1. The results of the Member of the Year voting are in... Find out who won!
  2. The Monthly PAW February 2020 is out now. Check it out!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Internal monologue

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Grin, Feb 13, 2020 at 11:37 AM.

?

Do you have inner monologue?

1. Yes! People who don't are just NPCs.

2. No! Only crazy people hear voices in their head.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Grin

The Fool
    Member of the Year 2016 Shichibukai
    Expand Collapse

Supposedly, not everyone has internal monologue. That is, your thoughts are not sentences in a voice inside your head, and merely abstract concepts you translate into words when speaking. As someone who is very much a big fan of words and reading, it came as a shock to me that not everyone monologues inside their head like a Heavy Rain character.

How about you guys? Are your thoughts like sentences you can "hear" or something else? Tell us about it, and let's discuss.

Yosnob D, Edinbour and Kia like this.
  2. Kia

Kia
    “Don’t try to find a reason for somebody’s love.”
    Supernova Member of the Year 2019
    Expand Collapse

Internal monologue that’s often external. Also music and images. There’s like a file system in there where things are stored that I can search... the way that I type my messages is indicative of the way my mind works, quite frankly.

I love this topic. I did see my dear friend from university post on Facebook something similar with regards to inner monologues. I too am curious about them. ^_^

Yosnob D likes this.
  3. Chaudfontaine

Chaudinante Fontamingo
    Member of the Season Super Moderator Member of the Year 2017
    Expand Collapse

I do speak to myself in silence from time to time. Sometimes heavy discussions sometimes a not needed "do it" to a bad idea.

Yosnob D likes this.
  4. Leandro

I hate every haters of the anime in my avatar
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

When i speak i say what i think.
    I hate ideas like "if people didn't say what they think the world would be a better place".
    People who defend this should be living with the beasts in Africa.
    Usually silence is my best friend when i am with a lot of people but when i speak to some of them i'm like a president of USA who doesn't deny climate change,who isn't against abortion,loves videogames,doesn't understand LGBT communities and hates drug dealers and junkies.

Yosnob D likes this.
  5. Edinbour

The Red King
    Yonko
    Expand Collapse

I do, but I usually have to make it external, because I constantly have so many thoughts running through my mind at once, I have to "talk to myself" in order to remain focused. It may look like I'm crazy, but I just tell people that I'm thinking out loud. lol

Yosnob D and Kia like this.
  6. Monster Trio

青眼の究極竜
    Shichibukai Member of the Year 2015
    Expand Collapse

Discussion with myself, or reflecting on how a discussion could've gone better is honestly not that weird no? I'd say shower time is internal monologue time for me. It also happens when I seem to be spacing out instead of studying. I never thought of it as a weird thing and thought it is something everyone does, so tbh, kinda a shock to me it isn't apparently

7. Mapache

means raccoon
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

It's a yes for me (as for most voters so far). I think it happens when I'm really focussed and am pondering about a certain issue or problem.

And then there's of course the inner dialogue, thinking about possible real life dialogues and how they could go or could have gone.

8. Yosnob D

M E L A N C H O L Y ™
    Crew Member
    Expand Collapse

Definitely! a Yes for me :grimacing:

In my case, i discover/unlock it when i was in my 3rd year as a college stud. Solving,analyzing and reversing math/major subjects problems contributes a lot but the huge benefactor was the tragedies/misfortunes i experienced from the start of my teenage years. Don't know how it connects but surely this was occurred to me. As time goes by, it evolves slowly and i think i can control it by now. Usually it happens when there's a complicated situation or problem, before and after.

I also do this sis, reminds of me sherlock's mind palace :)

Thank you TS! I appreciate it so much, i thought i'm just the only one, kampai!

Kia likes this.