1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

KINGSGUARD: Chapter 10: Rematch

Discussion in 'Writer's Corner' started by Marco Polo, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Marco Polo

hot for goth doctor
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I wrote this on 0 sleep, apologies if there's mistakes

I feel like fight scenes and stuff would really benefit from visuals to accompany them, but I suppose it's my job to help you visualise it. They're fun to write, and I have a couple more planned before we leave the Academy...

Enjoy the chapter!

KINGSGUARD

Chapter 10: Rematch

January 29th, 2252, 4:45pm. Owl King’s Academy: Outdoor Training Arena.

“Too bad… It looks like I win this round.”

Rose picked herself up off the floor, and walked over to fetch her sword. Her cape, a gift from her father, had a large hole in the middle from where Niklaus had struck the winning blow. Cursing herself under her breath, she approached Niklaus, clenching her fists.

“I... won’t lose next time,” she announced, an indignant tone in her voice.

Niklaus smiled back. “I look forward to next time, Shiira Em Rose.”

*​

July 3rd, 2252. 8:04pm. Owl King’s Academy, Outdoor Training Arena. Rose and Niklaus square off once more.

As Niklaus took his starting position, he quipped: “No cape this time, Rose?”

“No. I’m no longer reliant on my old tricks. I’ve reinvented myself, and I’ve evolved my style in a way that’ll let me defeat you,” Rose replied confidently.

Niklaus smiled. “Well then, let’s begin.”

In an instant, the smile faded from Niklaus’ face, and his fighting instincts kicked in. Swiftly unsheathing his blade, he attacked Rose with incredible speed. Rose, however, did not flinch. Rather, she tracked his movements, and managed to block him accordingly. Blow after blow, Rose matched Niklaus’ speed, almost as if she were waiting for him to pick up the tempo. Sensing complacency, Niklaus capitalised on the opportunity to move to her blind spot and attack, aiming for her left shoulder. Startled, Rose barely managed to block him before the pair separated to catch their breath.

“I’d say that was a nice warm up, wouldn’t you?” Niklaus commented, his tone far more serious than usual.

Rose remained silent for a few moments, sizing her opponent up. She could feel that the gap between them had been closed, however, something was still worrying her. But rather than dwell on it, she decided to seize the initiative. Finally responding to Niklaus, she cried: “Then I guess you don’t mind if I attack first, then!”

At full force, Rose ran at Niklaus, swinging her sword at him with full force. Niklaus managed to block, however the sheer force of Rose’s swing pushed him back a little. Quickly regaining his footing, he skipped backwards in an attempt to create distance between the two. However, Rose was equal to him, charging forward, attacking him quickly and aggressively. As she attacked, Rose could sense that something was off about Niklaus’ defence despite the fact he was comfortably blocking each and every one of her shots. As she continued to try force an opening, she planned her next moves. Would she create space between the pair, and try to work out how to expose whatever weakness she was sensing? No. It seemed too risky to her. To have Niklaus on the back foot was an achievement of itself; her best chance would be to continue her high-pressure attack, and any weakness would expose itself. However, as she resolved herself to this, Niklaus managed to parry one of her blows hard enough to create an opening in her own guard.

“Thinking too much will slow you down, Shiira!” Niklaus shouted, as he swung at Rose’s abdomen, exposed by her fallen guard. Rose somehow managed to jump back quickly enough to avoid any serious hits. She made a mental note to thank Chirch for helping her with her evasion training.

*​

Chirch sat awkwardly at the top of the embankment next to the arena. After Niklaus had arrived, she had looked for a good vantage point to view the fight from, and had settled on sitting at the top of the embankment. However, moments after she made herself comfortable, two oddly familiar looking men had sat no more than ten feet away from her. As she listened to the pair quarrel and grumble, she eventually approached them. Captain Marko and Commander Grinnington, from the big school assembly. Grinnington had invited her to sit with them, and she politely accepted. However, she was still a relative novice in new social situations, and the thought of two big-shots from the capital being near her frightened her a little. As Rose and Niklaus’ skirmish took a quick breather, she turned to Grinnington to ask him a question.

“Umm… Mr Commander?” Chirch asked, tentatively.

“Yes… Chirch, was it?” Grinnington answered.

“How do you think the fight is going so far?”

Grinnington paused for a moment, seemingly deep in thought. “Well… They sure can swing their swords fast, huh? Oh ho ho ho!”

Chirch was a little dumbfounded at the simplicity of Grinnington’s response, and the grandiose chuckle that followed. Before she could further quantify, Marko spoke up.

“There’s no use asking him about anything to do with combat, Chirch.”

Surprised, Chirch enquired further. “Eh? Why? Isn’t Commander Grinnington on the Elite?”

“Yeah, he is,” Marko answered, “But when it comes to anything that’s not numbers, he’s about as useful as a kindergarten student.”

Grinnington, clearly offended by Marko’s words, tried to come up with a retort, however, he was too slow, as Marko continued to explain his views on the fight to Chirch.

“Ask me again in five minutes.”

As Marko commented, the fight spurred back into action.

Rose swiftly evaded Niklaus’ aggressive attacks, just about able to keep up with his pace. After Niklaus broke her guard, she was put on the back foot fairly quickly, and had to resort to defensive manoeuvres once again; something that she had anticipated and trained for, yet was frustrated by, as she knew she could do more than this. As she ducked and dived past each of Niklaus’ swings, she waited patiently for an opening to present itself, however Niklaus’ speed made it difficult for her to spot one. Taking a chance, she swung blindly, hoping she would be able to create space once again. Somehow, she succeeded in stopping Niklaus’ attacks, however, Niklaus instinctively moved out of the way of Rose’s swing, and began to move even faster than he had been doing before. He darted around the arena, almost too fast for Rose’s eyes to follow. Rose, noticing this sharp increase in speed, began to panic for a moment. How could she match this speed? Was she even capable of doing that? As Niklaus continued to dart around, sand and dust filling the air around them, Rose managed to calm herself down. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath, and relaxed her body. She stood motionless, waiting for Niklaus’ attack, listening for clues as to where he’d attack from. As Niklaus finally emerged from the cloud of dust at full throttle, Rose ducked under his surprise attack, making it feel somewhat unsurprising.

“I knew you’d attack from there”, Rose grinned.

*​

Chirch and Grinnington turned to Marko expectantly.

“So, how do you think it’s going? Do you think Rose has a chance?” Chirch asked, her tone a mixture of anxious and excited.

Marko, a little taken aback by Chirch’s eager demeanour, and more than a little pissed off at Grinnington’s, asked: “Hmm… Which one is Rose?”

Chirch, a little surprised that Marko didn’t know who was who, decided to inform him: “The girl with the short black hair is Rose. The tall silver-haired guy with the katana is Zak Niklaus.”

Marko pondered for a moment. “Zaklaus, huh…”

“Idiot! Not Zaklaus! Zak Niklaus!” Grinnington exclaimed, almost a little too annoyed.

Marko looked at Grinnington, his face covered with disdain, before turning back to the action, sighing to himself. “It wasn’t so clear before, but there’s a clear difference in skill between the two of them.”

Chirch, a little frustrated at this vague response, asked: “Who?”

Marko replied: “Watch carefully.”

*​

Niklaus continued to swing away at Rose, full throttle. Rose, who couldn’t even see Niklaus’ movements any more through the dust, continued to dance around each one of his attacks. As she did this, she felt that something was off once again. Didn’t these movements seem awfully… familiar? Perhaps it was a coincidence. But it was a coincidence that she was going to take full advantage of. As the dust cleared, Rose decided to make her move. Rather than dodging with her entire body, like she had been for the past few minutes, she blocked Niklaus’ attack, aimed at the right-hand side of her head, with her blade. The sheer force of the collision knocked Niklaus’ arm back, leaving his middle wide open. Rose lunged in, attempting to strike him in the abdomen. However, Niklaus managed to evade. Just about. Rose continued her offensive, using two-handed swings to try and knock Niklaus back. Her approach was succeeding, as Niklaus became gradually more uneasy on his feet. With a few more powerful swings, she managed to make Niklaus lose his footing, and he fell backwards on to the sand. Standing over him, she announced:

“It looks like it’s my win, Niklaus.”

Niklaus remained stoic, pausing for a moment before responding. Standing back up, his blade in his right arm, he began to speak.

“I’m impressed, Rose. You’ve really grown. But I’m not done yet. There’s a few hands I’m yet to show.”

Rose, confused, was about to ask what exactly he meant. However, before she could, Niklaus attacked.

“Gravity Blade.”

Niklaus swung his blade diagonally through the air at high speed, creating a shockwave headed towards Rose. Rose, not realising what he had done, simply stood in wait. Moments later, she could see a distortion in the air. Was it… getting closer?

Before she could discern what it was, it came at her, full force, throwing her several metres back. She eventually landed flat on her back at the base of the embankment, where Chirch immediately ran to help her up.

“Sorry Rose, it looks like I win this round as well,” Niklaus whispered to himself, re-sheathing his blade. Looking over at the embankment, he saw the two recruiters walking away. As he watched them leave, he whispered to himself once again, determination in his voice.

“It looks like I’ll have to challenge you if I am to truly test my limits… Captain Marko.”

END

sweetjacky, Kia, 10thMember and 7 others like this.
  2. Christina Choi

Little Panda
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I read this right after watching Koro Sensei Quest and so i imagined Rose and Niklaus as chibis who were fighting with swords and they looked so adorable! You made it very easy to visualize the fight scenes.

Marco Polo likes this.
  3. Deathbloke

weeb trash
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

So Niklaus wins again, looks like we'll see Captain Marko kicking Zak's ass up next :cool:

Marco Polo likes this.
  4. Marco Polo

hot for goth doctor
    Expand Collapse

If anyone could hook me up with a chibi Rose and Niklaus I'd love that

I wonder if Marko would want to fight him...

Christina Choi likes this.
  5. Grin

Breadcrumbs
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That'd be doing something. Marko's not very big on doing things it seems.

Marco Polo likes this.
  6. miss_SMP

Symmetry is Beauty
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Phew. Hehehe. That really painted a good picture, I can almost see it happening real time. Kinda expected the outcome, but still hoped Rose would win. :) hahaha but I think there's more to this though. Good job, as always @Marco Polo . are we gonna get another fight? Marko vs Niklaus ;)

Marco Polo likes this.
  7. Deathbloke

weeb trash
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Ooooor he's gonna kick his ass xD

Marco Polo likes this.
  8. Marco Polo

hot for goth doctor
    Expand Collapse

You would be correct

Being challenged to fights is no.5 on Marko's "Top 5 things I dislike" list
    For trivia's sake, Grinnington is no.2 on that list

Christina Choi likes this.
  9. Deathbloke

weeb trash
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I was going to ask that xD
    May I ask, how many chapters are you planning to write?

Marco Polo likes this.
  10. Grin

Breadcrumbs
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Only #2, huh...
    Bet you he has no idea.

11. miss_SMP

Symmetry is Beauty
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Awww. His disappointed. He wanted to be # 1. :) that's the goal then. Wonder what's the top of the list? @Marco Polo

Oooh. I have an idea. Unsure tho. But give me a hint???

Ps. Where's Marko's profile info? :)

Grin and Marco Polo like this.
  12. ZakNik

Legendary God of Speed
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

it would be cooler if I let lady to win but okey @Marco Polo You could use my other power barrier one instead blocking but I suppose you will leave it for later. Amazing writing one again

Marco Polo likes this.
  13. Marco Polo

hot for goth doctor
    Expand Collapse

You would be correct

I know where I want the story to go, and the major plot points are planned out, but dependent on the characters other users submit and how I feel the story is progressing, the pace of the story changes. For example, @Judgement 's character has given me a lot of material

Marko and Grinnington's debut scene was meant to be the end of chapter 10 but as you can see it was much earlier

If interest in the story dwindles I'll end it as quickly as I can, but if people are reading then I'm going to flesh it out, so it'll be as good as it can be with my subpar writing skills can make it

Marko already gave you the hint, and Rose's thought processes were a slightly bigger hint. It'll all be revealed soon though :o

From the bio you submitted, Niklaus seems like the kind of guy to be serious about his own development regardless of who he's facing, so I've tried to stick to that. I have big plans for Zaklaus...

I'll post it in the Wiki thread after Chapter 11 comes out

That's a reveal for much further down the line...

ZakNik, Grin and Judgement like this.
  14. Judgement

Onii-chan of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Really excited to see where you take the story!

Marco Polo likes this.
  15. Glaze D. Bacon

OH! MY! GOD!
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

There’s a lot of potential for Marko. I’m hyped.

Marco Polo likes this.
  16. Grin

Breadcrumbs
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'll be reading it so you can keep writing just to amuse me

Marco Polo likes this.
  17. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Nice, for rosr to grew that much, to rise above the physical klaus was very entertaininh. That klaus had a special card in his sleave was to be expected but i think rose can be proud on her fight despite the loss

Marco Polo likes this.
  18. Sunny G

Expand Collapse

Gravity Blade reminds me of Fujitora's Raging Tiger. Is it similar to that? If so, I'll have to keep the image in my mind. Good chapter.

Marco Polo likes this.
  19. Marco Polo

hot for goth doctor
    Expand Collapse

You'd have to ask @ZakNik how exactly he imagines it to be, but I guess so?

The way I conceptualised its use in this chapter was that it was basically a moving "wave" of gravity

20. miss_SMP

Symmetry is Beauty
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Hmmmm. :(