overpowering. I mean, if we assume that all devil fruit abilities are part of a complete set that was somehow split into said parts, then we also have to consider the possibility of them coming back together. That's plausible and it would even fit the "One Piece" idea by suggesting that One Piece is all powers combines into their original singular form but it would create an omnipotent being that wouldn't know an equal by the end of the series. A special body like Teach's that allows an extra ability is a recipe for a good villain but the idea of omnipotence is one for a broken villain in the sense that it'd be hard to make the idea of Luffy beating him believable.

As for the abundance of abilities, it's true that accommodating every possible power would requite an enormous amount of people. However, if there originally was a singular power that similarly split into individual powers and there was a power for everything, then wouldn't the devil fruits have been more commonplace in that scenario? Even if people weren't involved and the devil fruits originated from a singular power of all things, like you suggest, there would still be an abundance of devil fruits and they wouldn't be as rare as they have been hinted to be in the series. As such, it seems more logical to assume that the abilities in question are of a lower quantity than that in both scenarios. Whether there were abilities mastered by people or abilities that originate form the power of all things, it's safe to say that the number of devil fruits isn't particularly high.

On a side note, following your explanation on the jacket ability, isn't the suggestion that the jacket ability was one of the powers that appeared when the power of all things split apart equally weird to suggesting that there was a person who mastered a similar ability? Much as it is weird to say that: " People mastered the ability of fire, ice and...jackets ( though it is implied to be the ability to assume control over something, albeit in a weird way ) ", like I'm suggesting, isn't it also weird to suggest that: "When the power of all things split apart, there appeared the power of fire, ice and...jackets? ". It's reasonable in both cases to me when I view it as the ability to assume control over something / someone but as far as weirdness goes, isn't it the same in both cases as well?

Lastly, it's worth noting that there is a scenario where both possibilities fit together. Consider the possibility that there is a power of all things, like you're suggesting, but that the devil fruit abilities don't originate from that power splitting apart. Consider that haoshoku haki is similar to the essence of the power of all things, hence its users can "touch upon" the power of all things and gain similar, yet limited, abilities depending on their complementary ones. So we would essentially have individual abilities created by people ( devil fruit abilities ) but there would still be the power of all things and the ability that would allow for a person to create said abilities would be the power similar to the essence of the power of all things, haoshoku haki. That would explain the small number of devil fruits and would also consider the existence of the power of all things that allowed for that to take place. And there would also be people like Luffy, who were more attune to the power of all things through their haoshoku, which would also explain why he can hear the voice of all things. After all, Rayleigh has stated that Luffy is more attune to feeling the emotions of other people when they were talking about kenbunshoku haki but maybe that trait is not limited to just kenbunshoku and also applies to haoshoku.

17. Mcguint

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I won't be arguing about it, in any case. I'm not here to talk about your idea or a combination of our ideas.

I know what yours is and I simply don't see it as worth pursuing from my perspective. I've chosen this. Your questions about it are of some concern but if some are based out of disliking the idea of all the abilities being part of one set of abilities because it's too powerful then I cant really help you there. That's part of the idea.

18. Mcguint

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Regarding whether this idea is weird or not though concerns whether or not this has been done before in other similar works (and it has).

So, to be clear, One Piece having an All is One concept at its core is about as weird as Naruto or Toriko having it. And it would appear those stories are heavily influenced by that. The very foundation even.

19. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

You misunderstood there, I didn't say anything of the sort about the idea of an " All is One " concept. I only said that a person deciding to master an ability that later turned to be the jacket jacket fruit doesn't seem any more weird than the jacket fruit appearing when the power of all things split apart. Or rather, it'd be more proper to say that the existence of a power like the jacket jacket fruit is kind of unique by itself regardless of how it came to be. So no, I wasn't talking about the general idea then. Also, apologies for bringing other scenarios in the conversation but the point of mentioning them was just to help me digest the underlying details behind the general reasoning and how those details affect each scenario, yours included, so I could better form an opinion of my own on the matter. I understand that you've formed your own opinion on this and I wasn't trying to suggest that the case was otherwise to you but thank you for your thoughts on those scenarios thus far, they were of benefit to me in forming my own opinion. I respect the fact that you want to keep the focus of the discussion on the one scenario that you've presented. As far as that goes, the only part I have trouble accepting is the ones that involves the power of all things begin responsible for creating the devil fruit abilities, though the rest of my questions weren't based on that opinion or had anything to do with it, but you are correct in that there wouldn't be any use discussing about that as it is indeed a central piece of your suggestion. I am open to the possibility of it as it is quite a logical possibility to consider, based on the surrounding details, but I'll personally go with an alternative version. Regardless, thank you for the conversation up to this point, it was quite beneficial in leading me to re evaluate haoshoku's properties and form an opinion about how that affects other scenarios.

20. Kia

Kia
    Wickedly Wanton Way with Words
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Please excuse the interjection without catching up on the conversation. However I had a thought while meditating today as I’m going to be Luffy. @Mcguint I’m sure that you’ve considered this, so I’m not aiming to insult your intelligence. I just thought it would be good information to share.

I don’t believe his colors are incidental or accidental. The red is for the root chakra which is very much his grounded, selfish (not a bad word) nature. The blue is for the throat chakra and he is since the beginning always expressing his aim to be the Pirate King as a means of ensuring its manifestation. The yellow sash showing up after the TS as a representation of the sacral chakra is the haoshoku Haki he trained, the will and fire he gained from Ace, the will from Rayleigh and his own renewed will to reach his goals and protect his nakama. The white on his shorts is the crown chakra which is an older/alternative classification for it and shows his connection to the universal energy. Again, just my early morning musings. Thanks for your patience. Off to get ready for Sakura-Con now ^_^

Marco Polo likes this.