1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Hunter x Hunter 2011 - General Anime Discussion

Discussion in 'Hunter x Hunter' started by blossom-chan, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Sprasle

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

The 1999 version has many differences from the original manga, while the 2011 version covers almost all of it (though it has an ending already) and it's done by Madhouse, so visually it looks god-like.
    For both reasons I highly recommend to only watch the 2011 version, you gain nothing by watching also/only the 1999 version.

2. Red

Red
    4ever REDDY
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Cool. Thanks for the heads up, Imma gonna start watching it now :D

Ah, thanks mate! I'll do as you say and start watching the 2011 version. :D

3. ZakNik

Legendary God of Speed
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

no problemo

4. R1pp3r D. Pervert

Unofficial forum mod
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Watch 2011

Even tho 1999 version with all OVA's is cannon and stuff, 2011 version is better in art and animation.
    Also 1999 version only covers the story until the end of Green Island. Where 2011 continues with that massive Ant Arc.

I saw both and loved both the same. Point of HxH is massive upgrade from manga to anime and that's the biggest beauty of the story.

5. Red

Red
    4ever REDDY
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

So the 1999 version is incomplete.. Thanks for that, very informative.

Thanks guys. I watched the first episode and I absolutely loved it. The music was amazing, as were the characters. :smile:

6. arthurLinc

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

HxH is amazing! For me is by far one of the bests. The story is great, the characters are well built, all have strong personalities. Good powers, the explanation for the powers is good as well... The way the characters get stronger and evolve is believable . It's simply good! The only problem is the author who keeps going in and out hiatus for years...

7. sgn15

Expand Collapse

best thing about HxH are the training arcs, which other anime usually avoid by using a TIMESKIP instead. Also, HxH has those strategy games where strength is not really the deciding factor, it's more of the brains. Kurapika and Killua are best examples of this.

8. Saami

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I agree with this, I would prefer to see them train and learn more about how they get stronger instead of just doing a timeskip but sometimes several timeskips are more logical. For example Naruto went from not being able to take a bell from Kakashi to becoming the strongest shinobi of all time.

9. sgn15

Expand Collapse

Imagine Hisoka seeing Gon against Neferpitou LOL. He might pass out from his "Gon-gasm" :smug:

10. ZakNik

Legendary God of Speed
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I like it cause it's fast paced...fights dont goes for 15 episodes it is over in 1 or 2 max 3 episodes

11. Red

Red
    4ever REDDY
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I just watched 9 episodes of this anime, and quite frankly, it's really good! Gon and Kurapika are really cool! Haven't really established a favorite character yet as its too soon, but I'm loving all of them <3

Thank you all for suggesting this. :dance:

12. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Listening to this now... (ending 5)

Sintown and Icecrusher like this.
  13. Sintown

Expand Collapse

#53 Sintown, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    I never would have watched the original because it looked too serious, but the new one is really good and I like the style as it's modernized. I watched it all the way through in Japanese, but I can't get past Episode 4 in English. It's a great show to invest in the storylines of the characters and it does get quite dark. It's like Hunter games, for anyone who doesn't know how to get hooked.

From this I discovered "Fear, And Loathing in Las Vegas" one of my favourite bands. "Just Awake" is the first end credits theme.

In Episode 13, Letter x Home x From x Gon it plays twice at the end, and in one of the later episodes in the Yorknew city arc with the Phantom Troupe it plays on the radio in the hotel, I think Episode 57 Initiative x and x Law.

14. KKG

KKG
    I hate every haters of the anime in my avatar
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#54 KKG, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    I tried this anime recently and i can't understand why people call it best anime ever.
    Other thing people say is this is a shounen...
    In a shounen i would be looking for action,all i saw in 70 boring episodes before i droped it was Gon and Killua talking crap and playing a stupid card game.
    Madhouse is wasting time with this.
    I would watch another season of Devil May Cry or Parasyte,Claymore also needs another season because the first one was ruinned,but there is no manga material.
    I can say this:
    Hunter x Hunter is a shounen jump anime full of spam and cheap talk but where is the action?
    A stupid gorilla killing gangsters?
    If i knew they would just be collecting cards i would just watch Yu Gi Oh,at least i would see monsters fighting!

15. Lt. | ArkZ

Balls to the wall, or not at all...
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I mean, sure, I don't think Hunter x Hunter is the best anime ever. It also suffers a lot in terms of it's Manga series due to the regular hiatuses from the Author.

Shonen is a Genre of Manga or Anime, aimed primarily at a young male audience. Though it is typically characterized by Action filled plots, it is not exclusively filled with them.

Hunter x Hunter is not your typical Shonen. Its cast has a lot of strong development, especially early on, which is why the start of the series, a lot like Katekyo Hitman Reborn (But to a less extreme level) can be seen as boring.

It also doesn't involve a lot of senseless fight scenes. The fights normally follow one of two routes:

A. - A stomp. No real thought put behind it, it is mainly just there to show an overwhelming power-gap between opponents, or to show off some "bad-assery".

or

B. - Strategic Fighting. Not just wildly punching a flurry and hoping to defeat your opponent, or pulling the power boost of friendship out of their asses. Any equal fight involves a thought process, and this is heavily demonstrated later on in the series.

That is subjective, and solely your opinion (Not saying it isn't also shared by others, but I personally believe you'd be in the minority of that argument)

Personally, I'd like to see a return of the series.

Out of the two anime you've listed, I've only ever read/watched one of them. The one I watched is Parasyte, which came to a satisfying end. Not to happy, but not wanting you to absolutely yearn for more. I believe they'd just be milking and killing the series if they brought it back.

Opinion, and unrelated to the topic.

All Shonen anime are full of spam and cheap talk.
    (Bleach, Getsuga Tensho/Hollow Mask
    Fairy Tail/Black Clover, Bullshit friendship boost power ups, and an obnoxious shouty MC
    Naruto, Shadowclone jutsu and about 50,000 different variations of Rasengan (Which has now been inherited by his son, Boruto)
    One Piece (not as bad), Gear 2-4th as of this post and Nakama)

In fact, I'd probably say HxH has the least of this type of trope in it.

The follow is a quote, and in spoiler tags, but it does capture how I feel about the story pretty well:

I loved that the main characters in HxH were rarely the most powerful or, for that matter, the most relevant. Often, it isn’t their strength, but their ability to out think their opponents that leads to their victory and it is rarely clear who will be victorious, creating endless possibilities for how a battle will end. One of my biggest qualms with most programmes in the shonen genre (fighting animes) is how it is usually obvious how a fight will end.

Gon and Killua function as a way to bring light to otherwise dark storylines. They can be funny, adorable, and capable of evoking strong emotions in the viewer, but, more importantly, their childlike innocence and playfulness contrasts with the gravitas of the situations which surround them. When shit goes down, they can often be found having a petty quarrel or playing rock paper scissors. They argue, have fun, and come up with unorthodox solutions to problems. Their whimsy provides a needed dichotomy as Hunter X Hunter has a tendency to evoke melancholy in almost every episode.

However, beneath their happy and friendly demeanour, lies deeply entrenched inner turmoil. Killua, for example, becomes emotionally dependent on Gon, using their friendship as a way to escape his previous life as an assassin and forget about the cruel torture he endured as a child. Their friendship later comes to a head when Killua realises that his friend has become selfishly transfixed on one of his own desires and ignored the pain it was causing him.

https://culturedvultures.com/why-hunter-x-hunter-2011-may-be-the-best-anime-ever/

Then to finalize my post:

Go watch Yu-Gi-Oh then.

I would agree with some things you've highlighted; if you're after a feel-good senseless beat-em-up type style Anime, then HxH is not the anime for you. As I quoted earlier;

"I loved that the main characters in HxH were rarely the most powerful or, for that matter, the most relevant. Often, it isn’t their strength, but their ability to out think their opponents that leads to their victory and it is rarely clear who will be victorious, creating endless possibilities for how a battle will end. One of my biggest qualms with most programmes in the shonen genre (fighting animes) is how it is usually obvious how a fight will end."

It's a series that follows more with the emotions and struggles of the characters, it involves a decent amount of thinking and looking into sub-text, not mindlessly finding the next beefy looking man or woman to punch into oblivion.

You're also focusing a lot on the Game Island Arc, which can come across as misleading, as it wasn't about collecting cards (sure, it was a thing), but instead about training and bettering themselves, developing them as characters, being introduced properly to Nen (read as: Chi, Ki, Energy, Musou, etc...), ending with an obstacle for them to overcome, who they wouldn't normally be able to beat by conventional means.

16. KKG

KKG
    I hate every haters of the anime in my avatar
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

A respectable opinion too.
    100% true.
    This is your opinion too,Parasyte was excellent and crazy starting from the opening music and the fights or the idea of the anime,they only talk when they have to,and they explain it very simple.
    Very nice balance between talking and acting.
    I love animes like those and i wanted a new season,but it wasn't on the author's plans,sad.

One Piece is the spam champion,Bleach is the filler champion and Naruto is the shitty main character champion.
    This was a comparison.
    What can i say?
    If they weren't trainning,they were looking at some map and searching for cards and talking too much.
    For you it can be good,but for me it's boring,the few fights i saw weren't very bad at all but talking too much before it makes me sleep.
    All that matters in a shounen for me is to enjoy the fights,and about the talking,the quicker the better.
    I hate when characters are fighting and sudenly in another episode i have to watch some shit from the past of some of them and other annoying crap is when they look at each other and you see the mc's face,then the enemy's,then the mc...precious seconds wasted
    The greatest problem of these type of animes is the pacing,studios want to stretch it as much as they can,and sometimes they waste more than half of the show with boring shit.
    Thanks for your opinion.