1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Kono Oto Tomare: Sounds of Life

Discussion in 'Anime Series' started by Kia, May 5, 2019.

1. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Kono Oto Tomare! (Kono Oto Tomare!: Sounds of Life)

Original title
    この音とまれ!
    Premiere
    April 7, 2019 JST
    Official website
    www.konooto-anime.jp
    Official twitter
    @konooto_anime
    Hashtags
    #この音とまれ

type
    TV
    source
    Manga
    episodes
    run time
    24 min
    Since the graduation of the senior members of the club, Takezou ends up being the sole member of the "Koto" (traditional Japanese string instrument) club. Now that the new school year has begun, Takezou will have to seek out new members into the club, or the club will become terminated. Out of nowhere, a new member barges into the near-abandoned club room, demanding to join the club. How will Takezou be able to keep his club alive and deal with this rascal of a new member?

[Source: MangaHelpers]

Genres
    studio(s)

https://sganime.org/category/kono-oto-tomare/
    http://www8.watch-anime.org/kono-oto-tomare/
    https://www.funimation.com/shows/kono-oto-tomare-sounds-of-life/

Johannes and dreamlovermimi like this.
  2. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

So this show is for music lovers, those who like comradery, underdogs, the list goes on. I think that if you like Carole & Tuesday, you’ll enjoy this. Be warned, this was a written medium first so there’s more story with the music. But when the music comes, whoa. @Marco Polo @Seiryu @Yumavo Cado @dreamlovermimi maybe @Chaudfontaine. I’m not sure who else would enjoy this. I could be wrong about these. ^_^

Seiryu and dreamlovermimi like this.
  3. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Noice, i'll check it out later/probably after june.

Kia likes this.
  4. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Ohh I thought of a few more people. @Judgement the music should be up your alley. @billoni I think you’ll enjoy the music as well. @Johannes depending on how varied your tastes in Japanese music are, you’ll enjoy it as well. ^_^

Judgement and billoni like this.
  5. Johannes

"If I die trying at least I tried."
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Sounds interesting :smile:! The last time I watched a music genre series are Nodame Cantabile and forgot the title of that other one (The main was a Girl and got to a prestigious academy with boys that are good with their own music instrument) I have to search for it again :grin:...I'll surely give it a try..

Kia likes this.
  6. Johannes

"If I die trying at least I tried."
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Finally remembered the second anime "Kiniro no Corda: Primo Passo" :grin:

7. Judgement

Onii-chan of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Looks and sounds beautiful!! Thankyou!

Kia likes this.
  8. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tag! I'll take your word for it on the musical aspect and check this out (good timing with Golden Week so extra time). Any outside/foreign ties for this series? I only noticed it is both Netflix and Gibson that are signing off/helping with C&T.

Hmm...I'm a bit curious on the koto aspect. That's my motherland and I'm also classically trained so I will probably like the music no matter what direction it goes in. Seems a bit unlikely to be mainstream with purely traditional music though since it's unique for instrumental/classical/historical music. I guess I'll just have to check it out.

Kia likes this.
  9. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

I don’t think there’s any outside ties at all. It seems pretty traditional to me seeing as how it’s koto music. But I didn’t look into it, honestly. I just started watching because I saw it on Hulu being simulcast. You’re more likely to be able to judge the caliber of the performances than I am seeing as how I’ve not been exposed to them previously aside from in soundtracks perhaps. But I’m enjoying what I’m hearing. ^_^

Seiryu likes this.
  10. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Yea, C&T definitely seems to be the exception. Koto is definitely an acquired taste (if only "traditional" songs are played), which is exactly why the plot of the series is the reality in Japan.

So I got to watch the first episode, and I'm a little disappointed because they teased this "life-changing performance" and completely skipped it. The reality is that Kuso-megane (crappy four-eyes) should be readily impressed since he has zero talent/music background, abilities, etc. Now I think I have even higher expectations for the club's traditional song.

I'm intrigued by a majority of the characters. I love Kudou, his fellow delinquent friend, Kudou's grandpa, the principle (speaking of which their backstory between the two of them should be interesting), etc. However, trashy four-eyes has characteristics that highly irk me (fake resolve/will/determination). Absolutely no sympathy for him.

Even with all of the background music, opening, and ending, there was never a koto being played. Just based on the gist of the plot, my ears are going to hate the learning process of everyone being complete novices (and by the looks of it, the club gets a whole bunch of members). So I can't comment on the legitimacy/skill of the performers. I'm hoping for a time warp at the end of the series in the sense that this go to song can live up to the implied hype.

Ah, maybe a good tangent to go on is that the series is implying a deviation from the "traditional" style. Of course it is a travesty to completely be void of the koto "feel"/essence. This is by far the most intriguing aspect of the series for me on what sort of modern twist they plan to execute, but this is not going to happen for a long time (unless they magically skip ahead to a later part in the school year).

11. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Hmm I don’t know about a diversion from traditional style of playing from what I saw/heard. I do know that maybe teaching style could be a diversion? If you can stick it out until the actual first performance, and then make a decision on the music and the club president, that might make a huge difference. It does take a little bit to really get going. It’s a bit of a builder. I do wonder at it only being 13 episodes, to be honest. Maybe they’re planning a second season already or there’s something I just can’t fathom planned. I didn’t read it and didn’t ask about the details when it came up in conversation previously because of my aversion to spoilers but I was assured that the manga was quite good by someone whose taste I trust.

Since you don’t mind spoilers, I’ll go ahead and tell you that you don’t really have to suffer too much bad playing really—I mean I think you’ll find the development of megane vis-a-vis the other members to be fulfilling and the relationship between music, emotions, the instruments and the club members to be gratifying. It’s important for the practicing that they do show. If that makes sense?

12. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

#12 Seiryu, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    I don't care about spoilers for anything, so I read ahead anyway.
    But that's good to know about the music and things picking up soon. I only watched episode two, so nothing really happens so far. I'm not liking the shallow/fake personality of the rich spoiled girl either. But then again, I'm sure her character/personality is going to follow the rich-child stereotype.

Since there's only five episodes, things pick up quite fast then...

Edit: @Kia
    So I got to watch episodes 3-4. I underestimated the rationality of having a genius/gifted teacher and the stereotypical hard work. Since it's only one song, it makes sense that they are rapidly picking up the basic skills of playing a koto. I'm super curious since the preview implies episode 5 is the performance to show the prick VP to stay in his own lane.

I can say that they are legitimate with the intricacies of koto playing. From the little bits of serious playing, it is nice to hear that there are still true professional level koto players. Maybe my opinion was biased by hearing local artists not being all that great, but things sound great so far.

13. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Bump for episodes 5 and 6
    Woah! That definitely exceeded my expectations! I'm used to hearing "traditional" koto music (episode 6), so episode 5 floored me just as much as the other students. Just like a symphony/orchestra/band/whatever, both aspects of harmonizing for chords or building off the beat/rhythm of others is a key part of music (what Kudou's grandpa is telling him is impossible playing on his own).

I'm probably forgetting important stuff, but that was amazing to hear...unfortunately their next song is the "snoozer" sort of music I associate with koto (as did all the other students).

I'm not liking the theme of "fake" people. Thankfully, it is ending with protagonists with this new girl. Although this new girl is forced to give up on her "bad habit" next episode already based on the preview. Considering the empty eyes she is repeatedly shown, I assume she has to have an interesting backstory. Same goes for Miss Talented. I was almost equally surprised that the story is to have her a runaway/disowned (has to be some sort of extreme if she's completely living on her own as a sophomore => Japan's school system has 3 years of middle school and 3 for high school so she's a sophomore by age/grade). So I'm super curious to get a teaser on her backstory (hopefully). Based on her and Kudou's personalities, they could literally skip over it since they both don't pry since they don't want people prying into their personal matters.

14. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

@Kia you still following the series? Episode 7 lives up to the hype your friend vouched for.

Kia likes this.
  15. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Yup. I thoroughly enjoyed it the day it came out. ^_^ But no one else was talking about it so I figured why talk to myself? Actually I didn’t realize you’d posted last here. That was my bad. I’m glad you’re still following and finding it worthwhile though!
    The dynamics between the characters are great. It’s made me happy that they’re bringing miss grumpy pants into the fold instead of letting her antics keep her isolated. It’s just been doing a lovely job of blending emotion, music and other elements to give a well rounded show, in my opinion considering the audience is supposed to be teens.

Seiryu likes this.
  16. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Yup, this series has a little bit of everything. I'm curious about this next episode. It seems like even 4-eyes has a sad past too (outside of the club failing and having it rubbed in their face by the club adviser).

I really liking the relationship building and how interwoven everyone's connections are. It's perfect how each person goes out of their way (even when it is unconscious and selfishly driven for the Kudou sidekick trio helping the genius girl) to help the next newcomer. It seems like all of the new people's backstories come full circle, so I have to think 4-eye's backstory is a whole separate entity/problem. If this explains his lack of determination, then he gets out of the negative bias for me.

Something I really like is how the author has seemingly completely different people connect over their shared sorrows/hardships. That's what life is about (working together to overcome problems) and many stories in any form of literature can't connect all the dots.

Kia likes this.
  17. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I completely forgot horrible subs were nice enough to always put soft-dubs. I go back long enough when their quality was absolute crap both for raw, translation, and timing/subbing. But I assume @Kia you've watched the newest episode too
    I'll get my one negative comment out of the way: ugh...4-eyes will probably irritate me until he fully devotes himself as the leader. Running away from his failure matches the stereotype that just rubs me the absolute wrong way. Yes, of course I like his steady development and maturation. If he were a real person, I'd probably befriend him quite quickly. To transition to the positive side, I'm REALLY hoping they introduce the male peers shown in the flashback during one or multiple of these big competitions.

Lots of positive stuff though: pacing seems to have just skyrocketed out of nowhere. We have all these new characters, and they all have something intriguing about them. Can go through all or none of them if ya want.

The one thing I'm lost at: I am not paying attention to the details of the upcoming competitions FYI. So what happened to the old traditional piece everyone is practicing? Are there just multiple competitions so they are deciding the piece for the next competition?

CRAZY levels of character development, and considering how smoothly and closely the characters are inter-webbed, damn! I guess the real test is if the author can do this for the non-protagonists too.

Speaking of which, their club adviser suddenly got more interesting. My gut says he sees himself in 4-eyes and wants to force him into either giving up or forcefully maturing faster (of course the latter for the plot). He suddenly perks up with 4-eyes taking partial leadership. He's got too keen of an ear to truly have no musical background. His backstory has got me intrigued.

I'm gonna have to depend on you Kia (since I literally very rarely follow series outside of WSJ), but what "category" of manga/anime is this? I'm human, so I'm not going to complain about the fan service (which appears to be equal for all: male, female, LGBT, or anything else). But the author seems to be going out of his/her way to introduce as many sexual stereotypes. I also cannot overlook how blushing is excessively of the sexual presentation/physiological effect (vs. the embarrassment/shock blushing). I.E. they purposefully draw anatomically/physiologically correct sex-blushing when the context implies other physiological types of blushing. I can only speak to observing the females, but based on the now seemingly constant fan service, I have to assume the male side is the same.

Genius-girl and Kudou were destined and foreshadowed constantly (hell I think they even had a scene someplace, showing them hooking up). However, it seems too much to have any other relationship on the same level (which appears there will not be so far).

I'm already getting tired of the 3-sidekicks being the horny comedic relief, but I guess most teens get excited over anything with two legs at that age. This is why I LOVED to see the tall guy speak his mind fully to Kudou.

Speaking of the people that help Kudou out, you got any strong thoughts on the other delinquent friend? This guy has his s*** together, and seemingly in all aspects, so I'm curious to see when and what he does to help out. He's too interesting/talented to be a glorified cheerleader the entire series.

I'm gonna be more direct: I don't know the series you follow/likes/preferences, but from the discussions we've had, this series seems right up your alley. I could be misreading something of course.

18. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

I actually have been a little behind this week what with traveling so I’ve now caught up on this one at least. As for the genres, it doesn’t seem to have romance listed anywhere that I’ve checked for the manga or anime. There’s slice of life, shounen, drama, music, school but that’s about it. I have noticed the implied attraction but I’ve definitely read more towards embarrassment at the direction her own thoughts were taking as she’s one to be easily embarrassed.

Yes, they’ve chosen a piece for the big competition but need a piece for the smaller showcases. Or that was my understanding.

Oh it was perfect when he got read the riot act and explained how he deserved to play his koto. That totally needed to happen. It was something that both he and Hozuki needed to face, honestly. In different ways, of course. But being pushed to play full force and in an upfront manner by their club mates was good for them. They each needed to face themselves and their music.

As for the club president, he seems to be full of trepidation yet willing to face things for the sake of the club and the goal. The fact that the new girl gets along with the advisor was interesting. I look forward to seeing the continued dynamics between him and the club members. I foresee something delightful coming to light.

I’m not really sure what you’re asking as far as what I like in shows, etc. I mean I have extremely diverse tastes and do thoroughly enjoy this one. So you’re right there. ^_^

Seiryu likes this.
  19. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Short on time, so I'll come back and edit tonight.

20. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Just like Oda's obviously done research on "cry faces", and this guy/gal mangaka either has a "gift" or has repetition/research to have physiologically correct subtleties of sex driven "blushing" for most of the females. The talkative koto-rival girl didn't have it, but the accuracy makes me feel like I'm watching an ecchi anime when it comes up. I should clarify that their body/body language is the embarrassment, and same goes for eyes/eye contact, but the facial features and especially the eye shape just makes it feel out of place for me since I see these sorts of petty details.
    Ah, that makes sense so thanks for that. Definitely good that this anime series should stick around for a while.
    I 100% agree, but the entire series revolves around genius girl and Kudou (all the other protagonists have very strong ties to one or both of them). So the heavy romance influence/percentage just reminds me of shoujou, which I would follow anyway since I've taken a liking to several aspects of the series.
    Did Kurasu (the new girl => I only know her name because I have to think her name is purposely really close to "karasu" which is crow in Japanese and the animal that says "idiot, idiot" as it's sound effect) really get along with Capt. Killjoy? I thought she was just putting on her usual fake facade (how she forcefully warms up to people before she tried to tear them apart). I will 100% agree on something coming up (and hopefully soon).

I'm personally hoping he truly has zero music background and failed at something completely unrelated to music.
    Oh, no worries. I got my answer with things being busy for ya. From a purely selfish standpoint: if you were going to bring me into the series, I'd hold an eternal grudge for being left hanging (overreaction of course). Like if one of the 3 sidekicks suddenly decided "I'm over the club. I just wanna chase tail someplace else", my brain would perceive being left out like the remaining two. Probably more a weird side-effect from having expectations for the series, but I'm at my difficult point of trying to find the right level of attention to not figure out too much of the series.

Speaking of which, am I literally imagining/creating scenes? Did they have any foreshadowing/future scenes within the episodes? I'm not too fond of the opening/ending music so I only watched it once, so maybe my brain remembers genius girl/Kudou hooking up from one of those scenes. I'll probably watch the animation for next week's episode to check for myself.