1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

KINGSGUARD Chapter 58: A Test of Trust

Discussion in 'Writer's Corner' started by Marco Polo, May 7, 2019.

1. Marco Polo

tom holland come BACK to the mcu i miss you :(
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

#1 Marco Polo, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Finally got around to writing this one, woo

I wasn't sure how I wanted to spend this chapter initially, there's a lot of groundwork to lay both in terms of the mission, but also with world building. I definitely didn't anticipate the chapter coming out like this, but I'm not mad about it at all.

The question I have for you is: Who do you trust?

Enjoy the chapter!

KINGSGUARD

Chapter 58: A Test of Trust

March 18th, 2256. 10:32am. Kingsguard Facility – Moss & Swann’s Office.

“Somethin’ the matter, boss?” Swann asked. “You’re looking stressed.”

“It’s nothing, Swann.” Moss answered. “I got a call from Grinnington earlier this morning… Looks like he isn’t going to be back for a while still.”

“Grinnington… You mean that scrawny kid who built the little android girl?”

Moss nodded. “The little android girl that kicked my ass on live television.”

Swann chuckled. “Man, that takes me back. I remember watching the fights between the android and Rin’s kid… Those were good entertainment. Nothin’ better than watchin’ robots gettin’ the shit kicked outta them. Ha ha!”

“It’s a shame how that whole saga ended, though.” Moss replied.

“Well, that depends for who. The runt used to get challenged to fights virtually every day… Poor kid musta gotten sick of it all.”

“Did you ever challenge him, Swann?”

Swann laughed. “You gotta be kiddin’. That kid woulda kicked the crap outta me. I mean, after his whole run in with Katsu… I wasn’t gonna get into a fight I couldn’t win.”

Moss chuckled quietly. “Hmph. I guess you have a point there.”

“How about you, Moss?” Swann asked, “D’you ever fight him?”

“Once, back in the Academy.” Moss replied.

“Oh… And how did that go?”

Moss paused for a moment before replying. “… About as well as it did for everyone else.”

*​

1:05pm. The Underground City. The girls, Grinnington and Hope are gathered in the girls’ apartment.

“So… Did Judge say why he called a meeting?” Eve asked Grinnington.

Grinnington shook his head. “No. He was adamant we discussed it in person in case someone tapped his phone. He sounded urgent, though.”

The group waited nervously for a few minutes, until a knock was heard at the door. Chirch stood up to answer. Opening the door, she was greeted by Judge, who was holding two stowaways by the backs of their shirt. Looking down at the two boys, Chirch sighed, and let Judge in. Throwing the two boys on to the couch, Judge began to explain the situation.

“So. I’m out, having a nice brunch with my father. We’re having a nice chat, enjoying the meal… Hell, we both put our brunch suits on. I look out of the window of the restaurant, and I spot two dumbass kids running around the streets. As I watch to see what kind of shenanigans they’re about to get up to, I realise something. “Hang on a minute Judge, you know those two dumbass kids! Aren’t they two of the new recruits? What are they doing here?” And then I remember what our mission is. We’re looking for rats inside the Kingsguard. Looks like we found ‘em quick. The question is… What do you want to do with them?”

Before Squad Grinnington could make their decision, Hercules spoke up, protesting their innocence.

“Hey! What do you mean by rats? We just followed the shifty looking people who got on the train this morning… And it looks like you’ve brought them to us, Judge. So if anything… You’re the suspicious guys here.”

The group sighed.

“We’re undercover, dumbasses. It’s us. Chirch and Rose.” Chirch explained, nodding her head towards Rose.

“… Eh?” Hercules replied.

“I told you this was a bad idea.” Fourth muttered to Hercules.

“Dude… How was I supposed to know there was an undercover mission going on?” Hercules muttered back. Turning back to Chirch and Rose, he continued his indignant protests. “And why didn’t you invite us, huh?”

Chirch shrugged. “Ask Grinnington. He was the one that did invitations.”

“… I don’t know who either of you are.” Grinnington replied bluntly. “And even if I did… You two seem like the kind that’d blow our cover real quick.”

“W-well… Chirch just gave away her identities to us! Ha ha… If we were the traitors, she’d have totally blown it!” Hercules retorted.

“Then I guess I’ll have to kill you both right now.” Chirch replied, her aura menacing.

“Aah! No! Please don’t kill us!” Hercules protested, “We haven’t done anything wrong! We aren’t the traitors, I swear!”

“That’s exactly the kind of thing a traitor would say.” Rose replied, her hands resting on the handle of her blade.

“She’s right, you know. That is the kind of thing a traitor would say.” Fourth commented, shrugging his shoulders.

“Wha… Nuh-uh, dude! Haven’t you ever watched a spy movie? The traitor would totally say something like “Heh heh heh… So now you know my true identity… Such a shame you won’t live to tell anyone else…” Or something like that.”

“Can I kill them yet, Grinnington?” Hope asked. “Their conversation bores me greatly.”

“… Not yet. They might have information we need.” Grinnington replied.

“But we told you! We’re not the guys you’re looking for! We don’t even know where we are!” Hercules protested.

Judge, growing increasingly impatient with proceedings, stepped over to Fourth and Hercules. Sitting on the coffee table directly opposite them, he looked the boys directly in their eyes.

“You two. What have you done with mine and Jackson’s blueprints?”

“What are you talking about?” Fourth replied.

“The blueprints that were kept in Grinnington’s lab. Where are they?”

“Uhh… I’m guessing they’re not in Grinnington’s lab.” Hercules answered.

“Right you are. But you two know where they are, don’t you?” Judge asked.

The boys looked at each other, shrugged and then shook their heads.

“Then which one of your buddies took them, huh?”

“Look. We really don’t know what you’re talking about.” Fourth answered.

Judge pulled a switchblade knife out of his pocket and placed the tip of the blade at Fourth’s throat. “Don’t bullshit me. I’m not in the mood.”

Fourth, now incredibly anxious, began to sweat. “I don’t know anything… I promise…” he replied, voice cracking.

Judge sighed and turned his blade to Hercules. “What about you, loudmouth? What say you?”

“Aaahh! Please don’t stab me! I don’t know anything, I swear!” Hercules replied, his hands shaking.

Judge pressed his blade closer to Hercules’ throat, leaning in closely. His tone becoming somewhat angry, he leant in towards Hercules’ ear, speaking in a half-whisper. “I’m not in the mood for games. If you don’t start talking now, this floor’s gonna be dyed red with your blood. So, I suggest you cut the crap and tell me everything you know.”

“I… I don’t know anything, sir! Really! I wish I could be more helpful…” Hercules answered, his entire body quivering with fear.

“You sure about that?” Judge replied, his knife now in contact with Hercules’ skin.

“Y-yes! I’m sure!”

Judge looked Hercules in the eye and then withdrew his blade. Putting his knife back into his pocket, he turned to the group and sighed.

“It’s not them.”

“… And how do you figure that?” Eve asked.

“I’ve done my fair share of interrogations. I know the tells of someone with something to hide.” Judge answered. “These two couldn’t hide a tennis ball from a blind man.”

“And if they’re playing you for a fool?” Eve retorted.

“Well. Our bodyguards over there will dispose of them without hesitation.” Judge replied, pointing to Chirch and Rose, who had been on high alert for the duration of the interrogation. Fourth and Hercules, sensing the tension in the air, gulped.

“What say you, Grinnington?” Judge asked. “You think it’s these two?”

Grinnington shook his head. “No. I’m in complete agreement with you, Judge. These two may be idiots… But traitors they are not.”

Fourth and Hercules breathed a sigh of relief. They would live to see another day.

“I’m still not convinced.” Eve protested. “How can you tell from a two minute questioning whether they’re innocent or not?”

Judge stood up and walked to the apartment door. Opening it, he gestured for Fourth and Hercules to stand up and leave. “You two. We’re going to be holding a meeting here at 7:30 this evening. We’ll explain what’s going on then. For now… Don’t get yourselves killed. See you later.”

Fourth and Hercules quietly stood up and shuffled towards the door. As they walked past Judge, they began to walk a little faster, still shaken from their interrogation.

“See you later…” Fourth mumbled as they exited.

As Judge closed the door, Eve charged over towards him furiously.

“Are you serious? You’re just gonna let them walk out like that based on a hunch? If they’re working with our guys… We’ve just given away our identities and our location. We’re screwed,” she barked.

“Really? I don’t think so.” Judge replied nonchalantly. Taking his phone out from his pocket, he opened up a screen showing two dots on a map, and showed it to Eve.

“What’s that supposed to be?” Eve asked.

“Seriously? You’ve never watched a spy movie?” Judge replied snarkily. “It’s a GPS tracker, showing us where our two boys are. The chips I put on them will show us their location to the nearest metre from anywhere in the underground city. Hell, they could go back to the Kingsguard Facility and I’d still be able to track them.”

“When did you…”

“Put trackers on them? When we were in the elevator up here.” Judge answered.

“… And what’s your plan?” Eve asked. “You can track them, but you’ve let them run free.”

“You underestimate me, Jackson.” Judge replied, shaking his head to feign disappointment. “The moment they’re within ten metres of a place they shouldn’t be, I’ll be alerted. If they enter a building they shouldn’t, we either kill them when they come back for the meeting, or hunt them down later.”

Eve sighed. “I hope you’re right.”

*​

1:18pm. The streets of the Underground City. Fourth and Hercules are walking about.

“Man… That was real close.” Hercules sighed, “I thought Judge was gonna kill us! Ha ha!”

“We shouldn’t have come here.” Fourth replied. “Something tells me this place is dangerous.”

“Yeah… But we can’t exactly run away right now. That’d make us look real shady.”

“True…”

“Hey, Fourth. Did you bring any money with you?” Hercules asked.

“I think I have my online banking set up on my phone.” Fourth answered.

“We can’t use that… What if someone uses it to find our identities and steal our organs?”

“… Oh. Then no, I don’t have any. Do you?” Fourth replied.

“Of course! I always carry cash on me! Better than trusting those crooked bankers with my hard earned cash.” Hercules replied proudly.

“I wouldn’t shout about that if I were you.” Fourth replied, his tone hushed.

Realising that he may have attracted pickpockets, Hercules covered his mouth. Now speaking in a whisper, he made a suggestion to Fourth.

“Hey… Why don’t we get ourselves some cool disguises like those guys had?”

“That might be a good idea… We don’t want to get recognised.” Fourth answered.

“Then what are we waiting for? Let’s get shopping!” Hercules said, excited to find himself a cool costume.

A few hours later. Fourth and Hercules exit a barbershop, their disguises complete.

“Hey, Fourth… I feel pretty cool right now. Like a real secret agent.” Hercules whispered, his voice shaking with excitement. Now sporting a box top, Hercules was dressed in a black suit and white shirt, a pair of knock-off sunglasses covering his eyes.

“Do you think we stand out too much?” Fourth asked. Wearing the exact same outfit as Hercules, his normally unkempt mane had been turned in to a sharp-looking quiff.

“Nah… I’ve seen some pretty funkily dressed guys down here. Besides, Commander Grinnington and Judge were both in suits.” Hercules replied.

“Seriously, dude. These clothes feel pretty expensive. How much cash did you have on you?” Fourth asked.

“Never you mind that!” Hercules answered. “I managed to get a pretty sweet deal from the shopkeeper on these while you were trying yours on. Apparently, we were his first customers in weeks. Something about a real gnarly assault happening outside his door. Two guys were beaten half to death by some mystery hitman. People have been avoiding the area ever since, just in case they run in to the guy. He was just happy to be making a sale, I guess.”

“Man… This place sure sounds rough.” Fourth commented, a little nervous.

As the pair walked around the underground city, they took the chance to wander around and absorb their surroundings. Whilst the area they had met their fellow Kingsguard members in had seemed very futuristic and affluent, the area they were currently in felt more like a post-apocalyptic slum. Buildings made out of metal crates stacked on top of each other, washing lines hanging over their heads, and large numbers of people peddling their wares on the streets gave the area a much less glamorous representation of life in the underworld. As they continued their exploration, a certain street peddler’s stall caught Hercules’ attention.

“Hey, Fourth. Look over there. There’s a weapons stall! I wonder what kinda cool stuff they sell down here…” Hercules said excitedly.

“The guy looks like he’s in the middle of business right now. Should we wait?” Fourth asked.

Hercules looked over to the stand. The weapons vendor seemed to be in an intense conversation with two men. Before he could suggest waiting, he saw one of the men place their hand on the pistol on their belt.

“Dude… They’re totally gonna shoot that guy! We need to help.” Hercules said to Fourth, running off before Fourth could protest. Fourth sighed, and chased after his overzealous partner. By the weapons cart, there was a heated conversation going on.

“Look, man. I can’t just give my shit away for free. A guy’s gotta eat, you know?” the weapons vendor said calmly.

“You think we give a shit? We want those guns, now,” replied one of the customers.

“If we’re happy with the quality… We’ll consider letting you become an official weapons dealer for Persephone,” replied the other customer.

“And what makes you think I’d sell weapons to her?” the vendor replied. “She’s gonna have to do better than sending two meatheaded morons to my stand.”

Meathead Moron 1, offended by the vendor’s insults, immediately drew his pistol. “Hand the guns over, now. Or I’ll shoot you.”

The vendor laughed. “My, my. Quite the hothead, aren’t you? Tell you what. I’ll give you the guns on one condition. You come behind this stall and...”

Before the vendor could finish his offer, Meathead Moron 2 pulled out his gun. As the duo prepared to fire, their attention was diverted by a voice from behind them.

“Excuse me sirs… Drop your weapons!” Hercules shouted. As the two meatheads turned, they fired at Hercules and Fourth, who were running towards them. The boys effortlessly dodged each of their shots. As they drew closer, the meatheads emptied their clip in a futile attempt to land a shot on their assailants. In their moment of hesitation, the boys leapt towards them, each launching a powerful kick to a meaty head.

“Watch out, Mr Weapons Salesman!” Hercules shouted, as the meatheads were sent flying over the weapons cart, weapons scattering across the floor. Luckily, the vendor ducked just in time. Hercules and Fourth then leapfrogged over the cart, each connecting with a kick to the chest. As the boys closed in on their opponents, the meatheads got up and tried to run away, but not before grabbing as many of the weapons that had fallen to the floor as possible. However, they were effortlessly closed down by the two young Kingsguard soldiers.

“Stop right there! Thieves!” Hercules shouted as the boys entered striking distance once again. The meatheads heard a loud bang behind them that caused them to turn around. However, they turned to see an empty street behind them. As they looked around for the boys, they heard a shout from above.

“Look above you!” Hercules shouted. As the meatheads predictably looked up, they were each met with a foot to the face; one from Fourth, the other from Hercules. Thoroughly beaten by the youngsters’ perfectly synchronised attack, they lay unconscious in the street. Hercules and Fourth picked up the stolen weapons and brought them back over to the weapons vendor.

“Here you go, sir.” Hercules said, handing over the stolen weapons.

“Thank you… You two really saved my skins back there. What’re your names?” the vendor asked.

The boys paused to think of their undercover names.

“The name’s… Cool Blue.” Hercules answered. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“The name’s Quatro.” Fourth responded.

“Well then, Blue, Quatro… I owe you big time,” the vendor replied. “Persephone’s goons have been targeting small-time weapons dealers like myself for some time now. Some have managed to resist them, but others… Weren’t so lucky.”

“Well, Mister…”

“Lark. Lark Eleazar.” Replied the vendor.

“Well, Mister Eleazar. We’re happy to help you out. It’s a crime for you to be giving weapons like these away for free.” Hercules replied, his eyes lighting up as he inspected Eleazar’s wares.

“Ha ha. Impressed by my collection, are you?” Eleazar replied, tucking his hair behind his ears.

“The craftsmanship is incredible.” Hercules replied, inspecting one of the swords on sale. “The weight distribution feels just right… And the finish is excellent. I wish I could make stuff like this.”

“You’re a weapons manufacturer?” Eleazar asked.

“Well… I’ve made weapons before, but I’m no pro.” Hercules replied. He handed the sword he was inspecting to Fourth, who gave it a few practice swings himself.

“I have an offer for the two of ya.” Eleazar said, after taking a moment to think.

“We’ve just spent a lot of money on new suits… I don’t think I can afford any of your stuff.” Hercules replied.

Eleazar laughed. “Ha ha. I’m not trying to make you a sale. If you guys are interested… I could do with a little protection. If word spreads around that Persephone’s goons got beaten up at my stall... They’ll be sending more people for me. I’ll pay you for your troubles, too. Could even teach you a thing or two about weaponsmithing if you wanted.”

“Hmm… What do you think, F… Quatro?” Hercules asked his partner.

“… We’ll have to think about it.” Fourth answered, trying to remind Hercules that they might end up on a larger mission.

Eleazar grinned, and handed them a card. “Take your time. This is my business card. If you’re interested, drop a text.” Checking all his weapons were back on his cart, Eleazar then picked up his shop and headed off. “I’ll be setting up here every day. Later!”

“Dude. This could be one hell of an adventure.” Hercules said to Fourth, barely able to contain his excitement.

“What kind of codename is Cool Blue? Are you trying to convince people you’re not a massive dork?” Fourth joked.

“I panicked, okay?” Hercules replied, his cheeks turning red. “Blue’s my favourite colour… Besides, your name isn’t that imaginative either.”

As Fourth and Hercules sulked over the criticisms of their codenames, Fourth glanced down at his watch. A look of sheer panic spread across his face.

“Dude. It’s 7:29.” Fourth said, looking up at Hercules.

“Oh no… They’re gonna kill us! Literally!” Hercules replied, panicking.

“What are we standing around here for, then?”

“You’re right… Let’s run!”

END

Character(s) Debuted:

Meatheads 1 and 2 - The story's first non-bot fodder. Expect more nameless jobbers in the future.
    @Kia as Lark Eleazar - A guy just trying to eat, man

Deathbloke and Kia like this.
  2. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

LOL I knew I overthought that preview. That interrogation though... phew. I mean, Judge’s conversation with Hades was shady enough—what’s this goal they’ve got that he’s supposed to be fulfilling? Is it somehow not at odds with KG? Setting that aside, the stowaways are in for an adventure for sure. They seem to be getting mixed up in all sorts of things. Useful, if nothing else. ^_^

Marco Polo likes this.
  3. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#3 Deathbloke, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Who is that Katsu?
    The rest of the chapter was great, can't wait for some revelations ^^

P.S. Quatro? Very creative, Fourth. Keep it up

Marco Polo likes this.
  4. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Blue and Quatro would be a pain in the a*s of the group.

Katsu?

Marco Polo likes this.
  5. Marco Polo

Expand Collapse

Judge has seen some shit for sure

Lark’s got himself some foster children, heh heh

It’s a reference

Who indeed... maybe it’s just a bowl of tonkatsu?

Kia likes this.
  6. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

upload_2019-5-7_7-56-27.gif

Yeah I cannot wait to see that play out. Pffft. He got protected just as he was threatening the goons himself. Did anyone else catch that? Sounded like he said something like how about you come across this counter—I wonder what he was going to do if anything? Is he all talk and hair?

It was stated that someone is getting a backstory... I’m guessing we’re going to eventually find out why 4th is called 4th at least in the KG world.

I decided in my head it was some guy from bygone academy days (who’s now deceased or ran off and quit KG) that got beaten (went up in flames) so badly that he became a deep-fried chicken and earned the nickname Katsu. It was more fun that way. ^_^ Also I figured we’d find out the truth in time. ^_^

7. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

To what, if I may ask??

8. Marco Polo

Expand Collapse

Also, quick update

I’m going to re-write part of this chapter because there was something I was going to do but I forgot about it while I was writing. It’s not a major change, I’ll confirm it in a post on this thread so you don’t have to re-read the chapter (the change doesn’t really affect any of the plot events that much)

9. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

“The name’s Quatro.” Fourth responded

I died. Hahahaha. Me gusta. Sugoi chapter ! And oh, what’s the katsu thing?

Marco Polo likes this.
  10. Marco Polo

Expand Collapse

RE-WRITE - Hercules' codename is now "Cool Blue". Why did I change it? That's a good question. It was the name I picked for him a while ago but completely blanked out on.

You're not the only one to ask

4thBlade likes this.
  11. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

@Marco Polo I appreciate that you’re moulding the future generation and whatnot. Also, it’s likely close to end of term... so I’m not nagging. I’m just going to express my anticipation and desire to read more whenever you can provide it.

Life is so hard
    When I don’t have Kingsguard
    It’s been tough
    If only I were buff
    Like @Deathbloke
    I could then stroke
    Your massive... ego
    And make you glow
    So words would flow
    And chapters would show
    The fruits of labor
    But there are no more
    At least not at this time
    But that’s just fine
    I’ll wait for your muse
    Real fans refuse
    To give up or go away
    So right here I'll stay.

LMAO... don’t ask me where that came from. ^_^

Deathbloke likes this.
  12. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Say whaaaaaaaaat

13. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Duuude, I said don’t ask me where the poem thingie came from. I was just messing around—I figured if I was going to pseudo-harass him about posting KG, I’d do it in a slightly creative form and that’s what came out. ^_^

14. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Oh, ok then no judging :P

@Marco Polo 50 fucking 9

Kia likes this.
  15. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Yay, more harassing!!

PS. You can judge, I can take it. It’s not like it’s that serious, I was just saying it was stream of consciousness basically :P

16. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Why judge? It was nothing

17. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

For all I know, you enjoy it. You’re the one who brought it up. You said that’s part of the fun for PAW is the voting. Far be it from me to deny you a source of joy. :P

18. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Of course :P :D

19. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than a snowflake
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

That moment when Judge joked Hercules and Fourth being incapable to hide a tennis ball from a blind man made me laugh :smile:.

Marco Polo likes this.