1. Participate in the Monthly PAW May 2018 with a special category for our anniversary!
  2. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Least Liked Naruto Character?

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Red, May 4, 2015.

1. General Zoro

Expand Collapse

I know someone who had once said all these about Danzo.

Why I don't like him is simple. He puts the village first and only the village. Hashirama said he will kill anyone who threatens the village....friend, child, brother....but why? He cares for the village because of the people it protects. The village is a shield that protects the people and he is a sword that defends that shield.

Danzo sees the people as a shield that defends the village with him as a sword that can strike anyone in his way even the villagers. He has clear though inhumane values and I like him for that but his lack of humanity is what I hate him for. People like Hashirama, Naruto, Hiruzen see war, assassinations and such as a last resort. Danzo sees those things as the only way to solve a problem.

And his actions, he didn't help with the Kyubi incident, Orochimaru invasion and Pain invasion. He didn't care to defend the village or villagers if it isn't on his terms.

Yuuzume likes this.
  2. camoramo24

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

If your talking about characters I hate because of the way they are. I absolutely hate sakura.

3. Behnam

The one who wants CHOIce
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I hate:
    1. Sakura
    2. Sasuke
    3. 3rd Hokage

4. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Don't get me wrong, I think Danzo's an awful human being. I'm just saying that the fact that he's been painted as a villain is the trick of Kishi more than the result of his own sinister nature. Danzo is the kind of person you want to be sitting at a table commanding troops during a war. He will not hesitate to make hard choices to win. He has neither bloodlust nor pacifism; he won't waste troops but he won't hesitate to send them to their deaths for the sake of victory.

To him, not every life is worth the same, and it's all viewed through the lens of victory by any means - where in his case victory is peace for the Leaf. Those who maintain peace in the Leaf (Hokage, and other leaders including himself) are worth more than the villagers, the villagers are worth more than anyone else in the world, and a threat to the world has worth in the negatives - they need to die.

He has an immense spy network established throughout the entire world and he would do all in his power to enter any battle with the advantage. We get the impression that he believed the acquisition of the dozen Izanami eyes on his arm made him invincible - especially given that in the decades since he first acquired them, all the way through to his old age, he was strong enough that he never even had to use them until the end.

To directly address some of your points, @Yuuzume the "end doesn't justify means" point is something that would go over the head of Danzo. There is no morality when it comes to the peace of the Leaf; there is only success or failure. However, you say "the means come back to bite you" as though it's an adage that Danzo wouldn't comprehend, or was too inhuman to fathom. Nono, he understands. In his line of work, they're referred to as loose ends. To him, it was weakness on Itachi's part that he requested to spare Sasuke, and weakness on the part of the 3rd Hokage to grant the request. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Danzo argued against leaving any survivors.

You're next point about him not letting himself be chosen is a character flaw, and thank God he has it. He knew his life had great value, and that it was less than the Hokages' at the time, but I imagine he was unprepared for when he'd have to compare the two values. If you doubt his resolve, you need to look no further than how he died. When he was caught, not only did he not hesitate, he was actively looking for opportunities to end his life so the enemy (of the Leaf) could never get access to everything he knew and compromise the countless spy networks, or access his knowledge of the secrets of the Leaf, or the resources he had at his disposal (esp. Shisui's eye).

And finally I disagree with the idea that he had a "pure and honest resolve who simply went down the wrong path". He didn't go down the wrong path. He went down the exact path he knew he would go down. He was pure and honest in his work to keep Konoha safe and stable, and fight its enemies. I'd argue he was more pure and honest than any man could ever be in a promise they'd made. If you promise your fellow soldier that you'd kill them before you let them be captured and tortured by the enemy, wouldn't you struggle to follow through? This is because morality and friendship and emotion and sentimentality would corrupt this promise. You don't want to kill your friend, you don't want to be someone who murders their friend. But you promised. Your resolve isn't pure. Truly pure resolve would follow through without hesitation. That's the kind of resolve Danzo has.

With @General Zoro , the only parts I disagree with are when you say "Danzo sees those things as only way to solve a problem". He's not close-minded when it comes to peaceful alternatives. He simply has no reservations to take the best and surest path to victory; be it peaceful or violent.

When it comes to his behaviour during village threatening incidents, he justifies himself by thinking "If I hide here, and survive this assault, then the villagers who remain will have someone to lead them, and the Foundation to defend them. No matter how things play out, I am the insurance that the Leaf will still exist when the dust settles". He explicitly says this (though more succinctly) when we check in on him during Pain's assault. Good and evil, honour and no honour; these things mean nothing to him. He will make sure the Leaf will carry on and prosper.

kaizokugari, General Zoro and Yuuzume like this.
  5. Judgement

Tell me... THIS IS ALL JUST SOME JOKE!
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Narotu :v

6. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki Member of the Season
    Expand Collapse

That doesn't really go against what I was saying actually.I wasn't saying that from a moral standpoint where retribution comes to evil people or something.Danzo is a man who,when he determines a "best result",will use any means available to him to achieve it.But considering the means he mostly used,they left behind loose ends that he then tried to plug.Perhaps it would have possible to use different means to get a result that wouldn't be as good as the first one.But Danzo would only be content with what he considered the "best result". In Uchiha's case,even if Itachi hadn't spared Sasuke,Itachi himself would still be considered a loose end.So even though Danzo knew that there would be some if he used those means,he still went ahead and did it because the best result for him was not peace in the village,it was the extermination of the Uchiha and the acquisition of their eyes.

As for his death,he certainly didn't hesitate and I don't doubt that his reason for that particular way of dying was for the sake of the hidden leaf.But it was a decision that didn't reflect his resolve as much as the one with the 2nd Hokage.When Danzo lost against Sasuke,who wanted him dead more than he wanted to breathe,there was no doubt that he would be killed,whether or not information was extracted from him first.So in the end,he made a choice between two types of death and chose the one that best benefited the village.But in the case involving the 2nd Hokage,it was a choice between dying and living,living was a viable option.That made the decision that much heavier and Danzo's resolve wasn't strong enough to withstand the pressure.So I agree with you on the facts about how he died,but a better representation of his resolve in my eyes,was the choice he made (or rather,didn't make) when they were surrounded.

Totally agree with you.Perhaps I wasn't clear enough and caused the misunderstanding,but I didn't mean that he was 'walking down the right path and then went down the wrong path". I meant that he had just pure resolve and nice intentions even before choosing a path,but unfortunately,the only way that he saw those ambitions being fulfilled was by walking down the path that he chose (voluntarily of course). Like the Uchiha's,like I said before too.They too,had a pure quality at first (love) and most of them chose the path of hatred when it was time to make a choice (Itachi and Shisui didn't,two of the most badass characters ever). So I agree with you that he knew what path he was walking on,that he had pure intentions and was honest but I don't know if I'd call that particular path "right",that's all.

kaizokugari, General Zoro and Jawahib like this.
  7. Jawahib

Expand Collapse

You raise good points here. I guess all we can do at this point is acknowledge that we see these things differently and disagree :)
    Just to address this though: he didn't leave loose ends. That was his thing. It was only when the Third Hokage hijacked the plan did it become a loose end. And Itachi wouldn't have been a loose end: it was already decided that he would spy for the Akatsuki, which is what he went on to do anyway, regardless of Sasuke's survival. Arguably the only loose end he ever left unchecked became his final downfall.

Just a disclaimer: I don't support Danzo's actions or beliefs, but I respect his character because of them. I could much more easily say why he's vile and worthy of the hate he gets, but I can acknowledge the good results of his actions. He's someone who gets in the way of any kind of co-operation or unity between villages, since he only cares about the Leaf and has no desire to pursue those other things. Those things hold him back as a strong leader. He holds on to the idea of the Leaf village more strongly than anyone else thinks is necessary; most believe he is an extremist. He's the kind of person who would abhor the Allied Shinobi Forces, where the Leaf becomes indistinguishable from the rest. I think his experience in the war caused his heart to divide between Leaf and non-Leaf, and favour Leaf in all things, at the expense of his humanity, his decency, and his very identity.

kaizokugari, General Zoro and Yuuzume like this.
  8. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Expand Collapse

I can agree on disagreeing on the other 2 points since they're dependent on the perspective you're looking at them from,but I'll answer to this because it's more about a fact than an opinion.

Danzo did create this loose end on his own.Itachi's "weakness" may have been involved,but that wouldn't have occurred if he hadn't been made to carry out Danzo's plan,so that was the trigger for Sasuke's situation.Because if they had gone with Shisui's plan,Sasuke would be alive and he wouldn't have hated Itachi (at first),and then forgiven him and directed his hate toward Danzo.Basically,if they hadn't gone with Danzo's plan,he wouldn't have gotten Shisui's eye,but he wouldn't have Sasuke chasing him down either.So ultimately,he's the one who created that loose end by deciding to carry out that particular plan.As for the 3rd Hokage,he's not entirely relevant.The main reason that Sasuke was left untouched is because Itachi blackmailed Danzo with the threat of leaking information to another nations.His deal with Hiruzen was simply extra insurance.

Another example of his means coming back to bite him would be when he had persuaded Kakashi to spy on Hiruzen.He used the information that Kakashi provided him to try and kill off Hiruzen,but it backfired when Kakashi revealed Danzo's plan to Hiruzen.The only reason he was left alive after that was Hiruzen's mercy.So while he may be careful not to leave loose ends,his greed tends to affect him and blind him to certain possibilities which then create loose ends.

kaizokugari and Jawahib like this.
  9. General Zoro

Expand Collapse

Danzo would rather let the village burn so he can rule what is left than actually put of the fire.

He might have had an uncompromising resolve to always protect the village against any and all enemies he percieves, but he was also ruled by ambition which stemmed from his rivalry with Hiruzen. The reason he chose the shadows was because he couldn't compete with Hiruzen in the light.

As @Yuuzume said, when there was a life or death choice, he would rather live for himself than die for someone else.

He would have hated the Allied Shinobi Force but because the Leaf wasn't at the top of it not because they were all one. He was all for it when he was making Mifune make him Grand Commander.

kaizokugari and Yuuzume like this.
  10. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Expand Collapse

I agree with this.I can't deny his resolve for the Leaf's betterment and his contributions to realizing that ambition but he gives off a different feeling than the Hokage,whoch stems from what General Zoro mentions,"ambition".

Unlike the Hokage,who either didn't even sought for the position or sought for it in order to protect the villagers out of appreciation,there was greed,ambition and arrogance involved in Danzo's case.All of them pictured a better hidden Leaf,but in Danzo vision of it,he was the one who had to be in a position of power ruling over everyone else.

kaizokugari likes this.
  11. Jawahib

Expand Collapse

At any rate, the Sasuke loose end was not part of Danzo's plan. It was created beyond his control, and by the time it existed, the plan was already in motion and had too much momentum to be stopped. When Danzo is the one with the final word, no loose ends are left. I admit I didn't remember that Itachi blackmailed him, but I recall pretty clearly that officially at least, it was a request made to Hiruzen which he granted.
    Can't remember this scene well enough to comment on it, but at a guess I'd say that Danzo underestimated Kakashi's loyalty, and this resulted in his being exposed. Definitely a mistake was made here regarding Kakashi on Hiruzen's part. If he'd actually used one of his own Foundation members he might have succeeded.
    True he'd choose life over death, but that was because he believed no one could fulfil his role as well as he could. Thus he would rather live for the Leaf than die for someone else.
    And also, more importantly, because his business was the business of the shadows. He dealt in assassinations, blackmail, manipulating foreign powers (he had a part in the Hidden Rain catastrophe if I'm not mistaken) - things that he needed to do from the shadows so they never tied back to the Leaf.

12. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I never liked Orochimaru

13. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Expand Collapse

Well yeah,if everything was up to Danzo to decide and everything went according to plan,then of course there would be no loose ends.Not just for Danzo,for anyone really.But the fact is that it was his plan,and because he didn't factor in everything or miscalculated,those loose ends were created.Of course,Itachi was involved,but Danzo could have picked a plan where no loose end was left.But that other plan probably woouldn't involve him getting Shisui and every other Uchiha's eyes.Since he's the one who took the initiative and executed his plan,any loose ends being left (at least a part of them,and relatively big too) should be attributed to him too.

The request was indeed made,of course,I agree with that too and I said it as well.But it was more of an insurance,the result would presumably be quite similar even without it,considering Itachi's blackmail.

Assuming that he probably chose Kakashi because Hiruzen would trust him,compared to a foundation member for whom he would have doubts about,I can't really say whether or not that hypothetical scenario would play out.It could very well play out in either way,Hiruzen not trusting the foundation member or Danzo managing to kill Hiruzen.But considering the existing scenario,Kakashi filled Danzo's requirements for a spy so he "persuaded" him to spy for him.That "persuasion" would be the means I suppose,which backfired.Granted,hypothetically speaking,it might not had backfired,but literally speaking,we know it did.

I can see what you mean by that.I can agree with it up to a point,if we assume that Danzo would have indeed don a good job leading the hidden Leaf.However,in that particular case,the one who he'd be giving his life for wasn't just some villager or a random person,he'd be giving it to save the Hokage.The second Hokage could be said to have been the one who has done the most for the hidden Leaf (from a technical standpoint),so giving up his life to save him could easily be considered equal to giving his life for the sake of the hidden Leaf.

kaizokugari and General Zoro like this.
  14. General Zoro

Expand Collapse

Actually, Danzo would rather live than die for the Leaf. No matter the threat, Danzo would rather weather it out and protect himself than die for the sake of the village unless there is no choice between life and death.I won't be surprised if he was alive during the war,and he didn't participate. He would stay at home to "protect" it whereas use that opportunity to gain more influence any hope the Future Hokage candidates die so he can be the next Hokage.

He chose that business because he is a dictatorial autocrat. If he came out to say someone needs to be eliminated or so, he knows he would face opposition. He cowardly crawled into the shadows and did as he wanted because he can't bear the decision been taken away from him.

15. servo

Expand Collapse

Hmm thinks about it and well there is always DANZO to hate :P

16. Cora-San

Expand Collapse

Who remembers the hate we had for Itatchi, Nagato and Obito. They’re now one of the most loved.

But on topic it’s gotta be Danzo or Sakura (I know, I know I just find her extremely annoying)

servo likes this.
  17. servo

Expand Collapse

lol hahahaha rather than hated she was annoying [​IMG]

Cora-San and Behnam like this.
  18. Behnam

The one who wants CHOIce
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#58 Behnam, May 21, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 10:18 AM
    I don't care about Danzo, but this girl is just the most annoying person that I've seen in my life. Even more annoying than Sasuke. Though after killing Danzo, I was with Sasuke-kun.

Cora-San and servo like this.
  19. Cora-San

Expand Collapse

At 2:45 for something that should have happened.