1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Im-Sama is Mihawk Theory

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga' started by GoldenFlashGoudy, Jul 12, 2018.

1. GoldenFlashGoudy

Expand Collapse

Ever since we were introduced to Im-Sama I’ve been intrigued. Just like in Naruto when they introduced Tobi, who I guessed was Obito months before the reveal when many were still hanging on to the idea that he was Madara. I’ll admit, at this point I don’t have as concrete evidence as I did when I made the Tobito claim but bear with me. I’ll add to it as we get more info from the manga.

The first thing I look at may seem the most shallow but turned out to be my first major clue to Tobi being Obito as well so why change what has worked in the past? Just like Tobi literally being in the Name Obito if rearranged, Mi of the Mihawk in reverse is Im. Not rock solid evidence but it’s something to think about.

The first piece of physical evidence we get is the eyes being exactly like Mihawks. This doesn’t mean it couldn’t be a relative or someone else with a similar eye trait but it seems awfully similar and thus far only Hawkeyes, Zunisha, and Cavendish have displayed this trait meaning it can’t be that common.

How about how Mihawk lives in a literal castle with a royal throne made of red velvet and gold... We see that when Zoro trains with him during the timeskip, even his behavior is that of a royal, regal person who is clearly quite Worldly. He certainly doesn’t seem like your average, run of the mill Pirate type buccaneering and drinking Rum. He seems way more like a world noble than a Pirate.

The holy land Mariejois is themed on being a home to the celestial dragons and the god kings of the one piece world. Interesting that Mihawk has a lot of religious themes in his design, from his cross pendant to the giant cross sword he wields which happens to be the worlds strongest blade... Im guessing he was given this by his Dad the previous King of the entire World as an heirloom. Speaking of swords, the sword scene with the throne seems like an obvious homage to being the worlds greatest swordsmen. Obviously it could simply be the way kings show equality under the “empty” throne, but swords seem like a very specific choice...

The only snag in this is why he would teach Zoro an enemy trying to kill him to claim the #1 swordsmen title and how on earth the gorossei would be fine with him roaming the open ocean on a raft alone or fighting in the whitebeard war. I just don’t normally see kings or shadow leaders out in open conflict without some sort of body guard group. Wouldn’t the world government worry about a random rogue wave killing him on his raft, I mean we have seen how violent the weather gets in One Piece. Perhaps he is just such a monster it doesn’t matter so they don’t need to guard him but that stuck out to me as a hole in the theory.

In any case wanted to see what you all thought :)

Seiryu likes this.
  2. Admiral Ryokugyu

f(b/{gj/mj|{
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I wanna add something to this theory:

- Mihawk is the only Shichibukai with an unknown bounty value.

- Imu used a sword to tear those bounties.

But anyway, I thought of the same thing when Imu's eyes were revealed but I don't think Mihawk is Imu.
    Mihawk was the one to bring Shanks Luffy's bounty and he even saw Luffy in Baratie and in Marineford, so why would he stare at Luffy's bounty in Mary Geoise like if it's the first time he sees him ?

Mihawk saw D. in Luffy's bounty years ago when he brought it to Shanks, yet he accepted to train that D.'s first mate ? So either Imu the King of the World Govt knows nothing about D. or Mihawk is not Imu. Gotta be the second option 100%, Mihawk is not Imu.

3. PirateKing_D_Luffy

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

first thing we need to take a look on the time line ... The Void century, Gorossei, Vegapunk & World Government , Gol.D Roger & Whitebeard era seems to be older than Mihawk.

Second point is '''His Dad as previous King of all the world" can be partially correct but Mihawk been his hier to the throne does not goes well.

Mihawk is from Shanks era.

He stays alone and no one knows of his past which could be a sad one.

I don't have much to say but I think there can be a possibility that IMU sama is Mihawk father...and you will see Mihawk joining hands with SH team to defeat him.

4. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

It’s impossible for them to be the same person. Mihawk is a Warlord who already lives in a castle of his own and does not have authority over the Five Elders. He, like all the other Warlords except Doflamingo, does not know about the National Treasure simply because he was not raised as a Noble. Mihawk does not need the use of a power to wipe out anything he sees fit, since he is already the greatest swordsman in the world and can do as much destruction as he likes without having to tell the Five Elders. The idea that Mihawk and Imu have the same eye pattern is too vague.

Mihawk’s bounty was rescinded when he joined the Warlords, but why would the King of the World have one in the first place?

Imu’s sword that he used was dramatically different from Mihawk’s. Remember, anyone can use a sword.

Marco Polo likes this.
  5. Admiral Ryokugyu

f(b/{gj/mj|{
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

( As you saw in my answer above, I don't think that Mihawk is Imu I only gave 2 clues that might support the theory )

The bounties are made by the Navy, not the World Govt. The Navy know nothing about Imu, so they won't know that Mihawk is Imu and as a result they'll publish a bounty for him.

Again, Mihawk is NOT Imu in my opinion.

Glaze D. Bacon likes this.
  6. GoldenFlashGoudy

Expand Collapse

1. Why impossible? A king of the whole one piece World can't have more than one castle? Also do you have confirmation that he does not have authority over the five elders? I have seen nothing that indicates either in favor or against that idea so I don't know where you are coming from with that. He could very well be giving them orders off-panel kind of like Tobi did in Naruto for a long time before he revealed himself as the main villain. Also where does it say he doesn't know about the national treasure? If you told me a chapter where the Elders said they don't take orders from him or a panel where a character says Mihawk specifically doesn't know about the national treasure I'd agree but I don't think that occurred in the cannon of One Piece.

2. Do we know it was rescinded? I don't recall them ever claiming that Mihawk had a bounty, just that one of the perks of becoming a Warlord is they remove the warrant. That does not, however, imply that every Warlord had a bounty before joining. It is quite possible he never had a bounty to begin with.

3. The sword Imu used may be for ceremony or one of the many left by the kings. This does not prove that he doesnt have the black sword somewhere, perhaps even behind the ornate throne.

You could very well be right, but most of what you are saying is not in the manga, or maybe I just missed it.

I think the stronger arguments for Im-Sama not being Mihawk are:
    1. The crown looks girly to me and its hard to tell by the silhouette but looks more feminine in general.
    2. Why would Mihawk need a robe and mask, while rolling around the oceans without it?
    3. Mihawk openly hangs out with Shanks, knows of Luffy as a D. and yet doesnt seem to care one bit. Like someone mentioned earlier, had he been IM-sama, why not just kill Luffy when he is weak at Barate and not have to worry about the Will of D. coming back to bite him.

Thanks for challenging the ideas guys! Also if you don't think its Mihawk who do you think it is?

7. BooSheyt

Expand Collapse

As mentioned above "He stays alone and no one knows of his past which could be a sad one.
    " You just said it.

The theory is somehow close to reality. We have seen Im-sama's eyes and we can compare it to Mihawk. Also, no one ever saw that Shanks had a connection to the Gorosei, he seemed very welcome anytime. Isn't it because of their bond, Mihawk and Shanks, that's why Shanks was very much welcome?

Still, we'll have many years to wait till it'd be revealed. HEHE

GoldenFlashGoudy likes this.
  8. BooSheyt

Expand Collapse

In addition.. Talking about Mihawk's era, he should be at the same Shanks' era but I've read about something like Hocrux, the One Piece, in some theories here.

and i find it interesting.

9. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

You do realize it's only proper for a king to claim a single throne? Due to Imu's status as a secret ruler, he governs the entire world and does not need a separate, lesser throne on every single island, especially one inhabited by man-monkeys. I don't believe Mihawk would be giving orders to the Five Elders because he's more of the relaxing type who was bored enough to slice up Don Krieg's fleet.

Borrowing a previously-made idea from Naruto and using it as a parallel for One Piece won't quite help you in this context, either. Like I said, Mihawk is not one to give orders, and does not seem to care about major events that are happening in the world. We can assume that Imu had a say in Ohara's destruction, but would Mihawk care? Of course not. Mihawk only cares about his reputation as a swordsman and does not need to concern himself with the world's politics; he is a pirate, after all. So just as you ask me, I shall ask you: without using Naruto as a base, can you confirm how Mihawk, a Warlord that has sold his soul to the government, could be commanding the Five Elders?

Concerning the National Treasure, there is not a single instance in the series where it is mentioned by any of the other Warlords except Doflamingo. I've practically watched the anime twice and I'm reading the manga, so I know.

Every single Warlord in the series had a bounty because they were all pirates. This is fake news.

It can be deduced that that is a personal sword of his. Taking one of the swords from the Empty Throne is a violation of the oath of equality between the First Twenty, no matter how you may see it (as if it means anything to the King of the World).

A whole new character entirely. I think he may actually turn out to be the so-called "lurking legend" that Oda keeps talking about, but only time will tell.

10. General Zoro

Expand Collapse

@Glaze D. Bacon you can at least try to see some possibilities. Mihawk could be the King of the World and his role as a Warlord is something he does so he can be out there challenging people and being challenged to fights.
    Also, I don't think he would go around killing people with D in their names or else he would have killed Garp or attempted to or someone in the WG would have attempted to. Not all D would realistically be a threat to the WG. Most of them simply live normal lives. The exceptions are the prominent ones in the series. Going on a D genocide is basically creating a self fulfilling prophecy.
    You also don't need to have a bounty to be a Warlord. You simply need to be strong, have a great reputation and be willing to take the job. Blackbeard became a Warlord with zero bounty. He has never even been heard of.

I think there is a better chance of Im being a senior family member to Mihawk. Father, mother, brother, sister and so on. And Mihawk is a secret prince who loves to fight. Being a warlord affords him that opportunity with no drawbacks of being hunted by the Navy who won't know who he is. Being alone protects his identity as a legion of guards would give it away that he is important.

The only drawback is that I remember reading that a young Mihawk was present at Rogers execution. That kind of puts all theories as null and void as I don't see why a young prince of the world would be there. Then that can also raise questions like of he is a runaway prince still being protected secretly by his family or if he was there officially but secretly.

All in all, I don't have much of an opinion on who Im is. I am happy to wait for the reveal and talk to anyone who can give some kind of proof on why it is one person or the other.

11. Time

bogan scientist
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Mihawk is the king of the world but he somehow works for the Marine, an orginisation that works for the World Government, of which the head is the Gorosei, who in turn works for the king of the world, who as this thread suggests is Mihawk. Kinda a messed up, meaningless cycle of power. Anyway, tho not impossible, this theory is too much of a stretch. I really don't see any point in Mihawk being Im. He's supposed to be the one that Zoro will surpass someday and a possible ally given his ties with Shanks, so if he ends up being Im, it won't make any sense. People are taking the eye thing too far.