1. Participate in the Monthly PAW May 2018 with a special category for our anniversary!
  2. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

How to improve the forum!!

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Feedback & Support' started by Bakugan2556, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Do you want more stuff on the forum?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2018.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Night mode SUCKS

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Bakugan2556

Nintendo Enthusiast, Currently playing Splatoon 2
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

You know, what fuck it, let's do some more SUGGESTIONS, im doing this for the 3rd time lol. For today's topic, let's talk about.....

HOW TO IMPROVE THE FORUM!!!
    Please note: this is just a general discussion on how to improve the forum, IN GENERAL @Marco Polo pls don't lock this thread like you did the last one(although I admit i was in the wrong in that scenario)

Ways to improve the forum:
    A) Message/ announcement bots
    What I am referring to here is making a "bot" (most likely just a admin account that is run by some form of executable) which should do these tasks:
    A1) When users sign up, should send them a message with a guide to the forum and a link to konnichiwa (because many people on the internet don't know how to use links, if that was false, Microsoft scams wouldn't be a thing)
    A2) When important announcements need to be made, owl could use a bot to create a thread/and or conversation that everyone is given a alert to.
    On that note, my next idea is...
    B)More alerts
    The basic premise of alerts in this forum isn't bad, but could be expanded. My idea? Make more ways an alert is "triggered"(using triggered as that describes the alert function the best in non-technical terms) Here are some options:
    B1) Alerts trigger when someone adds you to a conversation
    Wouldn't be that useful, but would be nice to have.
    B2) Alerts should trigger when your "rank" improves (refering to ranks like Moderater, and the haki ranks)
    Like B1, this wouldn't be really useful, but would be nice to have.
    For this next one, Yes i do know that this has been talked about alot on this section, but i just want to expand on it.
    C)More Subsections
    I do know that Owl doesn't really want this, as it would be disorganised, but i think it would be kinda cool. For example, let's say we take the Announcements section, and we organise everything. We could take all of the announcements related to contests(member of the season as an ex) and we could give that it's own area, and do the same with all the other posts. I also think there should be a "topic of the day" area, where one of the mods select a post that they feel is interesting(and maybe a topic of the week, month, etc)
    D)More stuff in the post creator
    I feel that he post creator is a little... outdated. I think that adding compatibility with other types of coding languages(such as java or C+) could be possible, although harder than just adding some more ways to add videos. Speaking of which, I think there should be a way to embed Soundcloud music into posts, so that in threads like "what is your favorite song"(probably a thing on the forum, don't know for sure LOL) we can, instead of posting a link, just embed the song into the thread.
    And lastly

E) More customization on profile
    I still remember when i first signed up on the forum, and i found that the max file size for images was 512m(or something close to that) and I wanted to use a gif from the internet(Im the single person who uses a gif) and was frustrated that i couldn't use any. I understand the reasoning (too many large images could crash the server or overload the hosting site you use) but it's kinda annoying. Also, i think that, besides that, I think we should have a custom "meet me" section below our profile pic that shows all our listed social media and our blurb(since who even reads our blurbs LOL)

If you want, tell me what you want to add to the forum!

2. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I know this is planned, but LIKES ON REPLIES TO PROFILE POSTS
    Also maybe a patreon so the website can get more money for more upgrades from people who have money!

Glaze D. Bacon likes this.
  3. Udell

Expand Collapse

I agree I'm a member of a few forums and this forum could honestly use a lot of help.

1. Firstly get some interesting emojis on here, maybe some more One Piece emojis would be nice and better laughing reacts and not the ones here that comes built in a new cellphone. The OPF V2 Smilies is a step in the right direction, get more of those because everything else is meh. Go to Narutoforums and look at theirs yall could learn something. The talking head section they got is golden and every user used them but I don't even bother with what we got here.

2. Like the original poster said more customization might be a good idea but not a huge deal IMO. It could serve as a nice pull factor for potential members.

3. The biggest problem this forum currently has is member participation. People are likely to go anther forum for discussion because nothing much happens here when a new chapter is release. Some people post their thoughts of a chapter as a review and that's it. No discussion nothing. SOmetimes you get a discussion going with like 2-3 people max. Heck there is even a one guy who only drops by to share his youtube chapter review which I won't even bother watching. We gotta find some way to improve.

4. Even with the temporary fail of Orojackson this forum failed to keep new members interested. Trust me I know because when I first made my account here I disappeared after a month because I discovered OJ and it's honestly the best One Piece forum I encountered because the member participation is off the charts. Heck I am member of Narutoforum as well before I joined here and in terms of One Piece discussion Opforum is loosing. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of OJ members went to Arlong park or somewhere else.

Essentially Opforum should focus it's attention on member recruiting.

5. Giving members incentives to actually log in each day might be a good idea. That way people are talking and discussion something. You get some slight activity on this forum on a chapter release and it becomes a ghost town a day later. Kinda depressing. I mean I usually count the amount of members online for this forum. Really can't do that anywhere else.

If you guys love a really small circle you can disregard what I said but discussion are more interesting with more people because more people = more opinions. Opinions and other position on a matter is what leads to an actual discussion.

4. Marco Polo

desu-pacito
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

//locked

I believe this has been suggested in some manner before: https://opforum.net/threads/owlbot-1-0.53007/
    I'd be for this, since I'm really bad at updating the forum announcment thread, but @Owl has implemented the news banner on the front page of the forum that covers the major stuff

Actually, @Owl , could you put member of the year on the announcment banner please? Pretty please?

If you want more alerts, you can change your Alert Preferences and tick all the boxes https://opforum.net/account/alert-preferences
    You should get alerts when you're added to a conversation, if you aren't you might have to double-check your settings

A sub for an archive of all the old member award voting threads would be good, actually
    As for "topic of the day/week", I'm not sure forum activity is high enough for that at the moment. What topics do you suggest?

The "Anime & Manga Series" section has been restructured fairly recently, I want to rennovate the "Anime & Manga Specific" section but I need the boss' assistance for that

Not my area, this is more for @Owl , @Cosmos and @JollyR

GIF avatars work, if you want to attach a GIF to a post I think you just have to copy/paste the URL, since I don't think you can embed them at the moment

You can embed music and video from YouTube already I think

I think the listed social media thing would be a privacy issue of sorts, since we're all "anonymous" in a sense here, until we either show our face in the picture thread, or feature on the YouTube channel. I know personally, I only really give my social media to people I know fairly well on the forum, so I wouldn't be too thrilled about having members I don't really interact with find my Twitter (which is linked here) or my Facebook (which might be linked here but I don't remember) - especially my Facebook since there's pictures of my friends/family/girlfriend there

This is a public domain, so I think there'd have to be other settings to stop guests from finding your personal social media pages.

5. Glaze D. Bacon

「The Emperor 4」
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

*Breathe in*

NIGHT MOOOOODE:shoutingsanji:

6. Bakugan2556

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#6 Bakugan2556, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2018
    NIGHT MODE SUCKSSSSS IT’S USELLESS :P

Yeah i understand what your are saying, one last thig i should mention is what I meant when i was talking about gifs is that the file size should be larger. Yes i know you can embed youtube videos, but A) People who use Opforum at school( like me) most likely won’t be able to use youtube( at my school most computers have restricted mode enabled and you cant turn it off, and the filter is shit) however soundcloud is generally not blocked( never has been in my case)

Dont have time to type anything else, am on bus on mobile

7. Marco Polo

desu-pacito
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Pay attention in class man

8. Deathbloke

calvin klein model
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Tell your teacher to disable it.

Marco Polo likes this.
  9. Grin

Happy
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yeah...you probably shouldn't be doing that.

Chaudfontaine and Marco Polo like this.
  10. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

(*nervous sweating*)
    I only do that during breaks! I promise!

4thBlade and Chaudfontaine like this.
  11. sweetjacky

Purrrrple Kitty
    Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I like A1, we had that on forumpiece and I think it was nice! I remember one time when I welcomed someone before thethe bot did, felt awesome :cool:

And I'm totally for C as well!!! I wrote about it in my suggestion thread too but nothing was done :/

Why shouldn't he? Reminds me of my school days with Forumpiece <3

12. Grin

Happy
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

You're not asking seriously, are you? If Youtube is blocked on the school computer then presumably it's because they expect you to do actual work, not goof around which you can do with your phone any minute you want these days.

And that was okay in class?

13. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

>Im the single person who uses a gif
    yea because I don't like half of a episode as my avatar, thanks

the night mode would be supersweet. The rest is kinda meh imo. I like it, there could be some improvements but my life needs improvements too, so who am I to judge.

14. sweetjacky

Purrrrple Kitty
    Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I did it secretly :cool: And mostly in breaks xD

15. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Here we go again.
    I give this thread a week of activity, tops.

Pretty much, but you need interesting activity on the forum to get new people in and stay.
    This place is way more community orientated than it is a place to actually discuss OP, or any other series.

Udell and Grin like this.
  16. Grin

Happy
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

This is very true, lol.

Though for me personally it is because I don't care much for OP and the other stuff I watch/read is not popular here.

17. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Why can't i edit a post in NSFW section?

18. Rohan

Expand Collapse

Udell, I would like to say that you should not put much hope on OJ's closure to give this place a surge in activity. Even if activity increases because of OJ members, most of them will leave once OJ reopens. Best to bring original members than members from other One Piece forums.

On to my suggestions,

1. Add two more rank Colors, Teal and Gold to bring more variety in rank Colors. So the rank system could be Blue - Teal - Green - Gold - Red.
    2. Make the first rank have a low requirement but make the last two ranks have high requirements to make it challenging.
    3. Make the Maroon rank color into Red.
    4. Incorporate the ranking system into the Trophy system.
    5. Instead of plain text rank bars, replace them with image rank bars. @
    6. Rank Colors and staff Colors should be visible in "Users online list".
    7. Make a dark theme. @
    8. Make a forum banner on the current One Piece arc to give a feeling of newness. @
    9. Give admin group a Black Glow. :p
    Points with @ are not essential as they are harder to do. The rest can be done and mostly focus on making people post more.

The rank Colors can be decided by a poll but there should be five of them.

19. Bakugan2556

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

20. Grin

Happy
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Already in use for YouTube team.

Edit: Gold is used for supermods, see @Kyros