1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Important Clarification from "Level 2 Haki"

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Seiryu, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I might have to elaborate/edit later since I'm pressed for time FYI.

Most important thing is that Oda clarifies "destructive power" for scenes like Luffy destroying a big chunk of Dressrosa with the residual kinetic energy from Doffy. The latest chapter gives the explanation, but the previous chapter confirmed how Luffy taps into his true potential with his life (or the life of someone he cares about) on the line. Thus, Luffy taps into and uses level 2 haki during his attack against Doffy. Thus, the "true Yonkou level" destructive power is from the combination of max Gear Fourth exertion plus level two haki.

Big Mom's massive strength without haki is why she can destroy stuff at a similar extent as Luffy in Gear Third/Fourth. Big Mom using basic busoushoku means the entire mountain should go down with one strike (roughly). Big Mom using level 2 haki means the entire area gets destroyed (should be MUCH bigger than the area Luffy destroys in Dressrosa).

2. Jawahib

Both Exotic and Professor
    Busoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to Dragonball Z I guess...
    One Piece had the potential to be so much more nuanced than a power level hype fest; as did Naruto btw. But story's gotta story, and we in this to the end.

3. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Yup. I 100% agree with the analogy. Actually, makes a whole lot of sense/parallels in that the author has to make huge jumps in "power levels" to outdo the previous action. Luffy in Gear Second seemed like a tad bit excessive, but at least the rational/science was still solid (directly analogous to the "OVER 9000!!!" scene). And now, we are in the super saiyajin part of the series and we got the upcoming jump to super saiyajin 3 with awakenings.
    This probably goes back to our initial biases to the explanation, but everything still fits in my mind. I of course 100% agree that Oda astronomically cuts off the "potential" power-ups from the limitations of level 2 haki. Per the above conundrum of outdoing the previous action, I'm happy as long as Oda keeps things connected.