1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

How will Luffy utilize the new level of Armament?

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga' started by camoramo24, Apr 14, 2019.

1. camoramo24

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I don't know why I didn't bother to make this thread earlier but I want to hear what you guys think will happen. In the manga Luffy has been trying to achieve a new level of armament haki, in the hopes of defeating Kaido. This form of haki was displayed by Rayleigh when he was originally teaching Luffy how to use haki. A way to attack without physically touching your opponent. This level of Haki is sure to boost all of Luffy's attacks, so here is my question for you guys. How do you think Luffy will use this new haki? I am thinking that he will either make a new gear/ Variation of 4th gear dedicated to the new haki. I don't know what he would call it, but I am thinking either Gear 4th Ironman(full body armament haki), Gear 4th invisibleman(invisible hits punches), Gear 4th gattlingman/bulletman(all of his punches are now far range like an actual bullet), or Gear 4th Sniperking( I realize this last on is usopp).

Let me know what you guys think!

Juggy and Seiryu like this.
  2. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

The potential is definitely there since we already see it at a theoretical maximization (per the user's physical capabilities) in Sentoumaru. Since Gear Fourth is astronomically stronger, faster, every single physical trait then we can just imagine Sentoumaru on steroids.

It is definitely for defensive purposes though. Don't forget we got a name from Rayleigh with the busoushoku "armor". There is offensive capabilities because it is a true/full parrying technique.

camoramo24 and Juggy like this.
  3. camoramo24

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yea, I it is definitely intended for defensive purposes, but the way Luffy wants to use it seems completely offensive. He isn't thinking, "how am I going to block Kaido's attacks", he's thinking, "how am I going to hurt him". That's why I was thinking it would still be an offensive gear.

I'm 90% sure it works on the theory of van der waals attractive and repulsive forces. Essentially, the closer two molecules get to each other the stronger the attractive forces, however at some point as they get closer to each other the molecules reach some peak attraction, and then the molecule quickly start to repel each other, and the rate repulsion increases drastically as the two molecules get even slightly closer to each other.

The barrier that rayleigh formed, let's say it had a sphere for a hit box. Raighleigh was able to repel the elephant so far away because it was a big molecule coming close to the giant sphere of haki Rayleigh created around him.

When newly name Master Hyo says you have to let it flow. I think luffy is essentially learned how to make this sphere either big enoughs so that the maximum repulsion happens before his fist make contact, or he is working on moving the sphere to different locations around his body so repulsion happens sooner with respect to the body part he wants to hit with. I'm also assuming that everyone has this theoretical sphere, but you can train to increase the size, as of right now Luffys sphere isn't that big.

Seiryu likes this.
  4. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Oda is not planning things out. It cannot be a purely offensive gear because it is easily negated. Because this is a "basic" technique, every powerhouse enemy can just use their own busoushoku armor to negate Luffy's "Repel-man" version of Gear Fourth. That panel you mention is what has me very worried about the legitimacy of the action we get. It doesn't matter if Luffy loses, but I will have major issue if this new technique is what allows Luffy to win.
    Ah, that's actually a perfect scientific explanation. In a perfect parry, the moment right before contact, the counter is applied (to maximize the amount of opponent's energy used). There is a "sweet spot" where the force has to switch from "attraction" to "repelling".
    Hmm...I had a different take. Per my bias, Luffy is still completely failing (in my mind he has no "sphere" at all). Yes, we do see similar haki visualizations with Luffy, but the panel on the armadillo guy's face shows just a normal punch to me.

My analogy is Luffy being a complete dunce at judo. Judo is literally nothing but parries. Because his technique is absolute crap, Luffy cannot throw anyone. He is just trying to muscle his way through everything and is completely failing (imagine a little kid trying to throw an adult). It is 100% possible with good technique but impossible without.

camoramo24 likes this.
  5. camoramo24

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Alright I see what you are saying, Luffy's training has never been about technique, it has always been about power. He has never learned the proper way to exert that power. So this arc will teach him proper fighting technique or just how to be calm?

6. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

No no. That judo analogy is purely for "busoushoku armor". He definitely has finesse/technique to many parts of his fighting style (for example, Gear Second necessitates the control of imbuing haki into ALL of his arteries, veins, and heart). He is failing at busoushoku armor because he is "muscling it" rather than "finesse" (Hyou-jiji is saying this in the chapter). I use judo because every judo throw is a parry. Even a tiny 4 foot something, 100 pound girl can easily toss 300 pound body builders with proper technique (and we have lots of stories like this in Hawaii, not so much in Japan since only sumo fighters get that big when I was growing up; lots of stories in Japan if the size of the male is decreased).

For Luffy learning busoushoku armor, it is both. He has to be calm to concentrate on the "flow" and control of his haki. Hopefully Oda comes up with the exact mechanics so Hyou-jiji gives Luffy detailed feedback on what he is doing wrong.

camoramo24 likes this.