1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

KINGSGUARD Chapter 30: Squad Marko

Discussion in 'Writer's Corner' started by Marco Polo, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

it's late

i'm sleepy

here's the chapter

new character, hope you like

~ maruko x

KINGSGUARD

Chapter 30: Squad Marko

February 6th, 2253. 4:35pm. The Owl King’s Palace – Office.

“Your Majesty, Captain de Polaris has arrived,” one of the guard announced.

“Send him in,” responded the King.

The office doors opened, and Marko walked through. Bowing to the King, he waited before taking a seat at his desk.

“Thank you for coming, Marko.” The Owl King smiled.

“It’s unusual for you to call someone out like this.” Marko replied.

Hmm, I suppose it is.” The King mused. “Anyway. I have a request of sorts. In two weeks’ time, there’s going to be a United Nations meeting in Kingston. I’d like you to assemble a small team to run security at the event. There’ll be a lot of powerful figures there, and it’d be nice if we gave them the very best protection Hiraeth has to offer.”

“It’d be my pleasure, Your Majesty.” Marko answered, “Do you have any other Kingsguard members in mind?”

The Owl King laughed. “There’s a reason I’m leaving the recruiting up to you. Just make sure the ones you leave behind can look after themselves.”

*​

9:58pm. Kingsguard Combat Training Facility. Marko, Chirch and Rose are training.

“Let’s see if you can keep up with this!” Chirch shouted, unleashing a flurry of fists towards Rose. Rose, guard up, danced around each of Chirch’s attacks, and landed a solid kick to her sparring partner’s ribs, sending Chirch flying.

“Chirch is down. Rose wins.” Marko announced. Chirch, still hurting a little, sat on the floor a while before standing up.

“Maan, that one really hurt…” she moaned. “How’d you get so fast, Rose?”

Rose giggled. “I guess I have a good training partner.”

As Chirch took a break, Marko stepped forward. “Got another round in you, Rose?” he asked.

Rose nodded. “Sure… Chirch?”

Before Chirch could accept Rose’s challenge, Marko interrupted. “Not with Chirch.”

Rose suddenly felt a little nervous. “… With you?”

Marko nodded. “Naturally.”

Suddenly backtracking, Rose began to feel a little cramp in her legs. “Uhh… I don’t know… It’s been a long day’s training… Chirch and I already went twelve rounds, and…”

Marko, not willing to push his challenge further, simply shrugged. “… I guess not then. Well, that’s all for today then.”

Rose breathed a sigh of relief, and picked up her bag. The trio then headed for the exit of the facility. Just before they parted ways, Marko spoke up.

“You two. I have a job for you.”

Chirch and Rose looked at each other, then at Marko. The Captain, asking them for help? Maybe pigs could fly after all.

“What is it, Captain?” Chirch asked.

“The Owl King needs security for a UN conference in Kingston, and he’s put me in charge. I need a team, and I’d like you two on it. Is there anyone from the Academy that you’d recommend?” he asked.

The girls thought for a few seconds.

“Actually, I have a suggestion.” Rose said.

*​

February 7th, 2253. 12:35pm. Kingsguard Combat Training Facility – Changing Rooms.

Zak Niklaus exited the changing rooms in a fresh new set of training gear. His old white gear had a sweat stain on it, so this time he’d ordered black. Not only would the sweat not show up as much, it looked better on him. Feeling confidence from his new outfit, he strode to the training room. However, his stride was interrupted by a familiar face.

“Zaklaus. I trust the training’s going well?”

Seeing Captain Marko’s face irked Niklaus a little. He hadn’t quite gotten over the humiliating nature of his defeat at the Academy. However, it had spurred him on to train further.

“It’s going well, Captain. Have you come here just to make small talk?” he quipped.

“Actually, it’s quite the opposite.” Marko replied. “Your friend Rose said I should come find you.”

“She did? For what?” asked Niklaus.

The pair then had a short discussion about the UN event.

“Very well. I’ll join your team.” Niklaus answered begrudgingly.

*​

2:45pm. Kingsguard Medical Facility – Coffee Room.

Two knocks were heard on the door.

“Come in!” Deva shouted. Accepting her invitation, Marko walked in.

“Marko… What are you doing here?” Deva asked.

“I have a few questions for you about the combat trained medics,” he answered.

“What for?” Deva asked.

Marko then explained the situation to Deva.

“I mean… I’d be more than happy to lend you a hand, but for this situation, I think XO would be a perfect fit.” Deva informed.

“I’ll trust your judgement, then. Thank you.” Marko answered.

“Heh heh. It’s nice for us to be helping you out for once… I’ll contact him now.” Deva replied.

*​

3:35pm. Grinnington’s Lab.

“Ho ho ho! So His Royal Majesty is having you take part in a sidequest for him! How amusing!” Grinnington said boastfully. Marko, who could already feel his patience wearing thin, attempted to speed things along.

“So I’m thinking about bringing Amanda along as a pilot. But I need an engineer who can defend themselves somewhat. Anyone come to mind?”

Grinnington, relishing in the fact that Marko needed his help, pondered very loudly. “Hmm… I wonder… Do I know anyone like that… Oh ho ho… You’re in luck, Cap’n. It just so happens that my very own protégé, Mr. Judge, fits the very criteria you have specified.”

Judge, who had been intensely focused in his work, immediately turned at the sound of his name.

“Oh, Judgey! Be a dear and join Marko’s little boyscout team, would you?” Grinnington asked, putting in effort to be extra patronising.

“His what now?” Judge asked.

Marko then explained the situation to Judge, with several interruptions from Grinnington.

“Sure, I can help you out with that. In fact, I’m working on a prototype for something now. If you think it’d be useful for the job, I’ll get some made for the entire team.” Judge answered. Marko, finally grateful to be talking to a normal engineer, agreed to take a look at Judge’s project. After looking at the prototypes, and hearing Judge’s explanation, Marko made a decision.

“We could definitely make use of these. I’ll get in touch once the rest of the team is sorted.”

Giving a thumbs-up, Judge went back to work, and Marko headed for the door. As his hand touched the door, he spoke to Grinnington.

“By the way, Grinnington… Should we get attacked while I’m away, I’ll make sure the Owl King gives you permission to use that.”

*​

4:15pm. Amanda’s Apartment.

Amanda opened her apartment door dressed in an oversized T-shirt and shorts. Despite it being the middle of the afternoon, she looked a little sleepy.

“Oh, it’s Marko…” she mumbled. “Come in.”

Marko walked into Amanda’s apartment. Immediately noticing the pillow and blanket on the couch, he quickly apologised.

“Sorry for waking you.”

“… It’s fine… But why are you here? I went to the gym this morning, so I don’t think I have the energy for..”

Before she could finish what was definitely going to be an inappropriate comment, Marko cut her off.

“That’s definitely not why I’m here,” he sighed.

Amanda returned his sigh. “And after all this effort I went through to look cute for you.”

Cute as she was, Marko couldn’t let himself get distracted by her charms. Without wasting any time, he told Amanda all about the matter at hand.

“You know, if you wanted to take me on holiday, you could have at least picked the beach… And Valentine’s day is in one week, not two. Poor timing, Maaarko.” Despite her obvious sleepiness, Amanda’s wit was as sharp as ever.

Marko sighed; something he was used to doing when dealing with Amanda. “… Fine. Forget I asked.”

Amanda giggled. “You’re so straightforward. Of course I’ll help you out.”

Once business was done, Amanda treated Marko to a cup of tea before he went on his way.

*​

5:00pm. Kingsguard Hub – Café. Marko and Kyros are sitting at a table.

“… I see. So, you want my advice on who you should take?” Kyros asked.

Marko nodded. “I need to make sure you’ve got enough strong hands around while we’re away.”

Kyros thought for a moment. “Hmm. Well, I’d like Commander Bauer to stay here, since I could use his experience. You’re welcome to anyone else, though.”

Marko, going through the list of available soldiers in his mind, started naming names.

“I’d like to take Ragley.”

Kyros nodded. “Sure. We’ve got good cover in the sniper division anyways.”

“Ren?”

Kyros nodded once more. “It might be helpful to separate him and Yamamoto, actually.”

“And… Moss.”

Kyros thought about it for a moment. “Hmm… If you want to take him, I think you’d have to speak to him personally. You know how he is.”

Marko nodded in agreement. “It’ll be tough to convince him for sure. But if I can, I don’t need to bring anyone else. He’ll be more than enough.”

*​

5:24pm. Kingsguard Combat Training Facility – Entrance.

Leon Moss exited the training facility after a long day’s training. Despite having spent the past eight hours working on his conditioning, he barely felt tired. Now, it was time to go home, relax, and eat some food.

“Captain Moss.”

Where had that voice come from? Moss looked for another person.

“Behind you.”

Moss turned around to see Marko stood a few metres behind him.

“Oh, H-hello Captain Marko… Fancy seeing you here! Eheh…”

Marko walked over to Moss. Although Moss was almost a foot taller than him, Marko seemingly towered over him in stature. This was par for the course; despite his height and incredibly muscular build, Moss was known across the Kingsguard for being a rather timid individual. For all his obvious talent, he lacked the same assertiveness and authority that many of his peers had. Coming from a long line of incredibly talented soldiers, Leon was considered the greatest talent the Moss family had ever produced. This feeling was shared by the Kingsguard Academy; who, until the arrival of a certain someone, considered him the greatest prospect in the history of the Academy. Looking down at Marko with his bright green eyes, he continued to speak.

“… Anyway, wh-what brings you here? I mean, to talk to me?” he asked sheepishly.

“I need your help with something.” Marko answered, explaining the task at hand. Moss listened intently, nodding throughout. Once Marko had finished, Moss had but one question for him.

“Are you sure I’m the right person for the job?”

Marko sighed. Boy, was this guy a pain to deal with.

“I wouldn’t have asked you if I wasn’t.”

Moss, shoulders slightly hunched, scratched the back of his head, his hands running through his dark green hair. “Well then… I’d be honoured to join your team, Captain Marko… Heheh.”

Despite the somewhat awkward acceptance, Marko felt relieved. For all his shyness, he knew he’d gained a reliable team member.

“Oh, and Moss. One more thing.” Marko continued.

“Y-yes?!” Moss answered, almost jumping.

“You’ll be my second-in-command, should it come to that.” Marko informed him. Moss suddenly felt himself getting very nervous.

“Ehhhh?!”

*​

February 20th, 2253. 8:25pm. Kingsguard Facility – Train Station. The eve of the UN conference. Marko and his band of merry men are on the platform, awaiting the Owl King.

“So… We meet again, Shiira.” Niklaus smirked.

Rose nodded. “Yeah, I guess so.”

“Thank you for the recommendation, by the way,” he added, almost teasingly.

Rose began to feel uncomfortable. “I’m sorry! It’s just… Captain Marko said he wanted strong people… And you’re pretty strong, so…”

Before the conversation could continue on, Judge interrupted. “Hope I’m not interrupting anything, guys.”

Niklaus turned to Judge. “You’re… Judge, right? I remember you from school.”

Judge, ignoring Niklaus’ attempts at remembering his name, went on to a tangent of his own. “Maaaan, to think. After making an example of you in front of everyone, the Captain comes to you for help… Well, I guess that’s to be expected. Not every day you get the chance to fight alongside a Niklaus, after all.”

Niklaus, riled by Judge’s comments, replied: “Be glad you’re not fighting against this Niklaus.”

Judge chuckled. “Ha ha. Maybe you’re right. But then, I’ve seen far more-”

Before Judge could finish his sentence, the Owl King arrived on the platform. As he walked past, all members of his security team bowed; something which made the young monarch uncomfortable.

“Please, please. No need to be so formal,” he insisted. “Thank you all for doing this. I really do appreciate it.”

With those words, the King then boarded the train. The train conductor then directed Marko and the rest of his squad boarded the train.

“I wanna sit next to Maaaarko!” Amanda exclaimed, as if she were a child on a school trip. Marko decided it’d be best not to respond. However, this only encouraged Amanda to continue.

“Hey, hey. Maaaarko. If I get sleepy, can I lie in your lap?”

“No.”

“Come on, Maaarko. Don’t be so cold…”

Upon boarding the train, Marko made a conscious effort to pick a single seat, as to avoid the Amanda trap. Accepting her fate, Amanda sat at a table opposite Rayleigh. Much like the Captain, Niklaus, Ren and Moss opted to sit alone. Chirch, Rose, XO and Judge found a table together. The train then set off for Kingston.

“I brought cards, if anyone wants to play?” XO offered.

Chirch and Rose both nodded. “Sure!”

“What about you, Judge?” XO asked.

“I’ll join you next round. I need to talk to the Captain.” Judge then headed over to the captain’s desk, a medium-sized suitcase in tow. Taking a seat opposite him, he initiated conversation.

“So, Cap’n. About the things I showed you back in Grinnington’s lab. They’re all completed, and ready to order. Wanna take a look?”

Marko nodded. “Yes, please.”

Opening the suitcase, Judge took out a pair of seemingly normal black shoes. The soles were slightly thicker than normal, and looked somewhat hollow.

“They look good. Thank you.” Marko answered.

“Glad you like ‘em!” Judge grinned. “Hopefully the others do too.”

“Well, once they find out what they do, I’m sure they will.” Marko answered.

Satisfied with his client’s response, Judge returned to his table to play cards. The remainder of the journey went without incident, and the group arrived in Kingston.

*​

11:45pm. Kingston Imperial Hotel: Lobby.

“Dude… This place is sweet!” Rayleigh exclaimed, looking around. The lobby alone looked more expensive than any other place he’d been. Though, he shouldn’t have expected less. He was staying in the same hotel as the Owl King, after all.

I’m glad this place is to your taste,” the Owl King smiled. “However, a warning for all of you. Whilst the Palace is more than happy to cover your hotel costs, anything taken from the mini-fridges is to be paid for out of your own pocket.”

Issuing his final warning, the King headed up to his penthouse, accompanied by his aides. Once he had headed up, Marko gathered his troops in the restaurant for a team briefing.

“First of all, thanks for coming along. The Owl King appreciates your help… As do I. UN representatives will be arriving from 9am tomorrow morning, which means we need to be geared up and ready by 8. The conference proper starts at 11am. Amanda, you’ll be on patrol duty in your machina. And Ragley, your room should be facing the main street, so you should position yourself there. As for the rest of us, we’ll be stationed around the hotel to make sure nothing happens either outside the venue, or in the meeting room itself.”

The group nodded along.

“One more thing. Judge has designed some new equipment for all of us.”

Judge then stepped forward, and presented his shoe once again.

“Now, this shoe is still a prototype, and the naming is in progress. However, the technology behind it is sound, and the prototype is fully functioning. I don’t want to bore you with all the details, so I’ll keep it short and sweet. This shoe will let you walk through the air. Just jump off the ground and you’re good to go.”

His presentation met with a series of approving nods, Judge put the shoe back in his suitcase and sat down once more.

“Well, that’s about it, really. Rest well, and I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

With his last instruction, the squad went off to bed, and rested up for the big day ahead.

END
    Character(s) Debuted:

@Mosshead as Leon Moss, the man second only to the Elite

To be continued in Chapter 31: Powers Meet

Judgement, Twelve, 10thMember and 5 others like this.
  2. Deathbloke

one unlucky bastard
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That was goooood!!
    The Fellowship of the 10 goes on a mission!! Can't wait to see how it goes :D

Marco Polo likes this.
  3. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

hint: ragley spends all his allowance on the mini fridge

4. Grin

The luckiest egg in the world
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

So many characters together! I'm glad we get to see them interact again. Interesting prototype Judgey-wudgey has.

MASAKA

miss_SMP likes this.
  5. miss_SMP

At Work!!!
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Is this the dream team or what??? Hahaha. Kids on a field trip, trouble is bound to happen. :)

Marco Polo likes this.
  6. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

It saves me from describing all aerial moves as big jumps, thanks @Judgement

I wonder, will Grinny boi be allowed to take his toy out of the box?

They don't pay Marko enough to look after such a rowdy bunch

Judgement, miss_SMP and Grin like this.
  7. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Reverie 2: Electric Boogaloo. I’m hype!

miss_SMP and Marco Polo like this.
  8. Twelve

Boo'd up (^∇^)
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Nothing more to say but...HYPE!!! The next chapter will be have something big, I can feel it!
    I am really happy to see Judge getting more exposure. Just can't wait to know about the secrets he's keeping :cool:

It's Hope!! It's Hope, right!? omg omg
    My reaction to that was: MAJI DESU KA !???

Grin and Marco Polo like this.
  9. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

lots of big dick energy in the coming chapters

judge knows an awful lot that he has chosen not to share... but why? the plot thickens

grin's been spoilered so you can go and beg him for answers

Twelve and Grin like this.
  10. Deathbloke

one unlucky bastard
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Watch your language, young man!

11. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

*whispers* bumhole

also, a little hint of what to expect in chapter 31:

> un conference
    > grumpy marko
    > mcpolos breakfast
    and
    ragley dies

Chaudfontaine, Twelve and Deathbloke like this.
  12. Deathbloke

one unlucky bastard
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I must be a cat.

Chaudfontaine likes this.
  13. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

#13 Chaudfontaine, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Exciting! A guarding trip :smile: get ready for trouble!

Love the composition of the team. All of the badboiios ready to rumble.

Marco Polo likes this.
  14. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

Chapter 31 Preview:

“Hey… Why don’t we play strip poker instead?” she winked.

Deathbloke and miss_SMP like this.
  15. 10thMember

GRIN'S OWNER
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'm betting this is Amanda's!

Deathbloke likes this.
  16. Deathbloke

one unlucky bastard
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

No, Marko said it.