1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Is Zoro stronger than Luffy?

Discussion in 'One Piece Anime' started by TheOne, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Balerionthedread

Expand Collapse

Zoro has not been tested yet in the new world fighting fodder really not to mention the ambiguity in his eye , it's hard to compare when we have not see zoro remotely fatigued in the new world. That being said zoro has always sometimes been mistaken for as the captain early in the series , the fight luffy and zoro did have early in the series was a draw. There both very different , if zoro has conquerers king I'd say they would be pretty even which is still not been confirmed either way.

2. D Robinson

Expand Collapse

No, Zoro is not.
    Surely, he is very strong. Is he stronger than Luffy? I highly doubt that. The reason why some people think Zoro is stronger is that Luffy always messes around even in serious battles.

3. CaptainZapX

Expand Collapse

No hate for Zoro at all, actually I always like to see Zoro side by side with Luffy in the fights because he's really strong but come on guys! Luffy is just stronger, like GEAR FOURTH ITS WAYYY OP.

D Robinson likes this.
  4. Balerionthedread

Expand Collapse

My point is we don't really know zoros true power because he has not been pushed to the brink like luffy has. There is nothing to compare gear 4th with , luffy is the protagonist , not to mention almost apples and oranges one is a devil fruit user whilst the other is a human who is a demon with swords. Luffy is the protagonist so he is always gonna be stronger then zoro , but I don't believe there is a huge gap , gear 4th has alot of drawbacks , as long as someone can is strong enough to withstand it's initial onslaught they could defeat luffy in the 10mins where he is vulnerable , where he can't even use Haki , however when luffy awakens his fruit and if there is a gear 5. Nothing wrong with being the second strongest strawhat. Zoro the demon king.

5. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

My personal feeling is that the only thing that elevates Luffy above Zoro is Gear 4.

Zoro is by all means stronger than Luffy's base form.
    This is where Luffy lacks a lot to begin with and needs to improve, which as a result would make his gears stronger, too, but that's an entierely different topic.

Zoro's also shown destructive capabilities rivaling those of G3 in his fight against Pica.
    Sheer physical strength is defenitely not what he is lacking.

Luffy defenitely outshines Zoro in regards of movement speed when it is about closing in greater distances.
    Yet in close range, e.g. agility and reflexes, is Zoro not really behind Luffy. Possibly not even behind G2, as long as close range is regarded. Maybe even mid-range, as this is Zoro's area of expertise.

Only G4 clearly brings Luffy atop; no doubt there.
    So, Luffy is stronger, but only because of the gimmicks of his fruit.

Grin likes this.
  6. Mo3MaR

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

You know guys Luffy didn't define strength just on physical and mental capabilities...Remember how he recruited his crewmates at Eastblue?? He first observe them and feel that their the one he seeks...
    Recruitment of Zoro: He see him tied up and rumored a criminal... He sees a child coming to give Zoro a food but caught by morgan's son... When the child was gone , he ask for Luffy to get the food so he can eat it. Clearly shown Zoro has a strong pride and spirit that cannot be shaken so easily by mere death... Remember Mihawk also recognize his spirit and strong will to become strongest even not a winning by his mere knife... Also Kuma recognize him at Thriller Bark.. The strong ones they can't defeat even once in current story... The strength seen by Luffy on his crewmates are not just coz their winning battle..
    Ussop : A terrible liar obvious weaker than anyone else.. Remember at Ussop's village? All of the pirates laughing at him cause of being defeated but he also admitted that he's too weak... I also think Luffy recognize his honesty.. He's a terrible liar but when moment of truth he clearly accept it... Luffy never mention or talk on Ussop for being weak but he trust him.. The good example at Dresrossa , when he freed the curse... We all thought its just a mere lack.... But for me its not... Ussop lack of self-confidence turns him coward .. When the situations need him, he somehow manage to won... Strength of Ussop that Luffy recognize most: honesty and self-confidence when the moment comes....
    Sanji: Some of us debating why Sanji didn't kick some asses of BM pirates.. Why ? When you read the manga its already shown his true strength... Basically he's kindness and empathy... Luffy recognize him too at Baratie when he gave Gin a food secretly and convinced he wants a cook like that... Reiju also recognize his strength, after suffering from Vinsmoke family then threatening the life of his poster father... When they need him he save them... No question or condition, he was trying to help to cure tantrums of BM even their enemies... Aren' t you recognize already his strength? That makes this year of Sanji? All of them recognize it already but the fans still arguing coz he didn't kick some ass... The strength of Sanji still continuing to show even now...
    Nami: I will make it short coz weren't see even now the strength of Nami... If I give one then maybe she's selfless.. But I recommend you guys the new released OP movie, stories about their recruitment and highlights in Eastblue arc.. So you will understand the "true strength" all about

7. Marco Polo

ダサい
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Jawahib likes this.
  8. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Oh no they've even got Booker in on it too :(

To quickly give my two cents, the varying levels of Haki mean it's almost impossible to determine just how strong Luffy's Haki is compared to Zoro's meaning it's almost impossible to say what the strength gap is. Without Haki, I'd give it to Luffy. With Haki, I'd give it to Luffy.

Marco Polo likes this.
  9. Lt. | ArkZ

Balls to the wall, or not at all...
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

With what we've seen, Luffy is stronger than Zoro, but I'm mainly giving this to Luffy because of two reasons;

One;
    Gear Fourth

Two;
    We haven't seen Zoros full capabilities since he's been in the new world as of yet.

10. PirateKing_D_Luffy

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I can take this question in multiple ways,

Sword fighting - Yes Zoro is stronger than Luffy

Direction - Lol....u know Luffy is not good but still better than Zoro :-p

Ethics : Luffy is way better ! than any other character on One piece ...and he is suppose to be ..right ?

Will power :- Should be a tie but Luffy could win considering Arlong park incident which I can relate..though many wd debate(seriously not interested cuz I don't have time :))

Maturity : Again, Zoro ..here it is my personal feeling

Hunger : Luffy Luffy all the way...

I just want to say that they both have their own strong point and weakness but during a one on one fight ..there are many other factors which matters in One piece world..

And I simply don't like comparing my favorites ;-)

11. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Oh no, now they've got Jawhib in on it, too. ^^

12. Jawahib

Expand Collapse

Haha sorry if I offended you there. It's a running gag between me and @Marco Polo to make fun of Zoro fanboys so any time someone comments on Zoro's superiority or says something like Zoro's stronger than Luffy it gets us buzzin' (even if that post is well-reasoned and not troll-y).

I stand by what I said about Haki making it impossible to accurately gauge this, but as it stands I believe the odds favour Luffy.

4thBlade and Marco Polo like this.
  13. 4thBlade

Ice Prodigy
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Luffy hands down.

14. Straw_Hat

Expand Collapse

NOPE. Zorro would've never beaten Crocodile, Eneru, Luci, Moria, Shiki, Magellan, Cesar, Doffy, etc... whereas Luffy would've definitely beaten most of the opponents Zoro have faced.

15. KKG

KKG
    Bigger hentai fan than you
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

There is no way Zoro can be stronger than Luffy.

16. lucci

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Tbh I strongly believe zoro was stronger than luffy till he got gears after that i guess they r the same ... oh wait forgot luffy was the main protog, my bad luffy>>>>>>>>>zoro .

17. Dory

Expand Collapse

I doubt anybody will read this as this post is so old, but I don't really care. In my opinion pre-time skip Zoro and Luffy were equal and Sanj was close behind. After enis lobby it became a bigger argument though because Luffy got gears (2nd and 3rd), and was able to defeat an opponent that was much stronger than Zoro and Sanji's( the way we know this is because Fukuro gaged the cp-0 combat abilities and Lucci was almost double Kaku and Jabra's. Then everyone (including myself) took it as fact that Luffy was exponentially stronger than the rest of the monster trio. Then when all the straw hats got back together after the time skip and Zoro one hit Hody underwater, people started to ask again who is the strongest straw hat. I think I can comfortably say at this point in the story Sanji is out of the question he has taken major L's since the straw hats entered the new world. and so far the "year of Sanji has been pretty sad for him. But since the time skip, Zoro has no diffed everyone he has fought. In the only fight he has even tried in was against pica and Zoro was just testing some abilities out he didn't get a scratch on him from the fight. Since whole cake island we have seen the weakness of gear 4th and in my opinion, Zoro is fast enough and durable enough to dodge and take hits from gear fourth for the ten minutes Luffy will have it for. even though Luffy is not the smartest guy he is a battle genius and so is Zoro but I don't think Luffy would be stupid enough to go for a nonstop ten minutes of gear 4th against Zoro who knows all his strength and weaknesses, unlike Luffy who hasent seen Zoro's trump card or even seen him in a real fight. If Luffy tries to jump in and out of gear fourth then it's a different story and we haven't seen Zoro's speed since the time skip nor have we seen if he has any new technics. I like most people on the Zoro side this argument think that Zoro has an ace in the hole he hasn't had to bring out yet due to his lack of tough opponents, but if he did have something like an advanced form of asura that he brings out when he opens his eye. if that's the case or something like that (a new powerful ability he is hiding). then I think he would have the edge on Luffy but there's no guarantee and we might have seen the extent of Zoro's power vs pica and if that's true then you have to give it to Luffy.

18. Betelgeuse

Red Supergiant
    Expand Collapse

No, from what has been shown so far Luffy is superior. But Zoro has yet to go all out so really it all depends. Luffy and Zoro have always been near equals in strength similar to how Sanji and Zoro are comparable to each other. That dynamic has changed after the 2 years. Without using gear 4 Zoro is clearly the better fighter but what really detemines wther Zoro can won or not is what he has inder his sleeve. Luffy's gear 4 techniques are on par and superior to the strongest techniques Zoro has done post time skip. Not to mention Luffys physical feats are better in that gear. I think Zoro could be at most Luffy's equal or he is just inferior.

Dory likes this.
  19. Dory

Expand Collapse

As Zoro is right now he is inferior but if he pulls out an advanced version of Ashura it would be equal because when Zoro used it last time it took him from being equal to Kaku to absolutely shiting on him so if he pulls out an advanced version of that I think he could compete with G4

Betelgeuse likes this.
  20. Betelgeuse

Red Supergiant
    Expand Collapse

That's what I'm wondering. I mean Zoro's moves have always been more lethal. Even if his Asura is stronger, Luffy wouldn't necessarily need to go at him head on since he is quicker. Luffy can't freely strike Zoro frkm any angle. Will Zoro be able to react to gear fourth's speed? Doflamingo had difficulty doing so. I'm not sire how Zoro's ibservatio haki and reflexes compares to Doffy's.

Dory likes this.